Marcos Rojo has joined Boca Juniors

Tiber

And here he is ready to launch a fire extinguisher.

Let’s never forget that he was never sent off for United.
Hard to get sent off when you never play

Red00012

It amazes me how people hate former players when they leave . He never played enough to be hated

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It amazes me how people hate former players when they leave . He never played enough to be hated
He was an important player in our EL run in Mourinho's first season. Think he got injured in the semis and didn't play the final though so it's forgotten.

stevoc

nah,

he wasnt good enough, determination was always there
On the pitch maybe, barely on the pitch though.

And let's not do the whole he was injured, not his fault he wasn't picked, cry me a river bullshit.

Whatever the reason he wasn't on the pitch, he only made about 10-15 starts in has last 4 years at United. So he's fair game for jokes about lack of effort. feck sake lighten up.

dronesoul

It amazes me even more how much our “supporters” hate on players when they are still in the club. It’s insane.

I might prefer one player over another on the pitch, but I don’t make it my agenda every day to ridicule, badmouth and otherwise try my utmost to force a player out of the club.

But so many really do. Our players get much, much, much more hate from United “supporters” than say City supporters. It’s just nuts.

I think some ought to read up on what the word “support” means.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
And here he is ready to launch a fire extinguisher.

Let’s never forget that he was never sent off for United.

Does anoyne know what led up to this? I havent looked up any articles on the leadup to this incident.

Generally I can get pretty hyped for some on-pitch passion now and then, but this seems taking it a bit fair, a weapon to the head can have very serious, permanent consequences

Edit: Found an article posted 5 minutes ago: https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/sjo...-pepperspray-mot-spillerne/s/12-95-3424158209 - Its in Norwegian but translates to English well.

The match went to a penalty shootout, where the home team from Brazil emerged victorious and could celebrate advancement.

That was when it all broke out in a big fight. Videos from the corridors of the teams' locker rooms showed what eventually turned out to be a major scandal. The Boca Juniors players wanted to enter the locker room of Atletico Mineiro, but were stopped by Brazilian police. The clashes came to a point where the police saw themselves having to use tear gas against the away team's players and support apparatus.

Another video shows former Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo, who at one point picks up a fire extinguisher and is apparently using it as a weapon. However, he is stopped by both teammates and what appears to be the support apparatus for his current club, Boca.

As previously mentioned, the Brazilian police force used tear gas to calm the mood, and now one of the officers on the spot confirms that some players have been arrested.

So the Boca players allegendly tried to enter the opposition teams locker room and do what exactly, attack them all? Beyond well deserved they've been arrested.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

So the Boca players allegendly tried to enter the opposition teams locker room and do what exactly, attack them all? Beyond well deserved they've been arrested.
They were trying to have a reasonable discussion with the officials, who had taken refuge in the brazilian teams locker room.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It still amazes you?!

Former, current, the entire club. It’s just the way it seems to be.

OverratedOpinion

I actually really liked the way he played when he had his good games, obviously never came often enough but he had a real string of good performances for about half a season where he looked great for me. Absolute lunatic mind, I think even when he first signed he had work permit issues because he had attacked his next door neighbour.

dalriada

Never worked out, especially with his injuries, but by all accounts the other players wanted him to stay and I couldn't help liking him for his scary defending. Has a good shot as well.

devips

It amazes me even more how much our “supporters” hate on players when they are still in the club. It’s insane.

I might prefer one player over another on the pitch, but I don’t make it my agenda every day to ridicule, badmouth and otherwise try my utmost to force a player out of the club.

But so many really do. Our players get much, much, much more hate from United “supporters” than say City supporters. It’s just nuts.

I think some ought to read up on what the word “support” means.
Absolutely true. It amazes me too.

Based Adnan

Will never forget this tackle:

Didn't even get a yellow. Then literally the next game he does:

Got a yellow for that. Mad bastard.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
When I saw this thread again I was worried that he was still somehow with the club.... just knowing he's gone for sure is perfectly fine

Judas

Open to offers
I was having a nice time forgetting this useless cnut played for us until now.
This sort of animosity and aggression towards bloody Rojo :lol: :houllier: so weird.

Funny lad, was barely around but I at least found him entertaining to watch and got stuck in positively when he did play, nothing against him personally.

King Eric 7

He was just taking the fire extinguisher home because he likes his food burnt to a crisp and this risks a kitchen fire.

Uniquim

Does anoyne know what led up to this? I havent looked up any articles on the leadup to this incident.

Generally I can get pretty hyped for some on-pitch passion now and then, but this seems taking it a bit fair, a weapon to the head can have very serious, permanent consequences

Edit: Found an article posted 5 minutes ago: https://www.nettavisen.no/sport/sjo...-pepperspray-mot-spillerne/s/12-95-3424158209 - Its in Norwegian but translates to English well.

The match went to a penalty shootout, where the home team from Brazil emerged victorious and could celebrate advancement.

