Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Zlatan has just made his debut and scored a wonderful goal. Plus he has just come of a season where he scored like 50 goals and been one of the best strikers in the world. Rashford has came of his breakthrough season, if this was like 10 games into the season I would understand it more but not on a friendly. Now if it was to take Rooney's position that makes sense as last season Rashford showed more but not on Zlatan or Mkyt for that point! What if we sign Pogba and first game he does ok but Rashford comes on and playes well in is position should we drop Pogba??
You didn't understand my point. I'm not basing this off of one preseason game. I'm rather making a general statement that if Rashford is the better option, he deserves to start. I don't care about names and past accomplishments, I care about the current team.

settembrini

His pace and movement upfront make such a difference. We saw it last season and we saw it again today. It's not even just about when we have the ball, he scares the opposition when they have it. In the first half the Galatasaray defensive players were all pushing up into midfield because they knew Ibrahimovic and Rooney couldn't do anything to them on the break. This allowed them to dominate the game. Second half that was impossible and it was because of Rashford being upfront.

waza7111

He made a huge difference with his pace. I hope Mourinho is not afraid to take Zlatan off if it isn't working or maybe try Rashford on the right and play Mkhitaryan centrally.

Devil may care

He's not a new signing mate. Give it a year and people will clamour for a new shiny toy to replace Shaw.
This is the thing I don't get, I said a near the end of his last thread when someone posted a vid of his season, that if Rashford were a wonderkid for someone else like Gabriel Jesus we'd be clamouring to pay £30M for him, yet we have this dynamic young gem on our own doorstep and some seem incapable of getting with the old age adage that if you're good enough, you're old enough, he completely turned the game for us in the second half.

SteveW

I'd suggest we give Zlatan a try first........
I think Zlatan will be great once the team is playing well and can give him service. He'll be great at home when we're on top but struggling to put a chance away. He'll win us a lot of points this season just like RVP did by having that extra bit of quality.

However I think right now and against the better teams we need someone like Rashford more. His pace, cleverness and movement bring the team up a level. It's about choosing the right times to use them. It's NOT about picking one player over the other just because he's a bigger name.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You didn't understand my point. I'm not basing this off of one preseason game. I'm rather making a general statement that if Rashford is the better option, he deserves to start. I don't care about names and past accomplishments, I care about the current team.
My quote was something like "cannot believe people are calling for Rashford at this point to start in front of Zlatan. This place is mental."

your quote

"If he outperforms him, he deserves to start over him, it's that simple".

Do you mean I didn't understand your statement as it wasn't clear? Because other than going on todays game why would you think Rashford would deserve to start over Zlatan our brand new signing??

Man-United

I think Zlatan will be great once the team is playing well and can give him service. He'll be great at home when we're on top but struggling to put a chance away. He'll win us a lot of points this season just like RVP did by having that extra bit of quality.

However I think right now and against the better teams we need someone like Rashford more. His pace, cleverness and movement bring the team up a level. It's about choosing the right times to use them. It's NOT about picking one player over the other just because he's a bigger name.
But could we not just play both, and have one of them as the Second striker/AM? The way Rooney has played in the AM role it will be no loss.

Though there's so many games this season that I hope we can play 4-3-3 in certain games, 4-2-3-1 in other.

Theonas

Scout
This is the thing I don't get, I said a near the end of his last thread when someone posted a vid of his season, that if Rashford were a wonderkid for someone else like Gabriel Jesus we'd be clamouring to pay £30M for him, yet we have this dynamic young gem on our own doorstep and some seem incapable of getting with the old age adage that if you're good enough, you're old enough, he completely turned the game for us in the second half.
I know! I wasn't even being sarcastic. What I don't understand is how after a disappointing season, the diagnosis is usually that everything is useless. Defence bad, attack horrible, midfield clueless, manager an idiot and the grass is $hite and therefore of course we need to change every single thing. Fast forward 12 months and the same reaction all over again. Surely if we were so bad to begin with we'd have ended up relegated instead of 5th with an FA Cup? Don't know if it's the sensationalist approach to analysis or simply the inherent muppetry of most fans that tells them new signings are the single most exciting thing in football.

Lawman

Bigger name has nothing to do with it. Zlatan was one of the best strikers in the world last season! We just signed him we should play him let him have a dozen games to settle (he wasn't bad today). If Rashford continues to be electric coming on or starting alongside Zlatan then play the kid. But no way in the world does one half today in a friendly change the fact that Rashford should be starting in front of Zlatan. Mental to think that. Yes by all means start him but certainly not at the expense of Zlatan for feck sake.

pascell

I think we should all just sit back and enjoy watching both Rashford and Ibra. 2 completely different players, that offer completely different things but they're both goalscorers.

