[Irrelevant point] to stop taking the knee

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
There are a number of black players no longer taking the knee, some of them citing that it has lost its effectiveness. Of course though a white player cannot be of the same mindset and should merrily go along with it until told otherwise.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Well I guess it's his choice and forcing him to do it kind of ruins the message really.

That said, if I was a player (which I'm not) and was white (which I am) I personally would keep taking the knee as long as my non-white teammates still thought it was having a good impact. I don't feel qualified to make that choice.
I think this sums it up perfectly

RedCurry

His first and only job is to be a footballer. Football is a team sport. Sometimes you just do something for the team even if you don’t personally want to do it.

There are black players in that dressing room and regardless of what he might think, his teammates won’t appreciate him not taking the knee. Talk about unnecessary negative limelight during a period where the team is shining for all the right reasons.

RUCK4444

Well I guess it's his choice and forcing him to do it kind of ruins the message really.

That said, if I was a player (which I'm not) and was white (which I am) I personally would keep taking the knee as long as my non-white teammates still thought it was having a good impact. I don't feel qualified to make that choice.
Yeah that’s what the standard response from such a person should be.

What good does him coming out and doing this do him or the cause itself? None.

I just think some like to make things about them instead of showing solidarity and just getting it done because they all know it’s for a good cause ffs.

Withnail

Agreed to be honest. How long do we want to demand players to do this? 5 years? 10 years? Even a couple of non-white footballers themselves don't really see the value anymore.

I think it's more powerful to expose racist messages like a couple of footballers have done. Show these messages on social media, and have the cops deal with it.
No one is demanding the players do anything.

It was the players idea in the first place and they also decided to keep it up before this season started as far as I'm aware.

0le

Not sure how I feel about it all.

Whilst taking the knee was a good gesture at first, I am no longer sure whether it is still having the same sort of impact. There have previously been armbands, posters and initiatives such as "kick it out". But in my opinion none of them have really been successful because the relevant authorities in charge continue to issue weak fines or punishments. For example, Hungary were today(?) just punished with a behind closed doors game and a ~£150k fine [1] which in my opinion is a weak punishment.

I have wondered whether both teams walking off the pitch in unison against racism would have the desired affect. This would disrupt the TV viewing figures and the loss in revenue may lead to more urgent action taken by the relevant authorities.

SER19

Surprised by the reactions in here. Equating his choice to racism makes the whole thing far too binary. His choice is the same as Zahas and if players do or don't want to take the knee after 18 months of doing so then that's their right, as it is the right of a player to kneel.

There's no strength in half hearted symbolism from players who don't agree with the gesture. For example, should he kneel next week what does it demonstrate but a mam cowed into doing it

Stacks

His first and only job is to be a footballer. Football is a team sport. Sometimes you just do something for the team even if you don’t personally want to do it.

There are black players in that dressing room and regardless of what he might think, his teammates won’t appreciate him not taking the knee. Talk about unnecessary negative limelight during a period where the team is shining for all the right reasons.
If I was his spokesman or PR man we could navigate around it. I mean racial injustice is not the only issue in society. He could say he is "standing for the LGBTQ community or "standing up against homophobia." Maybe "Standing for Palestine" or something like that

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surprised by the reactions in here. Equating his choice to racism makes the whole thing far too binary. His choice is the same as Zahas and if players do or don't want to take the knee after 18 months of doing so then that's their right, as it is the right of a player to kneel.

There's no strength in half hearted symbolism from players who don't agree with the gesture. For example, should he kneel next week what does it demonstrate but a mam cowed into doing it
Zaha is someone who is directly effected by racism, he also ran his decision by his teammates. Alonso is not, nor did he tell his teammates. It’s different.

devilo

Zaha is someone who is directly effected by racism, he also ran his decision by his teammates. Alonso is not, nor did he tell his teammates. It’s different.
Different how? He's white and chooses not to kneel and gets labelled a racist. Surely he's entitled to make his own decision about whether to kneel or not without being judged?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Well if he's referring to the always offended by pretty much anything brigade, then yes.
Damn that pesky brigade that find racism offensive, ruining everything for everyone.

This is the most sensible approach yet and I'm glad it got a like. I'm tired of hearing white people opine about racism and what everyone should and shouldn't do about it.

Smores

It's a bit of an odd move isn't it. Didn't all teams individually agree these things at the start of the season?

Whatever your opinion is, is it that important to him that he feels the need to go against his team.

Feels like he should have just had an internal discussion and kept his doubts in the dressing room.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's human garbage
He is racist. He is on par with people who refuse to take the vaccine.
Who the feck does Marcus Alonso think he is, isn’t this a Black Lives Matter movement. Shouldn’t the black collective be deciding what steps to take next, I wonder if he’s ever been racially abused.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he attends the Spain games behind a monkey suit.
:lol:

I know, but of all the words he could have chosen ('common sense', 'the common people', whatever), he went with 'decency' and I really don't get that one.
It's code for racist white people.

