5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearded One

I think we are a bit too harsh on the lad. After England conceded the whole team fell totally apart.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Wow - I thought he did well when he came on and was more productive than Sterling has been. Each to their own I guess.

izzydiggler

Wow - I thought he did well when he came on and was more productive than Sterling has been. Each to their own I guess.
I don't really rate Rashford as a 'top prospect' at all but recognise that he has some raw talents that can be very effective on occasion...but I cannot believe that someone would think he did "well" tonight. Arguments that he didn't get service or opportunity could hold some weight but to claim he did well? Not for me.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We shouldn't have subbed Sterling as he's just more consistent than Marcus. Even then, Welbeck should be ahead of him in the pecking order for that SS slot Sterling occupies.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I don't really rate Rashford as a 'top prospect' at all but recognise that he has some raw talents that can be very effective on occasion...but I cannot believe that someone would think he did "well" tonight. Arguments that he didn't get service or opportunity could hold some weight but to claim he did well? Not for me.
You can't be serious
He was brought on at 70 minutes when Croatia were utterly dominant. He did well with the ball at his feet for the most part and created a couple of chances. Anyone expecting him to come on into that situation and immediately turn the game around is mental. Thought he should have been given more gametime in the WC generally and the England 3-5-2 setup would be ideal for him alongside Kane.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We shouldn't have subbed Sterling as he's just more consistent than Marcus. Even then, Welbeck should be ahead of him in the pecking order for that SS slot Sterling occupies.
As a neutral, I have no idea why Sterling plays for England. Such a stupid player for England. I don't think Ashley Young would do any worse in his position than him. Did he actually do anything on this World Cup, except "looking dangerous" and apparently making good movement(while England isn't creating anything btw)?

Both Welbeck and Rashford are easily better options than him. Welbeck's performances level for England are on another level to Sterling's.

Blaming Rashford today for not doing anything spectacular in half an hour while you have Sterling who did nothing during the entire World Cup is laughable.

BBer13

As a neutral, I have no idea why Sterling plays for England. Such a stupid player for England. I don't think Ashley Young would do any worse in his position than him. Did he actually do anything on this World Cup, except "looking dangerous" and apparently making good movement(while England isn't creating anything btw)?

Both Welbeck and Rashford are easily better options than him. Welbeck's performances level for England are on another level to Sterling's.

Blaming Rashford today for not doing anything spectacular in half an hour while you have Sterling who did nothing during the entire World Cup is laughable.

Couldn't agree more, while he has looked dangerous at time he has failed to produce anything worth remembering. Think vardy or rashford could have done a better job, might not have made as many runs but would of perhaps had a bigger overall impact on the game from an attacking sense.

Eddy_JukeZ

Still not his biggest fan, but England were terrible after they conceded.

Was hard coming into that game.

el3mel

Very good talent with good qualities. Just can't be a starter that's all. Coming from the bench is enough at the moment.

OverratedOpinion

I thought he did all he could except for the rubbish free kick. I think he helped England move further up the pitch for a spell when they had been pegged back.

luke511

That move where he hits it past a player and tries to run around them is an awful habit, it never fecking works. He's not to blame though, the majority of the team were all pants as well, ah well.

Jonno

He livened up England pretty well. They were dead on their feet. It would have been nice if he got more game time in this tournament so he could have been a little sharper for the occasion tonight, instead of just throwing him on and hoping for the best.

Looked very lively - clearly difficult coming on as a sub, he can’t make an impact every time. Look at Vardy, last couple of times he’s come on as a sub, he’s barely made an impact. It’s not easy. His time will come. He’s 20 years old and has just played an hour in a WC semi final. He will be gutted now, but that’s an amazing achievement.

rpitchfo

The one thing that annoys me more than anything is subs that fall straight into the tempo of the game when players are tired and they jog around like they have been playing 75 minutes.

You’ve got 15 minutes rashford run around like a fecking lunatic. Nope jogging around like Kane instead.

I’ve been calling for him all tournement but he didn’t really offer anything.

Compare that to rose who actually pushed up and got into dangerous positions (minus the quality final ball).

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
actually showed some great feet, was ineffective in the end but the game was played elsewhere and didnt get his balls he needed but still top talent , yeah not exactly mbappe level but with defensively set up england team you cant expect too much, having only few cameos too but I liked his feet looked his dribbling was on today, couldnt convert the little time he had into anything of note though but I wouldnt blame him for that

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
The one thing that annoys me more than anything is subs that fall straight into the tempo of the game when players are tired and they jog around like they have been playing 75 minutes.

You’ve got 15 minutes rashford run around like a fecking lunatic. Nope jogging around like Kane instead.

I’ve been calling for him all tournement but he didn’t really offer anything.