That was when it all broke out in a big fight. Videos from the corridors of the teams' locker rooms showed what eventually turned out to be a major scandal. The Boca Juniors players wanted to enter the locker room of Atletico Mineiro, but were stopped by Brazilian police. The clashes came to a point where the police saw themselves having to use tear gas against the away team's players and support apparatus.

Another video shows former Manchester United defender Marcos Rojo, who at one point picks up a fire extinguisher and is apparently using it as a weapon. However, he is stopped by both teammates and what appears to be the support apparatus for his current club, Boca.

As previously mentioned, the Brazilian police force used tear gas to calm the mood, and now one of the officers on the spot confirms that some players have been arrested.

The frustration stems from Boca having one goal annulled in both games (correctly). Since the first game, parts of Argentinian media have just fired up under that frustration by claiming Brazilian clubs control Conmebol (South American UEFA) and that refs were being unfairly strict on Boca. Add to that, losing on penalties (where Rojo was the only Boca players to score), I think it just ended up boiling over. Boca were among the strongest teams in the Libertadores last year, so I'm sure they had hopes of getting to the final. They would also be meeting River Plate (assuming they beat Argentinos Juniors) in the next round.

I'm not a 100% sure on chronological order after the game but it seems like it started by a security guard insulting Boca staff, and then one of them threw a punch. Boca players going to Mineiro's locker room may have been after that. Some reports said the players went there to fight them, other reports say they went there to confront them.

Staff and sports directors are seen in some clips, and the Mineiro president was seen throwing a bottle at the Boca players.
Mineiro also reported damage to their property/venue.

The whole team was held for questioning by the police before being released today to travel back. Two got a $575 fine for damages, and four were charged bodily injury and contempt, and will be called to appear in court at a later date.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Thank god we got rid. Just a shame it was 4 or 5 years too late... And that we sent Nani away as part of his signing

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Thank god we got rid. Just a shame it was 4 or 5 years too late... And that we sent Nani away as part of his signing
Its funny that this thread got 'bumped' and there is a lot of humour flying about - but to be serious: I think when the history of the post-Fergy years are written, he should get a chapter all of his own. Not because of what he did on the pitch, but his signing, the immediate aftermath of his signing and his eventual departure encapsulate the void left by SAF leaving and the problems that the club has had to face, in the intervening years.

Let me explain: I can't recall the exact details, but I think Rojo was signed under a bit of a cloud due to a dispute with a neighbour back home. Wasn't compensation paid by him, to smooth through the move to Utd? That all seemed a bit 'odd'.

Then he missed an important European match just after joining Utd. because his passport or visa or some such document wasn't 'correct' (possibly to do with the legal matter I just mentioned a moment ago). But it struck me at the time that this was again 'odd'. Surely Manchester Utd. one of the biggest, if not the biggest clubs in the world has a team of people to deal with all that sort of admin stuff, leaving it to the player themself would be risking a hitch and there was a hitch. I began then to realise that when Sir Alex left it exposed not just weaknesses on the pitch, but structurally, throughout the whole organisation.

Then of course he stayed to long and was sold poorly, but there is a whole other thread covering that topic, so I won't recap all of that again.

Rojo was a pretty insignificant player for Man Utd. but in retrospect his was a name that will be remembered for along time and not in a good way.

As for the man himself, well some guys have all the luck I say, I mean what was his bank account like after he left? What was his earnings like per minutes on the pitch? Football has got itself in a stupid place with the money these days and it saddens me. There was a lot of news recently, negative news about England players after the penalty shoot-out and indeed Man Utd. players after their penalty shoot-out too in the Europa Final. Some people say its this, some say its that and it gets discussed to death, but I rarely hear people mention this word: jealousy. Because I admit it, I wish my bank account was Marcus Rojos or Marcus Rashfords or..... sorry I've run out of Marcuses - but you get what I'm saying!

dronesoul

Will never forget this tackle:

Didn't even get a yellow. Then literally the next game he does:

Got a yellow for that. Mad bastard.
Haha, both tackles clearly worthy of a red. Were both of them Sunday games? Was thinking the refs maybe had too little much fun the night before each game.

dronesoul

the void left by SAF leaving and the problems that the club has had to face, in the intervening years.
I agree that SAF’s departure probably is much to blame, but lately (and I don’t know why I haven’t before) I’ve come to believe that Scholes departure, which coincided with SAF quitting, plays a big part as well.

In any case, the Man Utd placement record in the league was crazy consistent with 1st and 2nds. Then Scholes and Fergie Ferg quit (for real) and the team hasn’t been close to the SAF/Scholes era since.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
16m and Nani has to be quite high up the crappest transfer business we've done.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Beast of a player. Saw someone question his commitment, that absolute BS.
Commitment isn't just smashing people in challenges.
Commitment can also mean actually trying hard in training, having a great attitude and being bothered to try and get in the team at the weekend.

Crickus

Was always full bloodied and never down tools... Just was not the best of players.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Commitment isn't just smashing people in challenges.
Commitment can also mean actually trying hard in training, having a great attitude and being bothered to try and get in the team at the weekend.
Did he ever not do any of that?