Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Was poor last night.

Sanchez kept nipping in front of him to steal the ball and Rashford did nothing to change that.
He had two CBs shadowing him, so that is to be expected. This is what happens every striker.

Stacks

19 and he's won a Community Shield, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League medal (playing a key role) and been arguably his country's best player at the Euros.

Not a bad start really.
Very good start to a career. The Euros stuff is nonsense though. didn't he play about 30 mins or something?
lets face it, he was poor tonight. whenever he runs at defenders i inevitably expect him to lose possession. he's a talent, but he has a lot to do to become world class.
He has never been a player who has World Class potential or natural talent. If he became world class, it would have to be through sheer luck like Harry Kane.

19! NINETEEN.

Already with four winners medals in his cabinet! This kid will be a star, never gives up, always want to run in behind. His hold up play will grow as he develops as a footballer but we have an absolute gem here lads. Love him to bits.
He may always be behind Kane for England and will be back up for Man Utd always. remember Daniel Sturridge had more talent at a young age but he isn't exactly a star?

This will be an unpopular opinion here; but I honestly don't think he's any better than Welbeck was. I don't think he'll reach the 'world class' heights that some people expect either.

I hope I'm wrong and all that.
He is far better than Welbeck was

I agree. I really want him to turn into the world beater some people expect him to become, but I'm not convinced he will ever progress beyond a pacy forward with a mediocre goal return.

I expect his hold up play and decision making to improve, but it's more difficult to "learn" how to take defenders on with the ball, and finishing...you tend to either be natural at those things or you don't.

I never once believed this to be his destiny. Neymar is a world beater and at 19, the 2 players are oceans apart in their development technically and mentally. By 20 years of age, Neymar was on 17 goals in 27 games for the Brazilian national team(more pressure than England). When you talk about world beaters, that's what you are competing against. Whenever people say he has world class potential, I think of Michael Owen, Fernando Torres and then realise they are talking crap. At Rashfords age, Torres was leading the line for Atletico by himself, to similar league finishes. Rashford is a great talent and will play for us for his entire career hopefully. From what we have seen of him, he is not on the destination of the Owen, Neymar, Rooney, Fowler, Torres' etc. Again, for him to become world class, it would have to be a fluke like with Kane. I would be content even if he reached Vardy/Hernandez level by improving his movement and finishing. He'll make over 30 appearances a season and earn over 100k per year. For a youth prospect that cost nothing, that is a great development for United.

Manny

Grammar Police
He had two CBs shadowing him, so that is to be expected. This is what happens every striker.
Its not going to get any easier next season. He has to adjust quicker. Move towards the pass, move into different areas of the pitch, come short, go wide.

Too often he allowed Sanchez to do the same thing over and over, sneak up behind and nick the ball, because Rashford wanted it to feet and expected space to turn.

Akshay

Staff
He had one poor game and people are ready to write him off. Unbelievable. He's had a good season, shows the right attitude and has gotten plenty of valuable experience. I expect him to keep improving. Trying to deduce a 19 year old's potential ceiling is an exercise in vain, just enjoy what we have - an exciting young Academy talent.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Its not going to get any easier next season. He has to adjust quicker. Move towards the pass, move into different areas of the pitch, come short, go wide.

Too often he allowed Sanchez to do the same thing over and over, sneak up behind and nick the ball, because Rashford wanted it to feet and expected space to turn.
You are not listening to me. He was up there alone. He had two defenders side by side of him and then he had another DM in front of him. The probability of him getting the ball is low. The probability of him doing something productive when he has the ball is also low. That is not because he is a bad player. It is because he has opposing players surrounding him and not enough team mates to support him.

Manny

Grammar Police
You are not listening to me. He was up there alone. He had two defenders side by side of him and then he had another DM in front of him. The probability of him getting the ball is low. The probability of him doing something productive when he has the ball is also low. That is not because he is a bad player. It is because he has opposing players surrounding him and not enough team mates to support him.
I'm assuming you've confused me with another poster because at no point have I said he is poor player. Only that he's had a bad game and that he needs to make adjustments in game.

As far as being up there alone against two CBs and DM, it wont be the last time he faces that, and someone with his ability should still be able ask questions of them. He could have vacated his position, pulled them wide, drag them deep, test the communication between all three and see how well they pass marking responsibilities to each other. As it was, he was too static, didn't move early enough or was looking for balls over top despite Sanchez matching him for pace.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I'm assuming you've confused me with another poster because at no point have I said he is poor player. Only that he's had a bad game and that he needs to make adjustments in game.

As far as being up there alone against two CBs and DM, it wont be the last time he faces that, and someone with his ability should still be able ask questions of them. He could have vacated his position, pulled them wide, drag them deep, test the communication between all three and see how well they pass marking responsibilities to each other. As it was, he was too static, didn't move early enough or was looking for balls over top despite Sanchez matching him for pace.

We were just humping the ball in any which direction. So Smalling or Blind or Darmian would clear it without looking where Rashford was. Rashford was up there all alone and could not cover that amount of space by himself. You are questioning Rashford, the same thing would have happened to Ibra or any other striker for that matter, simply because he would be outnumbered three to one and have to beat the offside trap.

