Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quizierda

The people overrating Smalling on here is crazy. Aside from the first few months of last season he has been very average, and unfortunately I think that's probably his ceiling. He is never going to be world class, like it or not. My opposition fan friends laugh at how much we overrate Smalling and Jones. They even say they are a weak link in our squad.
And they are damn right!

Jones and Smalling are average at best and we should try to sell them as long as someone is willing to pay us a (decent) fee. Rojo and Bailly are a good combination in my opinion and we should add 1-2 other (experienced) CBs + give Tuanzebe a few minutes to develop.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Best defender in the world? Joking but I'm happy for the lad!!

Edit: 5.9 rating is laughable. We need to sort out the rating system somehow for next season.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I continue to say that Rojo is not good enough, especially when you saw last night game between Madrid and Bayern and saw what a real defender is in Boateng, Hummels and Ramos.

Sorry but I still don't think that Rojo is good enough to make us winning trophies, to make us improve, to be our rock, our Nemanja Vidic.

I see potential in Bailly, but also a lot of mistakes, but I do see improvement.

Rojo has peaked to me and won't be better.

He has the typical Argentinian grinta, the same Heinze had, and it very important for us (something that neither Jones or Smalling have), but the issue with him is that he's not controlling anything with the ball, only throwing long balls.

He can head and always makes foul in our box during corners.

He's doing great, such as Fellaini or Young recently, but they're still not WC no?

I'd like to keep him, whether left back or third CB next year, but to me, we really need a top class defender to give us strenght and confidence behind

ti vu

If you used last night game as game to think Boateng Hummels & Ramos as standard rock solid CB then you must be joking.

Those 2 CBs of Bayern constantly lose their marks. Real Madrid created countless chance in central area, these 2 then again didn't step up enough. That's I am not discussing about the goals! If short passing well is your criteria of defending then too bad we missed out on John Stones.

Ramos fared better, but decent at best. Marcelo was Real Madrid best defenders of the night. I meant actually defending, not his contributing in attack. He made quite few saves & bail Real madrid defense out.

I continue to say that Rojo is not good enough, especially when you saw last night game between Madrid and Bayern and saw what a real defender is in Boateng, Hummels and Ramos.

Sorry but I still don't think that Rojo is good enough to make us winning trophies, to make us improve, to be our rock, our Nemanja Vidic.

I see potential in Bailly, but also a lot of mistakes, but I do see improvement.

He has the typical Argentinian grinta, the same Heinze had, and it very important for us (something that neither Jones or Smalling have), but the issue with him is that he's not controlling anything with the ball, only throwing long balls.

He's doing great, such as Fellaini or Young recently, but they're still not WC no?

I'd like to keep him, whether left back or third CB next year, but to me, we really need a top class defender to give us strenght and confidence behind
Edit: I decided to point out few minutes now as evidence:
1. Ramos caught in no man land (not close to Lewandolski or in position to block the square ball) on Thiago shot which Marcelo made a great block.
2. Benzema's header wide. Benzema was free until Alaba realized late to put some pressure
3. Carvaja's wide shot: Hummels dropped to the floor in midfield in the build up by Benzema, opened a huge gap in central of Bayern defense which Carvaja shot
4. Hummels passed into Benzema's feet in his own box. Could have deflected into his own goal in another day!
5. Ronaldo through on a counter had a shot near post (right side).
6. Carvalja free run through middle. He could have had a free shot but decided to make a wide pass in last second while Hummels & Boateng were shite themselves not knowing what to do with their mark making wide run (very similar to Marcelo assist to Ronaldo's hattrick goal)

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.

How can you say he has peaked?? There's no way on earth you can make that assessment. He may not be a 'top class' name but he has been putting in top class performances recently. Even Jose singled him out for special praise recently. As for being third choice, you must be having a laugh. If Jose has any sense, he'll continue working with Rojo who will definitely be better next season. Only pipped to player of the season by Ibra because of his goal count. City have shown that getting big name defenders and goalkeepers doesn't always work. Look how much they've spent on their backline over the last 2/3 years.

