5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban

Is he better than Welbeck? Will he ever be better than Welbeck?
He is better. A lot better. Bad run of form right now and what I dont like is he acts like he's done it all as opposed to last 2 seasons when he worked his ass off.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Is he better than Welbeck? Will he ever be better than Welbeck?
Difficult to say he is at this moment in time, he looks dreadful.

He's mightily fortunate though, he's been promoted from the youth team at a point in time when we're just not very good. He wouldn't have been promoted in City or Chelseas youth team for example, and certainly not when we had a strong front line.

el3mel

I think Welbeck had scored 28 or 29 goals here only. Rashford already had 28 and he's only 20. It's not even a comparison.

Even though I don't have the same high prediction for Rashford at the moment, no chance Welbeck is better than him.

Foxbatt

Both are the same. Rashford has been terrible of lately. He needs to realise that he is not a superstar and get his basics right.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't know why he looks dreadful this year. Awful performances on all positions. That chance today in 6 yard box? What was that? He touched the ball 5 or six times. I criticise his decision making whole season but it is even worse now. Am i blind( not daley) or is jose blind( not danny) when he doesn't see that?

Robbie Boy

He's on a dreadful run of form but he's far better than fecking Welbeck. Terrible barometer, mind.

PepsiCola

He's a striker being forced to play as a winger.

One game back in his natural position isn't enough to judge him by.

Though I don't feel mourinho is the correct coach for him.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Should be on loan at somewhere like Southampton rather than being a regular starter for Manchester United.

He isn't good enough yet, it's that simple.

His decision making is literally terrible - not just bad, it's terrible. And decision making is huge when playing for a big team who are often playing against packed defenses.

I wouldn't advocate selling him, yet. But please, get him out on loan and away from the starting 11 of a team who are being pressured to compete for the fecking PL and CL.

Ashley R1+O

I wonder if he will lead the line while Romelu and Zlatan are out. I think he's having a real dip in his mentality and probably needs a few weeks in a fresh role to revitalize, I really hope that he takes this going forward and grasps us. Real opportunity for him.

Should be on loan at somewhere like Southampton rather than being a regular starter for Manchester United.
I agree, I would not have minded him being loaned out at the start of this season to a lower club to bang the ball in and start every game. But with the squad dangerously thin on the ground can see why he stayed and his mentality isn't in question.

DarkXaero

I agree with what others have said about a loan for him, I think a loan move to a PL club where he could be first choice striker (and I don't see why not, he's highly rated in England), it would do him a lot of good. Here at United, he'll mostly get games starting on left wing, and unless Lukaku gets a long term injury, he'll not get much playing time as a striker. Obviously it's not possible to loan him atm but if we can build some squad depth in the summer, it should be considered. Southampton started with Shane Long today who has a dreadful scoring record, surely a club like them could use Rashford instead.

He's a striker being forced to play as a winger.

One game back in his natural position isn't enough to judge him by.

Though I don't feel mourinho is the correct coach for him.
He has lacked the composure and finishing of a striker at this level since day one.

I feel like hes going to become another of those players who can do everything but isn't especially good at anything.

Foxbatt

Personally I think the hype has gone to his head. All the pundits praising him and saying he is better than Martial etc. He is not as half as good as Martial.

haram

You can question his form and performances, I still dont get how people keep brandishing him as 'lazy'.

El Jefe

I agree with the posters who have mentioned that LVG would have developed Rashford way better.

Under Jose, it seems like he's been given free reign to be a jack of all trades on the pitch. Under LVG his game was still about speed and skill but had an element of simplicity to it that made him effective.

It seems like Jose has told him to do whatever he likes on the pitch as long as he tracks back. He's suffering from poor development IMO because I still believe he's a top talent.

Home&Away

It's not just Rashford but half the squad is consistently played in the wrong position & it has affected Rashford the striker the most.

Numbers a side this was a mediocre winger before he became a striker with potential - playing as a winger has destroyed his progression as a striker & reeled his confidence.

