Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
My defence of Rashford is this; if he makes 10 runs no-one from midfield spots him or plays the ball into a good area.
Hence he stops running to stretch and then everything gets messed
I agree.

Forwards tend to get the glory but without quality midfielders providing service to them they just can't succeed.

I don't think Rashford is getting the service and in turn I feel that is affecting his confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xaviboy

Needs to playing Left or Right wing. Not good enough as number 9 and with his back to play. Needs to be facing forward to bring out his best ability which is pace dribbling at the defender.

Oldyella

Needs a break. He's in terrible nick, but because the squad is so thin is having to play through it. Think a spell on the bench when Martial is back will do him good both form wise and attitude wise.

FattyFooty

Too much being asked of him. Chaos behind him, goal-scoring burden squarely on his shoulders, everyone baying for blood. He's 21. A midfield that can pick a forward pass and a striker to share the burden and he'll be fine. I feel sorry for him. I don't think there's anything wrong with his attitude.
Feel sorry for him?

He is a professional footballer, at least treat him like one.

vangagal

My defence of Rashford is this; if he makes 10 runs no-one from midfield spots him or plays the ball into a good area.
Hence he stops running to stretch and then everything gets messed
Stupid defense. If this kind of mentality Rashy has, better get out of this club already.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Feel sorry for him?

He is a professional footballer, at least treat him like one.
What does that mean? 'No sympathy for the over-paid twats' school of thought? I'm as unhappy with the current state of affairs as anyone. Human beings are complicated. Should I just write him off? As I say, his attitude seems fine to me, he's shown plenty over the last 3 years to suggest he's got what it takes, he's all over the shop at the moment, like everyone in the club. I'm not ready to bin him yet.

Maz the Sea Lion

I find it absolutely nuts that there are people on here defending the indefensible....just look at his scoring record and then take a look at his salary. He earns considerably more than almost all other strikers in the league and is no more prolific than Danny Welbeck at scoring goals.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
That is because he was treated like shit the moment Ole stepped a foot in. Rashford dislodged him as #9 straight away and Lukaku continued to play 2nd fiddle before earning his place back in the side. He scored 3 braces in a week (Southampton, Palace and PSG) but after missing a sitter the following week at Arsenal he was dropped immediately.

Ole can speak all about Lukaku's poor attitude and how he shouldn't be here but he was the one who created a scenario and allowed it to happen. Ole's immediate treatment of Fellaini and Lukaku told us few things which we didn't think a lot of, at the time. He got rid of those two as they weren't a 'United player', a term which had been bandied for years and years to describe those two.

Now, you have Ole telling us that we are a striker short and it doesn't take 'rocket science' to understand that. Funny, how days after selling Lukaku and Sanchez he was happy telling us how we have two young players in Martial and Rashford ready to score bulk of goals, and a prospect in Greenwood whose gametime he doesn't want to impede by buying a new striker... 6 weeks later we're going for the same 33yo striker who wasn't even on our shortlist until few days before the window closed :lol: It's just clueless and shambolic management.
Yep, he definitely made it abundantly clear Lukaku was to be second fiddle. Should have kept him onside and made him feel wanted until at least they found a replacement.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
To be honest, every manager has few preferences on the type of players they like. Ole is no exception to that, he didn't like Lukaku? Fair enough, but at least identify a replacement before sanctioning the sale? The thing which gives his clueless management away is that we were linked with absolutely no CF all summer long when it was evident that Lukaku was on his way. Links to Sean Longstaff, Maguire, Wan Bissaka surfaced even before James rumors and through out the summer we were constantly linked to these players by credible journos. But nothing on CF front, there were a report in Le Equipe on Ben Yedder but that was it.

