5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1

This was my fear putting Rashford on the right just so Martial can play on the left, people crucify him more!

How's about put Rashford on the left and Martial on the right and see how that goes? People will know how that will go though (not so well). One things for sure Rashford is much more effective on the left than Martial, just as he's much more effective on the right than Martial.

So instead of trying to shoehorn half-arsed Martial into the side, who lets face it was absolutely terrible against Brighton and far more ineffective than Rashford, let's just play to our strengths until Martial actually shows a bit more passion and more deserving of a place.

Recent interview with Martial admitted he was not focused last season:-

====
“I had some problems off the pitch [last season] that played in my head. I wasn’t really focused,
====

This is still the case.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This was my fear putting Rashford on the right just so Martial can play on the left, people crucify him more!

How's about put Rashford on the left and Martial on the right and see how that goes? People will know how that will go though (not so well). One things for sure Rashford is much more effective on the left than Martial, just as he's much more effective on the right than Martial.

So instead of trying to shoehorn half-arsed Martial into the side, who lets face it was absolutely terrible against Brighton and far more ineffective than Rashford, let's just play to our strengths until Martial actually shows a bit more passion and more deserving of a place.

====
“I had some problems off the pitch [last season] that played in my head. I wasn’t really focused,
====

This is still the case.
How is he more effective if martial has more goals and assists in less playing time?

Also who gives a feck what people say. Professionals should only worry about how they play and if they play well, they won't be criticized. It's not like rashford hasn't gone through periods of shit form playing on the left or up top anyway.

YetAnotherCityFan

Supports
Manchester City
I think it's a tough one. It's possible that people expect too much of him due to the enormous amount of hype placed on his shoulders in the early days of his senior career. At the same time I'm almost certain he could be world-class under Pep. Right now I think he's miles better than Iwobi but not as good as Sterling.

stepic

He'd have more chance of being their CF than Lukaku that's for sure. ST season rashford could definitely compete with with Jesus for the ST spot; whether he would take it or not is a different story.
no chance. Aguero and Jesus are both far better strikers right now. He would be a distant third choice.

stepic

====
====

This is still the case.
Half assed Martial is still better than Rashford. I'd prefer to stick with Martial for now on the left. He could one day become a superstar. Rashford will only ever be a good to great player at best.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He wouldn't get in their team so unlikely.
I don't know about that. He seems a bigger talent tham Sterling and the later has developed himself into a pretty good poacher with his movements. Rashford strength also lies in his movements.

Charles Miller

The problem for players coming from the academy is that when they get some minutes its almost like if the club was doing a favor to them.
Lets say if Rashford was French or Brazilian or Argentinian and Man United signed him.
He would arrive with a individual status, will get a chance to play until prove that hes not United level.
In the case of players from the youth system apparently its the contrary.

In the last Monaco x PSG Mbappe missed 04 absurd chances basicaly 1x1 with the keeper, but nobody is questioning him as a starter because hes expensive and came with a status.

Young players need to play all the time(the good ones)or they will not improve, they will keep showing the same level.
And we should not put them under a so severe scrutiny, paying attention at each minimum technical detail, or they will be scared to try and start playing safe.

TRA007

====
====

This is still the case.
Wow, you really dont like Martial do you? Or you like Rashford a bit too much ?

Number1

Half assed Martial is still better than Rashford. I'd prefer to stick with Martial for now on the left. He could one day become a superstar. Rashford will only ever be a good to great player at best.
He's not though is he? As for Martial becoming a superstar, i don't see any indication this is going to happen, Martial to me seems to be a player missing that 'something' mentally, there have been many players like this before him just as there will be many after, who show flashes they could become a superstar, but fail! He doesn't seem to have that drive to move on to the next level, hope I'm wrong about that, but as said something seems to be missing and with that i can't even see him being a United player in the next 2 years.

Can this 'lack of drive' to improve be said for Rashford? He's a guy who gives everything even when he's not having the best of games and at only 20 there will be many times he won't have the best of games, for me Rashford's ceiling is like Gareth Bale, hopefully minus the injuries.

Number1

Wow, you really dont like Martial do you? Or you like Rashford a bit too much ?
I see talent in him, but he's a bit overrated, so no I'm not really a fan to be fair.

No one will be more pleased than me though if I'm wrong and he does go onto develop into a superstar on the world stage, that 'superstar' is something United needs and something we've been lacking since Ronaldo left, but i can't see it being him.

wr8_utd

:'(
Needs to stay on the bench at the weekend but he'll probably come in for his "hard work"

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Thought he looked bone idle and uninterested when he came on. How some still rate him over Martial, I’ll never know.

Bwuk

Jose went ballistic at him near the end then.

Was a really half arsed performance when he came on.

Very disappointing.
Agreed. Didn't look interested.

Must be frustrating for a striker to watch Lukaku be so poor and yet he's benched and forced wide. Not that that's the correct attitude to have though.

Greck

Exaggerations aplenty. Should have had an assist if Lukaku didn't overthink. Did well to win the ball before that.

At least we get a break from that infamous Rashford superfan/anti-Martial poster till weekend

el3mel

Good effort in creating Lukaku's sitter, but did nothing else. He didn't get the ball often to be fair to him.

Sgeorge

Rashford should be played as a striker, I don't think he will become a good wide player. Martial has better skills that suits wing play. IMO Rashford better than Martial as a striker and Martial better than Rashford as a wide player.