Compare that to rose who actually pushed up and got into dangerous positions (minus the quality final ball).
really not sure what you meant by this post, thought rashford actually tried to press and run around in good tempo

Okey

Perhaps it's time to ask if Rashford is just having the typical young player dip or was only a short time hit who's peaked already. He hasn't really moved forward for a couple of seasons. Still being protected a lot when he's analysed. He either needs to really work hard at improving his game or we get used to the reality he's just another above average player and not the top talent we thought he was when he burst onto the scene. I sure hope he can turn it around, for United's sake. Luckily he's got so much time to do that...

rpitchfo

really not sure what you meant by this post, thought rashford actually tried to press and run around in good tempo
Bits and bobs; too may times for me when he looked for other players to press when we were off the ball and trying to push their defence back. Players who had already spent their energy and given everything and he’s jogging around their back line.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Perhaps it's time to ask if Rashford is just having the typical young player dip or was only a short time hit who's peaked already. He hasn't really moved forward for a couple of seasons. Still being protected a lot when he's analysed. He either needs to really work hard at improving his game or we get used to the reality he's just another above average player and not the top talent we thought he was when he burst onto the scene. I sure hope he can turn it around, for United's sake. Luckily he's got so much time to do that...
how has he not moved forward for a couple of seasons? he only had his debut couple of years ago, he deosnt deserve any criticism based on this tournament. I agree hes protected a lot but hes 20, found it hard to compete with another world class talent martial and established world class player sanchez, shocking.. hes got a bright future and even though he s still raw it is not true he didnt develop. At 18 under van gaal h was just a right man at the right place playing as a striker, then he was moved to a rw under mourinho and hes stil adapting even though he was never the best dribbler, he will learn a lot from that but give him time

Leif GW

Brutal freekicks at the end.

I've never been convinced about him being this huge talent anyway, I think he could prove to be a solid PL striker, but not much more than that.

Irrational.

He lacks maturity and decision making in the final third - he should learn from a player like Mbappe who is miles ahead of him developmentally.

He will be a top player but it will take time.

stepic

He has a tendency to just kick the ball forward and run after it. Not enough skill and intelligence for me, he’s quick and has the odd moment but he is incredibly overrated.

Okey

I'm aware of his age. And I'm not basing any criticism on this tournament. I'm desperate for him to do well. Just wondering if he just may not be what we thought. A Kylian Mbappe has come on in such leaps and bounds over the same period. Many will argue Andros Townsend hasn't moved forward in a decade (just off the top of my head, not a true comparison). Both are 'talents'. I'm just starting to fear Marcus isn't what we hoped. The real special kids have started kicking on at this stage.

Last edited:

Okey

He has a tendency to just kick the ball forward and run after it. Not enough skill and intelligence for me, he’s quick and has the odd moment but he is incredibly overrated.
This! The sort of blunt but totally accurate analysis Rashford gets shielded from in mainstream punditry.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Rashford's ability has not improved since his debut in the United team.

His confidence and his physicality are the only improvements that are noticeable

Devil may care

He's green as pepper trees and it shows at times, but I didn't think he was that awful tonight, England had started to lose shape before he came on and I thought Delph should have been the sub to try and lock down the left side where Modric and Vrjaskilo or whatever he's called were causing us all the problems.

The issue with Rashford for me is the bar some have set for him, maybe his celing is a bit lower than some want but I think he can develop into a good squad player at the very least.

manunited1919

I was actually pretty surprised he didn’t do his usual from set pieces take a shot on and put it in row Z. So the fact he even tried to put it in an area for someone is an improvement in my books. The rest yeah kinda agree with, the difference between how Mbappe travels with a ball and Rashford is night and day.
The difference between Mbappe & Rashford is that one has a footballing brain, the other doesn’t. End of.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That's a bit nutty. He was poor and looked lost. Decent on the ball but seemed to be half asleep.

Rashford could (and should) have replaced Kane. Wellbeck should have replaced Sterling if he had to go off.

MooseTheMooche

Couldn’t agree more. I do think that our fan base tends to overrate most of our players (probably every fan of every other team does that, but let’s keep it within the bounds of United fan base) and look for certain traits that indicate that our lad is “the next Ronaldo”. Every time I see such comparisons, I know the lad is gonna fail big time. Zaha, Januzaj, Depay and gazillion of other players were hailed as the new Ronaldos, yet none of them really did anything (apart from a one good game).

I'm aware of his age. And I'm not basing any criticism on this tournament. I'm desperate for him to do well. Just wondering if he just may not be what we thought. A Kylian Mbappe has come on in such leaps and bounds over the same period. Many will argue Andros Townsend hasn't moved forward in a decade (just off the top of my head, not a true comparison). Both are 'talents'. I'm just starting to fear Marcus isn't what we hoped. The real special kids have started kicking on at this stage.
Mbappe is one in a billion, he is that good. He is 19 and I’ve never seen such technical ability in a teenager. The way he moves with the ball is just incredible. Rashford on the other hand never really shown what he’s really got, I think. I remember when he burst onto the scene, and there were all these articles about how good he can struck a free kick with some wicked bend on it (there was even an analysis of his technique in this article), the same way Ronnie hit them for us, the other article was stating that in behind the training doors he is incredibly good. I for one never experienced any of these things when watching Rashford play, apart from few cool flicks before the game. It would be good if he turned out to be the talent that he supposedly is, but I don’t really see it happening.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Going to be a really important season for him. Has to work his way into the first team more regularly, if not it's the loan train and that would be almost impossible to come back from after being a major part of the squad for 2 seasons.

I'm just not seeing much progression from when he joined. Obviously he's a kid, but at United - and perhaps moreso under Jose - you're not going to get time.

People love pointing out Chelsea letting go of De Bruyne, Lukaku and Salah - but realistically each of them wouldn't be where they are if they'd stayed and been second-string. Top players need to be playing 90 every week. So Marcus either has to force his way in with us, or I don't see it happening.

Definitely has more talent and ability than he's shown recently, so just have to hope he sorts himself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.