5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red00012

You do realize that right off a serious back injury he's been thrown into an intense schedule with barely any recovery? Because he's not looked as unplayable as he did before his injury, he should 'stick to charity' instead?
It’s the basics he can’t even do right though

Falling Over a ball on a 1 v 1 inside the box is because of lack of recovery ?
Basic passes , dribbling literally everything he tries isn’t coming off.

It can’t all be blamed on thrown in At the deep end .

Pogba was out for a similar amount of time I don’t see him making the same obvious mistakes ?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
We need to be able to take him off/drop him without it being a big deal. Right now, for whatever reason, we can’t.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
It’s the basics he can’t even do right though

Falling Over a ball on a 1 v 1 inside the box is because of lack of recovery ?
Basic passes , dribbling literally everything he tries isn’t coming off.

It can’t all be blamed on thrown in At the deep end .

Pogba was out for a similar amount of time I don’t see him making the same obvious mistakes ?
I fail to see how you went from 'he's had a bad couple of games' to 'he should stick to charity'. But maybe that's just me - not engaging you anymore on this.

Tiber

I have been really hard on Rashford for weeks. But its only because he is so damn good and so much better than this. People doubting his skill and quality are crazy

LoneStar

Bar the Palace game he has been dogshit since lockdown. Such a frustrating player to watch when he's not on it and the first 5 minutes usually tells you how the rest of his game is going to go. Terrible today.
Pretty much. His highs are great, but his lows are compete dogshite. Great players will still give a 6/7 performance on their bad days, but he sometimes goes to a 3/4. Really needs to start being consistent and do the basics right.

Since the lockdown he has been a completely different player though. Two things that defined Rashford for me : 1)Great energy, always put in a shift and harassed the opponents 2) Always (to a fault) tried to take on his opponents and beat them. Strangely, he’s not been doing both since the lockdown. Not sure if it’s the back problem or something else.

ali8karimi

I think his recent performances were average/bad bc he has lost muscular mass since his injury and seems to lack stamina.
Before he got injured he was our most important attacking threat and people were bashing Ole to rush him against Wolves, now some are calling him Gashford.... Crazy.
Top player, hope he uses the next weeks to get back physically

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We need to bring someone in who will challenge him for a place in the team. Sancho will definitely do that and with how things have gone since the restart it would be Sancho, Martial and Mason as the front 3.

youngrell

Had a tough run and been very frustrating but it’s plain wrong to say he’s been awful since the restart. He’s been different, for sure, and has had a few very bad games but he’s also played well a handful of times too.

He doesn’t seem to have any connection whatsoever with Williams, and while it’s not Brandon’s fault that Marcus is making bad decisions often, he is better when Shaw plays and offers him more space to operate in.

Those claiming he doesn’t care are so way off the mark it’s incredible.

Kostov

I love Rashford and he infuriates me often for the simple reason that I know he can do better. Thing is he will never be that undisputed player who never gets subbed like Ronaldo for example, we need to be able to replace him when he is off his game and not drop of a cliff in quality.

izec

He isn't fit. Can guarantee you he plays with pain.

The real Rashford is different and plays much better. Last year he was injured as well, got rushed back and was shit. After a break, ge was back again. Same now with the back injury. He isn't fit.

Ole and the medical staff are just average and Ole risked his injury before. Now the damage is done.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think this is just Rashford's current level which is the reason why I have said before despite of scoring more than 15 league goals, his level is still below and nowhere near Mane & Salah, he needs to improve to help us next season which I think he has the quality to go further. Rashford will have 5-10 games where he looks like worldie, and another 5-10 games where he looks so bad.

He was bad in the first 5-10 games until the Liverpool game in October he started be more consistent to beginning of January. Injured in January, back during the re-start, wasn't sharp enough at the start, had poor half of the games (after restart) & had good half of the games (after restart) & poor when we need him to step up in Europa League.

I start to think if we sign Grealish, he might end up as our regular LW because he can give Rashford few bench time if he doesn't be more consistent and improve his game, that's how much we need Rashford to improve right now.

thaddy

Being at united now for 5 years you would think he would be something special. I just cant see him reaching up to the likes of Rooneys level, more like Welbecks. Hes going down the same path as his best mate Jessie. I dont buy into he needs a rest at all, his fitness in training must be good or he wouldnt be playing. His first touch is just as bad as Lukakus.

