5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRover

I expect what i do from a manutd player. It doesnt matter if you are 16 or 60, if you put those colours on you need to do your job. He couldnt keep wide, he couldnt score, he couldnt dribble. But hey he is young so lets play him and hope he becomes better. Martial at similar age is much better technically and is showing in past two games he can finish his chances. I think people get too involved in youth and forget they support the club and not youth products.
Rashford would not start for top 10 in the premier league if he was playing elsewhere.
Talk about his pace and control has experienced players backing off yet his contribution is minimal, experience players back off cause thats what you do and let him make the decision which he more often than not fecks up. Its like theo walcott and waiting for him to realize his potential all over again.
He misses far more chances than any top team striker should and is keeping a better player on the bench.
You're entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more.

I assume you think he'll never be good enough based on your assessment of his performance yesterday and therefore assume you think he needs to be moved on?

RedRover

His game has clearly improved over the last six months which is great. Control of the ball, variety, physically, all going in the right direction. Decision making is usually the last piece of the jigsaw with young players.
Indeed. Ronaldo is living proof that even the absolute best need time to develop that.

Dante

Average bang
99% of players wouldn't have got that chance. Martial and Zlatan included. The movement, the intelligence, the touch, the pace... all of that was special.

So many people in this thread who don't fully understand football. Rashford deserves more credit than criticism for that miss. Seriously. He won't get it from most Caftards, unfortunately.

RedRover

? I didn't see the game yesterday but by all accounts Swansea was pushing and we were on the ropes a bit looking like it might be another one of those 2016/17 draws just before Martial came on?
Their change in formation was the biggest factor for me. Gave a lot more space to work in.

Litch

His game has clearly improved over the last six months which is great. Control of the ball, variety, physically, all going in the right direction. Decision making is usually the last piece of the jigsaw with young players.
Decision making...Yep in pretty much every young player in every position. It's a bit like driving, only comes with the more you do it.

MadMike

99% of players wouldn't have got that chance. Martial and Zlatan included. The movement, the intelligence, the touch, the pace... all of that was special
Easy now. It was a bad back pass straight at his feet. What movement, intelligence and touch are you talking about? His raw pace helped turn it into a 1-on-1 where his composure let him down. That's the start and end of it.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I respect your explenations but 1-0 up to the last ten minutes in an away fixture and alot saying scoreline flattered us. "came on when the game was already almost won" is a bit of a stretch I'd say. Last season one such random desperate attacks you speak of in the final minutes from our opposition would go in and then the game changes. No guarantuees at that point.
We were in control even when 1-0 up. De Gea barely had to make a save. The floodgates opened when Swansea changed their game from containing United to actually trying to score.

RedRover

I don't agree with either of these statements. Winning 0-1 away from home, the game is not won. It was won after Martial and Fellaini came on and Swansea made their own changes.

And also there was really no outlet in the first half. Our best chances were from set pieces (the goal and Jones hitting the post) and the chance Rashford got was because of a bad back pass from a Swansea defender, it wasn't created by movement or skill. So I don't see him somehow as the best outlet of that half. If anything I liked Mkhi's movement more, though I thought no one really stood out.
The change in Swansea's formation in going to 4 rather than 5 at the back was, again in my opinion, the major factor. Did Martial do well when he came on? Yes, as he did against West Ham. Did he change a game? Not for me. I'm not having a go at him, simply pointing that out for balance. He does deserve, and will get a chance and clearly has huge potential.

You're entitled to your opinion. I think he was willing and in a tight first half he was our biggest threat, even if a lot of what he tried didn't come off.

Dante

Average bang
Easy now. It was a bad back pass straight at his feet. What movement, intelligence and touch are you talking about? His raw pace helped turn it into a 1-on-1 where his composure let him down. That's the start and end of it.
It wasn't just pace. He spotted the pass and had the foresight to intercept.

If he'd held position and never forced the shot, he'd be getting less criticism. That's where facile, superficial analysis comes into it.

MyOnlySolskjaer

First things first, it doesnt matter to me that martial dint start, if he did shit i would call him shit too. Like he was last season. I dont think there was much difference .
He created 19 chances in 32 league games last season martial while playing less minutes and games created 24 (25 appearances) and has started the season better. You just listed his few good games and i dont even think you can or should count teams like Anderlecht or even celta vigo considering the chances we missed in them. He doesnt create shit from nothing, its what you have filled your head with. What did he do after that skill? Nothing. if you want to see skills rather than end product we are in a different game.

