5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

@tjb- the biggest problem I have is we seem to play so many people out of position. For me rashfords best games in his debut season were up top as a striker

But it seemed cos he can run fast let's put him out wide. I get that it's too get him minutes but imagine if spurs played kane as right midfield instead of striker to get him minutes (maybe a bad example since they had no other big name strikers firing when he was given his chance...)

tjb

@tjb- the biggest problem I have is we seem to play so many people out of position. For me rashfords best games in his debut season were up top as a striker

But it seemed cos he can run fast let's put him out wide. I get that it's too get him minutes but imagine if spurs played kane as right midfield instead of striker to get him minutes (maybe a bad example since they had no other big name strikers firing when he was given his chance...)
I agree to an extent, except i do not think rashford is a good lone striker, poor at holding up, bad first touch, no stength,poor balance. It has really shown the last two games. In a two or with proper attacking midfied support, maybe he can be a saha or anelka, but not as a lone in a 433, which we have ironically been playing to accomodate pogba.

We do seem to have many similar players, which has caused this problem. However, this is man utd. The biggest club in the world( well maybe madrid, but at worst 2nd). A young player who has achieved nothing should not expect to be handed what he wants exactly how he wants it, he has to earn it. Even ronaldo used to play on the right, rooney used to play in a multitude of positions, solksjaer used to sometimes play on the flanks. In addition i don't believe the position you play in game should affect developement, given that players train every day, probably in a preferred position. It is hard to believe that game or two in a 6 day work week would cause so much damage to development, especially if they are being coached and practice their movements and runs.

Roeindo

Its not his fault.

He is trying too hard to impress the Manager because the chance is hard to come.

He needs a proper guide cause he is better than this.

Even AOC flourish under Klopp.

Sylar

I agree to an extent, except i do not think rashford is a good lone striker, poor at holding up, bad first touch, no stength,poor balance. It has really shown the last two games. In a two or with proper attacking midfied support, maybe he can be a saha or anelka, but not as a lone in a 433, which we have ironically been playing to accomodate pogba.

We do seem to have many similar players, which has caused this problem. However, this is man utd. The biggest club in the world( well maybe madrid, but at worst 2nd). A young player who has achieved nothing should not expect to be handed what he wants exactly how he wants it, he has to earn it. Even ronaldo used to play on the right, rooney used to play in a multitude of positions, solksjaer used to sometimes play on the flanks. In addition i don't believe the position you play in game should affect developement, given that players train every day, probably in a preferred position. It is hard to believe that game or two in a 6 day work week would cause so much damage to development, especially if they are being coached and practice their movements and runs.
Depends
If you play as a striker you will focus more on things like movement, finishing
Whilst playing out wide means you might focus more on crossing, playing down the line or working with your fullback, tracking opposition fullback etc

Rooney playing out of position imo hurt him individually (other things did too imo but irrelevant here) - but even so he was striker initially for us for about 4-5 years (during his development)
Solskjaer I believe played out wide maybe from 02-03 onwards? Again after he had developed as a striker

Rashford showed potential as a striker but imo wasn't given a fair chance to be one. I do think he's somebody who would be best playing in a two as well (going back to his game vs Chelsea at home last season pretty much paired with lingard)

His goals against Liverpool were more so due to him running off and behind lukaku rather than being out wide.

It's gonna be a lot of what ifs with people like him and martial imo

tjb

Depends
Whilst playing out wide means you might focus more on crossing, playing down the line or working with your fullback, tracking opposition fullback etc

Rooney playing out of position imo hurt him individually (other things did too imo but irrelevant here) - but even so he was striker initially for us for about 4-5 years (during his development)
Solskjaer I believe played out wide maybe from 02-03 onwards? Again after he had developed as a striker

Rashford showed potential as a striker but imo wasn't given a fair chance to be one. I do think he's somebody who would be best playing in a two as well (going back to his game vs Chelsea at home last season pretty much paired with lingard)

His goals against Liverpool were more so due to him running off and behind lukaku rather than being out wide.

It's gonna be a lot of what ifs with people like him and martial imo
Honestly players come and go. We have ebough to replace either rashford or martial without it hurting us. However i would love if we could use a system(not back 3), with a two, like a diamond or the square he used against chelsea. Martial really looks good in there, as does rashford. Even lukaku looks better with a second striker supporting him. Our full backs really hinder us in that regard because they would be required to actually offer us something. If we can get two full backs that can actually play the position, i would like to play one of these systems.

