6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Yes and you'll find Zlatan is one of our best players if not our best and he should be playing. But fast forward a dozen games and if he isn't playing well then I would concede your point but not after 1 half of a debut in a friendly. Either you can understand that or you can't. But for me Zlatan to start all day long and if Rashford was to start id prefer it to be over Rooney.
Trust me I get it. You think Zlatan is the fcking dogs bollocks, automatically one of if not our best players and therefore has to start regardless of tactics, the opposition, balance of the team etc. It's been crystal clear from the very start.

My opinion is that he's a good, formerly great player who's 35 years old and going into a struggling team in a faster more competitive league than what he's used to. I've already said he'll be successful but I think it's naive just to assume it's all going to simple for him and that other very good players with different attributes won't be more useful at times. Tonight Rashford was more useful because of his mobility.

Acole9

Outstanding
Most skilful player this country has produced for some time. If he continues to keep his head down he could be a phenomenal player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Trust me I get it. You think Zlatan is the fcking dogs bollocks, automatically one of if not our best players and therefore has to start regardless of tactics, the opposition, balance of the team etc. It's been crystal clear from the very start.

My opinion is that he's a good, formerly great player who's 35 years old and going into a struggling team in a faster more competitive league than what he's used to. I've already said he'll be successful but I think it's naive just to assume it's all going to simple for him and that other very good players with different attributes won't be more useful at times. Tonight Rashford was more useful because of his mobility.
Think it's far more naive to think Rashford should start the season over him on form after half a friendly! Plus I don't assume anything about it being simple for Zlatan. He is older and you're right about the league. But he was also miles ahead of any our front men last season. And what you can expect is Jose will not have his head turned in half a friendly about starting Rashford over Zlatan. That all along has been my point! Now if people had said about Rashford replacing Rooney then I would say they have a very valid point.

panz

Apart from the fact that he is fantastic on the ball, his movement off the ball creating spaces and opening up options for others is great, plus his attitude surprises me for an 18y/o, demanding the ball and not being afraid to try things.

Would like to see him start all the Europa games and be given time in league games as well. Jose will use him wisely.

Can't wait for the seasons to come, hope he keeps going.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
My quote was something like "cannot believe people are calling for Rashford at this point to start in front of Zlatan. This place is mental."

your quote

"If he outperforms him, he deserves to start over him, it's that simple".

Do you mean I didn't understand your statement as it wasn't clear? Because other than going on todays game why would you think Rashford would deserve to start over Zlatan our brand new signing??
That depends on the team we face and how Mourinho wants to play. At times, Rashford's pace could be more useful than Ibrahimovic's qualities. Again, it doesn't matter if Ibrahimovic is our new signing or a big name, if Rashford proves to be more useful and performs, he should play.

Dobbs

To be fair nobody's criticising him. It's just a few people want Zlatan more.
I don't know about that. Somebody on here compared him to Josh King.

Those who think he'll only get games via the Europa League are wide of the mark. It's a cliché but it's true. Defenders fear pace more than anything else.

Shark

@NotShark
I think it's pretty obvious he isn't a flash in the pan at this point. The difference between Rashford and someone like Januzaj is that he also has the perfect attitude to go along with his talent. Also, this may be controversial on here but I don't think Januzaj has half the talent. Reason I'm bring him up is because he's the last academy player to generate so much hype.

SteveW

Think it's far more naive to think Rashford should start the season over him on form after half a friendly! Plus I don't assume anything about it being simple for Zlatan. He is older and you're right about the league. But he was also miles ahead of any our front men last season. And what you can expect is Jose will not have his head turned in half a friendly about starting Rashford over Zlatan. That all along has been my point! Now if people had said about Rashford replacing Rooney then I would say they have a very valid point.
This is frustrating. I've already said its not about tonight's game. Its about different players being suited to different matches. You've now just changed your point to a prediction about what Jose will do. All along it was about Ibra being our best player so he had to start. Make your fecking mind up

Brightonian

I think it's pretty obvious he isn't a flash in the pan at this point. The difference between Rashford and someone like Januzaj is that he also has the perfect attitude to go along with his talent. Also, this may be controversial on here but I don't think Januzaj has half the talent. Reason I'm bring him up is because he's the last academy player to generate so much hype.
If you're talking about raw talent, it's controversial because anyone who's watched enough of them both (i.e. a lot more than their small sample of senior minutes) could tell you it's nonsense. Both clearly highly gifted from a very young age, Januzaj probably more so if we're just talking about technical ability.