SER19

Im not really convinced by this argument, my point, regardless of how one sees the gesture is that an individual needs to be free to make any individual decision they want and deal with the consequences. He has his reasons for finding the gesture pointless so stands respectfully and points at his badge. The reaction from some suggests he's gone out and done a straight armed salute. Once the gesture is coerced or pressured, its absolutely pointless

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Different how? He's white and chooses not to kneel and gets labelled a racist. Surely he's entitled to make his own decision about whether to kneel or not without being judged?
he can certainly make his own decision about whether to make a universally acceoted gesture against racism or not, but fir sure he will be judged for it and rightly so.

stevoc

As soon as Nigel Farage comes out in support of something you're doing it should make you realise you've misjudged the situation and to do a quick u-turn.

Giggs' right foot

"Just in - [Irrelevant point] ceases to take the knee since racism is still a thing. Coming up: Worldwide cancer research is put on hold, since a brave man pointed out, that cancer is still a thing. More on this story, as it develops."

fecking guy

RedCurry

If I was his spokesman or PR man we could navigate around it. I mean racial injustice is not the only issue in society. He could say he is "standing for the LGBTQ community or "standing up against homophobia." Maybe "Standing for Palestine" or something like that
Then they pissed off the “woke” and the “anti-woke” crowd at the same time. I don’t think he would do that. Maybe he will donate some money to charity as that seems the most non-controversial rich person thing to do to buy some goodwill. But at least the first few games the limelight will be on him and his relationship with key players like Lukaku and Kante.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
The drunk driving killer is obviously a moron.

As for Farage: he's subhuman filth. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but when someone who uses the terms "woke", "snowflake", "cancel culture" "virtue-signalling" etc in a debate, I just think "well, I won't be needing my fuc*ing brain for the next 15 minutes".

EngimaMK

Who the feck does Marcus Alonso think he is, isn’t this a Black Lives Matter movement. Shouldn’t the black collective be deciding what steps to take next, I wonder if he’s ever been racially abused.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he attends the Spain games behind a monkey suit.
Now that's pretty racist.

Kag

Out of curiosity what is the end game with the whole taking the knee thing? I mean will it just become a permanent thing before all matches until the end of time? Obviously racism exists and should be combated but surely people comprehend that it's impossible to wipe out.
Well, I’d like to think we can eradicate monkey chants in UK football stadiums. Ambitious but not beyond comprehension.

I’m pleased that Alonso’s view of ‘strength’ seems to be pointing towards a badge. He comes across as a prize plonker.

Oranges038

While he looks like a twat, which he probably is anyway.

The whole thing seems like it has pretty much lost all meaning at this stage.

Flytan

Well, I’d like to think we can eradicate monkey chants in UK football stadiums. Ambitious but not beyond comprehension.

I’m pleased that Alonso’s view of ‘strength’ seems to be pointing towards a badge. He comes across as a prize plonker.
My point is what happens? You go two months without racism then an incident happens and it's brought back? It's just so poorly planned without any clear goal. Is it treated like terrorism levels with like "threat level red: take the knee"?

It's a gesture with a great meaning behind it but it has no way to actually get anything done. If they make it a permanent thing just as a reminder or something, cool makes sense. But it just feels like something you can't quantify.

Kag

My point is what happens? You go two months without racism then an incident happens and it's brought back? It's just so poorly planned without any clear goal. Is it treated like terrorism levels with like "threat level red: take the knee"?

It's a gesture with a great meaning behind it but it has no way to actually get anything done. If they make it a permanent thing just as a reminder or something, cool makes sense. But it just feels like something you can't quantify.
The goal is to draw attention to it. This thread, as well as our current dialogue, would suggest that it’s still working.

What else would you like to see happen?

Moby

Dick

The purpose is awareness. Something like racism isn't gonna be eradicated overnight, so if that is your goal then there isn't a single plan that can achieve that. The first step to every problem is awareness, and even if 5-10 fans out of those watching every game come to know just how bad making a racist comment or gesture - even if not meant in a racist manner - is and the fact that every player is willing to display their reaction to everyone watching, it is good enough and making a difference.

Trequarista10

I don't really understand the argument that "it's no longer having an impact" - what metrics are, or could possibly be used, to measure what impact its having?

It's not and never could be something that will change things overnight, it's about making people think and reflect, and resulting change could only possibly emerge over many years (generations, possibly). Sure initially it might have had a burst of immediate impact, but beyond that it's a message that needs repetition and consistency.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Sorry Marcus, but as a white male, it is not your job to decide when it's time to stop taking the knee. If you believe in the cause, keep taking it...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
After the intense Phil Jones "debates", this seems the place to be for temper tantrums. :lol:
Always the same angry suspects with their righteous indignation. I wonder if the energy spent venting on here was spent on actually fighting racism them they might feel a tad more fulfilled

dove

This really makes the headlines? :lol: I shouldn't be surprised I guess... He can do whatever he wants, taking a knee or not taking a knee doesn't make him any more racist than anyone else. So much overreaction as always.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This really makes the headlines? :lol: I shouldn't be surprised I guess... He can do whatever he wants, taking a knee or not taking a knee doesn't make him any more racist than anyone else. So much overreaction as always.
Plus he may have actually discussed this with his teammates?

Or maybe he should have asked Caf posters what they thought?