5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Full bodied red

30 appearances. 9 goals. 8 assists. He's shit though... apparently.

Granted he's been pretty poor in the past few games but I reckon a lot of people are going OTT with their criticisms. Personally I'd like to see him reverted to an impact sub for when things aren't going well for Lukaku up top. Martial and Mata might not be in great form either but I'd prefer they started on the right/left respectively.
Both as poor as each other recently, so which one starts and which one's the sub ?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Put Mbappe in the hands of Mourinho for 18 months as an auxilary fullback and watch him become a broken young man as well.

He’s not a winger, he’s an explosive, instinctive centreforward who proved pre-Jose that under a proper youth advocate like Van Gaal can be hugely effective.

Ibrahimovic and Lukaku are stealing his development minutes; his finishing against City and Benfica was sharper and more indicative of a top level #9 than anything those two have/will produce this season.
But put Jesse Lingard into his hands for 18 months and some how he's become incredibly effective and our best attacking player... The excuses for Rashford are incredible, he was doing perfectly fine from the wings earlier in the season and has racked up the numbers, too. However, since this obvious attitude problem, its Mourinhos fault that Rashford ignores glaringly obvious opportunities to play his striker partner into a 1v1.

Did you forget the part that Rashford is the only player to have featured in every game for us this season? But yeah, others are taking his development opportunities away.

Sylar

IMO, this is a good trait to have. I don’t mind it at all. You saw the very same with CR7. He wants to be different and he’s not afraid to try something difficult. He’s got the hunger and the right attitude. The teams off form and he’s not quite there yet (although we’ve seen flashes of brilliance) so yea it can be extremely frustrating.

But I don’t mind a selfish rashford. But maybe nows not the right time!
Seal the game and then be selfish. If its 2-0 or something and he goes for a goal and misses, and then we somehow concede 2, I wouldnt put that on him.
At 1-1 or 2-1 up and he has a chance to square it to kill the game off instead of just slowing down to walking pace or not passing it to the obvious option, its ridiculous.

mav_9me

Out of form but that's OK. His mentality is top notch. He will only come out of this stronger.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Needs to be dropped for a while and made to work on his technique etc in the reserves. Said it before but his lower level is extremely poor and resembles championship level which is not acceptable for a United level forward. As for comparisons with Mbappe @noodlehair I said they were laughable then and they always will be - even when he does return to form his level just will never ever match what we expect from an Mbappe whose on another planet technically and iq wise. His bottom level is worse than guys like Gray or Redmond at times but his optimal level is special.. but all great players have a solid bottom level because they know they can't rely on being at the races every game and that is what Marcus needs to work on. Having a solid 7/10 performance in his locker every game. It will come with good technical coaching and maturity but there is no guarantee it will definitely happen as there is a lot of disparity between his upper and lower level. This wasn't a problem in guys like Ronaldo whose bottom level was that he always looked the most technically gifted player on the pitch abit like Martial but that his decision making could be really poor and things didn't quite come off for him in those younger years. It was not a regular occurrence to see him miscontrol balls, run out of play or just look so one dimensional when running with the ball.

We need to keep faith with the lad but we need to protect him and nurture him too.. worst thing is to just feed the ego, make it out like he's guaranteed to make it and he doesn't put the effort in to really study his game and put in the necessary improvements. He's very raw and people forget that because of the blistering start he made to his career.. we don't want him ending up like a Walcott.
My point with Mbappe alwas was and still is that I don't understand what on earth he has to do with Rashford. There is no comparison worth making because why would anyone ever care?

Rashford needs to stop thinking he's Ronaldo and go back to working hard and playing games as if he wants to impress as part of the team, instead of thinking his job is to make sure everyone is paying attention to Markus Rashford all the time.

It's really fecking irritating now. Every time he picks up the ball, the whole game has to stop and pay attention to him. Even when he passes it. it's like he's trying to do it with an attitude. This sort of shite is irritating if it's coming from the best performing player in your team. Rashford though is going entire games at times without doing a single thing that is even remotely useful,, let alone good. I mean, did he do anything at all today that indicated having him out there was better than playing with 10 men?

His ego needs to be given a fairly significant slapping down. I don't think work rate or application is the problem. Just a detachment from what he's offering during a game, compared to what he thinks he's offering.

Dobbs

This "change in approach" is overstated. He is just making the wrong decisions which is normal for a young player.
Do you accept now he's having a bad spell no matter where he plays on the pitch?

I ask because after his last poor performance you put it down to him being on the right.

haram

Do you accept now he's having a bad spell no matter where he plays on the pitch?

I ask because after his last poor performance you put it down to him being on the right.
I have said he is struggling atm yes. He has lost some confidence and is making the wrong decisions. I still stand by the opinion that he isn't good on the right and Mata is better though.

Dobbs

I have said he is struggling atm yes. He has lost some confidence and is making the wrong decisions.
Next time he plays on the right and doesn't have a good game it's worth keeping that in mind.

