Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Look at NFL defensive backs and receivers. A sport and more specifically positions where the only thing that matters is speed and agility, and you will not find many professional footballers who are more agile, or straight line faster than top of the food chain NFL'ers in those positions and these are not men who are giants for power positions. These are guys who are bigger and heavier than your typical footballer, and are selected for via their position for raw speed and agility since they don't need to be agile with technique for dribbling. They just need to be agile.
I know about the NFL players incredible fitness but do they play the same amount of mins/game as a footballer ? I have no idea for sure but I doubt it tbh. So footballers have to take stamina more into account IMHO so there has to be a balance between speed/agility/stamina

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why people want him to be even more muscular? I'm fine with the way how he is right now, the most suitable body muscle for Rashford who relies so much on his pace will be Eto'o's body. Rashford got good movement and also very quick, he should be trying to get away from his markers or defenders not trying to out muscled or shoulder to shoulder with defenders.
He should be trying to improve his finishing, be even quicker, train his left foot (if possible) & also improve his long range shooting and free kick to be more deadly. He should plays his strength don't try something that is not his strength.

Nucks

RT History Department
I know about the NFL players incredible fitness but do they play the same amount of mins/game as a footballer ? I have no idea for sure but I doubt it tbh. So footballers have to take stamina more into account IMHO so there has to be a balance between speed/agility/stamina
Adding 20 pounds of muscle wouldn't impact his ability to play 90 minutes I don't think. He's skinny right now, and he isn't out there running marathons. He's walking around for 90 minutes with short bursts of high intensity. According to my google-fu, he's about 154 pounds. That is TINY. He could easily go up to 174-180, and just be a more powerful, explosive version of himself, without compromising his endurance much at all.

Nucks

RT History Department
Why people want him to be even more muscular? I'm fine with the way how he is right now, the most suitable body muscle for Rashford who relies so much on his pace will be Eto'o's body. Rashford got good movement and also very quick, he should be trying to get away from his markers or defenders not trying to out muscled or shoulder to shoulder with defenders.
He should be trying to improve his finishing, be even quicker, train his left foot (if possible) & also improve his long range shooting and free kick to be more deadly. He should plays his strength don't try something that is not his strength.
More muscular? He isn't muscular, he is lean, but at 5'11 and 154 pounds, he's absolutely tiny for his height.

kouroux

Adding 20 pounds of muscle wouldn't impact his ability to play 90 minutes I don't think. He's skinny right now, and he isn't out there running marathons. He's walking around for 90 minutes with short bursts of high intensity. According to my google-fu, he's about 154 pounds. That is TINY. He could easily go up to 174-180, and just be a more powerful, explosive version of himself, without compromising his endurance much at all.
He isn't skinny. I think you're exagerating completely. The kid is in great shape for a young footballer but that is what he is, a kid who will grow and be naturally bigger.
It will compromise his endurance without a doubt if he does what you said. Better to wait for him to get naturally bigger.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Just to be clear, you do realise how much 20 pounds of muscle is?

Nucks

RT History Department
Just to be clear, you do realise how much 20 pounds of muscle is?
Yes, I should probably disclose that I played American football at college (technically Canadian analogue), and at 18 I was 6'4, 195 pounds, and at 21 I was 215 and ran a 4.68 40, with about a 9-11% body fat. So, I'm pretty well versed in what it takes to put on muscle.

Rashford is a very skinny mesomorph, who is probably trending slightly on the ectomorph side of things. With the nutrition he can afford, and the time and effort he could put into filling out his frame, he could put that 20 pounds comfortably in 12 months, but I'd suggest he do it over 2-3 years for performance reasons. I added 20 pounds of lean muscle over 3 years, but I was also pretty big when I was 18 and when you've already added a lot of muscle, the gains become obviously much more difficult.

Nucks

RT History Department
He isn't skinny. I think you're exagerating completely. The kid is in great shape for a young footballer but that is what he is, a kid who will grow and be naturally bigger.
It will compromise his endurance without a doubt if he does what you said. Better to wait for him to get naturally bigger.
When you're 5'11 and 154ish pounds, you're skinny. I'm sorry, this isn't a cultural north american vs european thing. You're just skinny. Yes you can be shredded and lean as hell, but 154 pounds on a 5'11 frame is skinny.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yes, I should probably disclose that I played American football at college (technically Canadian analogue), and at 18 I was 6'4, 195 pounds, and at 21 I was 215 and ran a 4.68 40, with about a 9-11% body fat. So, I'm pretty well versed in what it takes to put on muscle.

Rashford is a very skinny mesomorph, who is probably trending slightly on the ectomorph side of things. With the nutrition he can afford, and the time and effort he could put into filling out his frame, he could put that 20 pounds comfortably in 12 months, but I'd suggest he do it over 2-3 years for performance reasons. I added 20 pounds of lean muscle over 3 years, but I was also pretty big when I was 18 and when you've already added a lot of muscle, the gains become obviously much more difficult.
Football is nothing like American football, though; more muscle isn't necessarily what's going to help him finish his chances. He does just fine as he is getting into dangerous positions and getting into great goalscoring opportunities. The only thing holding him back is his touch, finishing and decision-making, none of which muscles won't do anything about. I think he'll naturally get stronger, but he doesn't need any drastic changes, especially when they can add a risk of injuries.

If he was getting bullied out there and easily shoved off the ball, you'd maybe have a bigger point but it's just not the case.

tonnas

Power and mass are related but one doesnt have to get bigger to be more pwoerfull. Rashford is fine as he is, he can maybe bulk SLIGHTLY more but he doesn't need to. I am sure all utd players do powerlifts with their strenght and conditions coaches. Though we have lots of fitness experts here!

