Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

If he stays fit I can see us gaining a lot of ground on city. Maybe if he’s fit for the start of next season he can be the bedrock of a title winning defense. I think he’s that good, honestly
Rojo?

What are you playing at? As soon as we get a new manager these players are going to be coached out of this world. Trust me, a back 4 of valencia, smalling, Jones and young is going to be impregnable we just need the right manager and coaching tactics
:lol:

Do you know what impregnable means?

stevoc

I'm guessing he thinks it means someone who is perpetually pregnant
Personally i would describe any defence with Valencia, Jones and Young as pregnable, very pregnable.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I keep reading/seeing people say he should have been sent off.

Are people actually mental? In no way shape or form was that tackle worthy of a red card.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Are people actually mental? In no way shape or form was that tackle worthy of a red card.
I saw that as well, it wasn't just a few people here and there but absolutely loads of them, r/soccer were convinced he should've been off. They're talking out their arse.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

His reaction after he ran back into position tells me he thought he was going to be sent off. He did that "phew" expression and laughed to someone.

He was out of control and very, very late. It was dangerous play imo. He'a a rash boy is Rojo but he's also got undeniable talent and provided us with some attacking threat yesterday. Played well on the whole despite his shocking error.

Sylar

Hes a nutter. But hes the only one comfy for the LCB spot.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Rojo's lunge looked a red in real time, but I think it looks less bad on replay. I still wouldn't have been too surprised if it was given as a red, as it was late, out of control and a bit excessive. In real time it looked like a nailed on two footer, but from the replay I don't think it was quite that bad. His trailing leg does come around as contact is made, but he doesn't lunge with both feet from the off. It was rather reckless and he has previous for daft challenges which he seems to keep getting away with. He needs to cut it out or it will be costly eventually.

I thought he was unlucky for the own goal. A good attempt to win the ball that just got poked a few inches in the wrong direction. Pisspoor defending all round from everyone to even let them find that sort of space.

Ekeke

Rojo's lunge looked a red in real time, but I think it looks less bad on replay. I still wouldn't have been too surprised if it was given as a red, as it was late, out of control and a bit excessive. In real time it looked like a nailed on two footer, but from the replay I don't think it was quite that bad. His trailing leg does come around as contact is made, but he doesn't lunge with both feet from the off. It was rather reckless and he has previous for daft challenges which he seems to keep getting away with. He needs to cut it out or it will be costly eventually.

I thought he was unlucky for the own goal. A good attempt to win the ball that just got poked a few inches in the wrong direction. Pisspoor defending all round from everyone to even let them find that sort of space.
And even worse from him passing the ball straight to an attacker.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If we played with some attacking intent, I'd love to see him and Bailly at the heart of our defence.

Would be made up to see a run of games with:
De Gea, Dalot, Bailly, Rojo, Shaw, Fred, Herrera, Pogba, Lingard, Rashford, Martial.

But that team will concede goals you say...we might as well carry on, and throw in some nutcases to take some risks going forward.

Back to Rojo, happy with last night bar the mistake. He added a dimension you just don't get from Smalling or Lindelof. Some of his passing put Arsenal on the back foot within seconds.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
His reaction after he ran back into position tells me he thought he was going to be sent off. He did that "phew" expression and laughed to someone.

He was out of control and very, very late. It was dangerous play imo. He'a a rash boy is Rojo but he's also got undeniable talent and provided us with some attacking threat yesterday. Played well on the whole despite his shocking error.
Its not out of control though, he has a foot on the ground at all times.... it's an attempt to block the ball that is just super late - like a lot of tackles.

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/ryrwae

He doesn't catch him with his studs - nor does he come close too, so it's not dangerous at all.

Phil Dowd also said it was a clear yellow so yeah, this talk of a red is just baffling

red4ever 79

Has a good attitude that you would want from your players. Gives his all and some more, shows more passion than the other CB's put together. However Rojo does have one major weakness which is his brain. Too rash, jumps into tackles recklessly, makes mistakes and gives away goals. It's a shame we cant morph attributes from our CB's and make one decent one.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Its not out of control though, he has a foot on the ground at all times.... it's an attempt to block the ball that is just super late - like a lot of tackles.

