Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

He's had the "red card waiting to happen" tag ever since that 1 week period 3 years ago where he dished out two 2 footed challenges in 2 games. To be fair I have no idea how he didn't get off for this challenge on Idrissa Gueye:

Ever since then even normal challenges he makes are exaggerated to be red card worthy when they are no way near.
Yeah, and I think there was another challenge like that at the end of last season where your heart skips a beat when the ref blows the whistle. He's actually been quite lucky to avoid red cards on a few occasions.

He was decent tonight I will give him credit. The plus points for him as a defender are that he's quick, strong and is reasonably good on the ball (despite an annoying habit of hoofing it upfield sometimes). Bad points are that he's rash, switches off at times, injury prone and has moments of absolute insanity.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
If he'd not been a LvG signing he'd be a cult hero by now, and rightly so, if fit i'd have him in the starting XI everyday single day of the week.
Well, LvG did prefer him and Blind as their CB pairing and i seem to recall they did fairly well. In any case, Rojo has two main problems, him losing his head and his injury record. When he has stayed injury free and gotten some games and confidence, he is much more calm and composed, where as when he has been out for a while he seems way to eager to impress and he tries something stupid

LoneStar

He complements Maguire better than Lindelöf I feel. Should be given a run of games to see if he can consistently do it.

I agree that we should sell Jones and keep Smalling, with Lindelöf and Rojo as backups.

AkaAkuma

I think he is/will mature later in his career compared to most. He's approaching 30, but has very little mileage on the clock, he could feesibly play on to a high level until his mid 30s.

Also, I think its clear to see that he is a positive character in the dressing room.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yearly 'I believe in Rojo' time. Tbh he looked better than Lindelof and won't mind him getting run of games with Maguire.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Another solid performance from my guy. He needs a run of games. Would love to see how he pairs up with Tuanzebe.

Grande

He complements Maguire better than Lindelöf I feel. Should be given a run of games to see if he can consistently do it.

I agree that we should sell Jones and keep Smalling, with Lindelöf and Rojo as backups.
Given how unusually bad Maguire played yesterday in a pairing with him, I wonder what you base that on.

I love Marcos Rojo as a character, though did hope he was leaving before this season, simply because we have too many CB’s and I want Tuanzebe to get chances. Rojo has never had a prolonged spell of good and consistent play for us, and it’s not just due to injuries. He’s always had periods of being rash, making mistakes, and being unpredictable to his companions in defence. Lindelöf and Maguire have on the whole atarted well, with occasional glitches. Inserting Rojo to abort glitches is like taking amphetamine to keep the calm. It only works if you’re already hyperactive, even then it’ll mostly make things even worse in the long run.

I’ll be very happy if Rojo grows into a more mature version of himself, though. He’s handled the back up CB role much better than Jones this season anyway.

EdinburghDevil

Rojo had a really solid game last night I thought. With the full backs pushing high last night, both Rojo and Maguire were usually well positioned and calm and composed in position.

Khalifa711

Love his passion for the game. I would like to see him with Lindelof.

GledTheRed

Been very good lately, got a nice snap in his passes and bullies his opposition unlike Lindelof who does the opposite.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
After this slight upsurge of praise I'm now expecting Rojo,in typical Rojo manner, to do something absolutely unforgivable in his next appearance.
Like, a two footed tackle that breaks five legs while blasting the ball at a unsuspecting handicapped person in the crowd and sending that person into a coma.

JoaquinJoaquin

He has never been a bad player, just had issues with injury and temperament. Loved watching his passion last night, and it is something we need in the team. Lindelof can be far too timid at times, even if he probably is the better player.

Start him Sunday.

Pass and Move

I actually like this guy, like a Ramos-lite. Passion, and is willing to use the ball quickly and ping passes into the feet of our players. Many of our players not only take too long to pass the ball, but they kick it too softly too.

izec

Him or Tuanzebe to partner Maguire without s doubt. Lindelöf is soft and makes as many mistakes as Rojo, while Jones is not reliable in any way. I feel like Lindelöf and Jones got plenty of games and time over the years to cement a spot, but have failed. Bailly is the new Jones.

Axel is the new guy who deserves time and it would be nice to see what Rojo can do with more consecutive games as a starter. He brings something different to the table, he just needs to keep injury free and reduce the madness, without losing the agression

settembrini

I think he's always been a decent CB. His biggest problems at United have been a poor fitness record and all those games he has been asked to play left back, where he sucks.

Raw

He'd been doing pretty good this season in all fairness. I'd rather keep him over Jones and Bailly at this point in time.

I'm still proper nervous that he's going to do something real stupid and get a red card though!

arthurka

Always one action away from disaster. But he is not boring that's for sure.

Alabaster Codify7

Say what you want, he's contributing to the cause WAY more than Lingard is at present. And has been the case for 12months.