JoaquinJoaquin

You can't say Rojo will never be world class and use Sergio Ramos as the reason as to why. They have alot of similarities. Both can be rash into a tackle, And are aggressive no nonsense defenders. The only attributes Ramos has over Rojo (and I can't believe i'm typing this in 2017) is that he scores more goals and is better in the air. No reason why Rojo cannot improve in that aspect though.

Fracture90

Rojo's great season is a true win-win situation for us.

If we are to sell him, his price will skyrocket.

If we are to keep him, we're keeping a player that's proved to be a great asset in Mourinho's system.

worldinmotion66

If we are to keep him, we're keeping a player that's proved to be a great asset in Mourinho's system.
No way he'll be sold with all the deadwood we are carrying. I'd expect Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Jones and Smalling to be more likely sold ahead of Rojo (I'd be unhappy to lose Blind but he's not a Mourinho player in all honesty).

Fracture90

No way he'll be sold with all the deadwood we are carrying. I'd expect Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Jones and Smalling to be more likely sold ahead of Rojo (I'd be unhappy to lose Blind but he's not a Mourinho player in all honesty).
I'm not saying he'll be sold, but that in any case we're covered :cool:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you used last night game as game to think Boateng Hummels & Ramos as standard rock solid CB then you must be joking.

Those 2 CBs of Bayern constantly lose their marks. Real Madrid created countless chance in central area, these 2 then again didn't step up enough. That's I am not discussing about the goals! If short passing well is your criteria of defending then too bad we missed out on John Stones.

Ramos fared better, but decent at best. Marcelo was Real Madrid best defenders of the night. I meant actually defending, not his contributing in attack. He made quite few saves & bail Real madrid defense out.
They were playing against the likes of Ronaldo, Benzema, Lewandowski, Robben etc... in what was the biggest game of their seasons thus far. Let's calm down a bit here.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

He shouldn't be sold at all. Has been fantastic next to Bailly last few weeks. Has been good most of the season. Glad he looks to have cut out his 2 footers.

Fracture90

He shouldn't be sold at all. Has been fantastic next to Bailly last few weeks. Has been good most of the season. Glad he looks to have cut out his 2 footers.
Yes Ik and ofc I agree.

Just saying it's great we have options.

Fracture90

I knew what you were saying. I still think some fans don't rate him, so just offering my opinion.
Ohh coming into this season I had him as a dogshiit defender, simple as that.

I've been eating my words ever since...

Think he's earned his spot in this squad most definitely.

JJ12

Ohh coming into this season I had him as a dogshiit defender, simple as that.

I've been eating my words ever since...

Think he's earned his spot in this squad most definitely.
I think we'd all agree with that assessment at the start of the year. Always nice when a player changes fans opinion in a good light.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
We don't know what is Rojo's peak yet. Only last season many(including me) thought that he was nowhere near Man Utd's standard and right now on this season's form, he has a legitimate claim on being one of the the best CB in league.

I'd be pretty comfortable if we go with Bailly-Rojo as our main center back pairing next season.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Jose knows a good defender when he has one in the team and Rojo's definitely a good one if he's getting that many playtime without being replaced by somebody in January.

Fracture90

I think we'd all agree with that assessment at the start of the year. Always nice when a player changes fans opinion in a good light.
True. For another example take Herrera. Many used to think he's overhyped for the past 2 seasons (luckily I wasn't one of them) yet when given a proper chance he proved his worth.

Same goes with Rojo. He was dogshiit under LvG but it's fair to say he was often switching positions and not getting to settle in the position he prefers, CB. Now that he's been given a chance he took it very very well.

We don't know what is Rojo's peak yet. Only last season many(including me) thought that he was nowhere near Man Utd's standard and right now on this season's form, he has a legitimate claim on being one of the the best CB in league.

