Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobbs

:lol:

Josh has scored 14 goals in 133 professional games. Rashford 5 goals in 9 professional games and at the top level!
It's a very random comparison. What I find funny is that when likening one player to another they always have the same skin colour. Always happens.

itso 7

It depends on a number of factors. Who will be managing and James Wilson/Will Keane for starters. The Rooney situation all comes down to who will be managing next season in my opinion and I won't be disappointed if in the washup that Rashford goes back down to the 21's or goes out to the Championship or the Top division on loan. I think that it will probably benefit him getting a year of consistent football as he has skipped a lot of steps in the progression from the 18's to the first team.

I think people need to be prepared for that and to be patient about his potential in development. He is raw and he has the ability, we have to make tough decisions at the end of this season and I don't think everyone will be left satisfied.
There is a thin line between being patient about a player's potential and holding a young player back unnecessarily so whilst what you say has some merit we always have to consider that this young man took his chance where countless others fail so we need to reward that. Sending him down to the U21s or on loan to some Championship team is not a reward, keeping him in and around the first team, obviously with reduced responsibilities, is a reward of sorts because it gives him a chance to stake a claim on more prominent role. It doesn't mean that he is above playing games for the U21s but that he has immense potential which can be utilized now.
We have Rooney and Martial as our two senior strikers and they have both 'skipped the steps' you are putting so much import on, that's not my point though, but that having so few strikers present opportunities for Rashford and Wilson to stake a claim for that third striker role whilst, obviously getting games at U21 level.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Needs to stay and be a no 2/3 or loaned to a premier league side as a no1.
Also Rooney needs to be moved on.

Dobbs

There is a thin line between being patient about a player's potential and holding a young player back unnecessarily so whilst what you say has some merit we always have to consider that this young man took his chance where countless others fail so we need to reward that. Sending him down to the U21s or on loan to some Championship team is not a reward, keeping him in and around the first team, obviously with reduced responsibilities, is a reward of sorts because it gives him a chance to stake a claim on more prominent role. It doesn't mean that he is above playing games for the U21s but that he has immense potential which can be utilized now.
We have Rooney and Martial as our two senior strikers and they have both 'skipped the steps' you are putting so much import on, that's not my point though, but that having so few strikers present opportunities for Rashford and Wilson to stake a claim for that third striker role whilst, obviously getting games at U21 level.
Seems about right to me. Relegating him back to the U21's as a permanent fixture won't do him any favours. Being in or around the first team will give his development so much more.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If we truly believe in youths then its time to show it. Lets invest our dosh in wingers who ooze creativity and goals and lets trust Martial and Rashford upfront.

khoazany

:lol:

Josh has scored 14 goals in 133 professional games. Rashford 5 goals in 9 professional games and at the top level!
I'm not even talking about goals because believe it or not, we have only focused on developing his finishing in the last 2 seasons after deciding to convert him into striker.Reading some acting as if he's some sort of natural poacher and that's it is hilarious.

itso 7

Seems about right to me. Relegating him back to the U21's as a permanent fixture won't do him any favours. Being in or around the first team will give his development so much more.
Right on, for all Woodward, Fergie, LVG's posturing about youth Rashford's case will show exactly how much the academy and youth products are really the cornerstone of our club's future. Also when Rooney is back we will see how deliberate LVG was when giving these kids chances.

Drainy

I'm not even talking about goals because believe it or not, we have only focused on developing his finishing in the last 2 seasons after deciding to convert him into striker.Reading some acting as if he's some sort of natural poacher and that's it is hilarious.
He was more of an attacking midfielder at u16s and below wasn't he?

I certainly remember watching him for England schoolboys as a number 10, where he seemed more of a playmaker than a goalscorer

Devil may care

Dumping back down to the U21's wont do him any good, he's more than merited his place in the first team squad.

Perrick Dubois

Are we talking about from the fans perspective? Or are we talking about from a coach/managerial perspective? Because the fans need to be patient regardless. He's 18 and he's clearly not ready to lead the line for a top club yet. He took a chance being 7th choice player. As much as I say well played to the lad, that is not the ideal scenario to be "taking your chance" where there is a transfer window, possible manager re-shuffle and players returning which will put him further down the pecking order for next season. He still won't be in his peak for another 6-8 years there is plenty of time to be patient and give him first team football on loan or blood him in the u21's (as he hasn't even played a game for them yet).

In my opinion we probably want four forwards. Two main senior forwards (Martial is much better on the left and also not ready to play as a forward we'd be better off declaring him for the left and gaining an extra proper striker), one main utility backup forward and then the fourth sport be for another utility you can keep happy or you continue to bring through a young guy into the mix (who ideally will get league cup games and say 10-15 appearances of 30 minutes off the bench a season, more if he is lucky).

It presented no chance for Wilson, if he was not loaned and stayed fit we'd have not seen Rashford at all. So part of developing young players is knowing when to play them, when to move them on loan and when to keep the champing at the bit for minutes by holding them back just that little bit. Quite clearly Rashford needs to go on loan for a full season next year or to the 21's as my guess is Wilson will return into the mix and Will Keane who is also technically "ahead" of him in the order will have to either be moved on (likely) or will stay ahead of him. The manager situation presents further webs for him to be caught in. So I think a loan will be the safest bet for a lot of minutes. A full responsibility role where he plays 50 games a season will be perfect for him at 18 at his stage of development. He isn't going to get that at United regardless and he is only 18 remember.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Why would we deomte him back to U21 football where they hardly ever play while giving his spot to Wilson who hasn't done anything notable at senior level? He took his shot and is rightfully ahead of the others kids.