Swift Football

Right now, he is a bench player for us and I see him as a wide forward, not a CF. He wont be proper striker -not for United, not even for midtable club. He lacks that striker instinct, that run on the far post when a cross is played , and he gets nervous on finishing.

The game time we are giving him is adequate and he is improving. Many people claim Rashford will flourish in other style other than Jose's but I dont buy it. Jose has given him good backing and has played him in many games. I think we should keep him in the squad and let him develop bit by bit. Loan is option only if Rashford feels he is a CF and he needs to play as CF. If he is happy at his current role in United, I dont see any problem.

maniwin

Confidence is gone and tries too hard.
He keeps trying to take on player , how is that not a confidence ? His main problem isn't confidence , it's his decision making . He keeps messing with when to pass , when to beat player , when to shoot regularly all the time. You know what makes world class player world class is not their physicallity , it's their footballing brain , know when to use skills , what kind of skills , when to pass , where to pass, when to run and things like that , football is played by brain , their body and feet is nothing but a tools. He was good against Liverpool cause he played with his instinct , but give him seconds to think and he will mess everything.

superdry

touched by a genius
He keeps trying to take on player , how is that not a confidence ? His main problem isn't confidence , it's his decision making . He keeps messing with when to pass , when to beat player , when to shoot regularly all the time. You know what makes world class player world class is not their physicallity , it's their footballing brain , know when to use skills , what kind of skills , when to pass , where to pass, when to run and things like that , football is played by brain , their body and feet is nothing but a tools. He was good against Liverpool cause he played with his instinct , but give him seconds to think and he will mess everything.
Clearly, this grasshopper is not ready to grab the pebble from the master's hand, therefore, not ready to leave the temple.

SATA

He's throwing tantrums already when things aren't going his way. I don't see this from the Class of 92 or even Danny Welbeck. Absolutely shocking when he's wound up

Kostov

He was pretty sensational against Liverpool. He's got the potential for sure. But his decision-making and composure is sorely lacking.
Sensational? Have you watches some of Sane this season? Now that is sensational. And one game out of 40 make him fantastic as a LW? He's has this kind of dreadful games in every positions he has played. He thinks he is better than he really is.

The sooner he realises football is a team game the better, until then the bench is the best place for him.

Dundrummer

This is very true. If it wasn't for his homegrown status, he would just be another Macheda.
Jesus, you people are harsh on our young players. He's already scored six times as many goals for the club as Kiko ever did.

So
Here's a question: who was the last player we loaned out that really developed before returning to us and became a mainstay?
How are you defining mainstay? Lingard plays a huge amount now and he went through the entire half-decade loan jamboree we make the less obviously talented youngsters do. Before that, Evans and Welbeck both had impressive loan seasons in the PL before coming back and becoming first team regulars for several seasons (before LVG came and did his thing.)

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Its not his fault.

He is trying too hard to impress the Manager because the chance is hard to come.

He needs a proper guide cause he is better than this.

Even AOC flourish under Klopp.
Wtf it's not his fault ? He'd impress Mourinho more by showing selflessness and just simply square it to Martial. Trying hard doesn't mean the player has to shut off his brain and do everything on his own. If he really thinks that he is more stupid than I thought.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's just a kid, decision making comes with experience and maturity.

kouroux

He's just a kid, decision making comes with experience and maturity.
A simple pass like that has feck all to do with experience or maturity. He just a blatant selfish moment. Maybe if it was another player (say a player he doesn't feel to be in competition with) he would have passed it to him. From that position, I'd expect any footballer, of any age and any position to make the right call to pass it, whether the execution gets fecked up or not is another thing but this is playground type of situation.

Andersons Dietician

He has 3 seconds to make that pass. Watching that video it seems like an eternity. Even when the chance is gone pass it back to Mata. He had a complete brain fart. Honestly don’t know what he was thinking, no way can he score from there so surely that wasn’t in his mind.

van Nistelrooy

Jesus, you people are harsh on our young players. He's already scored six times as many goals for the club as Kiko ever did.
Rashford's had it all on a plate for 3 seasons. Macheda hardly had a look in. I'm not saying Macheda was a better player at all, but if he was a local lad, he would have been given far more opportunities.

Rashford: 16 goals in 76 PL games = 0.21
Macheda: 4 goals in 19 PL games = 0.21

Considering the amount of games Rashford has played in the Premier League, his strike rate is exactly the same as Macheda's.

