5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Jose could have pulled a muscle the way he launched out of his seat to yell at Rashford, it's a shame that Martial and Rashford are only being pitted against each other and Lukaku can't be challenged for the #9 spot.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Jose could have pulled a muscle the way he launched out of his seat to yell at Rashford, it's a shame that Martial and Rashford are only being pitted against each other and Lukaku can't be challenged for the #9 spot.
He has Zlatan

Bojan11

Rashford isn’t good enough to be the number 9 anyway at the moment. People moan about Lukaku cant hold the ball up. Rashford cannot also.

manutddjw

Didn’t Jose say before the game he was carrying a knock? Makes sense because it’s not like him to not go all out during a game.

Charles Miller

Very few wc prospects are really consistent. Majority do not have a middle term, they look great one day and bellow average in the other.
Its not big deal imo. If hes good he will develop.

Devil may care

Rashford isn’t good enough to be the number 9 anyway at the moment. People moan about Lukaku cant hold the ball up. Rashford cannot also.
They definitely have the same issues with hold-up play but I think his movement is better and maybe his finishing will hit a hot streak if given a few games, or maybe Martial plays as the striker and Rashford on the LW, I just think the competition should be between the 3 rather than just the 2.

Dobbs

Find it hard to believe he will ever be better than Martial.
Well stop trying to believe it then.

Folk genuinely agonising over who'll be the better player. As if there's some kind of value in doing so.

ChaddyP

martial is pretty good at it (just stating facts, i prefer lukaku being the number 9)

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
They definitely have the same issues with hold-up play but I think his movement is better and maybe his finishing will hit a hot streak if given a few games, or maybe Martial plays as the striker and Rashford on the LW, I just think the competition should be between the 3 rather than just the 2.
I agree with this. I'd like to see Martial and Lukaku competing for the CF spot if Martial won't always be on the left wing and have Rashford slot in on the days Martial is up front. I'd also like to see Rashford get comfortable on the right wing. @haram might claim it's a waste of his talent, but the (arguably) most talented and expensive teenager is doing just that at PSG and is having an impact, I think Rashford can grow comfortable with more time playing on the right.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree with this. I'd like to see Martial and Lukaku competing for the CF spot if Martial won't always be on the left wing and have Rashford slot in on the days Martial is up front. I'd also like to see Rashford get comfortable on the right wing. @haram might claim it's a waste of his talent, but the (arguably) most talented and expensive teenager is doing just that at PSG and is having an impact, I think Rashford can grow comfortable with more time playing on the right.
Rashford can certainly play on the right in my opinion. At the very worst, he’ll be the best of a bad bunch there. I don’t see why a couple of games as some sort of 10 has provided conclusive evidence about him as a 7 though.

I can appreciate the argument about needing a bit more control at times though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Why is it a shame?

Seems to be working perfectly so far: textbook example on how young players should be developed and integrated into becoming top 1st XI players. Likewise, Mourinho explained last match about the imbalance that happens when both play.

End result is one or the other almost always has a dramatic impact on the game. Much better than the countless ineffective games they had last season.

Devil may care

Why is it a shame?

Seems to be working perfectly so far: textbook example on how young players should be developed and integrated into becoming top 1st XI players. Likewise, Mourinho explained last match about the imbalance that happens when both play.

End result is one or the other almost always has a dramatic impact on the game. Much better than the countless ineffective games they had last season.
The key word in my post was "only" I think they should be challenging Lukaku for the #9 role as well, all 3 in competition, not only Rashford vs Martial for the LW spot.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The key word in my post was "only" I think they should be challenging Lukaku for the #9 role as well, all 3 in competition, not only Rashford vs Martial for the LW spot.
My apologies, I never read properly.

You make a good point, Lukaku would benefit from being dropped and last night was a good opportunity .

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why is it a shame?

Tbf I would like to see us try to develop Rashford into a long term position. Martial and Lukaku will (IMO) be the left wing and striker for the foreseeable future. They're all young so it's not like it's a case of Rashford taking over from one of them. He has the potential to be a future key player for us, so the question is where that position will be.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Tbf I would like to see us try to develop Rashford into a long term position. Martial and Lukaku will (IMO) be the left wing and striker for the foreseeable future. They're all young so it's not like it's a case of Rashford taking over from one of them. He has the potential to be a future key player for us, so the question is where that position will be.
Of course but that only leave no10 or right inside forward, neither of which he excels in right now.