Only time we were actually negotiating a deal with a CF was when Juventus offered us a swap deal for Lukaku. That was a hail-mary as we were being offered a player in Dybala who was absolute top quality. But THEN Ole decides, hey how about Mandzukic too? Can we have him as well. I mean... take out the muppetry involved in that Dybala-Lukaku swap plus Manduzkic and it just reeks of bad management and poor recruitment strategy. The player was never on our agenda until he became available (because if he were, we'd have known about lucrative wage demands and troublesome image rights) but we wanted both anyway. In the end when it was apparent that neither are coming, we decide to sell Lukaku anyway. If that wasn't enough we decide to loan Sanchez out AFTER the window had closed :lol:

I mean, the writing was on the wall back then also but too many folks lapped up 'he's clearing out the deadwood'. No he wasn't, he was simply reshaping the squad according to his preference and in the process also contributed to 'deadwood' for next manager by renewing likes of Young, Jones, Pereira and Mata.

Well if I could be bothered I could go through this thread of last years and over the summer around his contract renewal time, with the amount of posters saying 'Rashford is the least of our problems'. And now look... So predictable. Turns out not quite the tiny problem many thought. Very, very big problem when a football team doesn't score goals.

FattyFooty

What does that mean? 'No sympathy for the over-paid twats' school of thought? I'm as unhappy with the current state of affairs as anyone. Human beings are complicated. Should I just write him off? As I say, his attitude seems fine to me, he's shown plenty over the last 3 years to suggest he's got what it takes, he's all over the shop at the moment, like everyone in the club. I'm not ready to bin him yet.
You said you felt sorry for him. He is a professional footballer. When you play as a striker for a big team and don't deliver you will hear it.

Cliche Guevara

When Martial comes back Rashford just needs to be moved to right wing and be done with it. James can play on the left and Martial in the centre.

He’ll just have to do what he can and make whatever he can out of playing in that position.

The time for pissing about with Rashford and Martial is over. Give them a position each and that’s it. If they don’t make it this season then get them to feck and bring in a proper strike-force worthy of United.

el3mel

That is because he was treated like shit the moment Ole stepped a foot in. Rashford dislodged him as #9 straight away and Lukaku continued to play 2nd fiddle before earning his place back in the side. He scored 3 braces in a week (Southampton, Palace and PSG) but after missing a sitter the following week at Arsenal he was dropped immediately.

Ole can speak all about Lukaku's poor attitude and how he shouldn't be here but he was the one who created a scenario and allowed it to happen. Ole's immediate treatment of Fellaini and Lukaku told us few things which we didn't think a lot of, at the time. He got rid of those two as they weren't a 'United player', a term which had been bandied for years and years to describe those two.

Now, you have Ole telling us that we are a striker short and it doesn't take 'rocket science' to understand that. Funny, how days after selling Lukaku and Sanchez he was happy telling us how we have two young players in Martial and Rashford ready to score bulk of goals, and a prospect in Greenwood whose gametime he doesn't want to impede by buying a new striker... 6 weeks later we're going for the same 33yo striker who wasn't even on our shortlist until few days before the window closed :lol: It's just clueless and shambolic management.
Yep agree. I didn't like Lukaku much and slaughtered him a lot but the way Ole treated him last season was a disgrace.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
When Martial comes back Rashford just needs to be moved to right wing and be done with it. James can play on the left and Martial in the centre.

He’ll just have to do what he can and make whatever he can out of playing in that position.

The time for pissing about with Rashford and Martial is over. Give them a position each and that’s it. If they don’t make it this season then get them to feck and bring in a proper strike-force worthy of United.
Gonna be hard to get rid of either of them with that salary. Martial can find a way to contribute on this team, Rashford needs more work. His pace is not enough and defenses know him very well by now. He has to get back to being that player who could find himself in dangerous positions. He needs to improve his first touch, finishing, and crossing. If he can do that, he has a place on this team on the right or left wing. James is still very new to this team, and defense will adapt to him as well, let's see how he adapts before planning the future with him on the left wing.