Dundrummer

Rashford's had it all on a plate for 3 seasons. Macheda hardly had a look in. I'm not saying Macheda was a better player at all, but if he was a local lad, he would have been given far more opportunities.

Rashford: 16 goals in 76 PL games = 0.21
Macheda: 4 goals in 19 PL games = 0.21

Considering the amount of games Rashford has played in the Premier League, his strike rate is exactly the same as Macheda's.
Macheda played less than 600 minutes in the PL for us, it's a tiny sample size completely skewed by his first two substitute appearances. He also got plenty of opportunities considering his limited talent. And he also always played as a CF, whereas Rashford (like his obvious predecessor Welbeck) is being judged as a centre forward when he plays more often in a different position where goalscoring is much less of a priority.

I've always expected that Rashford would get Welbecked by the club because that's who we are now, but it's very disappointing to see him getting the same treatment from our supposedly loyal fans.

laughtersassassin

Rashford cost us a few games this season with his deciding not to pass 1v1. Brighton and the Leiscter games come to mind. It is not down to being young or bad decision making it is down to being selfish.

He has shown his selfishness time and time again this season IMO.

POF

Rashford cost us a few games this season with his deciding not to pass 1v1. Brighton and the Leiscter games come to mind. It is not down to being young or bad decision making it is down to being selfish.

He has shown his selfishness time and time again this season IMO.
That is the biggest worry with him. He hasn't learned at all. After he lost his place in the team to Martial earlier in the season, there seemed to be a major attitude change in Rashford. It was a disappointing reaction.

lsd

The Oracle
He has 3 seconds to make that pass. Watching that video it seems like an eternity. Even when the chance is gone pass it back to Mata. He had a complete brain fart. Honestly don’t know what he was thinking, no way can he score from there so surely that wasn’t in his mind.

He didn't have a brain freeze you can see clearly he knew what he had to do .

He just refused to do it, thats not a brain freeze thats a player being so selfish he put himself in front of the team

All these people here defending him and making excuses for him need to realise he showed he doesn't care for the club or the fans he cares about himself

What he did is something you see at school not a professional level .

This has nothing to do with confidence or the manager it has nothing to do with not olaying as much as he wants .

This is about one player being so selfish he woukd rather see the team lose than someone else scoring

Laurentiu amt

Don t think he ll have more time under Jose, he s been dire for more than half a season. Jose needs to slap the instagram out of the kid.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Sensational? Have you watches some of Sane this season? Now that is sensational. And one game out of 40 make him fantastic as a LW? He's has this kind of dreadful games in every positions he has played. He thinks he is better than he really is.
Aye. He's had a pretty rough season but I couldn't help but say something positive yesterday given how people were talking about him. I'm certainly not giving up on him like some people.

Andersons Dietician

He was pretty sensational against Liverpool. He's got the potential for sure. But his decision-making and composure is sorely lacking.
He wasn’t really that good against them. He had a few good moments but other than that he was actually pretty poor.

Romez

Dude is just too greedy.

How many times does he take the pot shots from outside the box? How many times does he go right for goal on freekicks no matter the angle? How many times does he refuse to make the obvious pass because he's so one track minded?

Most frustrating player with talent I've seen at the club.

kouroux

Dude is just too greedy.

How many times does he take the pot shots from outside the box? How many times does he go right for goal on freekicks no matter the angle? How many times does he refuse to make the obvious pass because he's so one track minded?

Most frustrating player with talent I've seen at the club.
Worst thing is that it doesn't seem Mourinho is influencing him in terms of being less greedy.
The FK situations you talked about do my head in. There is a fine line between self belief and stupidity and we know on which side Rashford is at the moment

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You telling me he played 31 games from Feb to April? Wiki tells me he got 8 in 18 which seems more accurate

Scored 2 against arsenal
Winner against city
2 on his United debut in europa (which we started the leg behind)
A goal in fa cup quarter final
Scored on his England debut too

But for some reason lvg drafted him wide right against Liverpool in europa league first leg ...

I can't think of many other big clubs that play as many people out of position as us and has as much inconsistency in a starting line up
My apologies, I also counted his youth league appearances.

Rashford got 8 in 18 like you said. Nothing extraordinary. He is effective when teams give him space but very poor when against deep defenses. He is an impact player in big games.

This has always been a problem for Rashford, and until he either develops physically or improves his playmaking he''ll never be a top striker.