If we're talking about attitude, Januzaj used to be noted for having an excellent attitude, but it does seem like he's struggled with coming down in the world so soon after rocketing up, so that's probably a fair accusation. The really important thing Rashford has over Januzaj isn't attitude though, it's pace. Januzaj wasn't slow but Rashford is off the charts and it does at least as much for him as his other qualities. Think how often he doesn't cleanly beat the man but it doesn't matter because he can pull away so easily. Januzaj, once players caught on to how tricky he was, could never translate wrong-footing his defender into showing him a clean set of heels.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
The thing i love the most about him its that mistakes dont effect him, if he makes a mistake he doesnt care he keeps going like it didnt happen....thats a lovely quality to have, most players(not only young ones) drop their head after a mistake, start playing with little bit of fear but not Rash, he keeps going like his previous action was a successful piece of skill and not a lost possession.

luke511

His link up play is borderline world class, it's not even an exaggeration. He squeezes one twos off left right and centre and it opens up our whole attack. He has that consistency you only find in top players.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
The thing i love the most about him its that mistakes dont effect him, if he makes a mistake he doesnt care he keeps going like it didnt happen....thats a lovely quality to have, most players(not only young ones) drop their head after a mistake, start playing with little bit of fear but not Rash, he keeps going like his previous action was a successful piece of skill and not a lost possession.
Good point, that. I think Memphis suffers from that a lot. I remember that game against Brugge where he scored those 2 excellent goals, then he skied the chance to complete the hat trick early in the 2nd half. He seemed to sulk through the rest of that game and couldn't just shrug it off. He's done it a few times, and you can normally tell how Memphis' game is going to go within the first 10 minutes. If he fluffs something early on, he's not going to play his way out of it.

Rashford, being young, has made plenty of errors. Over hit passes and overrun dribbles, but he just gets on with it.

Dir Wangem

The kid has great potential. He has a completely different vibe than Januzaj, who I was worried about from the beginning. Rashford seems incredibly focused and unafraid, but without the youthful cockiness that usually follows these traits with players around that age. He's very mature in that sense.

Anyone wanting him to start over Zlatan already needs to calm down, though. Let him be an understudy for the time being. He's just 18 years old, and it's not like our bench is filled with good attacking players. He'll get plenty of minutes, regardless.

santeria13

Sublemon
Wow. people are really going to start with the whole Rashford > Zlatan thing after a friendly where the former has only had two trainng sessions and still managed to score a scissor kick in 4 minutes with his first shot? This place is so kneejerk sometimes:lol: .

While Rashford is an incredibly gifted talent, and I am excited as anyone by his potential, I think people are going abit OTT. If he is consistently outperforming Zlatan over the course of 10 games or so, then yeah why not? Most of the arguments I've seen so far are simply that Rashford is faster than Zlatan and thus should be starting. By that logic, Rashford is already better than Suarez and lewandowski I assume?

After 45 mins of a fecking friendly though. Seriously people? Both still have a lot to prove in terms of who should be leading our line(logically, as the season is still yet to start). At the moment, I would go for Zlatan though simply because his goalscoring record speaks for itself and the experience and character he brings to the team is irreplacable. Give the guy the correct service, he will score a lot of goals. It's that simple. Today, he had no service whatsoever, mainly down to the disaster that was Rooney, Schneiderlin and Herrera being completely outplayed and dominated in midfield. The one decent delivery he received, he scored a lovely goal. What more was there for him to do? When the whole team is playing utter drab how is the man at the front meant to have an impact? Did people not see how often he dropped back in to midfield just to help get the ball forward?

In the second half, we played as a much more cohesive unit and were more in control of the midfield, mainly due to lingard and carrick and as a result rashford thrived from this. Where are the people calling for lingard to start over martial, based off todays game?

Basically my point is Calm the feck down people. Stop making such conclusive statements before our season has even started. Wait a few games and then we and more importantly our manager, will have a better view of what they can both offer us and who should be starting. IMO, Zlatan is the man for now but that is not to say he shouldn't be in danger of losing his place to a talent such as Rashford if he consistently shows he can outplay him against different types of opposition and styles of play. No one should have that comfort at this club.And yes, that was a dig at Rooney.

Why don't we all just sit back and enjoy the fact we have one of the worlds best strikers alongside one of the worlds most promising young strikers as options for that position where a couple of years ago we had a declining Rvp and Rooney to choose from. Always something to complain about.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Some of you need to get a grip with your whining. There are plenty of games for both Zlatan and Rashford to start.

Thank feck you guys weren't around during 1999 when we had four class strikers.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Herrera's replaced Ando as the teams charismatic, loveable core. Everything lovely and solace about our club seems to gravitate towards him and his beautiful smile.

santeria13

Sublemon
Some of you need to get a grip with your whining. There are plenty of games for both Zlatan and Rashford to start.

