5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRevongge

I thought he was good. I still believe he will eventually be a striker rather than winger. He just doesn't have the skillset to be a world class winger. He would be much better suited more centrally.

Saying that I could easily be wrong....just my opinion

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I thought he was good. I still believe he will eventually be a striker rather than winger. He just doesn't have the skillset to be a world class winger. He would be much better suited more centrally.

Saying that I could easily be wrong....just my opinion
I agree. I actually don't think he's shown anything to suggest he's a special talent at all when playing on the left. Despite him playing there every week now, I still don't see anything to justify it being the position that best suits him.

As a centre forward, he's shown a completely different level of quality in my opinion. Zlatan' injury has probably ruined his development as a striker. According to many reports, we'd have targeted a 10 to play behind Zlatan instead of Lukaku if Zlatan didn't get injured. With Zlatan going into his last year, another season may have been enough time for Rashford to be ready to lead the line. As it stands, we got a 24 year old 9 instead, not sure if Rash will get much of a chance there now. I'd actually prefer his type of striker to Lukaku too, but he's just not ready yet.

SteveW

Targetting the keeper doesn't mean shooting ffs. If he was trying to score he could have drilled it. Instead he whipped it towards keeper knowing he was weak in the air and hoping someone would get across the ball and make it tough for him. But he hit it higher than he meant to.

I don't get why people are struggling with this. Not targetting him would have been hitting less of an in swinger or perhaps hanging it to the back post. The idea that it was a shot us fecking ridiculous. If he was shooting why not just drill it towards the near post instead of kicking it straight into his hands?

Last edited:

SteveW

I thought he meant it for a shot. When I watched it, the curve of the free kicks looks like he took a shot and aimed top corner but it didn't go top corner at the end.
The kick would have been a hell of a good cross if it had been a couple feet lower. It was hit at a beautiful angle to be attacked just too high. Horrible line for a shot though.

Cliche Guevara

Wait, are people seriously trying to suggest Rashford didn’t mean that? And criticising people who could clearly see he meant it? I was not expecting that.

He even tried to score direct from a corner a few moments before, and almost did.

Mike09

The kick would have been a hell of a good cross if it had been a couple feet lower. It was hit at a beautiful angle to be attacked just too high. Horrible line for a shot though.
The pace & the power of the free kick looked more a shot than a cross IMO.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Wait, are people seriously trying to suggest Rashford didn’t mean that? And criticising people who could clearly see he meant it? I was not expecting that.

He even tried to score direct from a corner a few moments before, and almost did.
Didn't try to score from a corner.

He nearly did, but the plan with the cross was to put it next to tall players crowding the keeper (Ref Mourinhos comments)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Targetting the keeper doesn't mean shooting ffs. If he was trying to score he could have drilled it. Instead he whipped it towards keeper knowing he was weak in the air and hoping someone would get across the ball and make it tough for him. But he hit it higher than he meant to.

I don't get why people are struggling with this. Not targetting him would have been hitting less of an in swinger or perhaps hanging it to the back post. The idea that it was a shot us fecking ridiculous. If he was shooting why not just drill it towards the near post instead of kicking it straight into his hands?
Because he saw the keeper off his line. It's abundantly clear that's what he meant. The keeper was bizarrely far off his line, hence Marcus tried to ping it over his head. The execution wasn't perfect and it was saveable but it was still a quality attempt.

SteveW

Because he saw the keeper off his line. It's abundantly clear that's what he meant. The keeper was bizarrely far off his line, hence Marcus tried to ping it over his head. The execution wasn't perfect and it was saveable but it was still a quality attempt.
Why didn't he go for the near post then? If the ball is a bit lower it's in a beautiful area to be attacked and a horrible area for the keeper. I think it was a slightly over hit cross as opposed to a really poor shot. Do you also think he was trying to score from hhe corners?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Why didn't he go for the near post then? If the ball is a bit lower it's in a beautiful area to be attacked and a horrible area for the keeper. I think it was a slightly over hit cross as opposed to a really poor shot. Do you also think he was trying to score from hhe corners?
I think the corners were just intended to be whipped in right under the bar. I don’t think he thought he could score from one but obviously wanted to put as much pressure as possible on the keeper. Lukaku’s header off the bar in the first half a good example (and never a foul) Rashford was really striking dead balls sweetly in the second half. Much more likely he just missed lobbing the keeper than missed all his team-mates by several yards. Very similar to this goal.

haram

Who cares man. The important thing is his dead ball delivery looks menacing. We have so much height in the team, it could be crucial this season.

fellaini's barber

Are people still talking about that shot/cross...ffs. Anyways how is he fit again? Shouldn't he be rested at least as a precaution. Hope Mourinho allows him get some time out

Emrethis

Excellent news.
Its good that he's fit, but I hope Jose doesn't burn him out. With rumors of the knock on international duty and the "feeling" in the knee, I don't know for sure, but there's a good chance he's playing through injury at the moment. We need to be careful with him because it looks like Jose's relying on him the same way Liverpool relied on Michael Owen.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I don't see how there can be talks of burn out or rest when he's one of the most rotated player.

Emrethis

I don't see how there can be talks of burn out or rest when he's one of the most rotated player.
Fair points. I just see that he's appeared in practically almost every single game so far. Also, there was that knock on international duty which kept him from starting the Liverpool game. That was on Saturday. Then there's that "feeling" in his knee that spooked him so much that he immediately requested to be substituted. That was only 4 days later. I hope the next game, 3 days on, doesn't actually result in an injury.

All I'm saying is that I don't like how we're relying on him this much.

haram

Also have to consider the type of player he is. Very explosive and high work rate. I agree though, the rotation we have in place should be fine.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He got a knock during the international break and another knock last game which IMO means he's playing through a small injury. Rashford is 'fit' which probably means that he's taking a few pills to keep him going.

Last season Mourinho talked about some players not playing through a little pain and Rashford strikes me as a player that will do whatever it takes to get on the pitch.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Great news that he's okay. We cannot afford to lose him or Martial at all this season, we have such little quality in their areas as it is.

SteveW

I think the corners were just intended to be whipped in right under the bar. I don’t think he thought he could score from one but obviously wanted to put as much pressure as possible on the keeper. Lukaku’s header off the bar in the first half a good example (and never a foul) Rashford was really striking dead balls sweetly in the second half. Much more likely he just missed lobbing the keeper than missed all his team-mates by several yards. Very similar to this goal.

Still think he was just trying to whip it into an awkward area and just hit it higher than intended. It went straight over Smalling's head at the end of the day. It's not an uncommon occurrence when trying to put the kind of power and whip he was going for. I'd genuinely prefer that than to think he thought he could lob a keeper from that position. He was never getting lobbed from there.

Agreed on him striking the ball well though. He's showing some nice ability from set pieces whether it be the Ronaldo style dipping shot against Celta Vigo or nice powerful whipped deliveries like the other night. It's been a pleasant surprise. Hopefully he keeps honing it.

slored1

Our third best player this season after DDG and Lukaku. Seems to deliver everytime.

Status
Not open for further replies.