Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He was brilliant today, constant nightmare for the Leeds defence.

el3mel

Great skills in the goal. Needs to improve his performance though, imo.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
People just need to be patient with him. Only 21. Not every player is fully developed as a striker in their early 20's, but he keeps progressing which is all you can ask. Its transition years, but I have no doubt that he'll be a key player for us for years. 20+ goals in all competitions this year IMO, but even if he doesnt, not a disaster. Took Van Persie til he was like 25 or 26 to become a regular scorer.
I don't see the comparison — van Persie was always an enigmatic player with magical moments that needed to be more consistent, (and to spend less time injured). Rashford was incredibly prolific when he first came in and still remains quite effective (for a young player), but he isn't capable of some of the goals that young van Persie (or Ibra, who had the same career trajectory) were capable of. Martial — perhaps, especially since both van Persie and Ibra had a bit of an attitude growing up.

Great game by Rashford though! Really hope that this is his breakthrough season.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I'll be delighted to eat my words if he keeps this up for the season. The 'sacred cow' status irked me and now he's on a big contract I hope he isn't 'exempt' from criticism when it's warranted. But these signs are really promising. Actually starting to feel excited for the new season...

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I don't see the comparison — van Persie was always an enigmatic player with magical moments that needed to be more consistent, (and to spend less time injured). Rashford was incredibly prolific when he first came in and still remains quite effective (for a young player), but he isn't capable of some of the goals that young van Persie (or Ibra, who had the same career trajectory) were capable of. Martial — perhaps, especially since both van Persie and Ibra had a bit of an attitude growing up.

Great game by Rashford though! Really hope that this is his breakthrough season.
I don't see anything from Martial that is enigmatic like RVP. He's the polar opposite, you know exactly what he will do.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Similar to his goal against City where he nicked Demichellis

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I'll be delighted to eat my words if he keeps this up for the season. The 'sacred cow' status irked me and now he's on a big contract I hope he isn't 'exempt' from criticism when it's warranted. But these signs are really promising. Actually starting to feel excited for the new season...
Likewise. Really well taken goal that.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Not similar in style, but just saying that it's not rare for a young striker to be an inconsistent goalscorer at a young age, even in his 20's. I'd also definitely say that "a player with magical moments but inconsistent performances" applies for both Martial and Rashford. It's not like he's at his peak now, his peak would be showing consistent form over a long stretch instead of just for 4-5 games like he does at times (like opening month or 2 with Ole).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He will deliver, I'm sure of that.;)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is a running machine. Needs to learn when to conserve energy and when to run like a maniac. Once he masters that he'll be more technically prepared in tight situations instead of being tired and making lazy flicks or just bad decisions. Love him though, and looks like he is ready to continue his progress this season. We'll just have to hope he can fulfil his potential sooner rather than later. Has to be more consistent than last season.

OsloRed

Honestly, he's streets ahead of Martial as a striker.
If you have to ask, you're streets behind.

And, yeah, agree with that, but I'm not gonna judge Martial too harshly based on preseason games. He has been pretty bad, though.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He is a running machine. Needs to learn when to conserve energy and when to run like a maniac. Once he masters that he'll be more technically prepared in tight situations instead of being tired and making lazy flicks or just bad decisions. Love him though, and looks like he is ready to continue his progress this season. We'll just have to hope he can fulfil his potential sooner rather than later. Has to be more consistent than last season.
You've said it all really.

Would only add that his mentality and overall approach to the game is quite something for me. He seems "hungry" and focused all the time! Mistakes he makes are just a remainder that's he's still player in the making but his dedication to learn and improve is always there!

haram

Rashford - Greenwood - Sancho

Within two years, make it happen.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You've said it all really.
Would only add that his mentality and overall approach to the game is quite something for me. He seems "hungry" and focused all the time! Mistakes he makes are just a remainder that's he's still player in the making but his dedication to learn and improve is always there!
I agree. You never know what level he would be at without that dedication, he might not even be good enough so we have to be patient and appreciate his journey to the top, because thats clearly what he is aiming for, and that is so admirable.

I was just thinking that. Gomes, Pogba and Garner or McTominay behind them.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The issue with Rashford is his good games can be good but his bad games are really bad. This is why I said he needs to take advantage of moments by making the right decisions. I like Martial but I feel Rashford has a higher ceiling. I think Ole could be his perfect mentor.
That’s my point really, he’s young and finding his feet but he’s our biggest threat. He doesn’t have a Sane/Sterling to bail him out if for some reason it’s a tough day.

Nobody can question his desire to improve though, top mentality.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He will make a lot of fans on here eat crow. I remember many on here saying he is not good enough and couldn’t be relied on as our main striker next season. Can’t wait to see him prove them wrong

deafepl

un balanced formation. I'd prefer Sancho in LW (Right footed) - Rashford (Maturity and possible stronger holdup play) - Greenwood (left-footed, stronger weak footed)

Greenwood can make runoff Rashford's holdup play up and rotate with Rashford during the games and allow Sancho to be creative in the third final and cutting from left with his stronger foot. That frontline is capable of interchanging through the game and giving more flexible in frontline formation, let it be 4-3-2-1, 4-3-3, 4-3-1-2.

