5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Righteous Steps

It might be controversial to say, but I believe Rashford is more talented and unpredictable than Sterling.

Sterling has acceleration and agility in tight spaces over Marcus (due to his smaller body and different centre of gravity) and also has had the fortune to play for a legendary manager like Guardiola, who is great at coaching players with raw talent, but in terms of technique and all-round ability, I believe Rashford can surpass him.
Mate seriously? Not a chance, Sterling is better technically and tactically, don't see how someone can say Rashford is better technically than Sterling, Sterling is a mix of Martial and Rashford in some ways, which is why he is so good, he's a level above Rashford technically closer to Martial, and tactically he's a level ablove Martial closer to Rashford if that makes sense.

Rashford can be a great player, but if not for his staggered development, I feel Martial under a coach like Guardiola would be able to compete with Sterling

DoomSlayer

Mate seriously? Not a chance, Sterling is better technically and tactically, don't see how someone can say Rashford is better technically than Sterling, Sterling is a mix of Martial and Rashford in some ways, which is why he is so good, he's a level above Rashford technically closer to Martial, and tactically he's a level ablove Martial closer to Rashford if that makes sense.

Rashford can be a great player, but if not for his staggered development, I feel Martial under a coach like Guardiola would be able to compete with Sterling
I seriously disagree, but as stated, I'm aware that many people might find my opinion controversial.

KennyBurner

It might be controversial to say, but I believe Rashford is more talented and unpredictable than Sterling.

Sterling has acceleration and agility in tight spaces over Marcus (due to his smaller body and different centre of gravity) and also has had the fortune to play for a legendary manager like Guardiola, who is great at coaching players with raw talent, but in terms of technique and all-round ability, I believe Rashford can surpass him.
Its not controversial because its very true. Most people know that sterling doesn't have the best technique in regards to shooting. Rashford surpasses him here. What he does have over rashford is football IQ. they are both brilliant athletically but rashford again has the upper hand. With experience and being surrounded by better players rashford too will develop football IQ and will surpass sterling.

Having great shooting technique is timeless for an attacker.

KennyBurner

What?! I dont want to shit on sterlings shooting technique but its not as good as you think. he scores lots of goals because of his ability to get in goalscoring positions consistently. he misses loads of easy chances for city because more often than not his technique lets him down.

DoomSlayer

Its not controversial because its very true. Most people know that sterling doesn't have the best technique in regards to shooting. Rashford surpasses him here. What he does have over rashford is football IQ. they are both brilliant athletically but rashford again has the upper hand. With experience and being surrounded by better players rashford too will develop football IQ and will surpass sterling.

Having great shooting technique is timeless for an attacker.
Completely agree with you. I also think Rashford can become a better all-round passer than Sterling. The stuff you said about development and environment to do so is exactly what my thoughts on the subject are.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What?! I dont want to shit on sterlings shooting technique but its not as good as you think. he scores lots of goals because of his ability to get in goalscoring positions consistently. he misses loads of easy chances for city because more often than not his technique lets him down.
Technical ability isn't all about shooting, it's also about being able to work in tight spaces, how well you can trap and manipulate a ball, how good a player's passing is etc. It's essentially how great a player is in possession and currently Sterling is ahead of Rashford in that criteria. That isn't to say Rashford isn't a good technical player or can be better than someone like Sterling, but right now I'd disagree that he's as good technically.

el3mel

At similar age as Rashford or may be even younger Sterling was part of Liverpool trio who were about to win the league. He's far, far away from Rashford.

Aouer-United

I've been watching City games for years with my City supporter friend, you are deluded for thinking Sterling is much better technically than Rashford because he can operate in tight spaces well but it wasn't, he gets a lot dispossessed and mess up a pass often. Is it because he's short and has low gravity allows him to operate so well in tight space? He's no Hazard and Messi, he is not skilful, he uses acceleration to beat people which will count as dribble but locking on him with two-player closing on to him, he's completely useless and passes backwards as a safe option.

