5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Spades

None of this is true. His touch is certainly worse than Martial and Greenwood. He was certainly not as good as Martial or Greenwood yesterday either.
No, it is true. His touch is not worse than Martial and Greenwood, and he was just as good as both of them yesterday.

Raven

No, it is true. His touch is not worse than Martial and Greenwood, and he was just as good as both of them yesterday.
Maybe we judge performances differently but it's impossible to say Rashford has a better touch than Martial and, to a lesser extent, Greenwood because it's so blatantly not true.

Ace of Spades

Maybe we judge performances differently but it's impossible to say Rashford has a better touch than Martial and, to a lesser extent, Greenwood because it's so blatantly not true.
Nope, the only impossible thing to say is that his touch is worse than Martial or Greenwood as that is not true. His touch is not worse than either of them, no matter how much people like to pretend it is.

As for his performance, he could have had two assists, plus a penalty. His link up with Shaw was very good, and that created another good opportunity that Bruno failed to hit the target with. Just because his role has changed does not mean that his performance was any worse than the others. Pretty much all the starting attackers are playing well, and all of them are important to the team.

Thisistheone

His first time ball to play in Martial was superb. Excellent vision and he is becoming more of a creative force for us.

Rolaholic

Exactly my point when I see him get ragged on for scoring less since the restart, our attack as a whole is on fire regardles, his overall game has improved a whole lot.

He looks a much more well rounded player at the moment and has been more unlucky than anything when it comes to scoring, he's done just about everything else well.

Raven

Nope, the only impossible thing to say is that his touch is worse than Martial or Greenwood as that is not true. His touch is not worse than either of them, no matter how much people like to pretend it is.

As for his performance, he could have had two assists, plus a penalty. His link up with Shaw was very good, and that created another good opportunity that Bruno failed to hit the target with. Just because his role has changed does not mean that his performance was any worse than the others. Pretty much all the starting attackers are playing well, and all of them are important to the team.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on the touch.

It was Martial linking up with Shaw to create Bruno's chance bud.

Edit: I meant to say that I agree that all of our attackers are important to the way we're playing but you're conning yourself if you think Rashford has been anywhere near the other 2. Having said that, Rashford's been decent.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's obvious too watching him play. He is playing more like a playmaker than goalscorer. He has played some excellent passes and he is making full use of Shaw's overlapping runs.

-Supreme-

He's looked more composed and matured in his game, most importantly plays with his head up and often try to play a pass instead of running at players or shoot from distance

This provides the team with far better balance in the attacking transitions now we have Greenwood and Bruno in the team.

Zen86

I was thinking this last night. He’s looking more mature as a player recently, with Greenwood kind of taking the Rashford role. He’s less one dimensional now.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's not scoring as freely as he was pre lockdown, but still majorly contributing to the team, both on and off the ball.

His passing is quite underrated it seems. Not just his pass to Martial, but he's shown numerous times that he can spot a pass.

I'm happy with his performances. The goals will come.

Sylar

His contributions to the team have been great. Some of his quick incise passes into the box have been great, and seeing Shaw overlap is great. A goal from open play would be great, but its hard to complain when hes assisting and were scoring 3+ goals a game so far.

KennyBurner

He should have had an assist and a goal. Martial let him down by trying to be too fancy with the chip. He also let himself down by not scoring that chance from pogba late in the game. Overall I’m happy with his performance in the second half. It’s great that he can miss opportunities and not be criticized as much because we won by a comfortable margin. This must be how sterling and other attackers at city must feel when they don’t get on the scoresheet or assist.

jesperjaap

To be fair to Van Gaal, don't think he did anything wrong where either of them were concerned; pretty sure both played whenever they were fit. But Mourinho never seemed to fully trust either of them and rotated them in and out way too much.
One of the things annoyed me with Van Gaal in general was moving players from positions they were doing well in. Martial started up front- moved to the left. DiMaria started well in midfield-moved to the wing, Blind started well at the bast of midfield- moved to defence

Strelok

Exactly my point when I see him get ragged on for scoring less since the restart, our attack as a whole is on fire regardles, his overall game has improved a whole lot.

He looks a much more well rounded player at the moment and has been more unlucky than anything when it comes to scoring, he's done just about everything else well.
Yeah his game is more rounded now. Especially his passing, on another level compared to pre break I think. However his decision was still a bit off sometime, very few though.

Anyway I'm really happy with his performance. Him not scoring may give people impression that he's not playing well enough but that's not true at all.

He's low on confidence in the box. Neville called it yesterday when he said that Rashford was playing too wide. I think he's reduced his usual bursts into the box because he doesn't fully believe in himself there.