I'd be pretty comfortable if we go with Bailly-Rojo as our main center back pairing next season.
Yeah I wouldn't mind them 2 being our first choice pairing. They're both a bit cnuts, but the type of cnuts we need, great tacklers, quite fast for their size, aggressive and great at reading the game, also very good with the ball in their feet as well.

One thing I'd like them to improve in their game is their aerial presence during set pieces. We've been extended vulnerable to those this season.

Chaky_Best

How can you say he has peaked?? There's no way on earth you can make that assessment. He may not be a 'top class' name but he has been putting in top class performances recently. Even Jose singled him out for special praise recently. As for being third choice, you must be having a laugh. If Jose has any sense, he'll continue working with Rojo who will definitely be better next season. Only pipped to player of the season by Ibra because of his goal count. City have shown that getting big name defenders and goalkeepers doesn't always work. Look how much they've spent on their backline over the last 2/3 years.
I don't really understand your point. Rojo has been ok this season and has done good thing, well even great thing considering he's Rojo.

BUT Rojo can't be better than he's. My point is the same as Lingard. They are average player that can't go further and if you just look at what he's done this year, you can't say anything because he did ok, but I'm trying to see further that the last 20 games and how he can evolve in a potential title winning team.

Hope you saw how Hummels, Boateng and Ramos did yesterday because Rojo will never be one of them. I'm just saying that jackass will never be a horse.

I'm targeting the Champions League final and I'm sorry from what we have, only few players can have a potential level in our squad. We have too many squad player and there are no surprise that we'll finish once again 5th or 6th this season.

I reckon that he's doing good, but I don't think that he can be our Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam, Bruce or Pallister. We're Man United we must be demanding in terms of quality.

He's 28 and he won't learn how to pass a ball since he's only throwing balls like that. Rio was 30 when we won the CL in Moscow, to me at his age he was twice defender Rojo was

Fracture90

@Chaky_Best i think you are overestimating both Hummels.

Hummels has some inexplicable shockers in his Dortmund and early in his Bayern days. Plus he was always infamous for his lapse of concentration.

I'm not saying Rojo will become a world beater, but I genuinely believe he can get even better. He only played with Bailly for few months and look how good they understand each other?

Chaky_Best

@Chaky_Best i think you are overestimating both Hummels.

Hummels has some inexplicable shockers in his Dortmund and early in his Bayern days. Plus he was always infamous for his lapse of concentration.

I'm not saying Rojo will become a world beater, but I genuinely believe he can get even better. He only played with Bailly for few months and look how good they understand each other?
If Rojo is levelling Hummels one day, I'll be more than happy for our club.

I take example of Hummels but it can be one or the other.

I just want us to have the best player possible at United, because United must have the best.

Fracture90

If Rojo is levelling Hummels one day, I'll be more than happy for our club.

I take example of Hummels but it can be one or the other.

I just want us to have the best player possible at United, because United must have the best.
Yeah I understand, just don't think Hummels was a good comparison.

At the end, it all comes down to Mourinho and his vision.

Chaky_Best

Yeah I understand, just don't think Hummels was a good comparison.

At the end, it all comes down to Mourinho and his vision.
I remember him having only big and strong CBs like Lucho, Samuel, Materrazzi at Inter, Ramos, Pepe at Madrid, and more recently Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic at Chelsea.

Compared to them Marcos Rojo is a chicken

wythyred

Has been excellent since we started playing him centrally.

Would be interested to see what a settled pairing of him and Smalling could do if given the opportunity.

Fracture90

I remember him having only big and strong CBs like Lucho, Samuel, Materrazzi at Inter, Ramos, Pepe at Madrid, and more recently Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic at Chelsea.

He had Carvalho, Ramos and especially Cordoba... None of which is a powerhouse.

AR87

Yeah, a chicken that has overpowered and dominated the likes of Costa, Kane and Lukaku this year. I'll take that chicken every day of the week in the squad.

