Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Comparisons with Welbeck are actually fecking stupid. Welbeck had 29 goals in 142 matches whilst playing the majority of his career under one of the world's best managers in history. Rashford already has played under two different managers and yet is only 10 goals behind Welbeck inspite of playing half the matches.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You're entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more.

I assume you think he'll never be good enough based on your assessment of his performance yesterday and therefore assume you think he needs to be moved on?
There's no point in even arguing with him in this case. He thinks Rashford is a championship level talent.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Is it basically between Rashford and Martial for a place at the moment? If so, Martial is making a compelling case to be promoted.

Or could they both play, with Rashford on the right? Or are they "too similar" and we need a more varied threat on the right in Mata?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
First things first, it doesnt matter to me that martial dint start, if he did shit i would call him shit too. Like he was last season. I dont think there was much difference .
He created 19 chances in 32 league games last season martial while playing less minutes and games created 24 (25 appearances) and has started the season better. You just listed his few good games and i dont even think you can or should count teams like Anderlecht or even celta vigo considering the chances we missed in them. He doesnt create shit from nothing, its what you have filled your head with. What did he do after that skill? Nothing. if you want to see skills rather than end product we are in a different game.

Now to the Bolded part, that is the biggest problem with some united fans. "hey look he is english and from the academy so lets give him a free ride". Its bullshit. Fergie said if you are good enough you are old enough, not if you are young and english welcome to the starting eleven. Clearly rashford isnt good enough now. He is at best a bench player for us and shouldnt make the squad like andreas perreira doesnt. It is just the fact we lack a second attacker as if perisic or anyone else had come in rashford would be on the bench. We are not lucky to have him, he is lucky enough to play for us week in week out despite not being good enough yet. He is lucky that his manager is giving him so many chances without return, same goes for lingard and shaw .
This Man utd, being english shouldnt be a criteria for someone to play for us. The only reason we delayed wayne's departure was because of his englishness, I was happy when welbeck left some were distraught cause he was english and decent at best. I think 16 million for him were robbery by us.
Rashford is on a similar career path unless he improves, i think jose is not sentimental and will put him to the bench if he gets his signing.
Thierry Henry described him the other week as "unplayable". Mourinho, not known for giving young players much of a chance, raves about the lad. This, and of course the abundance of evidence from my own eyes, lead me to conclude that your opinions, about possibly everything, are totally worthless. I advise that you cease commentating about anything, for the rest of eternity. That is all.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
99% of players wouldn't have got that chance. Martial and Zlatan included. The movement, the intelligence, the touch, the pace... all of that was special.

So many people in this thread who don't fully understand football. Rashford deserves more credit than criticism for that miss. Seriously. He won't get it from most Caftards, unfortunately.
It wasn't just pace. He spotted the pass and had the foresight to intercept.

If he'd held position and never forced the shot, he'd be getting less criticism. That's where facile, superficial analysis comes into it.
Nobody else in our squad would have anticipated that chance in the first place is what my point is; he read it, intercepted it, had the perfect touch and pace to run another 30 yards forward but let himself down with that finish. He essentially created that chance on his own through his desire. The finishing is something he's going to have to work on and with his mentality, I'm sure he will.

You're the one that's critiquing his technique for being "average" and you're ridiculing my post for showing his skills by saying skills isn't enough? I'm not a fan of Shaw because I don't think he has the mentality to succeed here, I think Rashford does. You are way too caught up in this English agenda.

He was our biggest threat yesterday and had a good game and I really don't understand all the criticism he's getting.
The replies after are absolutely hilarious and spot on... "hardly football reinvented :lol: ". He did well to go for it, but missed a chance, again.

99% of players wouldn't have gotten that chance? what chance are you guys talking about?
Hehe...30 yards, try maybe 18.

It's a long ball being knocked up towards Lukaku, Rashford gambles that Lukaku is going to win the header and flick it onwards in his path. In the end it's a Swansea player who tries to head it back without knowing whats behind him. It's a classic move, hardly football reinvented.

In a team with a strong target man up front, every trainer will tell his players to gamble that headers will be won and flicked onwards.
He didn't spot the pass, he gambled that Lukaku would win the header.
@Dante I'm calling you out directly on this.

It's nonsense that Martial wouldn't have made that run. He would've made the run and most likely scored that goal.

