5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

We are Manchester United. That should be enough of an answer.

If you want to play as striker for MUFC you need to have already developed: be able to make correct decisions, make runs, be physical, disrupt opposing defenders, hold on to the ball, and, lest we forget, be able to assist (create goals for others), and score. Just because Rashford can do tge last bit doesn’t mean he is ready to lead the line for MUFC or for any other big club in the world.
Which i get, I'm pretty sure I didn't say he is ready to be leading the line for us
My point is what have United done to help him along and progress so that he might when he's say 25?

manunited1919

Which i get, I'm pretty sure I didn't say he is ready to be leading the line for us
My point is what have United done to help him along and progress so that he might when he's say 25?
Well, Jose has given him plenty of minutes. But ultimately, that may not be enough.

Swift Football

Dude is just too greedy.

How many times does he take the pot shots from outside the box? How many times does he go right for goal on freekicks no matter the angle? How many times does he refuse to make the obvious pass because he's so one track minded?

Most frustrating player with talent I've seen at the club.
The freekicks that he takes from all sorts of weird angles is infuriating. Dont know why Jose/coaches have not made him aware of that, maybe he strikes some sweet goals in practice sessions, if not I dont know what could be the reason behind that.

The one thing that has actually improved since Sanchez came is these indirect set pieces. And even the corners, Rashford use to hit it so hard that most of the time it goes over everyone's head and even if somebody reaches it, its impossible to direct the ball.

flappyjay

He is a winger now. You can't just throw him in as a striker twice a season and expect him to perform. It's the same argument about Sanchez and the right wing.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He is a winger now. You can't just throw him in as a striker twice a season and expect him to perform. It's the same argument about Sanchez and the right wing.
Yeah but what about when he doesnt perform as a winger? Then it's because hes not a winger? FWIW I agree he isnt suited to being a line striker at all. But more than anything it's just a standard young attacker pkaying for Mourinho. Just like weve seen with Martial, my only hope is that Rashford outlasts Mourinho because Martial will certainly leave before, so at least we'll have some promising players left for the next manager.

Canagel

He should be fecking banned from the squad for that till he gets his head screwed on right.
I think a lot of the praise from media and fans has got to his head. He used to be a humble down to earth kid but now he is just selfish and greedy. He needs to become a team player. A season out on loan isn't a bad idea at all.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The freekicks that he takes from all sorts of weird angles is infuriating. Dont know why Jose/coaches have not made him aware of that, maybe he strikes some sweet goals in practice sessions, if not I dont know what could be the reason behind that.

The one thing that has actually improved since Sanchez came is these indirect set pieces. And even the corners, Rashford use to hit it so hard that most of the time it goes over everyone's head and even if somebody reaches it, its impossible to direct the ball.
Amazing isn't it ? I mean regarding the FKs, even if he would be terrific at them during practice, there are angles and distances that make no sense to even attempt shooting from.
Yeah he scored once thanks to a feck up in a CL from an inexperienced keeper but the thing is if he needs to use his brain to differentiate when to shoot and when to put the ball inside the box. I am stunned that nothing has been done to correct it. Practice is one thing but if you are terrible at them during actual matches then something has to change. The whole situation is bizarre.
Even more bizarre than no one in the media or punditd have noticed this greedy streak of him. They all praise him regardless and surely it can only make him more deluded.

kouroux

It doesn’t mean he consciously makes the choice. But yes, subconsciously he may not want Martial to score. Remember he lost his first team place to Martial earlier this season. It is not something he may think rationally, but subconsciously it’s there. And that subconscious thought may be enough for him to dither a fraction of a second when he should have made the pass automatically.

I don’t see why it’s an awful post. I also state that Rashford, being young, needs to learn how to handle the feelings of being in this kind of pressure situation. A psychologist should help.
I kinda agree with you.

lsd

The Oracle
That's not a wow post , if Rashford cared more about the club than himself he would have passed and he didn't.

I could have understood had he got his head down and didn't see Martial or he was in a better position himself but that was not the case .

He saw Martial he knew paying was the only option and shaped to do so then his selfishness took over and he just went na I'm not letting you score

manunited1919

Plenty of minutes
How many up top as the striker ...
If we agree Rashford is not ready to lead the line, why should Jose give him more minutes up top as a striker? We are one of the biggest clubs in the world, not a development vehicle for our academy graduates.

These are the main options to develop a striker:

A. Give him minutes in a different position.
B. Give him minutes up top when the game is already won.
C. Give him minutes in Carling Cup or lesser competitions.
D. Send him out on loan.
E. Play with the reserves.
F. Sit out your main striker to give minutes to the unproven youth player.

Mourinho has mainly used option A. Given Rash’s current development, the ones that make sense are A,B,C, unless you really want him to develop as a striker, in which case D would make sense. Which would you suggest?

Sylar

If we agree Rashford is not ready to lead the line, why should Jose give him more minutes up top as a striker? We are one of the biggest clubs in the world, not a development vehicle for our academy graduates.