0le

Rashford needs a few weeks out. The international break is now an excellent opportunity for him to rest - both mentally and physically. But I fear he will not withdraw from the England squad if he is called up.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yep agree. I didn't like Lukaku much and slaughtered him a lot but the way Ole treated him last season was a disgrace.
I'm no fan of getting rid of players for whom you don't have replacements in general. But if it makes you feel any better my mate who's an Inter fan keeps asking if we want Lukaku back. The bloke's lost whatever edge he had, doesn't look like he gives a shit any more. We don't need that attitude knocking around the squad, much rather have kept Sanchez who, whatever you say about him, was at least a grafter.

el3mel

I'm no fan of getting rid of players for whom you don't have replacements in general. But if it makes you feel any better my mate who's an Inter fan keeps asking if we want Lukaku back. The bloke's lost whatever edge he had, doesn't look like he gives a shit any more. We don't need that attitude knocking around the squad, much rather have kept Sanchez who, whatever you say about him, was at least a grafter.
As I said I slaughtered Lukaku loads of times last season, but the way Ole treated him was terrible. He was in good form finally up till PSG game and once his form dropped for one game he went straight to the bench while "Rashy" form went downhill for many many games in a row and his position was never in question. It sends wrong message to the squad and players.

HowieC

For those fervently making excuses for Rashford...

Haven’t you thought that perhaps if the stars have to align, his confidence has to be boosted by a Tony Robbins speech, he has to be aged exactly 26.47 years old and in his prime, his teammates have to place the ball within 20 cm of the swing radius of his right foot, he must be played in his ideal position of lwf/st? and the meteor must cross the sky.

He just isn’t that good? Reality check, across his whole career his goals scored ratio is now the same as Welbecks roughly, while being allowed to take free kicks and prioritized.

The same welbeck had to mark midfielders and seldom had long runs in the team. 1 in 18

AlwaysRed66

The problem with Rashford is he has been indulged throughout his career by three Man Utd Managers & the England one, that he is some sort of superstar & I think he believes it. He is 21 years old yet has played around 150 games for this club which is really impressive, yet he is going backwards & not improving at all. I have the feeling if LVG had remained manager until now, Rashford would be a far better player, although the football played by team would have been awful.

Rashford needs a kick up the behind & put in the reserves & told he needs to fight for his place. I know we are in a dire position, but frankly does he make a difference when he plays anyway. Two things will happen. One, he will sulk & demand a move, or two he will buckle down & fight for his place & become a far better player. I expect it would be the latter, because it is his home town club & he does work hard. Whatever happens, something needs to be done to salvage his career, & at the same time helping this club.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ole is at fault for his development, he hasn't developed one bit under him, if anything he is far worse than this time last year. Before on his bad day he at least had good movement in and around the box, but lately he is shit even at that.

romufc

Yep, he definitely made it abundantly clear Lukaku was to be second fiddle. Should have kept him onside and made him feel wanted until at least they found a replacement.
Why would he do that when he is not his type of player. It is like asking Klopp or Pep to stick with Andy Caroll even though they know he will not be played?

romufc

Ok, it wasn't that funny I was asking a genuine question. I knew he sold him just wasn't sure when.
It was my mistake, I thought it was the poster who initially commented about Lukaku.

I only realised after I posted it.

But anyway, when a player doesn't suit style, causes dressing room issues, big wage you cannot blame the manager for wanting to get rid.

you would question the manager and the club for not getting a replacement. But honestly, I think ole thought Rashford, MArtial will be good enough and him putting faith in some players has majorly backfired.

He probably feels let down by Lingard, Perreira, Fred, Rashford.

Noc-Z

ffs

This is absolutely what's required! Rashford and Martial are just not good enough, never will be.

It was my mistake, I thought it was the poster who initially commented about Lukaku.

But anyway, when a player doesn't suit style, causes dressing room issues, big wage you cannot blame the manager for wanting to get rid.

you would question the manager and the club for not getting a replacement. But honestly, I think ole thought Rashford, MArtial will be good enough and him putting faith in some players has majorly backfired.

No worries, I have no problem with Lukaku going the issue is not replacing him. There were options in summer.