We also aren't going to be creating a CL winning caliber squad in one summer. We probably can improve on Rojo moving forward but sure as hell isn't the most pressing need in building the squad currently.

ti vu

They were playing against the likes of Ronaldo, Benzema, Lewandowski, Robben etc... in what was the biggest game of their seasons thus far. Let's calm down a bit here.
You didn't read the other poster's post did you? That poster was wanking over the CB performance which is for the 2 Bayern CBs were as shaky as it can get. I can say they're playing unfit too due to injury. But the point is if this is a good performance to say that high level CB display then it's a bad joke.

3KDré

He could be our first ever successful Argentine that stayed for years and everyone liked.

3KDré

Hope you saw how Hummels, Boateng and Ramos did yesterday because Rojo will never be one of them. I'm just saying that jackass will never be a horse.
Hummels and Boateng, the people part of the defence that conceded 4 goals last night?

Obviously they're better than Rojo, but you never know how a player can perform in the CL until they've played in it (for us). If we are patient with Rojo I see us reaping the rewards.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hummels and Boateng, the people part of the defence that conceded 4 goals last night?

Obviously they're better than Rojo, but you never know how a player can perform in the CL until they've played in it (for us). If we are patient with Rojo I see us reaping the rewards.
1 in 90 mins, and the rest in extra time down to 10 men chasing in a knock out game.

DocRockter

This guy has played solid games with Jones and Bailly, that has to be counted. Still a way to go for him to become a true force in England but during this season he's made a good case for himself.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don't really understand your point. Rojo has been ok this season and has done good thing, well even great thing considering he's Rojo.

BUT Rojo can't be better than he's. My point is the same as Lingard. They are average player that can't go further and if you just look at what he's done this year, you can't say anything because he did ok, but I'm trying to see further that the last 20 games and how he can evolve in a potential title winning team.

I'm targeting the Champions League final and I'm sorry from what we have, only few players can have a potential level in our squad. We have too many squad player and there are no surprise that we'll finish once again 5th or 6th this season.

I reckon that he's doing good, but I don't think that he can be our Vidic, Ferdinand, Stam, Bruce or Pallister. We're Man United we must be demanding in terms of quality.

He's 28 and he won't learn how to pass a ball since he's only throwing balls like that. Rio was 30 when we won the CL in Moscow, to me at his age he was twice defender Rojo was
First highlighted point - My point is unless you have some extra-sensory perception, you just cannot make a claim like that. Yes you might not think he's any good but to say he can't get any better is a bit absurd. Look how fans were slating him last season. Guess what?? He stepped up and has got better! Now a lot of fans are having to eat their words. Personally I believe he'll improve yet further next season, if he gets the starting run of games that he deserves.

Second highlighted point - A lot fans are clamouring for Smalling to walk straight back in when he's fit and are happy with Carrick staying for another year...and you're talking about Rojo's quality?? I would argue that he's the least of our worries at the moment. Like I said he may not be a big name but he's done an excellent job this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We should be keeping him and Bailly. One of Smalling/Jones or both should be out for a new CB and Tuanzebe/Fosu Mensah should get more minutes.

JJ12

I'm now convinced you havebt seen Rojo play.

A chicken :lol:

Lj82

I'm now convinced you havebt seen Rojo play.

A chicken :lol:
Yeah it really sounds strange.
Rojo lacks a bit of height when compared to other centrebacks but he has a good leap and seldom loses out on headers.
He also don't get muscled out easily. To criticize his physical attributes among other things is just strange.

Nickosaur

Rojo is a 'chicken' now?

Your argument is chaky at best

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He's turned from someone I wanted us to sell into one of my favorite players in the space of a year. Really stepped up this season and has become the leader of that defense.

Yeah it really sounds strange.
Rojo lacks a bit of height when compared to other centrebacks but he has a good leap and seldom loses out on headers.
He also don't get muscled out easily. To criticize his physical attributes among other things is just strange.
He's 1.87 mate. That's as tall as Terry and Pepe; taller than Ramos.

Agree about the rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.