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/ryrwae

He doesn't catch him with his studs - nor does he come close too, so it's not dangerous at all.

Phil Dowd also said it was a clear yellow so yeah, this talk of a red is just baffling
The ball is well gone by the time he makes impact on the player and if you watch the replay you'd also see that his left leg wraps round. It's a dirty tackle.

Not sure why bringing Phil Dowd into this helps your case. He was an abysmal referee. I actually just checked the Caf history and noticed you defended Dowd in the "Is Phil Dowd the worst referee in the league?" thread from 4 years ago. :lol:

Anyway, I couldn't care less. We can agree to disagree on it. Fact was he didnt get sent off so no harm done.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It drives me mad, he's good on the ball compared to out other options yet has the composure of a hamster on cocaine. Wish we'd kept Blind to play that LCB role.

AltiUn

He's a bit of a lunatic, there's just something so enjoyable when he and Bailly play together. They don't half have some shaky moments, you're bound to concede a howler every now and then but we've been doing that anyway. I think Rojo undeniably has some talent, he a snide streak only he and Herrera have, in fact they both actually strike me as Mourinho players and I'm surprised he didn't utilise them more in his time here when he got the chance.

AltiUn

Very likeable guy, but he is a nutter though...

I'd be terrified playing against him as a forward - which I guess is a good thing (for Utd).
He managed to out-do Diego Costa when we played against Chelsea, that's a real testament to his lunacy.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He's a bit of a lunatic, there's just something so enjoyable when he and Bailly play together. They don't half have some shaky moments, you're bound to concede a howler every now and then but we've been doing that anyway. I think Rojo undeniably has some talent, he a snide streak only he and Herrera have, in fact they both actually strike me as Mourinho players and I'm surprised he didn't utilise them more in his time here when he got the chance.
Completely, totally agree. It's odd really.

Referees take into account the conditions, it was wet and slippy and that contributed to the severity of the impact. It wasn't a red but no doubt some referees would mistakenly have given it on first look.

stevoc

Hes a nutter. But hes the only one comfy for the LCB spot.
You are probably right he's the most suitable that we have, but he's not great either he cost the goal from a bit of poor play on the ball.

Sylar

You are probably right he's the most suitable that we have, but he's not great either he cost the goal from a bit of poor play on the ball.
I reckon thats cos of tiredness and i had a feeling it would happen (didnt expect the full 90 from him). Just a shame it happened when it did.

Im trying to remember most of his mistakes hes had with us and the only things I can seem to remember are two footed ones that he somehow escaped. I cant remember a fudge up like yesterday (which he then tryed to redeem and ended up making worse). but then redeemed himself with a hoof assist...

Ekeke

I didnt think it was a red either, but I do think it could have contributed to a 2nd yellow. That tackle and then he makes another one which could be booked for, he's off.

Jeffthered

I have not read the whole thread, but I would like to see him play. I like his attitude, and the fact that he has a little bit about him. We need that, he doesn't play like a little child, who require guidance, unlike some of our other players.

He also brings technical quality to the team... he can use the ball v well, packs a shot, and is a ball player. So what if he gets the odd-red? Hasn't been such an issue with Ramos has it?

Pick him, and back him. Same with Bailly. Pick these players and actually back and support them, and we just may, may be surprised as to what we see.

Ekeke

I have not read the whole thread, but I would like to see him play. I like his attitude, and the fact that he has a little bit about him. We need that, he doesn't play like a little child, who require guidance, unlike some of our other players.

He also brings technical quality to the team... he can use the ball v well, packs a shot, and is a ball player. So what if he gets the odd-red? Hasn't been such an issue with Ramos has it?

Pick him, and back him. Same with Bailly. Pick these players and actually back and support them, and we just may, may be surprised as to what we see.
I wasnt surprised with seeing him pass the ball to the opposition in front of our goal.

He needs his brain rewired so that he's only willing to take chances in the opposition's half where it doesnt matter too much if things break down. He's far too casual with the ball in his own half

Brophs

The One and Only
The Rojo boom bust cycle is genuinely fascinating, albeit one game seems a bit reactionary, even for the internet. He's a high intensity player that, for better or worse, gets himself involved in talking points in the game. He's also wildly unpredictable and, arguably, almost beyond capable of being trusted over a long period, which is why Mourinho has gone hot and cold on him over the few years. People liking him is no more complicated than them thinking "Yeah, but at least he does something". In terms of defending, he's an accident waiting to happen.