Now to the Bolded part, that is the biggest problem with some united fans. "hey look he is english and from the academy so lets give him a free ride". Its bullshit. Fergie said if you are good enough you are old enough, not if you are young and english welcome to the starting eleven. Clearly rashford isnt good enough now. He is at best a bench player for us and shouldnt make the squad like andreas perreira doesnt. It is just the fact we lack a second attacker as if perisic or anyone else had come in rashford would be on the bench. We are not lucky to have him, he is lucky enough to play for us week in week out despite not being good enough yet. He is lucky that his manager is giving him so many chances without return, same goes for lingard and shaw .
This Man utd, being english shouldnt be a criteria for someone to play for us. The only reason we delayed wayne's departure was because of his englishness, I was happy when welbeck left some were distraught cause he was english and decent at best. I think 16 million for him were robbery by us.
Rashford is on a similar career path unless he improves, i think jose is not sentimental and will put him to the bench if he gets his signing.
Nobody else in our squad would have anticipated that chance in the first place is what my point is; he read it, intercepted it, had the perfect touch and pace to run another 30 yards forward but let himself down with that finish. He essentially created that chance on his own through his desire. The finishing is something he's going to have to work on and with his mentality, I'm sure he will.

You're the one that's critiquing his technique for being "average" and you're ridiculing my post for showing his skills by saying skills isn't enough? I'm not a fan of Shaw because I don't think he has the mentality to succeed here, I think Rashford does. You are way too caught up in this English agenda.

He was our biggest threat yesterday and had a good game and I really don't understand all the criticism he's getting.

Last edited:

Litch

I'm not insecure about anything I just don't understand why fans are so keen to jump online and lay into a young player after a game like today. He was willing, worked hard and for most of the first half was the only player - among a lot of other more experienced, who looked like he'd make something happen.

Being critical of a player's performance is fine. You might think a young player should be held to the same standard as others in the side and long term, that of course has to be the case since if they're going to be regulars they have to be good enough to meet that standard. I personally think Rashford offers a lot and has shown it time and again - but he's young, raw and needs a chance to develop.
Haters have to Hate. The forum always needs an argument and Rashford v Martial is the latest. If you wait long enough it will move on.....to the Felliani, Lingard, Young thread when they start again.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
A lot of the poor decision making could just be down to a striker being played as winger. His defensive contribution goes really unnoticed on the left wing, which is probably the only thing keeping Martial away from the starting spot right now.

MyOnlySolskjaer

99% of players wouldn't have got that chance. Martial and Zlatan included. The movement, the intelligence, the touch, the pace... all of that was special.

So many people in this thread who don't fully understand football. Rashford deserves more credit than criticism for that miss. Seriously. He won't get it from most Caftards, unfortunately.
Agreed.

MadMike

A lot of the poor decision making could just be down to a striker being played as winger. His defensive contribution goes really unnoticed on the left wing, which is probably the only thing keeping Martial away from the starting spot right now.
Maybe, I personally am not too fussed if he puts his head down a bit more often than he should. I actually think decision making is not as bad as some people make out. For me it's his composure in front of goal that the biggest issue, which shouldn't be a problem for a striker playing on the wing.

He works hard all game and I love him for it, but when a chance falls his way I don't feel confident he'll bury it. Whereas with Lukaku and Martial there is a calmness in front of goal. You just feel they'll pick a spot and put the ball there and that's it.

Andersons Dietician

Rashford great talent but still needs a lot of development. Think he actually needs brought down back to earth and a little break out of the lime light. Yesterday was a weird one. I'd probably say that really he was the worst united player on the pitch. He showed some outstanding flashes of skill and ability but he then wasted that bit of brilliance by not passing, choosing the wrong run and so on.
He really does play with his head down which is really disappointing. Compare that to when Martial came on who was happy to pass and move and had his head up. Rashford needs to get more of that in his game, realise it's a team game and it's not all about him.

Great talent and prospect, but still needs a lot of work.

Andersons Dietician

99% of players wouldn't have gotten that chance? what chance are you guys talking about?

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Nobody else in our squad would have anticipated that chance in the first place is what my point is; he read it, intercepted it, had the perfect touch and pace to run another 30 yards forward but let himself down with that finish. He essentially created that chance on his own through his desire. The finishing is something he's going to have to work on and with his mentality, I'm sure he will.

You're the one that's critiquing his technique for being "average" and you're ridiculing my post for showing his skills by saying skills isn't enough? I'm not a fan of Shaw because I don't think he has the mentality to succeed here, I think Rashford does. You are way too caught up in this English agenda.