With Lukaku and Zlatan in the squad, it will be difficult for Rashford to play as a striker. May be next season if Zlatan is not around he might get the chance. If not I predict Kane will be sold to Real Madrid and Rash goes to Spurs and become the next Kane :)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Rashford should be played as a striker, I don't think he will become a good wide player. Martial has better skills that suits wing play. IMO Rashford better than Martial as a striker and Martial better than Rashford as a wide player.

With Lukaku and Zlatan in the squad, it will be difficult for Rashford to play as a striker. May be next season if Zlatan is not around he might get the chance. If not I predict Kane will be sold to Real Madrid and Rash goes to Spurs and become the next Kane :)
Rashford however hasn't been able to replicate the kind of finishing we saw when he burst onto the scene. So can we really say he's better as a striker?

haram

Exaggerations aplenty. Should have had an assist if Lukaku didn't overthink. Did well to win the ball before that.

At least we get a break from that infamous Rashford superfan/anti-Martial poster till weekend
I have debated with you before, so I assume you are talking about me?

I think Martial is very talented. I think Rashford is better on the left than Martial. I have also said I want to see Martial in a team with 3 at the back. I had no objections to him playing today. I actually said I liked the team when it was announced and said nothing about Rashford not playing.

People keep having digs at me like I hate Martial. It's an opinion different to yours, that's it. I just get into heavy debate about it because it's different to a lot of people. I got stick for saying we should not have Rashford on the right (before it happened) as well. I'd rather Mata on the right than Rashford.

Im about the team, not individuals.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
People shouldn't be harsh on players when making these sub appearances, it's always hard to get into a game, especially an intense one.

And people also need to stop with the cliché "look uninterested" criticism they love throwing around. Opinions swings from extremes to extremes on these boards. It wasn't long ago he was the second coming with unstoppable workrate, now people are quick to accuse him on being uninterested.

What's simply happening here is that Rashford has had a couple of average games which isn't the end of the world but given that criticising him over the top has started to become a bit common lately, people want to start a trend, to make it a thing, so everytime he doesn't have a great game people can throw their "uninterested" cliché.

Sgeorge

Rashford however hasn't been able to replicate the kind of finishing we saw when he burst onto the scene. So can we really say he's better as a striker?
True, he needs to improve his finishing. But he has got a good shot on him. And I think his movement is much better than Martial when he has played in that ST role. Martial hasn't convinced me as a ST.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Find it hard to believe he will ever be better than Martial.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
And I'm honestly glad he isn't running around full throttle all the time, shows that he's grown a brain and doesn't need to always look busy while unnecessarily exhausting himself.

Play smart and burn the gas when needed, no need to be a headless chicken who becomes known for his workrate only.

haram

And I'm honestly glad he isn't running around full throttle all the time, shows that he's grown a brain and doesn't need to always look busy while unnecessarily exhausting himself.

Play smart and burn the gas when needed, no need to be a headless chicken who becomes known for his workrate only.
Plus, I am pretty sure the whole team was asked to conserve some energy with the games coming up anyway.

Rossa

Has he looked a little heavy legged these last couple of games? It’s been a while since I saw him just leave someone trailing. Also, if we are going by expressions, how come Martial looks all giddy and Rashford looks gloomy as feck?

yfoFC

People shouldn't be harsh on players when making these sub appearances, it's always hard to get into a game, especially an intense one.

And people also need to stop with the cliché "look uninterested" criticism they love throwing around. Opinions swings from extremes to extremes on these boards. It wasn't long ago he was the second coming with unstoppable workrate, now people are quick to accuse him on being uninterested.

What's simply happening here is that Rashford has had a couple of average games which isn't the end of the world but given that criticising him over the top has started to become a bit common lately, people want to start a trend, to make it a thing, so everytime he doesn't have a great game people can throw their "uninterested" cliché.
Not really a cliche if jose is tearing him a new one for most likely that reason

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He needs a proper rest but we’ve got too many out of form attacking players and injuries for it.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Not really a cliche if jose is tearing him a new one for most likely that reason
I think it's a cliché because it has become some sort of default criticism people grasp to lately.

Sure he might have been teared by Jose for not tracking back or this and that but that doesn't mean it's because he's uninterested.

I think performances should be seen objectively as are criticisms that occur from time. Though what people do on these boards is lazily define everything into a box and start throwing cliché which has always bothered me about some posters.

It happens a lot with different players. You'd hear "Pogba is careless", "Martial is lazy", etc as the go to criticism some love throwing around even though most of the time those aren't the cases. Their performances might warrant criticisms but people accuse them for the wrong things just because they've become cliché.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Should've had an assist but lukaku made a mess of the chance. But it's nothing too worry about, he's a off form and it happens but he'll be fine. Go to the bench for a bit and he'll have his sub appearances.

Though I don't think he should start ahead of Martial at left wing or up top regardless, and he also has lukaku to compete with up top. Maybe in a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2 on the right and switching with martial on the left, or as the 10 (or putting martial as the 10 and having rashford top). Martial is who our attack should be built around though and Mourinho needs to find a long term role that Rashford can grow into, playing alongside Martial.

Great post.

That the Zlatan performances thread is actually busy after a 6 minute cameo tell you all you need to know :wenger:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Like Martial, he needs the ball at his feet to showcase his ability. We didn't do that much and unsurprisingly he did nothing of note. However, he still should have had an assist.

kundalini

I'm a bit confused as to why he came on. It didn't look like a straight replacement for Martial as Rashford was playing very deep left-wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.