Sorry but you're just wrong here.

He could put 20 pounds of muscle on and be faster, more agile and stronger in the gym, but not on the pitch. A footballer has to perform close to their maximum all through the game and extra muscle just becomes extra weight as the muscles begin to tire. What an NFL player does is irrelevant because they get to rest every 30 seconds or so. When i played at a decent level just a couple of kilograms either way was noticeable, and the longer the game went on, the more noticeable it was.

Rashford has pretty much the perfect physique for a footballer now. You might have run a 4.68 40 yard dash but you wouldn't see which way he went if you were in the 60th minute of a football match with him.

tenpoless

You can tell He's just as hard working as Ronaldo when it comes into physique. He was skinny and knew He had to get stronger to cope with PL defenders. Good lad.
We have a fitness coach, don't worry about him getting too bulky. I doubt He's a depay a.k.a getting muscles just for the sake of getting muscles.

kouroux

When you're 5'11 and 154ish pounds, you're skinny. I'm sorry, this isn't a cultural north american vs european thing. You're just skinny. Yes you can be shredded and lean as hell, but 154 pounds on a 5'11 frame is skinny.
The problem is that you're looking at it from a number POV but all you need to ask yourself is "does Rashford get regularly bullied from a physical POV ?" and the answer is no for me. Sure he'll struggle against certain strong CBs but overall ? Nah, he's fine and he's young. He will grow and get bigger without worrying too much about it.
Football is nothing like American football, though; more muscle isn't necessarily what's going to help him finish his chances. He does just fine as he is getting into dangerous positions and getting into great goalscoring opportunities. The only thing holding him back is his touch, finishing and decision-making, none of which muscles won't do anything about. I think he'll naturally get stronger, but he doesn't need any drastic changes, especially when they can add a risk of injuries.

If he was getting bullied out there and easily shoved off the ball, you'd maybe have a bigger point but it's just not the case
This is what it comes down to for me.

Bwuk

Rashford is proof that confidence is huge in football. Under Ole he’s our first choice forward, the manager has confidence in him and isn’t going to drop him, and we are reaping the benefits.

I remember arguing on his thread last season that Rashford tried too hard to impress, because he either had to play out of position or be on the bench.

He’s not attempting anything he hasn’t always attempted it’s just coming off for him because his confidence is high.

Regardless of whether Ole gets the job or not, if he can get Rashford playing like this till the end of the season then Ole has been worth his weight in gold.

kouroux

Rashford is proof that confidence is huge in football. Under Ole he’s our first choice forward, the manager has confidence in him and isn’t going to drop him, and we are reaping the benefits.

I remember arguing on his thread last season that Rashford tried too hard to impress, because he either had to play out of position or be on the bench.

He’s not attempting anything he hasn’t always attempted it’s just coming off for him because his confidence is high.

Regardless of whether Ole gets the job or not, if he can get Rashford playing like this till the end of the season then Ole has been worth his weight in gold.
He really did that a lot, the whole running with the ball out of play hasn't happened since Ole has come.

Bwuk

He really did that a lot, the whole running with the ball out of play hasn't happened since Ole has come.
Yeah it’s just confidence. The talents always been obvious with Marcus, it wouldn’t of panned out this way under Jose though.

Gomes

Yeah it’s just confidence. The talents always been obvious with Marcus, it wouldn’t of panned out this way under Jose though.
This doesn't make any sense. Next he is going to score from one of his pointless 10 longshots that he makes a game and say it is because confidence.

NYAS

Also, how can anyone look at him and genuinely think he’s 5”11? That’s clearly an outdated height floating around Google. He’s more like 6”2.

Man Utd 0:2 PSG

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
One of few who can held his head high. Basically our only attacking threat, and you know people are scared when he has the ball, even players like Buffon and Silva. He is actually surprising me with his hold up play even against PSG defenders.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Overall, while he worked hard, I thought he was poor. His passing and first touch in particular seemed to be off.

Bojan11

Needs to improve his movement inside the box if he wants to score more goals.

el3mel

Thought he got completely outmuscled by their defenders and especially Silva.

tomaldinho1

Hard to judge him as after Martial and Lingard went off, he basically played vs their entire back 4 all night with no joy. Can't even remember him having a shot.

mewnew11

He and the whole team looked nervous today. You could make that out in the body language. I hope this game was a good lesson for him

Jacob

He seems to think too much of himself sometimes, loosing the ball very easily.

Devil may care

Worked hard, the #3 cnut should have been sent off for the fouls on him, but I thought he lkoked over eager on the ball and rushed the simple things tonight.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Their CB was allowed to bear hug him at will. Rashford, under a competent ref, would've got him sent off.

Welbeckham

Did some good work, bit nervous in the first half and his team-mates couldn’t really do him much favours in the second.

Canagel

Really tried his best. His work pressing and running into channells was really good.

kundalini

I'm a huge Rashford fan but that was an awful performance. Someone needs to explain to him that if he is to be our central striker then he has to offer some sort of threat when crosses go in; far too often he isn't even in the vicinity. Near post, far post, in the middle of the goal, anywhere that gives him a chance of scoring.

Charles Miller

Only when we lose.....
Not talking about specific games or results. He is a young player, will have bad games. I'm referring to things like people comparing him to Mbappe, for example. Did you see that thread? Its cringe.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not talking about specific games or results. He is a young player, will have bad games. I'm referring to things like people comparing him to Mbappe, for example. Did you see that thread? Its cringe.
Have you even bothered to read that thread? Majority of the people have said Mbappe is better, I don't see what's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.