Your questioning of Rashford is wrong.

ilovethisgameahahah

He had one poor game and people are ready to write him off. Unbelievable. He's had a good season, shows the right attitude and has gotten plenty of valuable experience. I expect him to keep improving. Trying to deduce a 19 year old's potential ceiling is an exercise in vain, just enjoy what we have - an exciting young Academy talent.
He wasn't even that poor. He was getting fouled every time he had the ball and spent 90% of the game isolated up the pitch and having long balls chucked 20m either side of him, any striker in the world would have looked poor in the defensive system we were playing in last night.

Bojan11

This will be an unpopular opinion here; but I honestly don't think he's any better than Welbeck was. I don't think he'll reach the 'world class' heights that some people expect either.

I hope I'm wrong and all that.
He's better than Welbeck but I do agree about the world class heights part.

He's not ready to lead the line yet especially in a Jose team. Costa/Drogba would have bullied those two defenders and we need that sort of presence up front.

izec

He never gets the fouls called, i wonder why. Not the first time i noticed that. Sometimes i wish he would fall with the first contact and play it more clever, the kid is so honest ( exception that one penalty) but never gets a foul

Manny

Grammar Police
We were just humping the ball in any which direction. So Smalling or Blind or Darmian would clear it without looking where Rashford was. Rashford was up there all alone and could not cover that amount of space by himself. You are questioning Rashford, the same thing would have happened to Ibra or any other striker for that matter, simply because he would be outnumbered three to one and have to beat the offside trap.

Your questioning of Rashford is wrong.
Except the same problems were occurring when better passers than those you mentioned passed it to him too.

And there is no point dragging Ibra and his game in to the discussion. Rashford has vastly different tools including pace, movement and the ability to use the ball in wide areas. He needed to use all of them break away from his marker or drag them into area they'd rather not go. But instead he stayed up top and central, 'being marked by three players'.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's always amusing when someone makes a definitive statement on a 19 year old kid. I think Rashford has good solid foundation to be a good striker. I think a guy like Ibrahimovic, as good as he can be, is a confidence-sucking teammate. His personality is so big, that everything must revolve around him and for a young striker, sure you might learn a few things from being around a great striker, but more than anything you need confidence. I think the team would be much better off getting rid of Zlatan and complementing Rashford with an experience striker. Somebody like Griezmann, regardless of how he is utilized by Mourinho, will have positive repercussions on Rashford's development.

RC89

I'm not gonna criticise his performance, he was left very isolated with long balls and running the channels. If that was Martial though, he'd be getting much worse treatment.

AndyJ1985

I'm not gonna criticise his performance, he was left very isolated with long balls and running the channels. If that was Martial though, he'd be getting much worse treatment.
Because Martial has been shite all season. Understandably people get fed up of consistently poor performances and get harsher with their criticism.

RC89

Because Martial has been shite all season. Understandably people get fed up of consistently poor performances and get harsher with their criticism.
No worse than Rashford really. He was on a crazy barren run, which I personally won't hold against him but again, Martial would get lambasted.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Rashford isn't a #9. He's a left winger.

Playing him as a solo 9 isn't going to work. He needs Aubameyang to play beside and learn from. Similar game..yet Aubameyang is older, faster and stronger than Rashford.

Rashford is 3 years away.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's always amusing when someone makes a definitive statement on a 19 year old kid. I think Rashford has good solid foundation to be a good striker. I think a guy like Ibrahimovic, as good as he can be, is a confidence-sucking teammate. His personality is so big, that everything must revolve around him and for a young striker, sure you might learn a few things from being around a great striker, but more than anything you need confidence. I think the team would be much better off getting rid of Zlatan and complementing Rashford with an experience striker. Somebody like Griezmann, regardless of how he is utilized by Mourinho, will have positive repercussions on Rashford's development.
I get what you mean but it works both ways, Zlatan is the one that can take the criticism and cover up the inefficiencies of the younger players game.

Akshay

Staff
I get what you mean but it works both ways, Zlatan is the one that can take the criticism and cover up the inefficiencies of the younger players game.
Yep, without Zlatan to score goals in the earlier part of the season the media would have been asking about Rashford's goal drought and his responsibility in United's struggles after every game. And then demanded to know why Rooney wasn't played instead.

5 goals in 16 starts/32 games is not a good season. He's done some good things but he's still got a lot to work on. His pace causes problems but he's too easily marked out of a game and he needs to be calmer with his finishing. He has time to learn but the next couple of seasons are key.

Akshay

Staff
5 goals in 16 starts/32 games is not a good season. He's done some good things but he's still got a lot to work on. His pace causes problems but he's too easily marked out of a game and he needs to be calmer with his finishing. He has time to learn but the next couple of seasons are key.
It does depend on your expectations I suppose. I never expected him to hit the heights he did last season for numerous reasons. He had a goal drought for the first few months but I think his return has been fine after that. I guess I'm judging him by '19 year old' standards not 'star at United' standards.

I agree with you on all his shortcomings, and he needs to keep improving for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.