He was pretty good yesterday and I really don't understand all the criticism he's getting.
Hehe...30 yards, try maybe 18.

It's a long ball being knocked up towards Lukaku, Rashford gambles that Lukaku is going to win the header and flick it onwards in his path. In the end it's a Swansea player who tries to head it back without knowing whats behind him. It's a classic move, hardly football reinvented.

In a team with a strong target man up front, every trainer will tell his players to gamble that headers will be won and flicked onwards.

alibaba

Somewhere on earth but I can't figure where I am

Agreed. His movement with and without the ball is great...like mourhino said dun worry if u dun score...the goals will come

MyOnlySolskjaer

It's a long ball being knocked up towards Lukaku, Rashford gambles that Lukaku is going to win the header and flick it onwards in his path. In the end it's a Swansea player who tries to head it back without knowing whats behind him. It's a classic move, hardly football reinvented.

In a team with a strong target man up front, every trainer will tell his players to gamble that headers will be won and flicked onwards.
Just seen it again. :lol:

Seemed like a longer run when I first watched it.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Gotta love the caf, I criticised him yesterday but some of the comments here are way over the top, he'll be the top striker in the world again next time he scores.

Same with martial, last year he was written off by many, lots changing their tune after 2 good cameos.

I saw the stat that Rash played more games than any other player last year which i was surprised at.

Gbenger

@Dante I'm calling you out directly on this.

It's nonsense that Martial wouldn't have made that run. He would've made the run and most likely scored that goal.

Look at this goal from 1.25

Last edited:

Gbenger

Exactly. Martial's movement isn't exactly exceptional but now it's become very underrated.

Again, I'm calling bullshit on the myth that Rashford has better or diverse range of finishing. I have enough facts and videos to prove my point.

At this point people would invent anything to give Rashford some credit over Martial. Local lad and all that.

devips

It's pure bad luck for Rashford that Lingard didn't play. Martial lovers then maybe would've a handier target to practise on!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Martial scored from intercepting a backpass early on his United. Rashford missing that chance is nothing to praise.

Anyway I'm happy with Rashfords start. Even if he's a bit wasteful he's looking bright and dangerous and better than he did during a lot of last season. But Martial should be starting even though there's enough games to rotate between them.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Exactly. Martial's movement isn't exactly exceptional but now it's become very underrated.

Again, I'm calling bullshit on the myth that Rashford has better or diverse range of finishing. I have enough facts and videos to prove my point.

At this point people would invent anything to give Rashford some credit over Martial. Local lad and all that.
Has Martial scored one long range goal so far? It's almost always right inside foot in the far corner, mostly in the box. Scored two excellent headers in his first few months. I think Rashford has a better long range shooting on him, maybe scored from the right side of the field more often. But Martial is generally the better finisher.

Last edited:

AshRK

I have been really impressed with rashford this season. If only he could take his chances he would have already scored 4 goals to his name. If he starts banging then trust me we are much closer to winning the title. He is far from average and just need more.maturity to his game.

Gbenger

Has Martial scored one long range goal so far? It's almost always right inside foot in the far corner, mostly in the box. Scored two excellent headers in his first few months. I think Rashford has a better long range shooting on him, maybe scored from the right side of the field more often. But Martial is generally the better finisher.
No, Martial hasn't. Let's assume that long range goals are considered goals from outside the box.

As far as I know Rashford has only scored one so far and it came from a free kick not so far from the box. Martial hasn't been afforded the role of taking free kicks or even a lot of things.

A single goal from a free kick is definitely not enough to declare Rashford has a better range of finishing compared to Martial especially when the latter hasn't been afforded such opportunity or should I say Martial is definitely a better penalty taker than Rashford because he has taken and scored more penalties than him?

No. I'm not that shortsighted.

Here's a video of all Rashford's goals for United.

Here's a video of all Martial's goals for us.

Watch both videos and compare.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Needs to spend all of his spare time staying behind at training and practicing his finishing. He actually seems to have regressed when it comes to finishing. He has an awkward style of striking the ball and seems to panic in 1 on 1 situations. The kid has so much potential and is already brilliant in so many ways but he needs to get his shooting boots on ASAP.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Rashford is a real thorn in the side of our opponents. Got stuck in yesterday, and his pace was a fantastic outlet for us down the left. Little bit greedy for me though yesterday, kept the ball too long at times and often ran into trouble as a result.