Fracture90

Why are people referring to his back injury and overall conditioning? He looks fine to me, he's doing his usual stuff but his decision making is an issue. He makes the wrong decision more often than not and that's his main issue.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I'm a big fan of of Rashford's but he's really quite inconsistent ain't he?
I would say he's as inconsistent as the roles he's given in the first team. There's a big difference between being a choice in all three attacking positions, on paper, and being able to perform at the highest level whatever the circumstances. Furthermore, he's still developing as a footballer, he's not the finished article yet. In this sense, he will always need time to adjust to new roles/instructions.

Watching him this season, it comes as no surprise that his best performances came when he was starting on the left but constantly looking to cut inside and receive the ball in the half spaces between the lines. From there, facing the goal & and going 1v1 -while running with the ball- against the opposition FB, that's his favourite game, the one that suits his pace and his forward instincts best.

His formed dipped when he was asked to play as the lone man upfront with no Bruno and no wingers to support him. His back injury didn't help either but i doubt he'll ever become the type of forward who will look to receive the ball with his back to goal and who will thrive on the half-turn by linking up with others.

Since the restart, his role has changed from that of the inverted forward to the one of the inverted winger. He starts his moves deeper and he is the one who must hug the sideline and provide width on the left. But he's neither a wide play-maker nor the Hazard-type of winger who will open up spaces for his teammates by drawing defenders to him and then dribbling past them. At least not yet.

His technique is also pretty good when he's on the ball and running at defenders. He has difficulties when he must make things happen from a standing position and far away from the box. He's predictable in these situations because the defender can allow him to run down the wide channel, knowing that he will have to bring the ball back to his right foot. So, he needs options and we're trying to offer him some: Shaw/Williams on the underlap, Bruno/Martial moving close to him etc. Thing is these are secondary attacking options, meaning we must establish control of the proceedings in the attacking half for them to occur. When we can't, Rashford usually looks bad on that left side of ours.

Tbf to him, he's trying his best and he's enjoyed some good games there since the restart. But it's been mostly games in which we managed to get all of him and Bruno, Pogba and Greenwood high up the pitch in interesting positions between the lines. In other words, in games when he had support. Something similar has happened with Greenwood too. As long as we can create opportunities for him to go 1v1 and finish, he looks like the best talent in the world but when he actually has to play as a winger, he goes awol for huge parts of the game.

We'll see how it goes and how someone like Sancho can influence our atracking plays. On one hand, the tactical decision to alter his role to stretch the pitch for the benefit of Pogba and Bruno finding pockets of space in the central channels has bore our best results since the season began. On the other, Rashford's role now looks similar to the one Mourinho had imagined for him (with the exception of being, first and foremost, a provider for a target man in the box, of course). This remark is just an observation, i'm not insinuating anything...

Anyway, he may get better in this role in time. But until he reaches the desired level, his performances will always depend on how well the players around him perform and on how much support he'll receive from them. He can be a crucial player for us but not a focal point yet.

Bondi77

How he stayed on the pitch for so long baffles me as he was terrible.
At least if we get Sancho in we will be able to hook one of the front three if their level reaches the pits like Rashford did.

Skills

Snitch
We need another left footed player in the team. Him and Mason should've swapped

Tony247

I am not a big fan of Rashford but I think at this moment he is indispensable while we are rebuilding. We are already short of about 20 goals to even consider to be challenging for the title. Rashford is somewhere a dozen goals a season (EPL alone). Can't afford to replace him just yet and increase the goal deficit to more than 30.

However, I hope next season Ole will use him wisely and not blindly and loyaly picking him in every match regardless of his form or opposition.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I’d say some middle ground is needed in this thread. He’s currently not as bad as some make out but nor is he as great as others make out.

One thing is for sure, we need another player of quality for that position. Rashford needs to be kept on his toes and not be an automatic starter, that situation is good for no one. A challenge may be just what he needs and as a team, we need more viable options.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Last night cements for me why we need grealish or another attacker plus sancho. We can’t be carrying players out of form.

-Supreme-

I’m fine with players out of form but they simply shouldn’t be delivering 3 or 4 ratings, one off game is fine but when I see him putting out performances like this for a number of games in a row is simply not good enough.

deadonhi

Willy
Last night cements for me why we need grealish or another attacker plus sancho. We can’t be carrying players out of form.
Exactly. Not ideal having a dodgy defence but if our attackers converted more of the numerous chances we create we'll score more than the opposition. Goals win games as they say.

Craig Ward

Looked like he hasnt kicked a ball in years. Looked shattered after the first half.

Not having his usual influence and made some pretty poor decisions with the ball.

Lost his spark.

Needs more recovery and highlights how much squad depth we lack.