Luke1995

Define world class.
For me personally, world class is when a player can either score consistently at least 30 goals per season OR when he is very good at long range passing and dribbling. Seeing as Marcus has poor dribbling and will never be a central midfielder who can play balls like Scholes or Kroos, I am assuming that with two years at most, his positioning skills which are already good, will improve at an incredible rate as Marcus matures (he's still a kid, not every kid matures as fast as Mbappe) and that incredible positioning in the box would allow him to score alot, kinda like Kane for example. What really marked Marcus, half 2015-16 season where he burst into the scene was his positioning awareness, he has an incredible ability to be at the right place at the right time despite not being very strong physically or any good at headers. If he learns how to use his pace better instead of just kepting his head down and running everywhere, he will be able to know when to stay in the box and when to leave it more if needed to use that pace, I think sometimes he wastes energy too fast as a starter and gets confused as to if he should stick to the wing or drop to the centre. In short, I am hoping that in 2019 he will use that newfound maturity and tactical awareness to become a good goalscorer at least.

Dobbs

I edited my post. I stand by my opinion that he is not good on the right.
Fair enough but it's when you use a bad performance on the right to backup that opinion. When you know at this moment he's playing poorly wherever he is on the pitch.

haram

Fair enough but it's when you use a bad performance on the right to backup that opinion. When you know at this moment he's playing poorly wherever he is on the pitch.
He played poorly on the right against Newcastle and then went up front with Lukaku and played better though.

haram

What do you think that proves?
What do you mean what do I think it proves? I said he wasn't good on the right before he played there and I still think he isn't good on the right.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
He is not that talented. He really isn't. A good talent, but that Mbappe thread was an abomination. If he keeps up his decision making woes, he'll be out of the door very soon. Ask Welbeck, Cleverly etc etc.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His form has dipped and as any young player he is inconsistent but some of the posts are just facepalm worthy. Looks like so many are out of their caves to post "I told you so" as soon as he is having dip in his form.

Micky Targaryen

He is not that talented. He really isn't. A good talent, but that Mbappe thread was an abomination. If he keeps up his decision making woes, he'll be out of the door very soon. Ask Welbeck, Cleverly etc etc.
You have got to be kidding. He is incredibly talented for a 20 year old. What does he have to do to convince you of his talent? Are you expecting a 20 year old to carry our currently out-of-form team? His technique when striking the ball is brilliant and he is rapid. Decision making and mentality will surely improve as he matures but please don't forget that his is only 20 years old. Give him a break ffs :houllier:

Mkhitaryan on the other hand.......

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Poor yesterday and poor when he came against Leicester. Same thing against City etc

He has a big dip in performances

Yesterday his first touch was woeful and his corners and free kicks were..... chaotic

He deserves to stay on the bench for a few more games

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
You have got to be kidding. He is incredibly talented for a 20 year old. What does he have to do to convince you of his talent? Are you expecting a 20 year old to carry our currently out-of-form team? His technique when striking the ball is brilliant and he is rapid. Decision making and mentality will surely improve as he matures but please don't forget that his is only 20 years old. Give him a break ffs :houllier:

Mkhitaryan on the other hand.......
He is a good talent. Apologies for disagreeing with your opinion that he is an incredible talent.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
I got my attached tagline, because certain posters on this forum got incensed when I said that Rashford wasn't nearly as good as Mbappe on the ridiculous Rashford V Mbappe thread.

Look at this thread now.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Needs to be dropped for a while and made to work on his technique etc in the reserves. Said it before but his lower level is extremely poor and resembles championship level which is not acceptable for a United level forward. As for comparisons with Mbappe @noodlehair I said they were laughable then and they always will be - even when he does return to form his level just will never ever match what we expect from an Mbappe whose on another planet technically and iq wise. His bottom level is worse than guys like Gray or Redmond at times but his optimal level is special.. but all great players have a solid bottom level because they know they can't rely on being at the races every game and that is what Marcus needs to work on. Having a solid 7/10 performance in his locker every game. It will come with good technical coaching and maturity but there is no guarantee it will definitely happen as there is a lot of disparity between his upper and lower level. This wasn't a problem in guys like Ronaldo whose bottom level was that he always looked the most technically gifted player on the pitch abit like Martial but that his decision making could be really poor and things didn't quite come off for him in those younger years. It was not a regular occurrence to see him miscontrol balls, run out of play or just look so one dimensional when running with the ball.

We need to keep faith with the lad but we need to protect him and nurture him too.. worst thing is to just feed the ego, make it out like he's guaranteed to make it and he doesn't put the effort in to really study his game and put in the necessary improvements. He's very raw and people forget that because of the blistering start he made to his career.. we don't want him ending up like a Walcott.
Good "I told ya" kind of post. He is having dip in form, that doesn't mean his contribution at the start of the season should be ignored.