Rashford is 2 years behind Martial so I think that plan can be delayed for at least 18 more months, in the meantime he should slot in where required on the fringe on the starting XI.

yfoFC

I think it's a cliché because it has become some sort of default criticism people grasp to lately.

Sure he might have been teared by Jose for not tracking back or this and that but that doesn't mean it's because he's uninterested.

I think performances should be seen objectively as are criticisms that occur from time. Though what people do on these boards is lazily define everything into a box and start throwing cliché which has always bothered me about some posters.

It happens a lot with different players. You'd hear "Pogba is careless", "Martial is lazy", etc as the go to criticism some love throwing around even though most of the time those aren't the cases. Their performances might warrant criticisms but people accuse them for the wrong things just because they've become cliché.
I get your point now about cliche and it's definitely a problem here on the caf

But yesterday he really didn't seem up for it and the only chance he created was when lukaku urged him on to close people down which he wasn't doing for most of his time on the pitch

I actually feel it's a great backlash against a player like rashford who is normally known for giving his all so this period of less enthusiasm is sharply pronounced. Like martial tracking back will be greatly highlighted as especially last season he wasn't doing that much of it

I would definitely not start calling rashford a disinterested player as that is the complete opposite of him most times but it's fair to say he has looked off for a while now and is being rightly called out on it

Swift Football

I do watch 90 mins of those players actually. Jesus isn't that great a dribbler, he keeps it very simple so whilst he does have tighter control in tight spaces he's not very daring with the ball and Marcus has way more to do in terms of ball carrying than Jesus. Jesus is very overrated as an all round player imo. He's more a poacher.

Mbappe and Dembele are better comparisons to Marcus. Yes every player might have odd moments when they might overrun with the ball but in general they look a lot more in control of the ball and if they do lose the ball it's through a good tackle or them trying too much ..but not as often is it a case of losing control of the ball or running it out of play. They're not perfect no one is but definitely ahead of Rashford by a long way on that front.

One thing I will say is that they've been fortunate to play for very attacking coaches and sides for club and country which has refined their skills and gives them more space to work with and forces them to confront packed defences more often whereas Marcus plays predominantly in pragmatic counter set ups which forces him to run at speed and be very direct and that may have an effect on his development thus far.
I agree with Rashford bit. Far too many times, he takes the ball towards the corner flag without having any plan in mind, and ends up neither crossing nor posing any kind of threat and more often than not, losing the ball. I see many people on here comparing Rashford to Owen, but I feel Owen was slightly better overall especially because Rashford is lacking a lot in finishing and movement. I dont think Rashford is at the level of Mbappe or Dembele but one thing he has is attitude, and attitude goes the long way. We can see lots of improvements in his game this season as compared to last season. Will he be the top talent, a 20 goal striker, only time can tell. If he carries on hard work and positive attitude, he can surely make up for the lack of his technical ability.

Reactions: KM

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I agree with Rashford bit. Far too many times, he takes the ball towards the corner flag without having any plan in mind, and ends up neither crossing nor posing any kind of threat and more often than not, losing the ball. I see many people on here comparing Rashford to Owen, but I feel Owen was slightly better overall especially because Rashford is lacking a lot in finishing and movement. I dont think Rashford is at the level of Mbappe or Dembele but one thing he has is attitude, and attitude goes the long way. We can see lots of improvements in his game this season as compared to last season. Will he be the top talent, a 20 goal striker, only time can tell. If he carries on hard work and positive attitude, he can surely make up for the lack of his technical ability.
Said it before but Owen was much better player at the same age.. but Rashford has greater range in his game in terms of skillset - brainwise and consistency.. Owen much further ahead in terms of development.

Michael Owen was a hell of a talent at 18, a better player than Marcus at that age IMO.

He definitely relied alot on pace, and he had a very simple dribbling technique, but he was very good in tight confined spaces and kept the ball very close to himself due to that low centre of gravity. He could also beat multiple players at that age and excellent decision-making for his age.

What Marcus has over him is the greater range of skills, set pieces, long range shots, more skills in his locker, physically has potential to become stronger etc. Marcus has more potential for sure, but people heavily underrate Owen at his peak. England's best big match attacking talent since Gascoigne/Shearer IMO... and even after he lost his pace, had zero ability to get past people, he had super intelligent movement off the ball and cold as feck composure in front of goal.