Sterling has much been better tactically than Rashford with decision making and movement but he's not superior to Rashford in term of technique. As you said he can do in tight space doesn't mean he's much better technically than Rashford.

Kemizee

You are correct!

VJ1762

At similar age as Rashford or may be even younger Sterling was part of Liverpool trio who were about to win the league. He's far, far away from Rashford.
We don't have a striker like suarez tbf. And Sturridge was playing like a monster too. Even Gerrard was playing like he had a new lease of life, before completely falling apart.

That said, Sterling is levels above Rashford, no doubt about that.

RedCurry

That is so misleading. Liverpool had Luiz fking Suarez scoring 30+ league goals and Sturridge who also scored 20+ league goals to help them compete for the league.

Sterling's best return in the league for Liverpool was 9 goals. Rashford already beat that last season and is very likely to comfortably beat that this season as well.

el3mel

That is so misleading. Liverpool had Luiz fking Suarez scoring 30+ league goals and Sturridge who also scored 20+ league goals to help them compete for the league.

Sterling's best return in the league for Liverpool was 9 goals. Rashford already beat that last season and is very likely to comfortably beat that this season as well.
Just because the other 2 were great it doesn't mean he wasn't great also, that's really a weird argument, and goals aren't everything for a winger, especially at 19-20 years old, and when you have 2 main strikers to get the goals themselves, a similar case to Firmino who, as a striker, never managed more than 15 goals in league for Pool so far, however still an indispensable player for the,. He's a better goal scorer now, but at similar age to Rashford he was already a very good player in a team that was about to win the league. City didn't pay 50m for nothing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Sterling was quality that season, his finish wasn't great but every other aspect of his game was fantastic.

RedCurry

Just because the other 2 were great it doesn't mean he wasn't great also, that's really a weird argument, and goals aren't everything for a winger, especially at 19-20 years old, and when you have 2 main strikers to get the goals themselves, a similar case to Firmino who, as a striker, never managed more than 15 goals in league for Pool so far, however still an indispensable player for the,. He's a better goal scorer now, but at similar age to Rashford he was already a very good player in a team that was about to win the league. City didn't pay 50m for nothing.
The weird argument was that just because Sterling was part of a trio which competed for the league, he must've been better than Rashford. When you are part of the front three in any team, goals and assists might not be everything but they are most often the biggest stats. Firmino, Drogba aren't a norm but exceptions to the rule.

Rashford at 22 has clear deficiencies to his game but so did Sterling. Who is exactly better at 22 is impossible to call because it comes down to qualitative factors during different time periods. In terms of numbers there is nothing between them.

It is easy to say Sterling was always destined for greatness in the hindsight due to the player he is today. But replace Sterling with Rashford in the 2013-14 Liverpool team and they'd still finish at least second in the league. Alternatively, replace Suarez with fat version of Lukaku and Sturridge with Sanchez or Lingard and that Liverpool team would struggle to reach top four even with Sterling.

Remember the geese

But replace Sterling with Rashford in the 2013-14 Liverpool team and they'd still finish at least second in the league.
I think Rashford will go on to become a really top player, but comparing current Rashford to an 18/19 year old Sterling isn't a particularly fair comparison.

el3mel

The weird argument was that just because Sterling was part of a trio which competed for the league, he must've been better than Rashford. When you are part of the front three in any team, goals and assists might not be everything but they are most often the biggest stats. Firmino, Drogba aren't a norm but exceptions to the rule.

Rashford at 22 has clear deficiencies to his game but so did Sterling. Who is exactly better at 22 is impossible to call because it comes down to qualitative factors during different time periods. In terms of numbers there is nothing between them.