But on the positive side, he's still contributing more than his fair share.
I disagree with Neville there. I think it's a tactical change by Ole, he’s asked Rashford to be less direct and keep the width while out of possession, creating chances with vertical incisive passing while Shaw drifts inside. This is a big change to pre-Bruno Rashford when he was on the edge of the box, constantly attacking between the full back and CB while being our driving force.

It looks like Ole has instructed Rashford to be our creator in the team alongside Bruno and Pogba, while now Greenwood is the one driving consistently between the LB and CB. I believe it’s a tweak in the system that has been worked on and Rashford is adapting well.

Reactions: roonster09

Eddy_JukeZ

I disagree with Neville there. I think it's a tactical change by Ole, he’s asked Rashford to be less direct and keep the width while out of possession, creating chances with vertical incisive passing while Shaw drifts inside. This is a big change to pre-Bruno Rashford when he was on the edge of the box, constantly attacking between the full back and CB while being our driving force.

It looks like Ole has instructed Rashford to be our creator in the team alongside Bruno and Pogba, while now Greenwood is the one driving consistently between the LB and CB. I believe it’s a tweak in the system that has been worked on and Rashford is adapting well.
Rashford himself liked a tweet that alluded to this.

RedStarUnited

Im not buying this Rashford the creator stuff. I just think he is low on confidence and isnt yet fully back fit. He had a serious back injury so I am willing to give him a few more games before I really judge him.

Handré1990

Im not buying this Rashford the creator stuff. I just think he is low on confidence and isnt yet fully back fit. He had a serious back injury so I am willing to give him a few more games before I really judge him.
Apparently he was brought up as a 10 in the academy. Not outside the realms of possibility. He should’ve had at least 4 more assists after the restart, he’ll be fine.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His game is evidently changed, confidence or not. Nothing you have to "buy", its clear to see. We have more goalscorers in the team so he can stay deeper and wider to help create while still getting in chances himself, just less emphasis on needing to go on huge plays on his own.
Besides, he had an excellent game vs Villa.

He'sRaldo

Bruno has taken over his role as the primary risk taker and ball loser in the final 3rd. Can't have too many of those or the team becomes unbalanced, so I guess his instructions are to play with a little bit more restraint.

The Rashford of old would be taking longshots from anywhere and dribbling on sight. Now he's choosing more "correct" passes.

Based Adnan

His role has changed but he's also either still rusty or lacking confidence as far as finishing goes. Despite the role change he's had a few good chances he's completely shanked or over dribbled. Hoping it's just cobwebs.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Buying it? He isn't trying to trick you, and neither is anyone else. Try to watch the game properly and you can judge him instantly on what he does or doesn't do, instead of not paying attention and judge him on something that might just be irrelevant. It's clear as day he has had instructions to switch his game up, similar to Pogba. Just because he plays the same position as before doesn't mean his role within the team hasn't been changed a bit to fit other players. That's not to say it's the reason for him not scoring or an excuse it's simply about the team balance.

I happen to think Rashford has played really well. One of my big criticisms of Rashford was how he spent the majority of the time when his runs didn't lead to anything etc. He has been a bit of a one trick pony at times but this season different aspects of his game has developed nicely, and right now he seems to be getting in good positions without losing the ball. He seems to be a bit more creative in his passing from standstill, knowing the attack isn't over just because the space in front of him is gone. He is more unpredictable in his decision-making and it's certainly helped him create for others even if he hasn't been at his sharpest when others have created for him. His understanding with Shaw has been better too.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Goal or no goal, assist or no assist, it's still Rashford. One of the best players We've had in the past several years. The goals will return. Trying out different tactics is good, you need that as a team. If he is our weakest link then thank god for having a weak link as good as Rashford.
After watching Falcao falling on his arse near the box, Rooney forgetting his shooting boots, Ashley Young the width provider, Valencia backward pass to Juan Mata on the right hand side, Lingard the chance creator and Depay the world class winger who is only world class in Europa League and these happened over and over again to the point that I could just imagine them replaying when closing my eyes, I'm happy.

Rashford the playmaker sounds 500x better than those.

acnumber9

That’s nice of you.

KennyBurner

He had 2 assists and a goal since the restart. He should have had 2 assists and a goal from the last game. One from AWB and another from martial. Whether you believe it or not he has actually been a playmaker since the restart. Obviously a change in role by management given we want to be more dominant on the ball as a team. Ole has probably instructed him to be more reserved with his attacking runs and to instead look for the available pass.

Haven’t you noticed he has stopped the pointless running into defenders at least twice a game he was previously doing earlier in the season? He has actually become more mature and efficient in his decision making. Personally I prefer this version of rashford because it’s better for our style of play. Playmaker when in possession with the speed to attack quickly in transition.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He had 2 assists and a goal since the restart. He should have had 2 assists and a goal from the last game. One from AWB and another from martial. Whether you believe it or not he has actually been a playmaker since the restart. Obviously a change in role by management given we want to be more dominant on the ball as a team. Ole has probably instructed him to be more reserved with his attacking runs and to instead look for the available pass.