I hope Rashford goes on to become a more complete player than him, but lets hold our horses before we say he's already better than Owen was at that age. Owen at his best, was like a slightly less talented version of an Aguero that we see now, but more mentally stronger and better finisher under pressure.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And at the same time dont compete for titles? We dont have an established 1st team yet so wanting to challenge for titles and promoting youth is nearly impossible. The best must play. We cant wonder every week which Rashford is going to turn up.
He isn't playing every min. He is rotated in various positions. If that's the attitude we can just shut the academy and sign experienced players.

Check how many times Rashford played a role in first goal whenever he started.

zenith

Too many of our attacking players seem to be either tired or out of form. We are basically depending on pogba and martial to create most of our chances, this has got to change soon or goal scoring will be a real struggle for us, even against mid table teams.

With teams now paying more attention to young on the left flank, this should be a good opportunity for rashford to find spaces to run into more easily

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He isn't playing every min. He is rotated in various positions. If that's the attitude we can just shut the academy and sign experienced players.

Check how many times Rashford played a role in first goal whenever he started.
No that isnt the attitude, we just dont have to guarantee him mins, he needs to earn it consistently. He was fighting with Martial for a place and Martial has taken his chances better and I hope Mou will make him the certain starter, Rashford will have to earn his minutes which he isnt doing lately, if we want to compete for titles.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No that isnt the attitude, we just dont have to guarantee him mins, he needs to earn it consistently. He was fighting with Martial for a place and Martial has taken his chances better and I hope Mou will make him the certain starter, Rashford will have to earn his minutes which he isnt doing lately, if we want to compete for titles.
With his performances he has earned it, there is no doubt about that. He didn't do anything against Brighton but he assisted Pogba's goal against Newcastle. Didn't score or assist against Chelsea and Spurs but before that he scored against Benfica and Huddersfield.

Best deserves to play and Rashford is among the best players at ManUtd.

Greck

That's his game though. Getting the ball to the attacking 3rd and releasing it after our other attackers establish position. Sometimes he wins a corner. He isn't a superstar dribbler or passer or even finisher but when a player is this positive with his every touch, he puts pressure on defences and creates something sooner or later.

May not end up a star but could become a star within his role.

Greck

Mourinho went completely mental at Rashford for losing the ball despite having a 4-2 lead with few minutes left.

https://imgtc.com/w/9kSS2Zm
Mou seemed to be gesturing to the whole team but Rashford being the closest got the worst of it. A bit unfair on him. Felt Zlatan being static killed that move. Didn't attempt to make himself available for a return pass.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Mou seemed to be gesturing to the whole team but Rashford being the closest got the worst of it. A bit unfair on him. Felt Zlatan being static killed that move. Didn't attempt to make himself available for a return pass.
To me it looks like he got mad because Rashford just stood there after losing the ball, not trying to win it back. Mou is all about attitude and hard-work, he demands it from every player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There was an article during the week that his future is at crossroads. I thought that was ridiculous.
He simply has better players ahead of him which is understandable.
He's 20. Just has to keep his head down and focus on his game.

yfoFC

There was an article during the week that his future is at crossroads. I thought that was ridiculous.
Hope his agent doesn't do his head in.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m sure the press have just rolled out their cliche of ‘at his age, he needs to play every week’.

Arsenal 1:3 Man Utd

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Not a chance, he has a good head on his shoulders and is a youth product and Manc from birth.
He seems a down to earth kind of guy he will be alright..
I’m 100% sure he’ll be fine, but it will still be interesting to see how he reacts to losing his ‘managers pet’ status to Martial at the moment.

I am sure it will propel him into the next stage of his development

arthurka

I’m 100% sure he’ll be fine, but it will still be interesting to see how he reacts to losing his ‘managers pet’ status to Martial at the moment.

I am sure it will propel him into the next stage of his development
Mourinho is testing him.. He did it with Martial now its his turn.. He will be alright..

Man Utd 2:1 Moscow

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Needs a rollicking at half time. Wasting chances. Breaking down silly moves with flicks to nowhere. Overhitting that easy through ball to Lukaku. Not crossing for Herrera. Lost the ball for their goal too didn’t he? Poor so far either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.