Marcos Rojo extends contract to 2021

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

Manchester United is delighted to announce that Marcos Rojo has signed a new contract which will keep him at the club until June 2021, with the option to extend for a further year.

Rojo, 27, signed for United on 20 August 2014. During his time at the club, he has won an FA Cup, a League Cup, the UEFA Europa League and a Community Shield.

Marcos Rojo said: "Since I joined Manchester United, it has been everything I thought it would be and more. I am extremely happy to extend my stay at this great club. When I joined, my aim was to help the team win trophies and we have done that over the past couple of seasons. I am working hard to get back on the pitch. I would like to thank the fans for their support and the manager for the confidence and help he has given me both on and off the pitch."

Jose Mourinho added: "Marcos has gone from strength to strength over the past couple of seasons, and has always shown great professionalism. Although his injury has kept him sidelined over these past few weeks, Marcos is working hard to return to full fitness. He is always ready to put his body on the line for this club and I am delighted he has signed a new contract."

Silas

Happy with this. Looks like at least one of Jones and Smalling will be out the door this summer then.

SirAF

Ageist
He's a good defender - quite happy to have him in the squad.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Happy with this. Looks like at least one of Jones and Smalling will be out the door this summer then.
Certainly hard to see how we can accommodate another CB without selling one, Smalling appears to be a favourite of Jose's however with persistent Arsenal interest he might be the most valuable of those on the chopping block

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Of all the players in need of contract extensions I didn’t expect Rojo to be first.

Kostov

Great, award a longterm contract to a player who can't string a season without injuries. Personally I'd have shipped him off together with Jones.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
He had a great season last year, but before that he had been pretty poor. He has also been out injured for most of the last year.

So I would of liked to see him come back and show the injury hasn’t affected him long term and that last seasons form was what he will be producing going forward, before been given a new contract.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Good Hopefully he starts playing now. We need him to gain full match fitness.

Ole90+3

As long as this doesn't mean Smalling will be off, I'm content with the decision.

Good defender but panics too much on the ball. Loves a good hoof into row Z.

Bobski

One of my fav among the current players :drool: he's still our best CB imo.

Injuries are so annoying though, hope he'll be more injury free next season, team needs him.
He has been in contention for that title for about 3 months of his 4 years at Utd.

He's banned but a fan then I take it.
The next best thing to Sergio Ramos according to Jay. Say no more, not fair when he is banned.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Great, award a longterm contract to a player who can't string a season without injuries. Personally I'd have shipped him off together with Jones.
Indeed, had enough of our CBs breaking down with injuries constantly. Rojo, Jones and Bailly have missed a staggering amount of games in the past two seasons due to injuries.

C3Pique

Why are we extending a guy who can't string 5 games together? One good game out of 10 interspersed with injury and or suspension does not a good squad place make.

Would rather ship out Rojo and Smalling in return for one top-class defender who can actually play more than once a month. Would get rid of Jones as well if he didn't count as home grown.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's banned but a fan then I take it.
Again? :lol:

Good news if he can return to pre-injury form. He seemed to return awfully quickly, but he looked half the player in the few performances he made since then, with a few decent moments. A solid CB on his day, when he's not two-footing anything with a pulse.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It would have been nice to have seen him come back strongly after his injury before giving him a new deal. Then again this is the situation as we find it and it's probably preferable to sign him up now and hope he returns firing for us than see him leave on the cheap this summer.

yamo123x

Never rated him other than a few good performances alongside Bailly middle of last season. Was dire before this in particular when at left back.
Injury prone too.

fellaini's barber

Always felt he was average. Next season. We'll be talking about him as 'deadwood' as early as next season and he'll probably spend most of this time on the bench on ridiculous wages and unable to be shifted

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We have 1 decent CB and he's not Rojo.

Morpheus 7

I'd keep him under Jose, he's been good for him. Makes sense, more concerned about Martial and De Gea, they are the priorities.

Kapardin

Hmm, not sure what to make of this. In fact, all our CBs are solid on some days and ridiculously inconsistent on others.

Fine, if we feel there are other priority positions to fill.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Barely pulled me away from my weetabix.
I like Rojo but if we're going to keep going with Cb's who are constantly injured then we'll win nothing.

Jngun

I think jose clearly rate him above smalling , jones , blind and probably lindelof. He gave him 3 years extension despite being injured and he is possibly won't be hard to deal with.
He will be the longest serving Argentinian in our club

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's probably missed more games than he's played here but left footed center backs are rare to find. Hopefully he doesn't take playing time from the likes of Tuanzebe next season.

Ace

Rojo, to me, is a solid backup CB/LB option— he has good qualities about him but I don’t think he’s a top defender. Sometimes when he gets isolated in the box, I’m almost waiting for a him to go into a rash challenge, either winning the ball in a great sliding tackle, or completely wiping out the attacker and conceding a penalty.

RedDevil@84

Good news. Given how our defenders get injured so often, we would need all we could get