These are the main options to develop a striker:

A. Give him minutes in a different position.
B. Give him minutes up top when the game is already won.
C. Give him minutes in Carling Cup or lesser competitions.
D. Send him out on loan.
E. Play with the reserves.
F. Sit out your main striker to give minutes to the unproven youth player.

Mourinho has mainly used option A. Given Rash’s current development, the ones that make sense are A,B,C, unless you really want him to develop as a striker, in which case D would make sense. Which would you suggest?
B and C. Whilst also G, rotating him with Lukaku when we have three games in a week.
Its not a co-incidence that this is the second season in a row where our striker who has pretty much played every game and every minute, is injured late in the season. And now we are left in this situation.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No it's not extraordinary, but it's good which is what you said it wasn't
And also shows he showed huge potential as a striker
Which goes back to my initial point, when you have a return of almost 1 in every 2 games, the club needs to help him progress from that

Instead we shifted him out wide cos he's fast, and runs or something.
And on the basis of that probably had him training other aspects like playing out wide etc
So then when he plays up top he doesn't have that same instinct or makes mistakes / is more selfish or similar

We really haven't helped him progress at all which is a shame.
I said that it is not that good...which seems a fair assessment since it's not even 1 goal every 2 games. And no, I never thought he showed huge potential as a striker. He was just a decent fox in the box striker like Hernandez.

Simply put, there are certain qualities that natural strikers have regardless of age. This is why Wilson was ahead of him but didn't get to play due to injury, Wilson had a far more matured game as a striker. Instinct is not something you lose by not playing, and being selfish has very little to do with game time and is part of the way a player views the game.

Rashford does not have the physical profile for a target man, he does not have the link up play for a false striker. Therefore the team will struggle to get a hold on the game with him up top.

Sylar

I said that it is not that good...which seems a fair assessment since it's not even 1 goal every 2 games. And no, I never thought he showed huge potential as a striker. He was just a decent fox in the box striker like Hernandez.
His goal against City, and his FA Cup goal against West ham made you think he was a fox in a box striker? hmmm...
8 in 18 is almost 1 in 2 (and as noted, at least one of those games was on right wing (liverpool away in Europa on top of my head).
You are really saying that is not good for an 18 year old debuting half way through a season? Well guess youre one of few who was not excited by his game and output.

manunited1919

B and C. Whilst also G, rotating him with Lukaku when we have three games in a week.
Its not a co-incidence that this is the second season in a row where our striker who has pretty much played every game and every minute, is injured late in the season. And now we are left in this situation.
He is not even ready for G, judging from his performance yesterday.

Born2Lose

He's basically this season's Lingard, picked on because he doesn't have a fancy name and is English.

Hawks2008

He's basically this season's Lingard, picked on because he doesn't have a fancy name and is English.
I never understood this logic. If his name was Marcos Rashfordinho and was signed for 30 million from the Brazilian league he would never get anywhere near the leeway he does from fans being a local boy and academy product.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's "getting picked on" because he's been shite nearly every time he's played and his poor decision making and selfish plays have cost us goals and sometimes points. This is a dreadful post, Rashford gets more leeway than anyone on this site bar Martial, in fact I'd go so far as to say that being English is his saving grace at the moment as the press aren't picking up on his awful performances.

Jeffthered

This is a tremendous young talent, brought into a tepid, poorly performing attacking unit (alongside Martial) and he reminded us all about what United is all about. I love the guy, he makes us play differently, and usually, better.

Of course, in this crazy world where every flaming facet of a players performance and life is scrutinised, to ridiculous levels, people are very quick to criticise him, and I think this is a wider recognition of how the 'industry' of football is affecting players. Media provokes fans, who are quick to absolutely slaughter the young man. Why? He had a poor game against Brighton, but wasn't he the youngest player on our team? the least experienced? and who gets shredded by the manager after the game? They were ALL dreadful, simple.

I think his treatment by Mourinho has been utterly disgraceful. His performance against Liverpool showcased his, potentially, devastating talent.. and what happened? he was subbed (whilst on a hat-trick which would have been pretty iconic...), and then dropped for the next game.

Marcus Rashford is a terrific talent. Can you imagine him under a manager that actually wants to bring the best out of him, rather than a manager keep him 'walking on eggshells' trying to prove himself. Dreadful man-management, and only the club will lose out.

Jeffthered

He's "getting picked on" because he's been shite nearly every time he's played and his poor decision making and selfish plays have cost us goals and sometimes points. This is a dreadful post, Rashford gets more leeway than anyone on this site bar Martial, in fact I'd go so far as to say that being English is his saving grace at the moment as the press aren't picking up on his awful performances.
This is the type of comment that infuriates me. You honestly, after consideration, honestly, are saying that Marcus Rashford has been shite 'every time he's played......'

Are you seriously, I mean seriously saying that. You mean that? You know football, and you are prepared to substantiate and support that statement?

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
He's 20.

Twenty

Two Zero

What the feck are people so stressed about. Young players have ups and downs. Currently, he's overplaying, probably because every English Journo or Pundit, and the majority of fans are over-hyping him and claiming he's being damaged by United and Mourinho.

He plays more minutes in the prem than the mass majority of 20 year old's, and he's being handled by world class coaches along side a good team and a great manager.