Haven’t you noticed he has stopped the pointless running into defenders at least twice a game he was previously doing earlier in the season? He has actually become more mature and efficient in his decision making. Personally I prefer this version of rashford because it’s better for our style of play. Playmaker when in possession with the speed to attack quickly in transition.
He is also staying wide to provide width and create space for Pogba and Bruno. Apart from assists, his link up play with Shaw is very good, which wasn't the case before.

In Rainbows

Apparently he was brought up as a 10 in the academy. Not outside the realms of possibility. He should’ve had at least 4 more assists after the restart, he’ll be fine.
Our biggest talents have been 10s in the academy. They just had different approaches to the position. Ravel, Januzaj, Rashford, Gribbin, Gomes, Greenwood, and Shoretire.

It makes sense that Rashford could be a winger or forward based on the way his style was in the academy in a way where I could not see someone like Gomes or Gribbin do that job.

The Red Thinker

Rashford doesn't have to leave the left side open and charge at the goal anymore.

He has the game intelligence to make fantastic passes and make the right runs at the right time. Can you imagine how frustrating this must be for opposition teams? You know he can turn it on and blitz you towards goal, but he chooses to stay back and make cutting edge passes for the forwards.

He is a proper winger now. Though, I'm not sure I like this much. Rashford was ascending to Ronaldo levels of destruction before he got injured. Shooting from range and terrorizing Right Backs.

I want to see a balance. I want to see him do these wonderful passes, but I also want him to have a more of a crack on goal. Like he did towards the end against Villa. I'm guessing these are specific instructions for Rashy.

Last edited:

E-mal

Whilst I like that he is becoming more creative, I want him to score more please. Having many goal scorers in the team reduces the burden on our no 9. You need a brace from open play Marcus.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Rashford doesn't have to leave the left side open and charge at the goal anymore.

He has the game intelligence to make fantastic passes and make the right runs at the right time. Can you imagine how frustrating this must be for opposition teams? You know he can turn it on and blitz you towards goal, but he chooses to stay back and make cutting edge passes for the forwards.

He is a proper winger now. Though, I'm not sure I like this much. Rashford was ascending to Ronaldo levels of destruction before he got injured. Shooting from range and terrorizing Right Backs.

I want to see a balance. I want to see him do these wonderful passes, but I also want him to have a more of a crack on goal. Like he did towards the end against Villa. I'm guessing these are specific instructions for Rashy.

Maybe what Ole meant by that is, he's talented enough not to be a one trick pony. As a wide forward, if you rely on only one trick, it will get find out and you will be rendered useless. I'm liking his combination with Shaw where he doesnt need to beat his man to beat the defence, a simple through ball to your left back and it's already a danger to the opponent.

RedStarUnited

Buying it? He isn't trying to trick you, and neither is anyone else. Try to watch the game properly and you can judge him instantly on what he does or doesn't do, instead of not paying attention and judge him on something that might just be irrelevant. It's clear as day he has had instructions to switch his game up, similar to Pogba. Just because he plays the same position as before doesn't mean his role within the team hasn't been changed a bit to fit other players. That's not to say it's the reason for him not scoring or an excuse it's simply about the team balance.

I happen to think Rashford has played really well. One of my big criticisms of Rashford was how he spent the majority of the time when his runs didn't lead to anything etc. He has been a bit of a one trick pony at times but this season different aspects of his game has developed nicely, and right now he seems to be getting in good positions without losing the ball. He seems to be a bit more creative in his passing from standstill, knowing the attack isn't over just because the space in front of him is gone. He is more unpredictable in his decision-making and it's certainly helped him create for others even if he hasn't been at his sharpest when others have created for him. His understanding with Shaw has been better too.
Him improving his passing has nothing to do with his role changing though, he is playing in the same spaces he played before the injury. When I said im not buying it, thats what I meant.

He runs at defenders less - good cos he was never a great dribbler. He always had a really good cross on him, one of my biggest complaints about him before the restart was that he never crossed enough.

Web of Bissaka

Since this restart, I think he's playing more like a side midfielder than a winger, nor forward.

More passings and team play than trying to score.

I'm not worried one bit - he's going to be back scoring goals-galore. No immediate necessity for him to be one now as the goals spreads to the whole team. If not this restart then next season.

More importantly, he's going to be a complete all-around attacking player, that can play in any of the attacking positions. Maybe one day he'll play as #10.

If I recall right, Marcus once said in his debut season that playing #10 is his favorite position.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
His role has changed but he's also either still rusty or lacking confidence as far as finishing goes. Despite the role change he's had a few good chances he's completely shanked or over dribbled. Hoping it's just cobwebs.
2 offside goals, things would be different if those counted. His finishing is still there he's just been very unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.