3KDré

I think he's a good player that would need a calmer head next to him. Unfortunately so does Bailly, probably Smalling and Jones too.

Mickson

"mental" first of all, he could've been sent off for his very late and dangerous tackle. Nowhere near the ball. But he definitely should've been gone when Arsenal scored. From behind, took the player. Stonewall yellow. The funny thing with Rojo os that he should be off almost every game he plays but somehow manages to stay on the pitch.

AltiUn

I think he's a good player that would need a calmer head next to him. Unfortunately so does Bailly, probably Smalling and Jones too.
Been our problem for ages really. Jones and Smalling always did fine when paired next to Rio or Vidic, problem now is that we don't have anyone like that.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
"mental" first of all, he could've been sent off for his very late and dangerous tackle. Nowhere near the ball. But he definitely should've been gone when Arsenal scored. From behind, took the player. Stonewall yellow. The funny thing with Rojo os that he should be off almost every game he plays but somehow manages to stay on the pitch.
Dangerous? He literally is attempting to block the ball, doesn't get there in time and takes him out with his trailing leg... not his studs, not his foot... his leg.

If that's dangerous then every slide tackle that impacts after the ball is played should be a red... in which case there should have been about 4 red cards yesterday.

As for the other one, Rojo actually wins the ball and kicks it onto Lacazette... who - if you watch it again - he makes very little contact with. The only reason Lacazette got hurt is because Baily smashed into him.

I guess you could have booked him but it would have been harsh, especially considering how many tackles Torreira was getting away with - it was a decision consistent with the rest of the game

Ekeke

He had our lowest % of pass completion last night with 69.1%. I think at times his confidence to play hopeful passes quickly down the left helped in attack. So playing in a back 3 suits him. But it obviously cost us when he tried to do too much at the back and gave the ball to Arsenal in a goalscoring chance. If he doesn't get it by now that you can't mess about 30 yards from your own goal I just don't think it'll ever click for him.

The nicest thing I can say is that he helped both teams offensively last night.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He had our lowest % of pass completion last night with 69.1%. I think at times his confidence to play hopeful passes quickly down the left helped in attack. So playing in a back 3 suits him. But it obviously cost us when he tried to do too much at the back and gave the ball to Arsenal in a goalscoring chance. If he doesn't get it by now that you can't mess about 30 yards from your own goal I just don't think it'll ever click for him.

The nicest thing I can say is that he helped both teams offensively last night.
About 80% of his incomplete passes were long balls. It is hard to get a high % completion when you're sending 20 long balls a game. Its ridiculous no one has sat him down yet and told him to cut it out. His biggest problems on the ball always stem from him attempting shit as if he is one of the best midfielders to ever play the game.

Ekeke

About 80% of his incomplete passes were long balls. It is hard to get a high % completion when you're sending 20 long balls a game. Its ridiculous no one has sat him down yet and told him to cut it out. His biggest problems on the ball always stem from him attempting shit as if he is one of the best midfielders to ever play the game.
I dont have too much of a problem with him trying long balls. Or first time passes in the oppositions half which accelerated our attacks.

I do have a problem when he tries that stuff and risks losing the ball in his own half. Thats the part I just cant see him getting at this point.

He played 17 long passes, 4 reaching their target.

He played 55 passes total though so no, most of his incomplete passes were short ones.

Sauldogba

For some reason i like him.
Maybe its because hes positive and likes to pass the ball forward

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
In these current miserablist times, a bit of personality goes a long way. That's why so many of us enjoy him despite the obvious constant danger of calamity.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Is it more important than points?
The world is upside down, Ekeke. We can't play football anymore. Our support is split into warring factions, spitting bile at each other, hailing either the grizzled, bitter, paranoid erstwhile Special One or the preening, pouting dropper of cryptic half-quotes in the mixed zone. I'm just saying in these dire times it is bracing to see a guy with the shit or bust attitude that Rojo has on the field. Points mean less than they used to. I'm just looking for something to stir my blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.