Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
League leader in xG now, which says something when you consider how poor we have been creatively.
You could argue that a lot of the xG have come form some individual brilliance from Martial and Rashford rather than waves of chances.

Only shows how frightening we can be once we sign the right supporting cast. We should be looking to build a team around these 2.

Craig Ward

The quote was 6 or 7 chances to score 1 goal from Glenn Hoddle, so maybe the quote is not that famous, as you have misremembered it - besides it was complete BS.

You don’t score the number of goals Cole did by constantly missing. He created so many of his own chances which many strikers can’t do there’s days.

Rashford will get more clinical, he’s still only just turned 22. He’s in good form, and long May that continue. No doubt he will miss a few sitters, everyone does.
Famous enough for you to recall though.....

Plus its not BS - Cole wasn't a "one chance one goal" type of forward, neither is Rashford. That's the point - Rashford creates lots of chances which is a positive, but he isn't clinical like the most lethal of forwards are. He will undoubtedly improve that aspect of his game though.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Famous enough for you to recall though.....

Plus its not BS - Cole wasn't a "one chance one goal" type of forward, neither is Rashford. That's the point - Rashford creates lots of chances which is a positive, but he isn't clinical like the most lethal of forwards are. He will undoubtedly improve that aspect of his game though.
No forward is a one chance one goal forward... But Cole was far more clinical then that Hoddle quote suggested.

andycolegangstainnit

Comparisons to Coley are misleading. Yes like Cole he misses a fair few chances but for me coley was a genuine 9 (in fact he didn't have the all-round ability to play anywhere else). He was a goalscorer - first, 2nd and third. His speed created many chances for himself that others wouldn't have - those he missed were usually cos things were happening so quickly. Rashford is a better all-round player but his composure in front of goal nowhere near as good. Some people above seem to think he can develop that. I hope they are right but I think it's a gift. I think we have a cracking front three and let's hope they can become as effective as those at Liverpool

Reddevil1978

He's a really good young player who's sometimes inconsistent.

But just think how good he could be when he's 25/26. Good now but hopefully great with a few more years experience.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
No forward is a one chance one goal forward... But Cole was far more clinical then that Hoddle quote suggested.
Hoddle's quote was shite at the time, and is still shite now. What it failed to mention was that everyone else finished their chances at a similar or lesser rate.

OohAahMartial

Just saw this "Against Brighton Marcus Rashford reached a top speed of 36.71 kmph (22.81 mph)." If that's true, that's insanely fast. Wonder how fast James's run was, the one that led to the cross which Rashford missed.

RedStarUnited

He could have turned a good moment to a memorable goal by making a simple pass. People will forget this by the end of the month.

Meanwhile Berbatovs setup for Ronaldo vs West Ham will live on for ever. Similar situations...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Just saw this "Against Brighton Marcus Rashford reached a top speed of 36.71 kmph (22.81 mph)." If that's true, that's insanely fast. Wonder how fast James's run was, the one that led to the cross which Rashford missed.
In the MOTD analysis, they showed the speed as he was running (For the chance James created which was headed away), caught 22.5 mph at one instance. Didn't know he went upto 22.81mph.

The speed at which Rasnford, Martial, James counter attacked was just insane.

roonster09

Scout
He could have turned a good moment to a memorable goal by making a simple pass. People will forget this by the end of the month.

Meanwhile Berbatovs setup for Ronaldo vs West Ham will live on for ever. Similar situations...

Completely different situation, when Berbatov beat the defender, he had just 2 more defenders defending, with huge space near the box with Ronaldo making the run from deep.

When Rashford beat the player, he didn't have space or angle to pass. It was easy pass to intercept, unless he saw McTominay's position near the edge of the box, which is near impossible.

Foxbatt

Completely different situation, when Berbatov beat the defender, he had just 2 more defenders defending, with huge space near the box with Ronaldo making the run from deep.

When Rashford beat the player, he didn't have space or angle to pass. It was easy pass to intercept, unless he saw McTominay's position near the edge of the box, which is near impossible.