But can we really expect much more from such a young player still learning his trade, and being employed in a variety of roles? Of course, there is room for improvement, but i doubt there are many young strikers about with such intelligence and versatility, and the fact Jose starts him so often proves he is consistent enough to be dependable. Great talent, and only going to get better.

Sammyjunn

No, Martial hasn't. Let's assume that long range goals are considered goals from outside the box.

As far as I know Rashford has only scored one so far and it came from a free kick not so far from the box. Martial hasn't been afforded the role of taking free kicks or even a lot of things.

A single goal from a free kick is definitely not enough to declare Rashford has a better range of finishing compared to Martial especially when the latter hasn't been afforded such opportunity or should I say Martial is definitely a better penalty taker than Rashford because he has taken and scored more penalties than him?

No. I'm not that shortsighted.

Here's a video of all Rashford's goals for United.

Here's a video of all Martial's goals for us.

Watch both videos and compare.
Sorry Im on holidays so cant watch the video due to internet costs.

But dont you think there is a reason why Rashford is on free kick duty now? He has better long range shooting/kicks than Martial I think and has been more dangerous wirh it generally too. Its why I wouldnt like Martial to play as a striker anymore, coming inside and striking the ball is his strength.

BigCaine

Sorry Im on holidays so cant watch the video due to internet costs.

But dont you think there is a reason why Rashford is on free kick duty now? He has better long range shooting/kicks than Martial I think and has been more dangerous wirh it generally too. Its why I wouldnt like Martial to play as a striker anymore, coming inside and striking the ball is his strength.
I think it has more to do with rashford being better at crosses and his ability to deliver flat quick crosses. Also how many freekicks has rashford taken this season yet?

Sammyjunn

I think it has more to do with rashford being better at crosses and his ability to deliver flat quick crosses. Also how many freekicks has rashford taken this season yet?
Mourinho said that Rashford was working on his free kicks in training last season and its paying dividend. He can strike the ball quite well, I think last season in the EL against Celta or ASSE he also nearly scored a ridiculous long shot. Martial can curl the ball very brilliantly though in the far corner. But he'll have to make sure he can develop it like Robben, in a few years time everyone will know his trick.

mattunited1978

doommonger
He played yesterday like he had a fiver on 'united win,rashford to score'

He was frustrating and his decision making was poor, but most of his bad decisions came because he was backing himself,i can live with that. I like that he backs himself even if it produces the odd display like that (id of took him off at half time). One of the most infuriating things these last few years for me has been the timid,safety first play of some of our players. He'l learn from games like yesterday. I think he's going to be a star.

I personally think he's more effective on the right than the left.

BigCaine

Mourinho said that Rashford was working on his free kicks in training last season and its paying dividend. He can strike the ball quite well, I think last season in the EL against Celta or ASSE he also nearly scored a ridiculous long shot. Martial can curl the ball very brilliantly though in the far corner. But he'll have to make sure he can develop it like Robben, in a few years time everyone will know his trick.
Sorry don't recall that shot will check later, but his in general long shots don't really seem great. The freekick in EL was decent but nothing spectacular if they had a decent keeper he would not have scored that one.

TehRed

Liked I said against West Ham, he was dangerous but didn't have his shooting boots on. He needs to start putting away some of the chances he's doing well to create for himself. His pace is causing all sorts of problems for defenders, he's dribbling well, getting into the right positions, linking well with other players, just not finishing off the chances he's creating. Could easily have had two or three league goals to his name already this season if not for the quality of his finishing not matching the quality of his build-up play.

fellaini's barber

He's a regular starter for Manchester United, in his third season as a first team player at the club. That's the standard he's being judged at and rightfully so.

The whole obsession we have with insisting that it's being anti-youth unless we pretend home-grown players never have a bad game until they're 28 is bonkers. Players are allowed dips in form, underwhelming performances. It's natural. Rashford is too good to be put in the Jesse Lingard game where we have to insist he was "brilliant" every game, else we fear that we're not as big a fan as the next guy.

Genuinely don't get why some people are so relentlessly insecure about noticing when a player we've produced has a poor game.
Couldn't have put this better my myself, any criticism of any english academy players you get people questioning your support. I remember the Danny Welbeck days where a myth was made up about how all great strikers were shit at 21 too whenever Danny was criticised for months till people began to do some research and busted it. It's funny to see , especially when you're not english and can't really see what the fuss is about at all with the said players. I like Rashford a lot and hope he stays here for a long time, but I don't see all the world class talent and glowing attributes people talk about him on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.