Look at this goal from 1.25

Martial scored from intercepting a backpass early on his United. Rashford missing that chance is nothing to praise.

Anyway I'm happy with Rashfords start. Even if he's a bit wasteful he's looking bright and dangerous and better than he did during a lot of last season. But Martial should be starting even though there's enough games to rotate between them.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Rashford does a lot of things right, sometimes you feel like he does the difficult things better than the simple things. His finishing and composure is horrible right now though

BULB

This place is so fickle.
Had he not hit the post vs West Ham and not made a meal of that chance last game everyone would be raving about him.

Rashford is my favourite player.
12 months ago Jose would have been more than happy to get rid of him, now he is first choice with a fit squad.
Considering he only got a few mins here and there last season until all the injuries kicked in his growth has been phenomenal.
I love that he lost his way a bit last week, he's not playing cautiously, Jose has obviously given him license to attack attack attack.
Mark my words he will be a top 10 PL player one day.
If he keeps improving the way he is and is given 40 starts this year, we are going to have one hell of a player on our hands.
Just sit back and enjoy the ups and downs.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Needs to go back to basics and not try and do everything himself. At one point he demanded the ball in our own half and lost it about 5 yards up the field. You're not Ronaldo lad.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This place is so fickle.
Had he not hit the post vs West Ham and not made a meal of that chance last game everyone would be raving about him.

Rashford is my favourite player.
12 months ago Jose would have been more than happy to get rid of him, now he is first choice with a fit squad.
Considering he only got a few mins here and there last season until all the injuries kicked in his growth has been phenomenal.
I love that he lost his way a bit last week, he's not playing cautiously, Jose has obviously given him license to attack attack attack.
Mark my words he will be a top 10 PL player one day.
If he keeps improving the way he is and is given 40 starts this year, we are going to have one hell of a player on our hands.
Just sit back and enjoy the ups and downs.
Agreed with everything in this post. Think once he gets his first goal of the season out the way he'll be a lot more confident in front of goal.

Lowkey

I don't think he is ready to be a regular starter. Should be an impact sub instead of Martial.

Beaucoup

Keeping hold of the ball too long and overplaying at the moment, however he is exciting to watch and exactly the sort of player I pay to see play every week. A large percentage of the Caf would like to see us dump big money for Ousmane Dembele but as far as i'm concerned Rashford is just as good.

Dobbs

Needs to go back to basics and not try and do everything himself. At one point he demanded the ball in our own half and lost it about 5 yards up the field. You're not Ronaldo lad.
The irony being that's exactly what Ronaldo was upto at 19.

I think Rashford is a couple of finishes away from having a brilliant start to the season.

Nick7

He had a very good game against Swansea, was always an option and did mostly well with the ball. He's a much better finisher than he's given credit for here. Ended last season like a house on fire and is continuing his performances now. Just needs a goal to settle himself down.
anticipating another amazing nuanced argument of "no he's not a good finisher"

ManuMou

Honestly no one has the monopoly on knowledge and the forums all about opinions but that said, some of the rubbish on here about Rash is stupidity at best. It reminds me of the crap comments about Giggs 'no end product' and 'one trick pony' Ronaldo. Honestly there is not a team in the world who wouldn't want this 19 year old lad. Anyone forgot the goal that put us in final last year? The free kick anyone? Goals against city and Chelsea.....hitting the post last week out of nothing? Scoring on his debut at every level? People's memories are short and let's enjoy the fact he's here and he is still developing. He needs to be more cynical but even if he's not a 30 goal a season player, his pace and power will always put teams on the back foot creating space for others. The players take the piss out of him cause they say how ridiculous his ceiling is, and at 24/25 I fully expect the Barca and Real vultures to start circling as the Bales, CR and Messi's will not be around forever.....
This. Totally agree.

I thought he did good at both games. Yes he certainly has his flaws, especially the end product. But

1. He is 19
2. Versatility. He is not playing at his best position. He can also play as RW.
3. His "constantly attacking the space with pace" is underappreciated. This is one of the main reasons that it opens up space for our other attackers, changing the dynamics of the game, which we were lacking last season. I am not trying to compare him to Martial here, it's just that this is a different attacking style which benefits the system in a different way. Also, Martial's outperformance needs to be judged in the context of Swansea finally started attacking us.
4. His work rate, including in defense
5. Right attitude

Individually, Martial outperformed Rashford. But we play as a team, in a system, and also depends on how the opponent set up their team/tactic. Both bring something different to the team. This factor is always "ignored" by the people here.