All he needed was a tap to Beans and he would have scored. It is always difficult to score from that angle. Plus Berbatov can do things with the ball most players can only dream about.

roonster09

Scout
All he needed was a tap to Beans and he would have scored. It is always difficult to score from that angle. Plus Berbatov can do things with the ball most players can only dream about.
It would have been intercepted by the defender. It was worth a try (going for goal).

roonster09

Scout
Difference of opinion. Beans had a better chance it he had passed it at the right time.
I don't think that pass was on or Lingard would have had time to score. It would have been intercepted by the defender and there was one more defender who was just behind Lingard.

In the crowded area, going for goal was the right option, at least in my opinion.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Thank you. So much absolute shite talked about this acting like it was a simple pass for a free goal. There is no pass. It's a mash of people all in the 6 yard box, the majority of which are Brighton players. The only player who it is even possible to get it to is maybe Lingard who is then sandwiched between two Brighton players not even facing the goal and would have to pull off a world class backheel flick to do anything in his position. Likely of which would have been blocked by the 3 other Brighton players standing right there. There was no pass to be had and the far better option was to hit it low and hard and hope for a ricochet off one of the 10 people in the 6 yard box. This time the keeper got it, another time it'll be scrambled in.

RedCurry

I think some posters are micro-analyzing that one situation where he could have passed. It was in no way an easy pass.

I agree though, he needs to play with his head up more. Like those couple of passes where James found him, I don’t think Rashford would have found James in exact scenarios.

Perseus

Footballers do not run faster than this.

roonster09

Scout
Thank you. So much absolute shite talked about this acting like it was a simple pass for a free goal. There is no pass. It's a mash of people all in the 6 yard box, the majority of which are Brighton players. The only player who it is even possible to get it to is maybe Lingard who is then sandwiched between two Brighton players not even facing the goal and would have to pull off a world class backheel flick to do anything in his position. Likely of which would have been blocked by the 3 other Brighton players standing right there. There was no pass to be had and the far better option was to hit it low and hard and hope for a ricochet off one of the 10 people in the 6 yard box. This time the keeper got it, another time it'll be scrambled in.
Exactly. He tried to nutmeg the keeper and nearly did it. Keeper did really well in the last second, to close the gap.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't think he should have passed the ball but he could have tried to just smash it into Lingard as he stood right in front of the goal, it might just have ricochet from him right into the net from that distance. And if not at least it would be fun to watch.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
It's amazing how there are a section of "United fans" who always try to downplay whatever Rashford does. There was no pass there, but some can't get past their dislike against him to see that. Good post @roonster09

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Stats doesn't show the real pic. If he had finished most of the chances created for him then someone else may have had most assists. Doesn't make that he is not selfish. He rarely pass to team mates unless he is forced to most times. He always goes for goal.
It's hilarious that whenever agenda posters are countered with those pesky things like "stats and facts", then the reply is always stats don't show the real pic :lol:

Nickelodeon

I have been one of more fierce critics of Rashford. His finishing and decision making in the final third leave a lot to be desired. Don't think his public imagery with Lingard has helped his cause in that regard and that 0.0012% episode also made him appear quite arrogant and cocky.

However, the last few weeks he has seriously improved and shown that he can at least become a regular starter if not the major flag bearer for our attack. Overall, 9 goals till now shows that he's on track for 22-25 goals this season which is a reasonably good output. I hope Ole works seriously with him on his finishing because he has missed 7-8 very very presentable chances in the past 2 games and those 9 goals could've been 12-13. We came out of both games with positive results hence we can point towards his age and other positive aspects he has shown, however if he does that in a big game where we would definitely not get as many chances, he would be lambasted. I guess that's the pressure he has to take as a Manchester United striker. I'm reserving my judgment till the end of the season on him.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I enjoy watching Marcus, but it was clear he cannot lead the line. Martial does that job way better and makes our front 3 tick. The aspect he has to improve drastically is his finishing, as he is going to get chances, and a lot of easy one. Just finish those and we'd be better off, as so would his confidence.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Jesus, I can't believe you had to justify that to someone but fair play to you. Good post.

