Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Agreed. Though I'd call it very lucky.
You also have to consider he actually gets forward about as much as Darmian so that 1 in 10 good crosses (being generous) averages out to 1 good cross every 10 matches. His whole crossing technique is to just smash it as hard as he can and hope for the best. In fact that is his technique for everything, just smash the ball as hard as he can. His passing out from the back is bloody diabolical, just random hoofs down the line.

Jaybomb

I don't understand why this guy gets so much flack. We're lacking in defensive options and who's really better? Smalling's had a decent season but he's not a better player than Rojo. Not in my eyes.

Smalling got consistent game time at CB and has had no injuries. Rojo's been filling in at LB. He needs a tough CB beside him, that's why I was really hoping we were gonna sign Otamendi last year.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't understand why this guy gets so much flack. We're lacking in defensive options and who's really better? Smalling's had a decent season but he's not a better player than Rojo. Not in my eyes.

Smalling got consistent game time at CB and has had no injuries. Rojo's been filling in at LB. He needs a tough CB beside him, that's why I was really hoping we were gonna sign Otamendi last year.
I think Smalling is much better than Rojo.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119

Rojo better than Smalling? Can I have some of what you're smoking

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Nutty.

ti vu

No idea what we were at with that whole Vermaelen lark. LvG eh....
LvG it's.

Point is it's not buying players after tournament is the issue. It's some stupid preference from the manager (here is LVG) that caused the mess. Can't expect to dodge 2 bullets going into battlefield (left foot fetish).

Jaybomb

I think Smalling is much better than Rojo.
Smalling is your typical average English player. He's a mid table player. Rojo has got something special about him. He's a bit like David Luiz in a sense, you either love him or hate him. But the fact is, these types of defenders are always more successful than the likes of Smalling and Jones and Shawcross and the like. The media hypes these guys up as "REAL proper defenders" but the truth is, they never accomplish anything. The best teams in the world always have a defender who takes risks, passes it out from the back and isn't afraid to try something. The media paint these guys as donkeys but its funny cause their accomplishments speak for themselves. Real have Ramos, Barca have Pique and PSG have Luiz. You ask a Paul Merson or a Jamie Redknapp and he will try and convince HIMSELF that somebody like Gary Cahill could do a better job.

Rojo has starred in 3 finals for Argentina in the past 2 years including a World Cup where he managed to get into the Team of the Tournament. Smalling will never ever accomplish that. He's not talented enough.

CM

Smalling is your typical average English player. He's a mid table player. Rojo has got something special about him. He's a bit like David Luiz in a sense, you either love him or hate him. But the fact is, these types of defenders are always more successful than the likes of Smalling and Jones and Shawcross and the like. The media hypes these guys up as "REAL proper defenders" but the truth is, they never accomplish anything. The best teams in the world always have a defender who takes risks, passes it out from the back and isn't afraid to try something. The media paint these guys as donkeys but its funny cause their accomplishments speak for themselves. Real have Ramos, Barca have Pique and PSG have Luiz. You ask a Paul Merson or a Jamie Redknapp and he will try and convince HIMSELF that somebody like Gary Cahill could do a better job.

Rojo has starred in 3 finals for Argentina in the past 2 years including a World Cup where he managed to get into the Team of the Tournament. Smalling will never ever accomplish that. He's not talented enough.
This post is so flawed that I don't even know where to begin

RedStarUnited

Just another reminder of how short-sighted it is to buy players off an international tournament showing.
Except, He has had 3 solid tournaments for Argentina not just one. They have reached the final in all of those tournaments and only lost after extra time (3 nil-nils). He is more than fine for Argentina.

I dont know what it is about him, but I actually like him. Would rather Jones is sold before him.

sincher

Just because a player has some good games in an international tournament it does not mean that player can perform for you in the league (or CL, or other cups) to the expected standard. Smalling has done the latter, Rojo certainly hasn't and the jury is out as to whether he has it in him. Guess which is more important as a player for United...

AkaAkuma

Having the adidas logo so visible is clearly a marketing strategy, yet this muppet wears a nike hat. There were stories floating around during last years pre season that he was being difficult, this puts it into perspective for me.

RedStarUnited

Just because a player has some good games in an international tournament it does not mean that player can perform for you in the league (or CL, or other cups) to the expected standard. Smalling has done the latter, Rojo certainly hasn't and the jury is out as to whether he has it in him. Guess which is more important as a player for United...
But what if they have done it in 3 consecutive tournaments in 3 years?

Having the adidas logo so visible is clearly a marketing strategy, yet this muppet wears a nike hat. There were stories floating around during last years pre season that he was being difficult, this puts it into perspective for me.
Considering how often he tweets United related stuff, I doubt he is being difficult at all. All he needed was one of our marketing guys to tell him to turn the hat around...

AkaAkuma

But what if they have done it in 3 consecutive tournaments in 3 years?

Considering how often he tweets United related stuff, I doubt he is being difficult at all. All he needed was one of our marketing guys to tell him to turn the hat around...
What does he tweet? Ive got him on my feed and it generally seems to be him in a united kit with some graphics around it.

Its a strange coincidence that the hats the same colour as the bag and training kit.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan

That's ridiculous. How is that any different than Rio wearing his 5 gear? Footballers always do this when they're sponsored by a different outfit than their team.