We all feel let down by these guys :lol:

layzie702

The problem with Rashford is very simple. If I can see glimpse from my television why can’t ole see things better. The last game against Newcastle Rashford was shying away especially in the second half, when crosses were getting put in he was by the side rather than the middle, he was jogging rather than sprinting to me he was purposely trying to avoid taking any kind of responsibility.

Main striker for man united you’re having a laugh, the thing about it is as much as everyone bashed Lukaku, lakuku dispite all his critics never hid from his responsibilities and lakuku knew how to score. Rashford demanded 250k a week but fails to understand whenever you request something excessively high you better be prepared to accept and take on the responsibilities that come with it. He owes the fans an apology not with his mouth but on the pitch.

romufc

No worries, I have no problem with Lukaku going the issue is not replacing him. There were options in summer.

We all feel let down by these guys :lol:
We should have agreed.

Imagine how Ole is feeling after trusting them for a season and now his job is under threat because he has trusted the wrong players. But the thing that worries me is that he keeps playing Lingard in Cam, Perreira as RW.

RedIan

2 touches in 90 minutes in the opponents box v Newcastle....
Rashford should be our sub, to bring on to get us a goal when we need pace as the opponents tire in the last 20 minutes... now hes all we bloody have and he simply isn’t up to the job of lone striker...
its not his fault, its the embarrassing transfer activity (or lack of) in the summer. Its a sham. We are man united not pissing Rochdale...

AlwaysRed66

Why would he do that when he is not his type of player. It is like asking Klopp or Pep to stick with Andy Caroll even though they know he will not be played?
He is actually the sort of player Solskjaar needs to play the awful football he is getting the team to play. He was put in as a Mourinho type target man, & Solskjaar since permanent has been playing the same style. Been better of ditching Rashford & keeping Lukaku if we are playing this way.

romufc

He is actually the sort of player Solskjaar needs to play the awful football he is getting the team to play. He was put in as a Mourinho type target man, & Solskjaar since permanent has been playing the same style. Been better of ditching Rashford & keeping Lukaku if we are playing this way.
I think we should play a 4-6-0 formation.

We keep 70% of the ball and no surprises in guessing which team has been dispossessed most this season.

I think the team got the wrong memo... we are meant to play high press quick attacking football and counter attacking football but it seems the players are letting teams do that to us.

We've Won It All

Ole is at fault for his development, he hasn't developed one bit under him, if anything he is far worse than this time last year. Before on his bad day he at least had good movement in and around the box, but lately he is shit even at that.
Is there a serious comment? The only time Rashford has shown any prolonged form was under Ole when he first took over. He didn't develop at all under Mourinho, and Mourinho has done nothing but throw sly digs about Rashford ever since he left.

To blame Ole so definitively for Rashford's lack of progress is ridiculous and you cant prove such an outlandish claim.

HowYouDoin

Well, I am glad one thing is perfectly clear now. Rashford is a LF. Martial is a CF. Will anyone ever question that again? I still have hope for both though I still believe they are not exactly world class, even at their absolute best. But say we sign a world class RF like Sancho maybe down the road, that front line could absolutely work.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes

Ah yeah much more hilarious if I had posted it, well worthy of two laughy emojis. Of course you can blame the manager for wanting rid and not replacing a striker who scored 40+ goals that season. That was exactly what i've said in about a million posts now.

Thinking Rashford and Martial will score enough when Martial gets injured for at least about 2 months every season and Rashford's never gone above about 12 league goals is called poor management.

Canagel

This is absolutely what's required! Rashford and Martial are just not good enough, never will be.
Why do our fans still insist on pairing Rashford together with Martial? It's already quite clear Martial is few levels above and especially when comparing their striker play.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Why do our fans still insist on pairing Rashford together with Martial? It's already quite clear Martial is few levels above and especially when comparing their striker play.
Have to say I agree with you. Martial is a much more accomplished and rounded player. He's bad because he often looks like he's not trying or his head's elsewhere. But you never doubt his quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.