Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Foreign media rate English players for the last match. Rashford's performance being rated highly.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Missed a big chance but there wasn't a lot on for him last night beyond that. I wouldn't worry about a young player missing a chance at the World Cup.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Martial and Rashford should have played over 4500 minutes each this season? What are you smoking and why do you want us to be battling with Chelsea and Arsenal for Europa League places?
You can also read my post again and realize how idiotic your tone is.

Robbie Boy

That's because he is shit. It's bizzare you'd decide Welbeck (did you see his 'attempt' last night?) would be a better selection. Frankly, he shouldn't even be in the squad.
Shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad and I can see him being phased out after the WC. It’s hard to believe some still rate him and will cling onto anything with him.

manunited1919

Missed a big chance but there wasn't a lot on for him last night beyond that. I wouldn't worry about a young player missing a chance at the World Cup.
He misses way too many of these one on ones. He needs to be ruthless.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He misses way too many of these one on ones. He needs to be ruthless.
I haven't seen any stats to back up whether or not he fails to put away one on one chances more often than other strikers his age, but it will come with time and with patience.

VJ1762

This guy sucks at 1 on 1 situations. I don't ever think he is going to be a top striker for club and country. On watching the highlights, I got flashbacks of the leicester game where he and lingard messed up easy chances to put the game to bed. Makes me appreciate guys like RVN and Kane even more. You either have the composure or you don't and unfortunately,he doesn't have any. I just hope he becomes a good squad player in the future who can perform at the clutch if called upon . Stop comparing him to the likes of dembele, sane,mbappe,martial. These guys are on another level entirely. But I do believe he is better than the likes of welbeck,iwobi etc.

PS: atleast he hit the freekick just over the bar instead of blasting it into orbit.

manunited1919

This guy sucks at 1 on 1 situations. I don't ever think he is going to be a top striker for club and country. On watching the highlights, I got flashbacks of the leicester game where he and lingard messed up easy chances to put the game to bed. Makes me appreciate guys like RVN and Kane even more. You either have the composure or you don't and unfortunately,he doesn't have any. I just hope he becomes a good squad player in the future who can perform at the clutch if called upon . Stop comparing him to the likes of dembele, sane,mbappe,martial. These guys are on another level entirely. But I do believe he is better than the likes of welbeck,iwobi etc.

PS: atleast he hit the freekick just over the bar instead of blasting it into orbit.
Yes, he seems to struggle with 1 on 1 situations. It seems he is more effective in other kinds of chances where he doesn’t have much time to think and he just hits the ball, like the goal against Liverpool. He may be overthinking those 1 vs 1.

I hope you are wrong regarding composure, isn’t that something he can learn from good coaches / other players / and experience? You might be right, as I don’t remember young Cristiano ever missing 1 vs 1.

OL29

Yes, he seems to struggle with 1 on 1 situations. It seems he is more effective in other kinds of chances where he doesn’t have much time to think and he just hits the ball, like the goal against Liverpool. He may be overthinking those 1 vs 1.

I hope you are wrong regarding composure, isn’t that something he can learn from good coaches / other players / and experience? You might be right, as I don’t remember young Cristiano ever missing 1 vs 1.
Young Ronaldo (and Rooney for that matter) missed plenty of 1 on 1s, it's definitely something that can improve with coaching and experience.

Rednotdead

Young Ronaldo (and Rooney for that matter) missed plenty of 1 on 1s, it's definitely something that can improve with coaching and experience.
I agree, however I'm not sure he justifies a place in the full England squad at present. Sterling's form for England has been poor - 2 goals in 40 games now - but Rashford can't make his case for displacing him. That should really tell him the level he's currently at and how much improvement is required. Perhaps his rise through the ranks was too accelerated, due to the impact he made on his introduction to the Utd first team.

OL29

I agree, however I'm not sure he justifies a place in the full England squad at present. Sterling's form for England has been poor - 2 goals in 40 games now - but Rashford can't make his case for displacing him. That should really tell him the level he's currently at and how much improvement is required. Perhaps his rise through the ranks was too accelerated, due to the impact he made on his introduction to the Utd first team.
This is a really good point, he's still only 20 but because he broke through so early people expect him to be a complete player already. In reality, he's still got a lot of development to go through as you'd expect of a player his age.

spiriticon

I really like him as a player but he's just not very clinical for a striker.