Thank feck you guys weren't around during 1999 when we had four class strikers.
This. basically a summarized version of what I was trying to say. :cool:

surf

In a striker, speed kills and Rashford has it to the nth degree. While the rest of his game develops this is what will make him stand out as he breezes past defenders. At the rate he is going he could be the lead striker for club and country in a couple of years.

santeria13

Sublemon
But, he's our best player up front!
And you've worked that out after a friendly where both played 45 mins? Not to mention the whole team as a unit were better in the second half, starting from the midfield onward.Mate, you are so anti Mourinho and Zlatan it's not even worth trying to have a constructive argument with you. The attempts you make to cover it up are also quite funny.

So Depay > Martial and Lingard for Mikhitaryan as well I assume, based off pre season form?

Last edited:

Reggie74

Looking forward to seeing this kid develop even further this year. Having Ibra around will help him even further. He'll get his opportunities this season but I'd prefer he didn't play a full season because of his age. This kid can be something special for Man United for many years so let's bring him along at the right pace.

AndyJ1985

Mkhitaryan can play in the middle.

We have a lot of options open to us in attack now. Mkhitaryan can play anywhere. In the middle we have Rooney and Mata. On the right there's no reason Rashford can't be used there when needed.

Sigma

Wow. people are really going to start with the whole Rashford > Zlatan thing after a friendly where the former has only had two trainng sessions and still managed to score a scissor kick in 4 minutes with his first shot? This place is so kneejerk sometimes:lol: .

While Rashford is an incredibly gifted talent, and I am excited as anyone by his potential, I think people are going abit OTT. If he is consistently outperforming Zlatan over the course of 10 games or so, then yeah why not? Most of the arguments I've seen so far are simply that Rashford is faster than Zlatan and thus should be starting. By that logic, Rashford is already better than Suarez and lewandowski I assume?

After 45 mins of a fecking friendly though. Seriously people? Both still have a lot to prove in terms of who should be leading our line(logically, as the season is still yet to start). At the moment, I would go for Zlatan though simply because his goalscoring record speaks for itself and the experience and character he brings to the team is irreplacable. Give the guy the correct service, he will score a lot of goals. It's that simple. Today, he had no service whatsoever, mainly down to the disaster that was Rooney, Schneiderlin and Herrera being completely outplayed and dominated in midfield. The one decent delivery he received, he scored a lovely goal. What more was there for him to do? When the whole team is playing utter drab how is the man at the front meant to have an impact? Did people not see how often he dropped back in to midfield just to help get the ball forward?

In the second half, we played as a much more cohesive unit and were more in control of the midfield, mainly due to lingard and carrick and as a result rashford thrived from this. Where are the people calling for lingard to start over martial, based off todays game?

Basically my point is Calm the feck down people. Stop making such conclusive statements before our season has even started. Wait a few games and then we and more importantly our manager, will have a better view of what they can both offer us and who should be starting. IMO, Zlatan is the man for now but that is not to say he shouldn't be in danger of losing his place to a talent such as Rashford if he consistently shows he can outplay him against different types of opposition and styles of play. No one should have that comfort at this club.And yes, that was a dig at Rooney.

Why don't we all just sit back and enjoy the fact we have one of the worlds best strikers alongside one of the worlds most promising young strikers as options for that position where a couple of years ago we had a declining Rvp and Rooney to choose from. Always something to complain about.
Yup, its naive to think that. A lot of fans are fickle and will change their tune soon

RRCE

It's great to see that Rashford appears to be picking up from where he left off last year. Hopefully he goes from strength to strength. Aside from experience, he really does have it all. Martial gets plenty of praise, and justifiably so, but Rashford is every bit as big a talent. It'll be fun to watch him this season.

criticalanalysis

His link up play is borderline world class, it's not even an exaggeration. He squeezes one twos off left right and centre and it opens up our whole attack. He has that consistency you only find in top players.
He does have an uncanny ability to play precise one-twos in very tight spaces/whilst being pressured. He's needs more work/game time on his hold up play (back facing the goal) though and perhaps his movement where he's not got space to run into (like Martial).

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That depends on the team we face and how Mourinho wants to play. At times, Rashford's pace could be more useful than Ibrahimovic's qualities. Again, it doesn't matter if Ibrahimovic is our new signing or a big name, if Rashford proves to be more useful and performs, he should play.
I totally agree but people calling for it after half a friendly is totally absurd imo.

Ibi Dreams

He does have an uncanny ability to play precise one-twos in very tight spaces/whilst being pressured. He's needs more work/game time on his hold up play (back facing the goal) though and perhaps his movement where he's not got space to run into (like Martial).
I think that must be something that our youth players work on a lot. Welbeck was also good at them, as was Cleverley now and then and Lingard too. I remember seeing some England training goal where Welbeck and Cleverley played about three one-twos with eachother to score a goal. In a real match it's often very difficult to pull that off, but I think it's obvious that Rashford and Lingard try that sort of thing more than our other players do. Rashford also does seem to be brilliant at it, he does so many quick flicks and one touch passes that progress our play

Status
Not open for further replies.