AkaAkuma

That's ridiculous. How is that any different than Rio wearing his 5 gear? Footballers always do this when they're sponsored by a different outfit than their team.
Quiet a bit different, Nike are a direct rival to Adidas, two companies that competed for the rights to produce the clubs merchandise. I understand that players have their own obligations to their sponsors, but i don't see it as a seredipitous circumstance that Rojo had a similar coloured nike hat in his bag to match his flight clothes.

The guys are carrying adidas rucksacks, the type kids take to school, you don't have to be a genius to see that an effort has been made by the club to promote adidas gear. I think if you've got any wits about you, you put the clothes on, see it as part of your job and maybe not bother with the matching Nike hat - because it kinda goes against what the clubs trying to do.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

I would trust blind over Rojo. feck I'd trust Jones over him but he's always injured. I have never been impressed by Rojo. A nothing player.

ChaddyP

matching colour too :lol:

Jaybomb

Blind made Smalling look good. He's not a proper CB but his reading of the game is up there with the best. Smalling switches off and makes stupid decisions sometimes. Blind covered that.

If Smalling was beside Jones, he would become the Smalling of old again. The only reason LVG didn't play Blind and Rojo was because they were both left footed and in LVG's mind, this is a big issue. For the record, Smalling was terrible in the Champions League for us.

Jaybomb

I would trust blind over Rojo. feck I'd trust Jones over him but he's always injured. I have never been impressed by Rojo. A nothing player.
I'd love to know your logic behind this. Rojo is a starter for Argentina, one of the best national sides in the world. What have those guys ever achieved? Jones isn't even good enough for the England team. And Blind didn't even qualify for the Euros. Rojo is more of a CB than Blind is.

Jaybomb

What a load of bollocks :lol: Plenty of our players wear Nike boots and nobody complains about it. Highly doubt Adidas care about a Nike Snapback...

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Quiet a bit different, Nike are a direct rival to Adidas, two companies that competed for the rights to produce the clubs merchandise. I understand that players have their own obligations to their sponsors, but i don't see it as a seredipitous circumstance that Rojo had a similar coloured nike hat in his bag to match his flight clothes.

The guys are carrying adidas rucksacks, the type kids take to school, you don't have to be a genius to see that an effort has been made by the club to promote adidas gear. I think if you've got any wits about you, you put the clothes on, see it as part of your job and maybe not bother with the matching Nike hat - because it kinda goes against what the clubs trying to do.
Check out what Ronaldo wore to his contract signing at Real Madrid last time round. All players do this... so while I don't disagree with your sentiment or observation in general but all players do this.

jem

He had a few really bad games but then his injury affected him more. Rojo was average in his first season with us and has been diabolical ever since.
Rojo has had his share of knocks. I don't see anyone using that as an excuse for him (nor should they.)

sincher

I'd love to know your logic behind this. Rojo is a starter for Argentina, one of the best national sides in the world. What have those guys ever achieved? Jones isn't even good enough for the England team. And Blind didn't even qualify for the Euros. Rojo is more of a CB than Blind is.
The logic is I suspect from watching United games. As for Blind making Smalling look good, that is simply bollocks.

AkaAkuma

To give more perspective, the club flew with Aeroflot and then tweeted a thanks to them, so its kind of reasonable to assume there was a similar situation going on with Adidas. Do I care about our sponsors, not really, but I think it highlights Rojo to be somebody who doesn't follow simple concepts, who just ignores instructions.

What a load of bollocks :lol: Plenty of our players wear Nike boots and nobody complains about it. Highly doubt Adidas care about a Nike Snapback...
Bollocks? You're in a small minority who thinks Rojo is a better defender than Smalling. This was an arranged photo op for adidas. Do they care about the 'snapback'? probably a little. But I think it sends a message to the people who are staging these photo ops that Rojo (our 4th choice CB) is either thick or not much of a team player.

Check out what Ronaldo wore to his contract signing at Real Madrid last time round. All players do this... so while I don't disagree with your sentiment or observation in general but all players do this.
I know its common, but to what extent. If all players were doing it I wouldn't be highlighting Rojo - there would be pictures of Bailly, Blind, Smalling. I think in players own time they can take advantage to plug their brand. But in a situation that smacks of the club trying to do it, its probably not a smart move to upstage things, its just plain daft.

Jaybomb

If Rojo stays here and turns it around, I'll be the first one to say "I told you so" :) Always been a big fan of him. Even before he joined United. That Rabona clearance in the World Cup made me a fan for life. :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That means feck all for Utd doesn't it ? He could be the best ever Argentinian defender but if he cannot perform as well for his club, what's the point ?

fellaini's barber

Kagawa had Madwinger, LVG had @Santiago kinderbonkers, Rojo has @Jaybomb :lol:. On topic I watched Rojo lots of times for Argentina and thought he was pretty average, till he came here and I realised he was shit. Can't wait till he leaves

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Holy feckballs!

ryan_forlan

Gullible
Rojo does a few stupid things in a game, but he is talented footballer. I believe he was Vangled to a certain extent as well.
Rojo is not a starter for us, he can be a back-up for CB and LB positions. I want him to get another season here. He is Pacy and strong. That does help.
Rojo is not highly rated on the Caf, it is understandable, but I feel he can turn it around. He has the natural ability and in some games he has shown that he can have the mental capacity to perform well for 90 minutes.
Shaw Smalling Bailly Rojo Valencia Jones TFM Blind Darmian/NewRb.
This is a set of 9 defenders I will be very happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.