AndyJ1985

He hasn't really progressed since his debut. Actually if anything he's regressed.

wythyred

He has really bought into his own hype I feel.

There is a huge difference in attitude with the current Rashford and the one that was playing under LVG.

He clearly thinks he had made it and plays like a selfish brat.

While I really like him and think he has huge potential he needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

I also fear he is getting some poor advice from someone potentially family or agents.

Bwuk

He didn't have a brain freeze you can see clearly he knew what he had to do .

He just refused to do it, thats not a brain freeze thats a player being so selfish he put himself in front of the team

All these people here defending him and making excuses for him need to realise he showed he doesn't care for the club or the fans he cares about himself

What he did is something you see at school not a professional level .

This has nothing to do with confidence or the manager it has nothing to do with not olaying as much as he wants .

This is about one player being so selfish he woukd rather see the team lose than someone else scoring
Wow.

Mr PG

People really need to stop. Look I was disappointed with his decision making as much as the next guy but jeez.

If anybody thinks that’s the reason we lost this game, think again.

Young players make stupid decisions every now and then... deal with it as you’re the same crowd bashing JM for not playing youth. So in two games he’s suddenly gone from exciting prospect to midtable footballer.
A top team like United should never be so reliant on youth players just look at all the top teams in the champions league

Sylar

My apologies, I also counted his youth league appearances.

Rashford got 8 in 18 like you said. Nothing extraordinary. He is effective when teams give him space but very poor when against deep defenses. He is an impact player in big games.

This has always been a problem for Rashford, and until he either develops physically or improves his playmaking he''ll never be a top striker.
No it's not extraordinary, but it's good which is what you said it wasn't
And also shows he showed huge potential as a striker
Which goes back to my initial point, when you have a return of almost 1 in every 2 games, the club needs to help him progress from that

Instead we shifted him out wide cos he's fast, and runs or something.
And on the basis of that probably had him training other aspects like playing out wide etc
So then when he plays up top he doesn't have that same instinct or makes mistakes / is more selfish or similar

We really haven't helped him progress at all which is a shame.

manunited1919

I don't like him coming short to receive the ball, especially when no-one is running beyond their defence.

Poor first half. Much better 2nd half.

No idea what he was thinking when he delayed instead of passing to Martial.

I like the idea of playing Marcus as a central striker but at times it seems as though he doesn't understand that the key to scoring goals, is finding space, centrally, within the box.
He still views Martial as his main competition for a spot on the team, even though it’s now Sanchez that displaced both of them. So when it comes down to it, deep down he doesn’t want Martial to score. Rashford is clearly very talented and hard worker, but being so young, he still doesn’t know how to handle the pressure of having to compete for a place in the team. His gut reaction is to become greedy.

With these young players, we seem to need a the services of a fecking psychologist more than a coach.

He still views Martial as his main competition for a spot on the team, even though it’s now Sanchez that displaced both of them. So when it comes down to it, deep down he doesn’t want Martial to score. Rashford is clearly very talented and hard worker, but being so young, he still doesn’t know how to handle the pressure of having to compete for a place in the team. His gut reaction is to become greedy.

With these young players, we seem to need a the services of a fecking psychologist more than a coach.
This is an awful post - you think Rashford didn’t pass because that would mean Martial would score!!

Young player makes wrong decision - happens to all players. Rashford clearly loves the club, it’s just a shame that they get analysed to death in this day and age.

manunited1919

Depends

We are Manchester United. That should be enough of an answer.

If you want to play as striker for MUFC you need to have already developed: be able to make correct decisions, make runs, be physical, disrupt opposing defenders, hold on to the ball, and, lest we forget, be able to assist (create goals for others), and score. Just because Rashford can do tge last bit doesn’t mean he is ready to lead the line for MUFC or for any other big club in the world.

manunited1919

This is an awful post - you think Rashford didn’t pass because that would mean Martial would score!!

Young player makes wrong decision - happens to all players. Rashford clearly loves the club, it’s just a shame that they get analysed to death in this day and age.
It doesn’t mean he consciously makes the choice. But yes, subconsciously he may not want Martial to score. Remember he lost his first team place to Martial earlier this season. It is not something he may think rationally, but subconsciously it’s there. And that subconscious thought may be enough for him to dither a fraction of a second when he should have made the pass automatically.

I don’t see why it’s an awful post. I also state that Rashford, being young, needs to learn how to handle the feelings of being in this kind of pressure situation. A psychologist should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.