Don't really know what his best position is.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think he's suffering from the FM generation assuming his 'progression' will move him from a promising 18 year old to world class 21 year old if you play him enough.

If you think about genuinely 'world class' strikers, they've almost all showed more at 20 than Rashford has, in terms of goal scoring anyway. I mean the very top level, your Ronaldos x2, Rooney, Messi etc. Hell, even 'late-bloomer' RVN was 21 and 22 he scored 31 in 34 and then 29 in the Eredevisie.

When you look at our first choice strikers over a pretty long time, it's basically: RVN/Rooney/Saha/RVP/Ibra/Lukaku. Do we honestly think Rashford can reach that level? If not, should we still want him as a first choice player?

Grande

I think he's suffering from the FM generation assuming his 'progression' will move him from a promising 18 year old to world class 21 year old if you play him enough.

If you think about genuinely 'world class' strikers, they've almost all showed more at 20 than Rashford has, in terms of goal scoring anyway. I mean the very top level, your Ronaldos x2, Rooney, Messi etc. Hell, even 'late-bloomer' RVN was 21 and 22 he scored 31 in 34 and then 29 in the Eredevisie.

When you look at our first choice strikers over a pretty long time, it's basically: RVN/Rooney/Saha/RVP/Ibra/Lukaku. Do we honestly think Rashford can reach that level? If not, should we still want him as a first choice player?
I certainly think he can. If he will? He doesn’t need to, even. If Southgate, Guardiola and Mourinho is picking from the lower branches when they persist with Sterling and Rashford? I don’t really think so.

NinjaFletch

There's been some staggeringly bad takes posted in here over the past few days but I think accusing the 'FM generation' of being overly patient is one of the most bizarre.

acnumber9

If you think about genuinely 'world class' strikers, they've almost all showed more at 20 than Rashford has, in terms of goal scoring anyway.
When you look at our first choice strikers over a pretty long time, it's basically: RVN/Rooney/Saha/RVP/Ibra/Lukaku.
Saha at 20 had a total of 13 goals to his name and was about to flop on loan at Newcastle before having to move to a Championship club. Ibrahimovic had 13 goals to his name in Sweden and Van Persie has scored 16 in Holland. None of them had played for their country.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

- RvN at 22 had 13 goals in 31 games for Heerenveen in Eredivise that season.
- Harry Kane at 21 had 3 goals in 10 games in the previous season for Spurs, and was struggeling getting games - for Spurs!
- Thierry Henry was considered a flop at Juve at the age of 22 and was sold to Arsenal. By the time he had 160 games and 31 goals in Ligue 1 and Serie A. (Rashford will be 21 later this year and has 32 goals in 123 apperances for Man Utd in the PL.)
- Alan Shearer at the age of 22 had finished the -92 season with 13 goals in 41 games. In total he had 43 in 158 apperances.
- Didier Drogba played in Ligue 2 by the age of 24 and never looked special.

This was correct as of febuary this year;

According to Transfermarkt Marcus Rashford has played 3486 minutes as a centre forward for Manchester United at senior level, and provided 19 goals and 7 assists. One goal every 183 minute. Considering that he dont take penalties, I would claim that this is a decent return. Zlatan Ibrahimovic played 3847 minutes last season and had 28 goals (3 penalties) and 10 assists. That is one goal every 154 min excluding penalties. But that is Zlatan!

- He has not had a consistent run as a centre forward,
- He has been 18 to 20 year during this time period (and he was late Developer physically),
- Man Utd has been quite poor during his spell,

Compare it to what Harry Kane did for Leyton Orient, Leicester or similiar. In fact, compare it to Ruud van Nistelrooy, Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Luiz Suarez at the same age and it is a fantastic record. Im not sure why so many expect so much. Is it because of the exceptions like Mbappe, Ronaldo and Rooney?