Art

Art the artist
He will make a lot of fans on here eat crow. I remember many on here saying he is not good enough and couldn’t be relied on as our main striker next season. Can’t wait to see him prove them wrong
Yep. He'll score 20 and assist 5-8 imo.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
At the top of his game, he's devastating. Ruthless. There's a reason why De Ligt mentioned him out of the sea of names.
I can only imagine with a high-intensity training with younger players challenging him it can only drive him on.
Hopefully, he stays away from Lingard this season and gets the 30 goals he so easily can this season.

Dazzmondo

That goal was amazing! Looked fantastic in the highlights. Really happy with the way he's looking going into the season.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Great goal but should have passed it imo. Those tricks don't come off often enough against top sides.
Disagree. He was in a 1 v 1 situation and he had the momentum. I think he's entitled based on his confidence and how he was playing. He could have past it and over hit it or under hit it. I much prefer personally to see a striker take responsibility on. Where he did excellent, was with the pass to James however (when he hit the post), for me that was the right decision. Often it's about moments and picking your moments and I think he did that well tbh

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People just need to be patient with him. Only 21. Not every player is fully developed as a striker in their early 20's, but he keeps progressing which is all you can ask. Its transition years, but I have no doubt that he'll be a key player for us for years. 20+ goals in all competitions this year IMO, but even if he doesnt, not a disaster. Took Van Persie til he was like 25 or 26 to become a regular scorer.
Said before but I think after Mbappé, he’s the best young striker in the world. Think he’ll get around 22/23 this season and then from the next one, we are looking at a 35-40 goal striker for a few years once he’s put his game together.

Also, Perdue was always a regular goalscorer I think, injuries were his problem. He was getting around 1 in 2 in his first years at Arsenal, the only problem is he was playing 20 games a season at the time.

Quality player he was though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Said before but I think after Mbappé, he’s the best young striker in the world. Think he’ll get around 22/23 this season and then from the next one, we are looking at a 35-40 goal striker for a few years once he’s put his game together.

Also, Perdue was always a regular goalscorer I think, injuries were his problem. He was getting around 1 in 2 in his first years at Arsenal, the only problem is he was playing 20 games a season at the time.

Quality player he was though.
22 goals in 78 games at Feyenoord and then 43 goals in 133 games in his first 4 seasons at Arsenal! So 65 goals in 211 appearances in his first 7 seasons as a professional, a little less than a goal every 3 games. Just gotta be patient for the regular scoring to come IMO, all it is.

Not sure Rashford will ever get quite that many, but I can see him being in the low to mid 20s regularly from here on in. I do think Greenwood will take over as main striker at some point, probably not for like 5 years though, after which we'd either go 2 up top or have Rashford back on the left. But having players like Greenwood and Martial as supporting cast will mean they rotate a lot and somewhat limit how many goals 1 player can get, as once they all get settled together, they're all capable of getting 20 a season playing together in a front 3.

For a United youth product who turned 21 last season though, the hate he got was beyond ridiculous.

Raven

He's looking like a big cnut these day. Shredded as well. Both himself and Martial appear to have put on a lot of extra muscle, probably being built to play as strikers.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Disagree. He was in a 1 v 1 situation and he had the momentum. I think he's entitled based on his confidence and how he was playing. He could have past it and over hit it or under hit it. I much prefer personally to see a striker take responsibility on. Where he did excellent, was with the pass to James however (when he hit the post), for me that was the right decision. Often it's about moments and picking your moments and I think he did that well tbh
I dont know how to post my screenshots here but there was a moment where he easily could have passed it. I think he should have and developed that portion of his game

-Supreme-

His form dropped off in a bad way in around the 2nd PSG leg last season, but he's looking back to his best now thankfully. This is what happens with young players, was silly for some to write him off. He's not going to be consistently brilliant yet, he will drop off again.
He delivered 2 months of good performances over the course of the season, so I'd say his form has peaked for a short period and reverted back to his usual level.

VJ1762

He delivered 2 months of good performances over the course of the season, so I'd say his form has peaked for a short period and reverted back to his usual level.
True. Don't put much stock in these pre-season friendlies anyway. I would like to see him perform at a high level for a full season, before changing my opinion of him. Which is, he is highly inconsistent and does not have the tools to be a Man Utd no 9. Too often, his performances fluctuate between a -1/10 and a 7/10. A Man Utd No 9 must have a ceiling of 9/10 and a floor of 6/10. We so need a player like RVP right now. He is the blueprint for how a Utd striker should play. I am hoping Mason develops into that kind of a player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
True. Don't put much stock in these pre-season friendlies anyway. I would like to see him perform at a high level for a full season, before changing my opinion of him. Which is, he is highly inconsistent and does not have the tools to be a Man Utd no 9. Too often, his performances fluctuate between a -1/10 and a 7/10. A Man Utd No 9 must have a ceiling of 9/10 and a floor of 6/10. We so need a player like RVP right now. He is the blueprint for how a Utd striker should play. I am hoping Mason develops into that kind of a player.
So what you’re saying is, a footballer who was 20 years old this time last year went on to have an inconsistent season. Surely not?!?

Let me tell me right know, you’re going to be massively disappointed with Greenwood if this is as patient as you’re willing to be with young players.

SER19

I'm going to jinx him. But he looks ready. I think it will be a great season

Status
Not open for further replies.