Chill the feck out, let the lad play and learn.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is the type of comment that infuriates me. You honestly, after consideration, honestly, are saying that Marcus Rashford has been shite 'every time he's played......'

Are you seriously, I mean seriously saying that. You mean that? You know football, and you are prepared to substantiate and support that statement?
No, hence why I said nearly, you misquoted me intentionally by leaving out the nearly part. The definition of nearly is: very close to or almost. By leaving out that you change the entire point of my quote. I didn't say he's been bad every time he's played, but he nearly has been.

Rashford started off the season fairly well rotating with Martial and was contributing and adding to the team, his performances then began to have a noticeable decline, so much so that he lost his spot in the team to Martial. Once he'd lost his spot in the team there was a clear selfishness to his game and about the way he played, he very clearly was playing for himself rather than the team. There were a number of instances where he chose himself over the team (Leicester being a pretty key one as they went up the other end and equalised), coupling that with one dimensional dribbling, lack of meaningful movement, often poor crossing and poor decision making. These attributes made up for some very poor performances.

He's been receiving criticism for his passing for a very long time but he used to rectify his performances with intelligent runs and the like, he lacks the technical skills of Martial or Sanchez and used to make up for it by being fairly unpredictable in the way he played. However, as the season wore on he's become one note. If he can't outpace the defender then he is going to be almost a non-entity for the entire game, often when he's on the pitch he'll try and take every free kick or corner, he's very poor at set pieces and often highlights his lack of contributions to the team. What most players would do in his situation (whether he's lacking confidence or whatever) is to keep it simple, he hasn't been trying to keep it simple at all. He over complicates things for whatever reason and it's reflecting very badly on the pitch.

Since October, Rashford has 3 league goals and 2 assists in 23 games, either coming off the bench or starting. Whatever way you want to look at it, he's had a very poor return. Unlike Martial when he got benched at the start of the season he came on with a point to prove. Quite a number of Rashford's introductions this season off the bench have been uninspiring (mainly when he's introduced on the left), he doesn't try anything new and never really offers anything different (the notable exceptions being when he played on the right and replaced Mata and actually attempts to stretch the play).

So yeah, I do think Rashford's been very poor this season. He's had some very good games, no doubt, but those rare quality games don't erase a mediocre season for me.

Andersons Dietician

Was watching a highlight reel of him under LVG and it’s incredible how much he has dropped off from then. His intelligence in movement in the box was actually really good back then. I remember one game LVG pulled him and gave him stick because he kept wondering out of position and leaving the box. I think he then introduced him against City, he followed instruction and you could visibly see that he had taken what was said on board.

Now he just looks lost, he is probably feeling the pressure of needing to be perfect and realises he isn’t going to get the leeway to learn and make mistakes so in his fight to be perfect it’s just causing him to overthink and panic. Often think football is at its best and easiest when you don’t have to think it just happens.

T A

I never blame Rashford for being selfish, after all that's Jose's management made him like this. How could Rashford and Martial love each other when they were supposed to fight to the death with any goal from one means the next match bench for the other throughout this whole season?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I never blame Rashford for being selfish, after all that's Jose's management made him like this. How could Rashford and Martial love each other when they were supposed to fight to the death with any goal from one means the next match bench for the other throughout this whole season?
I knock Jose as much as anyone but in no way can he be blamed for Rashford's lack of use of his brain.

ghagua

Love Rashford, but someone needs to bring him down a peg or two. He was so refreshing to watch when he came into the team, but now all he is after is chasing glory for himself. Prefect example was the last game against Brighton when he picked up the ball on the right after the defenders mistake, but instead of passing to Martial to hit it home, he tried to do that himself from an impossible angle and "attempted" to pass the ball when he knew he could not do it. Have seen this way too many times to think it is down to inexperience. Strikers have to be greedy, but not at the expense of the team.

kouroux

Who said that ? Scoring goals isn't the only way to satisfy Mourinho

el3mel

It's like rivalry between the players for position has only happened under Mourinho at United between the two.
If Martial was in his place he would have passed it normally without any fuss. It's Rashford's problem only.

Andersons Dietician

Who said that ? Scoring goals isn't the only way to satisfy Mourinho
:rolleyes: What are you suggesting here Kouroux? That they drop to their knees and um satisfy him :eek:

On a serious not you’re right tho, workrate, creating spaces, opertunities, defending lots of ways to influence a game other than just scoring or assisting.

kouroux

:rolleyes: What are you suggesting here Kouroux? That they drop to their knees and um satisfy him :eek:

On a serious not you’re right tho, workrate, creating spaces, opertunities, defending lots of ways to influence a game other than just scoring or assisting.
I knew when I posted it I should have carefully chosen my words

Acole9

Outstanding
He was like Walcott vs Brighton, all speed, no end product. He should've been taken off.

Minimalist

He's young and needs coaching. He's got bag fulls of potential and has shown it.

He's not a winger.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Didn't he used to move in the youth teams? Hopefully he works out what's gone wrong soon.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, he wasn't the only problem we had in last game after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.