Got to say, I'm still impressed with Berbatov's timing of the pass after that skill and Ronaldo's sprint deserves so much credit too. Some may argue that the easiest move may have been to pull back to Tevez.

RedStarUnited

I don’t agree, if he scores there its because the keeper has messed up. A better player fakes to shoot and squares to Lingard for a tap in. And I've seen enough bad decisions from Rashford to know he didnt even see Lingard there to even consider the pass.

He needs to improve his awareness and decision making. His running is top notch though, especially now that Martial is around.

Aouer-United

I don’t agree, if he scores there its because the keeper has messed up. A better player fakes to shoot and squares to Lingard for a tap in. And I've seen enough bad decisions from Rashford to know he didnt even see Lingard there to even consider the pass.

He needs to improve his awareness and decision making. His running is top notch though, especially now that Martial is around.
If Ole tell him if he beat fullback to run in far post area, he must pass cutback & square when there's a player, it'll improve Rashford's decision. This is proper coaching, that's why other coaches like Pep can improve every player he has coached because they do what he wants them to do.

I think Rashford's passing is very good, some of his pass to James was our biggest chance, it took defenders out of the play with single-pass from left flank outside the box. I felt like he needs to do more and be more positive on the ball .

KennyBurner

I enjoy watching Marcus, but it was clear he cannot lead the line. Martial does that job way better and makes our front 3 tick. The aspect he has to improve drastically is his finishing, as he is going to get chances, and a lot of easy one. Just finish those and we'd be better off, as so would his confidence.
Rashford cant lead the line because he never raises his head. Similar to lingard they both enjoy running with the ball instead of playing quick one-two passes. On the wing its easier for him to be more creative because he usually runs a few meters before raising his head when he is clear of his defender. Before martial got back there were numerous times when rashford would receive the ball centrally and try to bulldoze his way through 2 center backs. It was pretty frustrating to watch. I think with time he should be more versatile when he learns to raise his head consistently.

On a side note I think it speaks negatively on our academy given our graduates Rahford, lingard, pereira etc all like to shoot on sight instead of playing intricate passes. Most of them dont have great awareness in the final third. Something we have to look more into.

roonster09

Scout
Rashford cant lead the line because he never raises his head. Similar to lingard they both enjoy running with the ball instead of playing quick one-two passes. On the wing its easier for him to be more creative because he usually runs a few meters before raising his head when he is clear of his defender. Before martial got back there were numerous times when rashford would receive the ball centrally and try to bulldoze his way through 2 center backs. It was pretty frustrating to watch. I think with time he should be more versatile when he learns to raise his head consistently.

On a side note I think it speaks negatively on our academy given our graduates Rahford, lingard, pereira etc all like to shoot on sight instead of playing intricate passes. Most of them dont have great awareness in the final third. Something we have to look more into.
Lingard don't shoot on sight, he tries to play one twos, making the runs but he just isn't good enough. Rashford's hold up play is not good, when he receives the ball he backs himself to beat the defenders, sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. Anyways he is much better as left winger and no, he doesn't shoot on sight. He has very good shooting technique and it won't be surprising if Ole wants him to try those shots so that other attackers can pounce on the rebounds if GK spills the ball, like Buffon did.

It doesn't speak negatively on our academy at all, if anything it's a credit to our academy that we have a player who is from academy and top scorer for this side. Player from academy is first choice CM, player from academy is one of our brightest CB talent and player from academy playing as LB made sure he belong at this level. Also our player from academy is leading in Golden Glove race.

You just exaggerated Rashford's weakness.

Last edited:

meamth

James possibly holding back due to the latter part of the game, players can feel their muscles losing strength. He might have higher top speed in his locker.

Can't wait to see them play again!

KennyBurner

Lingard don't shoot on sight, he tries to play one twos, making the runs but he just isn't good enough. Rashford's hold up play is not good, when he receives the ball he backs himself to beat the defenders, sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. Anyways he is much better as left winger and no, he doesn't shoot on sight. He has very good shooting technique and it won't be surprising if Ole wants him to try those shots so that other attackers than pounce on the rebounds if GK spills the ball, like Buffon did.