WhoDaGOAT

It's a very random comparison. What I find funny is that when likening one player to another they always have the same skin colour. Always happens.
Black players tend to be fast and powerful. No big deal. It's in the genes.

King was quite the talent as a teenager. I saw a lot of Benzema in him. Obviously he hasn't been able to transfer his goals to senior level, despite having the physical tools necessary to flourish at this level. He is a threat but needs to improve his end product. He's never going to give a defender an easy game, but should be making better use of his qualities. He's done really well this season though, I'm happy for him. A good signing by Howe.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Even after Rooney comes back, he is going to come out of the bench for the first two games. So Rashford should start even then. And if keeps scoring he should stay in the team and the manager can drop Lingard and put Rooney in the #10 role if he wants to.

Loublaze

ATLien

King was quite the talent as a teenager. I saw a lot of Benzema in him. Obviously he hasn't been able to transfer his goals to senior level, despite having the physical tools necessary to flourish at this level. He is a threat but needs to improve his end product. He's never going to give a defender an easy game, but should be making better use of his qualities. He's done really well this season though, I'm happy for him. A good signing by Howe.
What do you think of Ashley Fletcher? He's been doing well on loan for Barnsley, just scored his fifth goal for them at Wembley in the final of the Johnstones paint trophy last weekend. Barnsley won

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Josh King, perhaps alongside Rossi, was the most impressive forward I can recall seeing in recent times in our youth set up. I really thought he'd make it here.

Dobbs

Josh King, perhaps alongside Rossi, was the most impressive forward I can recall seeing in recent times in our youth set up. I really thought he'd make it here.
Blimey it just goes to show how football can divide opinion. Never rated King, a decent athlete who could play a bit. Nowhere near Rossi. Ebanks Blake, Campbell and Keane looked better to me as well.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Blimey it just goes to show how football can divide opinion. Never rated King, a decent athlete who could play a bit. Nowhere near Rossi. Ebanks Blake, Campbell and Keane looked better to me as well.
Same, never rated King but to be honest i never really rated Campbell or Ebanks Blake either......Rossi is the standout player obviously, easily the best player that we had in academy after Ravel.
Keane was also special, i do rate Wilson very highly and also rated Fabian Brandy.
To categorize them, i would say Rossi would go into special players bracket, Will and Willo into good enough for United and Brandy into maybe bracket.

Dobbs

Same, never rated King but to be honest i never really rated Campbell or Ebanks Blake either......Rossi is the standout player obviously, easily the best player that we had in academy after Ravel.
Keane was also special, i do rate Wilson very highly and also rated Fabian Brandy.
To categorize them, i would say Rossi would go into special players bracket, Will and Willo into good enough for United and Brandy into maybe bracket.
Still can't beleive we let Rossi go. So out of character for SAF. Only his injuries have prevented that from being a disastrous decision.

Yeah the more I think about this whole Josh King comparison the more bizzare it seems.

Walters_19_MuFc

We're going to have to make a big decision in regards to what we do with Rashford next season. I don't think he will start, but I still want him to get loads of games, in order for him to keep progressing.

Personally, I would move Rooney to number 10, keep Martial on the wing, and get in a first choice striker. People are calling for Lukaku, but at only 22, it will slow down the development of Rashford. Ideally, we should probably be looking at a striker around 27/28, so when he gets to about 30, we can slowly start to faze him out, hoping Rashford will be ready to be first choice at 21/22. Of course we'd still have Martial too.

WhoDaGOAT

What do you think of Ashley Fletcher? He's been doing well on loan for Barnsley, just scored his fifth goal for them at Wembley in the final of the Johnstones paint trophy last weekend. Barnsley won
I think he's at the right level and should look to make the move permanent. He could find himself up the leagues with time. Afobe did the same.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
I'm really curious about what else is in his box. He's been a bit lucky with the goals so far I would say. I really wish to see something special or he's just going to be another fast guy like Lingard.

Stacks

:lol: mate that's well funny! African Americans tend to be genetically fast and strong but that's down to 300 years of selective breeding. Give me 10 million white Europeans and 300 years to selectively breed them and I'll give you a fine specimen of a human;)
I assume you are joking since very few black players playing in European football are African American and it would take more than 300 years for major genetic differences to emerge. How does one develop genes for fast running through working all day in the hot ass sun on a plantation? lol

Walters_19_MuFc

I'm really curious about what else is in his box. He's been a bit lucky with the goals so far I would say. I really wish to see something special or he's just going to be another fast guy like Lingard.
Seriously?

For 18, the lads has shown a lot to his game. His hold up play, link up, movement (when to drop, when to run in behind or make a decoy run) and intelligence around the box is of a player way beyond his years, in my opinion.

I also fail to see how his goals have been lucky. Midtjylland he scored two very good goals, being in the right place at the right time. That's something that can't be taught, and something we missed in the first leg.

Against Arsenal it was the same. Being in the right place at the right time. Two very well taken goals.

Against City, yes, Demechilis could have defended a lot better for his goal, but the quickness of thought and finish when he was one on one with Hart was impressive.

RedTiger

Half mast
I assume you are joking since very few black players playing in European football are African American and it would take more than 300 years for major genetic differences to emerge. How does one develop genes for fast running through working all day in the hot ass sun on a plantation? lol
That's my point! He says "black" but in reality Africans in Africa are as different physically as anywhere else in the world. The only people you could use the argument of genes with is African Americans.

RedTiger

Half mast
By making sure that the slow lethargic workers never get to have sex, you refine the gene pool that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.