Our counter attacking football has improved (thanks to our clinical finishing). The superb "5 min counter attack when Swansea finally started attacking" aside, I thought we still struggled to break up their defense when they were parking the bus. This aspect of the game is, I would say while it has improved slightly, it is still our weakness, based on 2 games and pre-season.

In a grand scheme of thing, it is hard to say whether our result would have been better had Martial started ahead of Rashford. Those "Martial's fans" who think that Martial should definitely start ahead of Rashford based on the these 2 games and pre-season, shouldn't judge it based on individual performance.

Personally, I would like to start both of them. If I were to choose one, I am really not sure. It's 50-50, that they both deserve to start. May be that's why I am not a manager.

SteveW

Yes he's not as good as Martial. Who cares? They are both good young players with bags of talent. Can we not just discuss them in isolation without feeling the need to slate one or the other? Martial being a brilliant player isn't Rashfords fault. Rashford is developing well and working hard. That's good enough for me

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
He had a very good game against Swansea, was always an option and did mostly well with the ball. He's a much better finisher than he's given credit for here. Ended last season like a house on fire and is continuing his performances now. Just needs a goal to settle himself down.
anticipating another amazing nuanced argument of "no he's not a good finisher"
Really? His finishing is woeful at the moment and was the same for the majority of last season. He actually looked like a good finisher when he first burst onto the scene but other than that his finishing has been poor so i'm not sure whats happened.

Nice white next, you got me :). The fact remains, currently he's not a good finisher.

Dante

Average bang
The replies after are absolutely hilarious and spot on... "hardly football reinvented :lol: ". He did well to go for it, but missed a chance, again.
:lol: No, he didn't. The only thing that matters is the goal. Typical overrater.

FujiVice

He's usually terrifying off the bench. Nobody wants to go against someone like Rashford with 10 minutes left. Would be good to see Martial in there, but I've no doubt he'll grow as the games go on.

Brightonian

Couple of inches difference against West Ham and he'd have scored our best goal of the season so far and talk of him being a 'bad finisher' would be laughable.

Goalscoring is fickle. What matters is that he's been a key attacking threat for us in both games so far. In the first half against Swansea he was the only player providing any penetration. He most certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped, even to get Martial in. Better to push him to the right and let Mata, who has looked good but not really contributed in any meaningful way, drop to the bench for a game.

Son Of Sam

I don't think he is ready to be a regular starter. Should be an impact sub instead of Martial.
Football fans can be very fickle. Rashford was the only genuine threat we had especially in the first half against Swansea. He was the only one trying to have any sort of impact. Martial should be grateful to Rashford for wearing out the Swansea defenders.....before Martial came on. Yeah, Rashford missed a great chance in the first half but we tend to forget the lad is only 19. By the time Martial came on to score in the game, Swansea not only left gaps behind them, they were already knackered.

Rashford should start every single league game....He's awesome!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
So let's me get this straight, people in this thread go to length on these tengants about Rashford being young, should be afforded patience, his finishing will come good and all that yet are quick to vouch for him to be a starter in front of better players.

You simply can't have it that way. If people want to see him become a starter and stay that way than he'll be judged as one and shortcomings such as not being clinical nor composed in front of goals and bad decision making should rightly be called and he'd rightly be blamed for those.

If we want to go the patience route, afford him leeway and basically treating him like a kid that need time and would grow in the future than he shouldn't be seen nor used as a starter, especially ahead of better players. It's that simple.

So people should just make up their mind. Either be intent with giving him all the leeway in the world, turn a blind eye to his constant missing of sitters WHILE accepting he isn't a starter material nor he's ready yet which is why he's less scrutinised and given more leeway OR vouch for him to be a starter and judge him on the same standard a United starting player should. Simply can't have it both ways.

Poor decision making and constant missing of sitters are big deals at the top level especially for a huge club. We can't just keep sugarcoating them as him being young or did something right to get there while he's failing at the most important things.