Festive Sandvich

His decision making is literally terrible - not just bad, it's terrible. And decision making is huge when playing for a big team who are often playing against packed defenses./QUOTE]

I wouldn't say his decision making is terrible, just very, very slow. He seems to look up and see the right option, but by then it's too late. Ponderous is the right word. Fleet of foot, but not of mind, which is arguably worse when attempting to counter attack.

manunited1919

We need a striker with pace (Rashford, Lukaku, Martial), good decision making (Lukaku, Ibra), good with the ball at his feet (Ibra, Martial, Lukaku, maybe Rashford), and is good at controlling a ball (Ibra, maybe Martial).

I am beginning to think our issues in attack won’t be sorted until we bring in another experienced striker with better attributes. How do you teach football intelligence to a young Rashford?

OohAahMartial

Rashford can't be a CF if he can't win a header. He's a winger and not even a particularly good one at that yet. Give him a few years on the training pitch and in the Reserves and maybe his technique, crossing and corners will improve. As well as his attitude.

utdman

Like Martial, I think Rashford's best position is in the centre not as a winger. Although I don't rate him as highly as Martial , he would be much much better and scoring goals if he is played in the centre.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Analysis by Shearer on MOTD was very revealing. He still has SO much to learn as a no 9, with no guarantee that he has the talent or intelligence to make it.

if his best position is no 9, he has no right to do that learning as our no 9, it will cost us way too many points, like yesterday.

At this stage of his development he should be sent on loan, where he can play no 9 twice a week. Else he won't make it.

OohAahMartial

Like Martial, I think Rashford's best position is in the centre not as a winger. Although I don't rate him as highly as Martial , he would be much much better and scoring goals if he is played in the centre.
In the centre for us or another side? Because we play long balls and crosses to a target man and he is anything but a target man.

utdman

In the centre for us or another side? Because we play long balls and crosses to a target man and he is anything but a target man.
Probably for another side. But for us if we stop playing negative ancient football.

C'est Moi Cantona

Too much been asked of him, and the wrong manager for him to properly develop, something needs to be done with him pretty soon.

Bojan11

Probably for another side. But for us if we stop playing negative ancient football.
Yes because he’s going to turn into Messi when we start playing tiki taka football.

He’s not ready to be relied on. Takes too many touches to control a ball or even shoot. Offered zero movement or hold up play yesterday. Didn’t bother jumping for anything. Gave a great clearance header.

The only plus point I can say about his performance yesterday he is better at defending set pieces than Lukaku.

iKeano

He’s in a stinking run of form at the minute and his attitude seems to be a reflection of the José rot that’s setting in. The kid was a smiling goal machine for 2 seasons and now he looks like an unhappy, petulant brat.

Had his chance to play where he wants and didn’t capitalise at all.

To compare him to Welbeck is ridiculous - he’s already 10x the player Welbeck will ever be.

He’ll come good again, just needs man-managed.... although our manager only cares about managing himself at the minute.

Foxbatt

Good comment by Shearer about him. To be blunt Shearer says his movements are terrible or rather there is no movement and he should be getting his movements right. Step back to move forward or step forward to move back. He just puts his head down and try to beat everyone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Where have his skills gone? I remember his debut season he was doing step overs, Ronaldo chops etc something that made him a bit less predictable.

These days all he does is kick and run, and his agility seems to have gone down a step. I fear we may be trying to bulk him up and he's losing what made him a real threat.

It's a shame as he was really flairy as a striker, maybe it's just the low confidence.

KYcinco

People have to remember, when a youth player breaks into the first team the manager allows him to have all the " freedom" when it comes to the player playing his own" game".

It's only the 2nd season and beyond where the manager will" tighten up / tune" and slowly implement his views and tactics for that player.

Rashford was coping well but it seems like the " battle " with martial is making him a little defiant in terms of team play, I noticed how greedy he was becoming late last season.

My personal view,

He will be a good player, he won' be " world class" though, of course he will have a " sensational season " one day , most players do, English Talent normally lacks something.

RedStrudel76

Personally I think the hype has gone to his head. All the pundits praising him and saying he is better than Martial etc. He is not as half as good as Martial.
when he first came on the scene, scored goals, got his England call-up, everyone said Marcus was this lovely "down-to-earth lad" who wouldn't let the hype go to his head..