We're going to score a hell of a lot of goals more than we did last season and Rashford is going to carry on progressing, enjoy the ride guys!

Xeno

Shame there's no real way to start them both. Ibra #9 behind Rashford, drop Rooney?

SteveW

Bigger name has nothing to do with it. Zlatan was one of the best strikers in the world last season! We just signed him we should play him let him have a dozen games to settle (he wasn't bad today). If Rashford continues to be electric coming on or starting alongside Zlatan then play the kid. But no way in the world does one half today in a friendly change the fact that Rashford should be starting in front of Zlatan. Mental to think that. Yes by all means start him but certainly not at the expense of Zlatan for feck sake.
First choice because he's Zlatan. Got it. I don't see much point in arguing with you since you've clearly made up your mind. To me that in itself seems more mental than picking based on form, the needs of the team, tactics etc but to each their own.

Edit: We've just signed him so he should play? :houllier: What the hell is that about? We sign a 35 year old on a free so he should play. Rashford is the future of this club. Zlatan is a stop gap. Don't forget it

Lawman

First choice because he's Zlatan. Got it. I don't see much point in arguing with you since you've clearly made up your mind. To me that in itself seems more mental than picking based on form, the needs of the team, tactics etc but to each their own.
Are you on the wind up? What form are you going by?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That's not what he said at all. He said he was one of the best players in the world last season, which he was. It's not because he's Zlatan, it's because nothing about him suggests he's not still one of the best in the world yet.

Man-United

Edit: We've just signed him so he should play? :houllier: What the hell is that about? We sign a 35 year old on a free so he should play. Rashford is the future of this club. Zlatan is a stop gap. Don't forget it
Based on form? Then Zlatan and Rashford should start together.

eggwithsideburns

I love how he plays without any fear and runs at defenders. He is our most exciting player to watch.

SteveW

Are you on the wind up? What form are you going by?
Based on form? Then Zlatan and Rashford should start together.
This was a general point. There is no form to speak of for either yet. I'm saying these points should be considered. It shouldn't be just, the new signing is first choice because he's a new signing or because he scored goals in France last season. It should be based on what's need to win games.

Devil may care

I know! I wasn't even being sarcastic. What I don't understand is how after a disappointing season, the diagnosis is usually that everything is useless. Defence bad, attack horrible, midfield clueless, manager an idiot and the grass is $hite and therefore of course we need to change every single thing. Fast forward 12 months and the same reaction all over again. Surely if we were so bad to begin with we'd have ended up relegated instead of 5th with an FA Cup? Don't know if it's the sensationalist approach to analysis or simply the inherent muppetry of most fans that tells them new signings are the single most exciting thing in football.
We've had 3 very poor seasons but the baby doesn't need to go out with the bathwater, but as you say sensationalism is the order of the day. We had holes no doubt and I think out signings have been the right ones for where we are lacking, I like the Ibra buy because it gives Rashford a season or 2 to develop further without lumping everything on him, however I still expect to see plenty of him this season

Lawman

This was a general point. There is no form to speak of for either yet. I'm saying these points should be considered. It shouldn't be just, the new signing is first choice because he's a new signing or because he scored goals in France last season. It should be based on what's need to win games.
Yes and you'll find Zlatan is one of our best players if not our best and he should be playing. But fast forward a dozen games and if he isn't playing well then I would concede your point but not after 1 half of a debut in a friendly. Either you can understand that or you can't. But for me Zlatan to start all day long and if Rashford was to start id prefer it to be over Rooney.

adamwest

Damn he burned that left back didn't he? The boy can really put on the afterburners.

worldinmotion66

How he didn't get more game time in France is beyond me. So direct and enthusiastic, much like a young Rooney. I'm sure he will be an important impact player for us this season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
What's brilliant in this thread is we finally have some serious competition for attacking places with exceptional forwards. People arguing about Ibrahimovic and Rashford and who should start, well that's exactly what I want and thats exactly what Mourinho will want as well as he can pick the players to suit different tactics. It's a selection headache that I'm hoping we have all season because that could inspire both players to play even better. Truly exciting times...

Hed Zitin

The kid is pure class. Up front, on the wings, or 10, he must play. I really hope he isn't stuck on the bench playing 20 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.