People have this kind of annoying habit of judging young players too harshly and quickly, there are posters who said Berahino was better than Kane or Kane was limited techincally, too many posters are way too quick to conclude what the limit is for any young player when most of the times they end up being wrong.

You have a great example, player who is now compared with Messi and Ronaldo when only 2 years ago he was worse than Berahino and technically limited according to Caf experts.

Micky Targaryen

He is a good talent. Apologies for disagreeing with your opinion that he is an incredible talent.
Yes I agree with you that Rashford isn't on the same level as Mbappe. But that's not taking anything away from Rashford. I feel it's a pointless comparison. Rashford is a very talented 20 year old whereas Mbappe is phenomenal.

Having said that, if Rashford was in the current PSG team now, who knows.

Dobbs

Worst period of his career so far but over the last month he's been inches away from scoring three of the best goals of his career. Two off the woodwork and one cleared off the line. Unlucky in that sense.

So even when badly off form he at least still gives you something.

Foxbatt

His problem is that now he is getting too selfish. He should pass to his team mates when they are in better positions and not try to take the whole opposition on his own. He is not Maradona.

Coops73

His form and some of his decision making has been a bit shit of late but he’ll come good, he has too much quality for it not to.

Home&Away

The first season Rashford broke through I was ecstatic; seemed like we found a striker who could grow in to become a 20 a season striker.

Now he is on the wing not due to his inability to score but simply from bringing in ibrahimpvic in Jose's first season & now Lukaku.

I'm not surprised about his selfishness; he is a striker playing in a position he can't score goals from & forced to create/cross to a striker who cannot score himself; yet he is never dropped to be replaced by Rashford.

Rashford is better at making runs behind the defence than lukaku & has a better ability at making chances himself. It may be pushing it but I'd say he also has a more predatory instinct in and around the box than Lukaku who capitlatises from brute strength more. Lukaku isn't even good at holding up the ball where martial is much better at doing.

Why people are so surprised about his form is confusing.

Foxbatt

When Rashford has been played at CF he has not delivered. He needs someone else to play along side of him. His conversion of open chances are not that high either when he has played at CF.

0le

When Rashford has been played at CF he has not delivered. He needs someone else to play along side of him. His conversion of open chances are not that high either when he has played at CF.
I believe under Mourinho, the chances Rashford has had up front have been sporadic. Compare that with players such as Lukaku and Zlatan. It'll be interesting to see what Mourinho does with Rashford (and Martial) if and when we get buy some wingers.

Home&Away

I thought he has done quite well at Cf scoring at least a goal every 2 games. He definitely hasn't gone on a barren spell like lukaku has who has played upfront by himself as well as a partner when we play 352.

When we do play 352, Rashford from my memory has scored nearly every single match even if his overall performance could be improved.

Rashford partnering Martial upfront is the best striker combination we have but I just don't think the manager has balls to let it develop.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Yes I agree with you that Rashford isn't on the same level as Mbappe. But that's not taking anything away from Rashford. I feel it's a pointless comparison. Rashford is a very talented 20 year old whereas Mbappe is phenomenal.

Having said that, if Rashford was in the current PSG team now, who knows.
Its not the team that so much the issue but rather its him. He isnt clinical enough and doesnt finish chances he should. That wont be different if he was playing for PSG today.

Home&Away

Its not the team that so much the issue but rather its him. He isnt clinical enough and doesnt finish chances he should. That wont be different if he was playing for PSG today.
His first season he was more than clinical. He really hasn't had a chance to build on that consistently as a striker.

If Rashford had the free pass to a starting XI place as a striker regardless of goals, form or assists like Lukaku has had; I doubt we would not see him become a very good & reliable player for his age.

Silverman

Along with the obvious being played on the wing when he should be played as a striker, one of the problem's with Rashford atm is that I think he is believing his hype a little too much. He's trying fancy footwork, flicks, taking on defenders when he shouldn't and trying to be too clever in front of goal which don't come off when he should be doing what got him to where he is. He's a young lad and has a very promising future and doubt any of this will affect him in the long run as he seems very driven to succeed but it's not helping him at the moment.

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Hit the post twice and had a shot cleared off the line in our last 3 games. He's been as unlucky as Pogba was last season when it comes to hitting the post this year. All of a sudden he can't finish? 9 Goals and 8 assists is a fantastic turn out, there will be ups and downs for a 20 year old, it's almost as if some of these posters haven't seen some of the talents we've nurtured in our history. Even if you don't believe that, just look at how Sterling's form has turned. Be patient with this guy, he has the work ethic and the talent to become brilliant.

yfoFC

Bit of an indictment on the young fella with Micky starting ahead of him, hopefully this is the kick up the arse that wakes him up

dove

Bit of an indictment on the young fella with Micky starting ahead of him, hopefully this is the kick up the arse that wakes him up
He should be happy he even made the bench as he was just as bad as Mkhi before being dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.