Alfie092

I think he is/will mature later in his career compared to most. He's approaching 30, but has very little mileage on the clock, he could feesibly play on to a high level until his mid 30s.

Also, I think its clear to see that he is a positive character in the dressing room.
This. I was looking it up and in the past 3 seasons (including this season) he has only played a total of 26 games :annoyed: he can definitely play for us for another 4 years and instead of declining, we may see him improve due to the little mileage as mentioned but that is heavily dependent on him staying fit.

At this moment in time I would definitely prefer the Rojo - Maguire partnership over Maguire - Lindelof. Lindelof to me hasn't really kicked on from last season and is just a more basic version of Maguire without the aerial ability and physicality, which is very important in the PL, this is something Rojo gives you over Lindelof. Rojo also has more pace about him than Victor and with him being left-footed, it may provide a better balance. Oh and is more entertaining to watch and I guess us United fans could do with some entertainment during games a lot of the time :D

He will still most likely get an injury or rule himself out of contention for a few games :lol:

ash_86

His distribution is really good and has a rocket for a left foot. Complements Maguire

Foxbatt

He is not afraid of the ball or the opposing player. I have never seen him pull out of a tackle or refuse to put his head in where it may get hurt. He has decent pace too and cannot be physically bullied like Lindelof gets. He also likes to join the attack and has a mean left too and is a good header of the ball, especially at corners. Yes he is a mad man but he is our mad man.

A-man

Has been good so far this season, even though he mostly played against a little weaker teams. Could be good for rotation as starter in the PL. Will be interesting to see who Ole rank highest: Rojo or Tuanzebe.

But maybe unlikely that both of them will be fit at the same time.

reddevil80

I've always wanted Rojo to get more game time and now it looks like he might just get it. He has had injuries in the past which have curtailed his progress and it has been his "achilles" if you like. I think his injuries have come from trying too hard on the training ground to make his way into the squad. I just hope Ole sticks with him for at least a few more games, as he and Maguire actually look an impressive centre back duo, and shows him the patience that we are showing Ole. I think Shaw on his left, or Williams even, would give him a better option to attack.

Foxbatt

I think he needs to calm down and not try to do things too hard. This is where he goes in rashly. If he gets a run of games and he knows the manager has faith in him then he will settle down and play. When he was paired with Bailly initially they formed a very good partnership till either Rojo or Bailly got injured. He joins the attack and if I think it was Mata who should have passed the ball to him, he would have put in a good cross as he was alone.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The biggest complement I can give him is that he's better than Phil Jones.

Danillaco

Well, LvG did prefer him and Blind as their CB pairing and i seem to recall they did fairly well. In any case, Rojo has two main problems, him losing his head and his injury record. When he has stayed injury free and gotten some games and confidence, he is much more calm and composed, where as when he has been out for a while he seems way to eager to impress and he tries something stupid
He was way better as a CB, had some very good games. Put then would be injured or played at LB and be disastrous

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
After this slight upsurge of praise I'm now expecting Rojo,in typical Rojo manner, to do something absolutely unforgivable in his next appearance.
Like, a two footed tackle that breaks five legs while blasting the ball at a unsuspecting handicapped person in the crowd and sending that person into a coma.
And somehow he still doesn't get a red card.

Devil may care

He's been playing reasonably well and was solid on Thursday, I'd keep him in the team tomorrow.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Rojo is a good central defender and reliable back up plan, but he can often find himself in poor positions (see Liverpool's equalizing goal). But when he keeps his head on he is quite capable. At LB, he is good against poor teams when he is able to attack a lot, but he stuggles against quick wingers who dribble at him 1 v 1. Much better in the middle. For me, it's a toss up between him and Lindeloff on who should partner Maguire because they are both decent players but also prone to mistakes. Perhaps when Tuanzebe gets back to health that problem will be resolved...

buckooo1978

he's been really composed lately

Looks ahead of Bailly and Jones in terms of reliability

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Well, LvG did prefer him and Blind as their CB pairing and i seem to recall they did fairly well.
What matches are you recalling because according to transfermarkt I can't see it happening a single time. There was at no point ever that Blind and Rojo were van Gaal's preferred CB pairing. In fact, it goes against everything van Gaal believed in with having a left and right footer.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
What matches are you recalling because according to transfermarkt I can't see it happening a single time. There was at no point ever that Blind and Rojo were van Gaal's preferred CB pairing. In fact, it goes against everything van Gaal believed in with having a left and right footer.
Strange, both played CB under him though, maybe Rojo at CB and Blind at LB?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Rojo played CB when he was first bought while Blind was playing CDM. In LvG's second season, he played left back while Blind played CB next to Smalling.

Decomposing In Paris

I love Rojo's character... Lindelof always strikes me as a pretty nice guy who wants to win, but wouldn't begrudge the opposition a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.