Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He was brought on at 70 minutes when Croatia were utterly dominant. He did well with the ball at his feet for the most part and created a couple of chances. Anyone expecting him to come on into that situation and immediately turn the game around is mental. Thought he should have been given more gametime in the WC generally and the England 3-5-2 setup would be ideal for him alongside Kane.
Thats not what you said initially

You are going on a completely different tangent.

Ban

As much as I'm happy for my country I'm sad for him, Young and Jesse.

Not so much for Walker and Alli. :D

haram

Rashford's ability has not improved since his debut in the United team.

His confidence and his physicality are the only improvements that are noticeable
The way he strikes the ball has evolved as well.

Abhinav

Rashford is a good young talent who needs time to develop. But honestly, future world class players, even when they are young show more than a few glimpses of their talent and look like a threat even if they don’t make the best decisions every time. I haven’t seen Rashford doing that enough, his game has stalled to a great extent over the last one year and he needs to work on making himself more effective in a wide role. A young Cristiano, Rooney, Giggs were not the end product at 20 but showed enough to persist with them. Thats the level that we would like Rashford to achieve. Else we will have another good but not great player who can play a squad role but will not elevate this team to another level.

Reactions: van der star

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anybody else think he's a better player when he doesn't actually try to use his pace?

Whenever he tries to run fast with the ball he just kicks it too far ahead of himself and loses it.

He'd be better off using little shimmies to unbalance people and then accelerate away, he's too used to being the fastest kid in the playground, but he's not actually THAT quick.

I thought he deserved a start in place of Sterling, who was generally alright until he got near goal. No guarantee Rashford would be any better but he was unlikely to be worse. Little bit of naivety from Southgate not to want to tweak a line-up that's generally working.

Smores

I thought he deserved a start in place of Sterling, who was generally alright until he got near goal. No guarantee Rashford would be any better but he was unlikely to be worse. Little bit of naivety from Southgate not to want to tweak a line-up that's generally working.
Sterling is much much better at carrying the ball forward. He has been very wasteful but i don't think Rashford or anyone else could have filled that function.

Expecting Rashford to change the game was probably a bit unfair on the lad. He's still very young and he isn't at that level yet.

Sterling is much much better at carrying the ball forward. He has been very wasteful but i don't think Rashford or anyone else could have filled that function.

Expecting Rashford to change the game was probably a bit unfair on the lad. He's still very young and he isn't at that level yet.
He is but I didn't see it much at this tournament. He seemed to be a bit isolated from the team and never really tried to take anyone on like he does for City.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Wow - I thought he did well when he came on and was more productive than Sterling has been. Each to their own I guess.
He did well when it comes to looking lost and disoriented.

Tony247

Rashford looks worse than he is when compared with Mbappe who is younger.

He needs regular game time to develop and not cameo. Yesterday he looked clueless kid in men's game, his touch abandoned him. He won't be a superstar for sure but he can be a good player. Otherwise if this continues his careers is in serious trouble.

Tony247

I think the unrealistic and unnecessary hype these pro Man Utd newspapers created about Rashford has actually hurt him. The kid looks under pressure to perform and live up to the hype.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He livened up England pretty well. They were dead on their feet. It would have been nice if he got more game time in this tournament so he could have been a little sharper for the occasion tonight, instead of just throwing him on and hoping for the best.
My thoughts exactly. It was punt but it seems like some on here were expecting him to come on and turn the game on its head.
Still moaning about a 20 year old I see...:lol:
What's new? The whistle went and this and the Lingard thread were propelled (like clock work) to the top of my watched threads. Had to laugh...

You can tell what next season is going to be like.

Trizy

One trick pony. All he has in his locker is the knock it past an opponent and run trick.
This. I've said this since his second season and have gotten slated on this forum for it.

He's only in the United squad because he's a youth product. Laughable that he starts over Martial.

He's only in the England squad because he's an United regular.

Rajma

Agree with Jose and couldn't believe yesterday that he opted for those Balloon free-kicks in dying moments when he has a very decent cross on him. I honestly only seen teams scoring from those type of crosses a handful of times in my life.

Tony247

My thoughts exactly. It was punt but it seems like some on here were expecting him to come on and turn the game on its head.
If he can't be a threat then he shouldn't be at world cup. What was the idea of bringing him on in world cup semi final, for practice session? 50 mins game time is enough to be at least a threat if not turning game around. This is the same story with this lad since 1 year. A talented young player has lost his game and confidence.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Lots of silly comments. Most of the time he got the ball, he was facing his own goal and was pretty much forced to dribble from the halfway line with no-one close to him. I saw him make plenty of dangerous runs yet all our midfielders refused to pass it to him - although, I don't blame them as they don't have the ability to pick out a pass of the required quality.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't do anything of note in the Croatia game or in the tournament as a whole. Best thing he did was miss that goal vs Belgium to give us an easier route. Sterling was much better their defence was scared of his pace.

Boycott

He still young and all but every time I see him play I question his attitude.
You must have missed his reaction when the referee blew his whistle. That was not the sign of a player whose attitude isn't right. Head down into the turf and having to be consoled.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Some harsh criticism. When he came on, England gave up playing and were relying on hoof balls. When Sterling went off, Kane dropped deep and England's tactic was play long ball over the top to use Rashford's pace and it didn't work.