RedStarUnited

- RvN at 22 had 13 goals in 31 games for Heerenveen in Eredivise that season.
- Harry Kane at 21 had 3 goals in 10 games in the previous season for Spurs, and was struggeling getting games - for Spurs!
- Thierry Henry was considered a flop at Juve at the age of 22 and was sold to Arsenal. By the time he had 160 games and 31 goals in Ligue 1 and Serie A. (Rashford will be 21 later this year and has 32 goals in 123 apperances for Man Utd in the PL.)
- Alan Shearer at the age of 22 had finished the -92 season with 13 goals in 41 games. In total he had 43 in 158 apperances.
- Didier Drogba played in Ligue 2 by the age of 24 and never looked special.

This was correct as of febuary this year;

According to Transfermarkt Marcus Rashford has played 3486 minutes as a centre forward for Manchester United at senior level, and provided 19 goals and 7 assists. One goal every 183 minute. Considering that he dont take penalties, I would claim that this is a decent return. Zlatan Ibrahimovic played 3847 minutes last season and had 28 goals (3 penalties) and 10 assists. That is one goal every 154 min excluding penalties. But that is Zlatan!

- He has not had a consistent run as a centre forward,
- He has been 18 to 20 year during this time period (and he was late Developer physically),
- Man Utd has been quite poor during his spell,

Compare it to what Harry Kane did for Leyton Orient, Leicester or similiar. In fact, compare it to Ruud van Nistelrooy, Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Luiz Suarez at the same age and it is a fantastic record. Im not sure why so many expect so much. Is it because of the exceptions like Mbappe, Ronaldo and Rooney?
In short, Yes. Pundits generally speak of Rashford to be at the same talent level as Mbappe.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In short, Yes. Pundits generally speak of Rashford to be at the same talent level as Mbappe.
Just because some pundits speak about him and compares him with the best talent in the world doesn't mean fans should keep their unrealistic expectations. For a 20 year he had good season and there are improvements in his game. That's what we should be considering and important.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At 20,
Lewandowski scored 14 goals in 30 games in Polish league
Suarez moved to Ajax and scored 17 goals in Dutch league
Higuan scored 8 league goals in 25 games for Madrid, before that 2 in 19 league games
Icardi scored 9 goals in 22 games in Serie A
Kane scored 3 goals in 10 games
Eto'o scored 11 goals in 28 games
Ibrahimovic scored 6 goals in 24 games. First time he scored more than 20 league goals was when he was 27
Cavani scored 5 goals in 33 for Palermo
Diego Costa was loaned out to second division where he scored 10 goals in 35 games. Scored more than 20 league goals when he was 25
Falcao scored 3 goals in 20 games for River plate
David Villa scored 18 goals in Spanish second division

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
[QUOTE="roonster09, post: At 20,
Lewandowski scored 14 goals in 30 games in Polish league
Suarez moved to Ajax and scored 17 goals in Dutch league
Higuan scored 8 league goals in 25 games for Madrid, before that 2 in 19 league games
Icardi scored 9 goals in 22 games in Serie A
Kane scored 3 goals in 10 games
Eto'o scored 11 goals in 28 games
Ibrahimovic scored 6 goals in 24 games. First time he scored more than 20 league goals was when he was 27
Cavani scored 5 goals in 33 for Palermo
Diego Costa was loaned out to second division where he scored 10 goals in 35 games. Scored more than 20 league goals when he was 25
Falcao scored 3 goals in 20 games for River plate
David Villa scored 18 goals in Spanish second division[/QUOTE]
Listen plenty of people have faith in him and that's great. But for the type of striker I think he is - explosive, unpredictable and pacey - I'm not sure the very top players of that ilk improve dramatically the way those in your list do.

Will he convert into a 'right place right time with technique to match ' striker? Let's hope so.

He's the most exciting young player at our club, he's local and he's doing well. I'm just trying to say it's not a done deal that reaches the levels of those you've listed. And that strikers of his style have been very good at 20.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I was convinced he'd miss, what a pen

Put him on them next season if that's his standard

sport2793

Just relieved that Rashford scored his penalty as a United supporter. Really good technique, would be nice to see him on spot kick duty next year.

justboy68

That was a hell of a penalty. I could barely watch when he was taking the long run up and stutter step. Well done Marcus!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Like most here, I was relieved he buried the pen for himself; not only England.

King Eric 7

Was worried about what a miss would do for his confidence. Then he scores a cracker! Onwards and upwards...

Status
Not open for further replies.