But like you and many have pointed out, there is evidence to suggest he's starting to get an ego above his station. Mourinho needs to slap him down back to earth for the lad's own good.

He got too much, too soon.. he scored a few goals for United and suddenly he's playing for Desperate England!? wheres the protection for these young players..

He's done/proved nothing yet, we need to send him on loan to a relegation fodder club to toughen him up (kicked in training etc). Where he will only get 1 chance per game if he's lucky and he needs to finish.

He's no Harry Kane, and the sooner we accept that he won't be the "Manc Kane" because we are desperate for a Manchester striker who can finish like Kane.. the better. The lad can still have a good career in the lower levels.. but we are holding him back.

Tapori

Terrible.
I want whippersnapper-ninho for 100M. Watch this youtube vid.

-
Poor run at the moment but I liked Shearer's analysis on MoTD. Needs to play more in that position to be better in that role.
The lad has bags of talent and needs to be kept with us rather than loaned out unless he has a catastrophic loss of form.

yfoFC

Hopefully he comes off the bench to get a goal or assist to boost his confidence and overall play going forward. We need him back on form

yfoFC

Yeah, also it helps having someone like him coming off the bench otherwise we'd have nobody that can really make an impact as a sub.
Should work better than our ever green zlatan in that regard, a return to early season form of "destroying tired legs" will be highly welcome today as that's how we put 4 past everton last I remember

Everton 0:2 Man Utd

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
His first season he was more than clinical. He really hasn't had a chance to build on that consistently as a striker.

If Rashford had the free pass to a starting XI place as a striker regardless of goals, form or assists like Lukaku has had; I doubt we would not see him become a very good & reliable player for his age.
You dont need to play as a striker to be clinical. You need to learn to finish if you are playing as an attacking player. Martial plays on the wing too but he is much more clinical than Rashford.

Home&Away

You dont need to play as a striker to be clinical. You need to learn to finish if you are playing as an attacking player. Martial plays on the wing too but he is much more clinical than Rashford.
But martial is a better winger than Rashford is. Rashford from my knowledge was a average level winger in the reserves before LVG took a punt on him as a striker. His performances correlates with his career so far, his frustration/attitude & his progression.

LVG tended to want a particular type of forward - Rashford in terms of play style was what jesus is to City; a CF that can mediate around the wings & find the pockets of spaces whilst attacks happen through the wings and behind him. If jesus was played on the left wing or right wing - he would look decent but not productive enough & this is what I am seeing with Rashford currently.

Martial has the natural ability to be on the left wing but :
A) he isn't a winger so doesn't benefit the striker much
B) his style of play - his ability to hold on to the ball & his very close to feet dribbling style is suited to the centre
C) martial tends to cut in the same position as a LW with the intention to shoot or pass literally in the same way & can struggle to beat his man or be productive too
D) centrally he can hold on to the ball, play short passes or lay offs, dribble with the ball close to his feet directly face on with the goal as well as the defenders meaning his is able to better take on the defenders on both side since he has options to score or pass on equally on both sides.

Rashford has similar capabilities but nowhere near capable as martial on the wing due to the problems both of them have at being a traditional winger as well as Rashford'dribbling style & his pace is used to usually get past one defender centrally or two maximum before he ends through on goal - ideally his pace is meant to play on the defensive line to make runs in behind almost like Owen used to. Even scrapping that - the goals he scored in his debut season was centrally, predatory instincts being in the right place at the right time with a mixture of pace & precision.

Rashford is being held back by the formation, the key players in Jose's tactics such as lukaku, a lack of confidence in his own ability possibly as a winger and more probably now as a CF.

All in all, it's nothing to worry about - he is a young striker playing for a manager who's type of striker is fundamentally the types of ibrahimpvic & lukaku - he is more likely to utilise players like martial & Rashford as wingers because they are capable to do so & nothing more.

Rashford will be here longer than Jose & the way football is these days if Lukaku doesn't kick on under Jose - i struggle to see how he will be more effective than Rashford under most managers in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.