It doesn't speak negatively on our academy at all, if anything it's a credit to our academy that we have a player who is from academy and top scorer for this side. Player from academy is first choice CM, player from academy is one of our brightest CB talent and player from academy playing as LB made sure he belong at this level. Also our player from academy is leading in Golden Glove race.

You just exaggerated Rashford's weakness.
Lingard does shoot on sight when he is driving towards the box. You took my word too literally. Ofcourse he wont shoot it from the halfway line like pereira for instance(worst offender). 9/10 times when he has to decide between passing to an open teammate or taking the shot at goal, he always goes for goal.
Also you basically repeated what I said about rashfords hold up play not being good enough because he likes to take on multiple defenders. You then proceed to say he doesnt shoot on sight when he does because he cant process what to do with the ball under pressure. There are countless occasions when he randomly just shoots from ridiculous ranges under no pressure. Regardless of his great shooting technique the probability of them going in are very low and it would be tragic if Ole encourages him to keep doing this. because they worked a few times doesn't make it a good idea. I do agree that he is much better on the left wing but its not his natural position. He is a forward so he should still learn how to be adequate at holding up the ball. That begins with him raising his head as he runs with the ball.

Also please try and not twist what I said about our academy. I criticized the fact our attacking graduates dont value one twos and intricate plays over ball carrying which I noticed with a few players. I only listed a negative but there are a lot more positves which you have described in your own post.

roonster09

Scout
Lingard does shoot on sight when he is driving towards the box. You took my word too literally. Ofcourse he wont shoot it from the halfway line like pereira for instance(worst offender). 9/10 times when he has to decide between passing to an open teammate or taking the shot at goal, he always goes for goal.
Also you basically repeated what I said about rashfords hold up play not being good enough because he likes to take on multiple defenders. You then proceed to say he doesnt shoot on sight when he does because he cant process what to do with the ball under pressure. There are countless occasions when he randomly just shoots from ridiculous ranges under no pressure. Regardless of his great shooting technique the probability of them going in are very low and it would be tragic if Ole encourages him to keep doing this. because they worked a few times doesn't make it a good idea. I do agree that he is much better on the left wing but its not his natural position. He is a forward so he should still learn how to be adequate at holding up the ball. That begins with him raising his head as he runs with the ball.

Also please try and not twist what I said about our academy. I criticized the fact our attacking graduates dont value one twos and intricate plays over ball carrying which I noticed with a few players. I only listed a negative but there are a lot more positves which you have described in your own post.
No, I'm saying completely different thing. Because his hold up play isn't good enough, he tries to take on defenders.

There are 100s of players who shoots from distance, when you have that much shot power and technique, you always back yourself. If he is ignoring players in goal scoring position then it's a problem, if not then it's worth a try. Its not as if we are playing some intricate passing game and opening up the defenses from midfield.

Why is forward his natural position? He wasn't even striker when he was young, he was striker only a year before he broke through to first team. He was always a player capable of playing in attacking positions, not strictly CF. I don't see why he should learn holding up the ball when he is so much better as left winger and can use his attributes in a better way.

You need balance in the team, if every player just keep on passing without trying to take on defenders then we will be a team who will never score a goal. You need players to take on defenders, pull the defenders out of position, dragging 2-3 at once. You do it by making dummy runs, running with ball towards the defenders.

Wrong on Lingard too, he shoots when he drives with the ball and creates angle and tbh to him he has scored few amazing goals from outside the box.

I didn't twist anything, you said it reflects negatively on academy, I said why it shouldn't. Players like Lingard, Greenwood looks for one twos but Lingard is just not good enough to do anything apart from that. Rashford is a different player who is more direct player but then he plays few one twos, especially with Martial.

Few are blowing Rashford's selfishness, like I said he is more direct player who tries to take on players but he also played few very good passes in the game from deeper positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.