He didn't have much impact but he started only 1 game in world cup and looked good in that game, rest all few mins here and there.

El Jefe

It's really not that difficult to understand. He's only 20 and the responsibility than he's been given for United and England is just too much for a kid of 20. He's extremely raw and its clear he still requires a lot of coaching.

Both England and United expect him to come on or start and be the difference maker. I'm still fairly sure he can be a great player for us but I don't think we'll see this until he's 23. The likes of Mbappe are special and extremely rare.

Tony247

It's really not that difficult to understand. He's only 20 and the responsibility than he's been given for United and England is just too much for a kid of 20. He's extremely raw and its clear he still requires a lot of coaching.

Both England and United expect him to come on or start and be the difference maker. I'm still fairly sure he can be a great player for us but I don't think we'll see this until he's 23. The likes of Mbappe are special and extremely rare.
Agree.

He was sent into the high pressure game ahead of more experienced and clinical finisher like Vardy. It was injustice for both.

But I don't want to blame Southgate. He is building team for future and this experience will help Rashford. I just hope people and newspapers will tone down hype around him and leave him alone to develop at his own terms and time.

minoo-utd

You must have missed his reaction when the referee blew his whistle. That was not the sign of a player whose attitude isn't right. Head down into the turf and having to be consoled.
I saw it. So what?
I meant his attitude with the ball to be more specific he is not good enough looking like he careless just wants to keep running with no brain.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Some people on here are mental.

We actually looked like we had 11 on the field when he came on, Sterling had done nothing all game.

Did he do much ? Nah but he put in a couple good deliveries from set pieces, won us some free kicks in dangerous areas made good runs generally and had a nice moment where he dribbled into the box and had no support for a final ball.

The things I see people moaning about came from him receiving the ball high up the pitch surrounded by more than one defender and he has just tried to use his pace as a means of getting out of losing possession. It didn't come off but I'd rather Croatia then gather the ball in their own half or have to restart from a throw than dispossess Rashford on the half way line.

In short, he did more in 20 minutes than I can conceivably remember Sterling doing in the entire tournament.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He made his name as a penalty box predator or short burst of pace into minimal space from within 20 yards of goal; since playing wide all he does is kick and run. He has some very decent attributes, like his striking of the ball, but he really needs to play without his pace if he’s ever going to develop comprehensively.

Sounds outrageous, but sign him up to a futsal club to learn the basic principles of dribbling and tight control without space to chase into.

Welbeck would have been a much better option throughout the tournament than him and Sterling - his awkwardness is purposeful, rather than pure inadequacy; Sterling was ultimately lauded in this tournament for (badly) doing the things Welbeck and Heskey have been historically slaughtered for.

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
Some people on here are mental.

We actually looked like we had 11 on the field when he came on, Sterling had done nothing all game.

Did he do much ? Nah but he put in a couple good deliveries from set pieces, won us some free kicks in dangerous areas made good runs generally and had a nice moment where he dribbled into the box and had no support for a final ball.

The things I see people moaning about came from him receiving the ball high up the pitch surrounded by more than one defender and he has just tried to use his pace as a means of getting out of losing possession. It didn't come off but I'd rather Croatia then gather the ball in their own half or have to restart from a throw than dispossess Rashford on the half way line.

In short, he did more in 20 minutes than I can conceivably remember Sterling doing in the entire tournament.
Think you're the mental one, fella. His set piece delivery was abysmal. Sterling was miles better and miles more dangerous last night.

All of the above is not Rashford's fault though. Both should have been on the pitch at the same time to try and force Croatia back. Sterling for Rashford was a cop out change and was always going to have very little effect on the ebb and flow of the game.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Think you're the mental one, fella. His set piece delivery was abysmal. Sterling was miles better and miles more dangerous last night.

All of the above is not Rashford's fault though. Both should have been on the pitch at the same time to try and force Croatia back. Sterling for Rashford was a cop out change and was always going to have very little effect on the ebb and flow of the game.
He floated in two from memory, one of which we should have done better with after getting a head on it, second we should have had a corner owing to Lovren having to put it out.

"Abysmal"

AR87

For a forum which so often champions the virtue of youth and kills Mourinho for allegedly not trusting in it, the reactions to a 20 year old not playing well as a sub in a World Cup semi-final is amusing. The rationale that Mbappe is at a different level therefore Rashford is pants and will never become more than a speed merchant barely tracks either.

I saw Rashford struggle to hold the ball up with his back to goal, something we all know he currently sucks at. I saw that for whatever reason he was often tasked with this duty because Kane was dropping far too deep in search of the ball and attempting to play hero ball killer passes.

I also saw him come on and immediately take his man on and get a cross into a danger area and later taking on Rakitic and skinning him to win a free kick in a dangerous area that Kane should have finished.

Idk, but to me he's still a young player trying to work things out. At 20 years old this still isn't all that concerning to me.

Bwuk

Should of started ahead of Sterling who was utter pants after the group stages.

nycender

Really hope we don't rid ourselves of Marital for this lad. Just never convinced of him when I watch him.

shield

Thought he played quite well. May not be as good as Mbappe, but I am happy with what he brings. Quality player.

Minimalist

-50 points for being the sad twat alongside Lingard trying to score while the Croatians were celebrating. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.