This is why he had poor return last season despite being afforded all the time and patience in the world by the manager. His decision making and end products were poor back then and he simply HAS to improve on them. Can't just keep saying he's young, this and that while he's being given the privilege of being a starter.

Obiorahking_

Comparisons with Welbeck are actually fecking stupid. Welbeck had 29 goals in 142 matches whilst playing the majority of his career under one of the world's best managers in history. Rashford already has played under two different managers and yet is only 10 goals behind Welbeck inspite of playing half the matches.
Good post. I must say that Welbeck should be ashamed of himself.

BULB

So let's me get this straight, people in this thread go to length on these tengants about Rashford being young, should be afforded patience, his finishing will come good and all that yet are quick to vouch for him to be a starter in front of better players.
A starter in front of which better players?
Are you talking about Martial?
Why is he a better player? Because he scored a couple of goals in junk time?

Dobbs

You simply can't have it that way. If people want to see him become a starter and stay that way than he'll be judged as one and shortcomings such as not being clinical nor composed in front of goals and bad decision making should rightly be called and he'd rightly be blamed for those.

If we want to go the patience route, afford him leeway and basically treating him like a kid that need time and would grow in the future than he shouldn't be seen nor used as a starter, especially ahead of better players. It's that simple.

So people should just make up their mind. Either be intent with giving him all the leeway in the world, turn a blind eye to his constant missing of sitters WHILE accepting he isn't a starter material nor he's ready yet which is why he's less scrutinised and given more leeway OR vouch for him to be a starter and judge him on the same standard a United starting player should. Simply can't have it both ways.

Poor decision making and constant missing of sitters are big deals at the top level especially for a huge club. We can't just keep sugarcoating them as him being young or did something right to get there while he's failing at the most important things.

This is why he had poor return last season despite being afforded all the time and patience in the world by the manager. His decision making and end products were poor back then and he simply HAS to improve on them. Can't just keep saying he's young, this and that while he's being given the privilege of being a starter.
I think this overcomplicates it a bit. It doesn't have to be an either/or decision. Yeah he's young and inconsistent but he can still be a starter for us.

All it comes down to is who's giving us more on the pitch. Age doesn't matter. Looking at it that way it's hard to argue Mata for example should be starting ahead of him.

Everybody wants a front three of Martial, Lukaku and Rashford. Hopefully we see it soon.

Craig Ward

With Lukaku and Rashford, we have a good combination of off the ball running, and lots of pace, creating space.

Despite no goals, its clearly evident that Rashford has caused mayhem in both games. This is something we need up top. Martial having 2 impact appearances is putting pressure on Rashford's place, and he is in for a shout for a starting spot. Be interesting to see what Jose does as both are in fine form.

Love to see both of them start, Mata could drop to bench, Rashford could fill on the right, martial on left and with both they're movement and pace, alongside Lukaku could be awesome. Miki would also love these 3 runners creating options for him.

All the negative comments regarding Rashford need a reality check. We have an absolute gem of a player on our hands, who is only going to get better. His finishing will improve, his decision making will improve. He's doing everything right and you can tell his mentality is spot on. I'd rather him in the team than not right now

Dobbs

Goals change perceptions massively. If the West Ham post effort goes in and he takes the Swansea chance we're raving about his start. It's fickle but that's football debate for you.

MiceOnMeth

Goals change perceptions massively. If the West Ham post effort goes in and he takes the Swansea chance we're raving about his start. It's fickle but that's football debate for you.
Came here to post that. He done well to get into those goal scoring positions, only a matter of time before he starts rattling them in.

podurban2

The guy will become world class I'm sure of it. It's honestly sad to see some being happy to bash the lad at any given opportunity. Rashford has the physique, intelligence, and mentality to become an absolute gem of a player and he will be a first XI player here for years to come, no doubt about it. Right now he is low on confidence regarding his finishing, which is nothing unusual for a 19yo, he'll adapt, and he will turn out perfectly fine. Within two months he will begin to smash them in again, in PL as well as CL, mark my words.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I think this overcomplicates it a bit. It doesn't have to be an either/or decision. Yeah he's young and inconsistent but he can still be a starter for us.

All it comes down to is who's giving us more on the pitch. Age doesn't matter. Looking at it that way it's hard to argue Mata for example should be starting ahead of him.