If Ole wants that version of Rashford on - especially after about 50 minutes then we need a good look at the squad. Terrible performance - our worst player by some distance against Sevilla. Frustrating because he is so so talented and can be a match winner.

romufc

Looked like he hasnt kicked a ball in years. Looked shattered after the first half.

Not having his usual influence and made some pretty poor decisions with the ball.

Lost his spark.

Needs more recovery and highlights how much squad depth we lack.

If Ole wants that version of Rashford on - especially after about 50 minutes then we need a good look at the squad. Terrible performance - our worst player by some distance against Sevilla. Frustrating because he is so so talented and can be a match winner.
Everyone is here criticising Ole but there was about 4/5 times Rashford was one on one with the defender and couldnt get past.

There was one in the first half where Pogba put him through 2 v 2 with Martial against 2 defenders and he mis controlled the ball. A confident Rashford puts that in the back of the net.

red4ever 79

I'm hoping the only reason Ole doesnt take Rashford off, is because he has no faith in the players on the bench and not because he truly believes he is delivering performances worthy of staying on

Red00012

Everyone is here criticising Ole but there was about 4/5 times Rashford was one on one with the defender and couldnt get past.

There was one in the first half where Pogba put him through 2 v 2 with Martial against 2 defenders and he mis controlled the ball. A confident Rashford puts that in the back of the net.
Majority are not blaming Ole for Rashfords form.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's not been at it for a while. There is a case to be made for the injury but how long has it been since he returned? I'd have expected him to play into form a bit more. Perhaps this is a confidence issue, or maybe his style of play is altered so it's not as explosive as it once was.

Red00012

They are for the tactics and keeping him on for as long as he did. Ole does have a soft spot for Rashford.
I don’t disagree , he has a serious love in for him for some reason which includes not been taken off no matter how bad he is.

Tony247

I'm a big fan of of Rashford's but he's really quite inconsistent ain't he?
He is earning what 3 or 4 times more than Bruno? So, who supposed to set the performance bar high?

Boy we must have some most weird wages structure out there.

KennyBurner

Why are people referring to his back injury and overall conditioning? He looks fine to me, he's doing his usual stuff but his decision making is an issue. He makes the wrong decision more often than not and that's his main issue.
Finally a post with sense. The excuse is always his back injury. A better excuse would have been fatigue.

I just don’t think he is suited to possession football. He can’t think quick enough and makes lazy passes when trying to be a playmaker. I also don’t know what his natural position is because he isn’t a great winger or left forward. I’m thinking he might be best working in a 2 man strike force.

Stretender

Finally a post with sense. The excuse is always his back injury. A better excuse would have been fatigue.

I just don’t think he is suited to possession football. He can’t think quick enough and makes lazy passes when trying to be a playmaker. I also don’t know what his natural position is because he isn’t a great winger or left forward. I’m thinking he might be best working in a 2 man strike force.
People get defensive about him because of his local lad status.If we want to compete with City and Liverpool we must put best players on the pitch, and buy more quality players. No one should be guaranteed a place in the team,they have to compete and earn it. If they don't perform well, drop them. Pep does this all the time. Get Sancho in and let them fight for places.

Tony247

That is then going back to Jose's philosophy of playing either of Martial or Rashford.

Currently it is complicated since Ole clearly wants Martial to play as 9 i.e. center forward and yet Martial mostly drifts as left-forward pushing Rashford even further wide. I genuinely believe Martial is not 9 but a left-forward who can work best in pair with another forward ala Greenwood. Martial and Rashford combination on fied means one has to sacrifice which may not work well for the team.

Ole's insistence on playing all 3 forwards at the same time means at least one of them might be playing out of his position. But I am witnessing even more worrying trend. We are playing all 3 out of their position. Rashford is left-forward playing as left winger. Martial as left-forward playing as CF. Greenwood as CF playing as right-forward. It may work sometimes purely due to individual talent but as shape of the team I do not believe it is the most efficient set up.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
People get defensive about him because of his local lad status.If we want to compete with City and Liverpool we must put best players on the pitch, and buy more quality players. No one should be guaranteed a place in the team,they have to compete and earn it. If they don't perform well, drop them. Pep does this all the time. Get Sancho in and let them fight for places.
You think it’s because of his ‘ local lad status?’
So it’s nothing to do with irrational and selective criticism he gets. This place is full of it

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Never going to be the player most fans here wish him to be / think he already is.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
When your best moment of the game is someone sliding in on your shin, you probably haven't had a very good game.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but I really don't think he should have started yesterday.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

At that exact point I thought we aren’t winning this

Status
Not open for further replies.