Everybody wants a front three of Martial, Lukaku and Rashford. Hopefully we see it soon.
I disagree. You can't have both, being inconsistent and a starter, not at a top club. If he's gonna be a starter he should be judged and expected to deliver as a starter in a top team should.

I for one I'm all for patience and leeway as he's quite young, but I also don't expect him to be a starter. When a player at a top team has a knock of missing easy chances and poor decision making, it draws criticism to fair and rightly so. And upon failing to deliver they get replaced by better players.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The guy will become world class I'm sure of it. It's honestly sad to see some being happy to bash the lad at any given opportunity. Rashford has the physique, intelligence, and mentality to become an absolute gem of a player and he will be a first XI player here for years to come, no doubt about it. Right now he is low on confidence regarding his finishing, which is nothing unusual for a 19yo, he'll adapt, and he will turn out perfectly fine. Within two months he will begin to smash them in again, in PL as well as CL, mark my words.
Yeah i agree and i don't see what peoples problems are.
He isn't playing as a striker and 3 competitive games without scoring is not really much of a drought.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
So far I haven't seen much that would suggest he becomes world class but he's only 19 so anything can happen. Do think he has it in him to be a regular starter for a club like ours. Still early days. There's a lot he has to prove.

Shuriken

Absolutely fine to play with both Rashford and Martial, depending on the fixture and situation.

But why do we insist on putting Rashford on the left if he's to play on the wing? Put him on the right instead. Apart from making it easier for him to put in crosses, he can finish equally well from the right.

Or to put it in another way: is he such a good crosser or finisher from the left that it leaves us with no choice but to play him there?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Absolutely fine to play with both Rashford and Martial, depending on the fixture and situation.

But why do we insist on putting Rashford on the left if he's to play on the wing? Put him on the right instead. Apart from making it easier for him to put in crosses, he can finish equally well from the right.

Or to put it in another way: is he such a good crosser or finisher from the left that it leaves us with no choice but to play him there?
It's down to the fullbacks imo.

Dobbs

I disagree. You can't have both, being inconsistent and a starter, not at a top club. If he's gonna be a starter he should be judged and expected to deliver as a starter in a top team should.

I for one I'm all for patience and leeway as he's quite young, but I also don't expect him to be a starter. When a player at a top team has a knock of missing easy chances and poor decision making, it draws criticism to fair and rightly so. And upon failing to deliver they get replaced by better players.
I'd agree if there were other consistent, top performers ready to take his spot. Neither Mkhitaryan, Mata or Martial have produced the goods on a regular basis in their United careers to date. I like all of them but they simply haven't.

Principles such as only the top, consistent players should get a starting spot are great but sometimes you've got to deal with the players you have. Our front four as a whole can be inconsistent, it's the big question mark hanging over our season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Play him right wing. This 'competition' with Martial is stupid, in that, both are our two best wide options, and we have two wings - so I don't get why hey have to fight it out for one spot.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Play him right wing. This 'competition' with Martial is stupid, in that, both are our two best wide options, and we have two wings - so I don't get why hey have to fight it out for one spot.
IMO it's about the fullbacks and the balance, I dont have another explanation. On the left, we dont really have a FB who will provide width and pressure like Valencia, so Jose plays a player like Mata there. On the left, we need such a pacey winger... It might change once Shaw is fit

AP88

Supports
Man City
I remember watching a Portugal youth game circa 2002/03 and the star of the team was Quaresma; he was a level above everyone else on the pitch, and looked destined to be a superstar. The only notable thing about young Cristiano was that he shared a name with 'the' Ronaldo.

Rashford might be inferior to Martial in terms of pure technical excellence at this point, but don't interpret that as AM pre-destined to have a better career; Henry, Ronaldo and Bale levels are certainly attainable for Rashford, while Martial could very easily end up as a Balotelli-type if he doesn't sort his attitude out.

Ronaldo and Bale benefitted greatly from filling out in their early 20s, and I'm anticipating something similar from Rashford; if he keeps developing his tactical awareness and technical mastery in the meantime, he'll be ready to absolutely explode one he does.

haram

Perhaps Jose wants something different from the player on the right wing seeing as we have Valencia on that side as well.

Womp

idiot
Got some huge praise from Ronaldo - saying he's one of the people who could overtake him as the best in the world from the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.