It is easy to say Sterling was always destined for greatness in the hindsight due to the player he is today. But replace Sterling with Rashford in the 2013-14 Liverpool team and they'd still finish at least second in the league. Alternatively, replace Suarez with fat version of Lukaku and Sturridge with Sanchez or Lingard and that Liverpool team would struggle to reach top four even with Sterling.
Sterling was a better player than Rashford at the same age though. I said he was part of a great trio which means he was an integral part of a title challenging team, not just he was "present with them" unless you weren't watching games back then and are just looking at who scored more goals. He wasn't a very good goal scorer, but he was a top quality winger that offered much to the team and made City invest that much money in him.

I don't know what other teammates have to do with comparing the qualities of any two players. Feels like this is the ultimate excuse that comes down whenever we say player X is better than one of our players. Suarez and Sturridge didn't make Sterling look better. He was already good enough. His goals scoring record improved under Pep but it doesn't mean he wasn't quality back then in several aspects.

Rashford may improve over time but Sterling was, is and will probably stay being better.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I never was happy with striker Rashford project. And i stand by that. He is not a striker and never will be( i am talking about Man Utd level, not some mid table level).
I just love Rashford when he is playing inside left forward and i am pretty sure that on that position he can become one of the best in the world.

About his flaws( which are still the same as in last season); finishing will come, i am not worried about that. But coaches just must start working with him on his decision making and vision. I don't mind when attacker shoots when he is in penalty box so it is all good when he does that( like after that dribble against Brighton) but he kills so many attacks with either not playing simple pass to player or not seeing free player in better position at all.

Oh yes, and i see that he started to use his left foot which is great. He needs to do it more often.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He was tearing it up on the left side when we were 4-0 FC in the peak Mourinho days. Mourinho should have seen this coming a long time ago.
He did hence he didn't play him through the middle...

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It's an interesting comparison because there's a striking resemblence between Rashford now and Sterling before his breakthrough season at City, hopefully we can't look forward to a similar trajectory.
Got to give credit to Rashford who seems to be delivering with a worse support cast than having the likes of Silva, De Bruyne et al feeding you.

Cassidy

Actually if you turn to Mourinho's 4/5 months, he was starting Rashford centrally instead of Lukaku.
Isn't that because Lukakus form fell off a cliff, and he didn't rate Martial through the middle? Jose has always said Rashford is best from the left

VJ1762

Got to give credit to Rashford who seems to be delivering with a worse support cast than having the likes of Silva, De Bruyne et al feeding you.
You are not seriouly arguing that Rashford is comparable to Sterling are you? Sterling is an elite level attacker, while Rashford is still only potential, who frustrates the hell out of you.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Isn't that because Lukakus form fell off a cliff, and he didn't rate Martial through the middle? Jose has always said Rashford is best from the left
Fair enough, I knew Mourinho always rated Rashford but it wasn't clear to me that he really knew he what he was doing with him. It was more or less playing him because how committed he was. There were games where he'd just play him centrally and he'd look a bit weak for the role.

MyOnlySolskjaer

You are not seriouly arguing that Rashford is comparable to Sterling are you? Sterling is an elite level attacker, while Rashford is still only potential, who frustrates the hell out of you.
I imagine you were you saying this about Sterling when he was 22? When people were comparing him to the Hazard's and Sanchez's.

Not comparing them right now anyway but what I was saying is I definitely see parallel with their developments at age 22. I'm just stating that Rashford seems to be doing it with a worse support cast.

Cassidy

I imagine you were you saying this about Sterling when he was 22? When people were comparing him to the Hazard's and Sanchez's.

Not comparing them right now anyway but what I was saying is I definitely see parallel with their developments at age 22. I'm just stating that Rashford seems to be doing it with a worse support cast.
This is one of the keys

Righteous Steps

Completely agree with you. I also think Rashford can become a better all-round passer than Sterling. The stuff you said about development and environment to do so is exactly what my thoughts on the subject are.
I don't think you pay attention toi Sterling if you think Rashford an be a better passer, your evidence is based on very little.

Righteous Steps

Sterling was a better player than Rashford at the same age though. I said he was part of a great trio which means he was an integral part of a title challenging team, not just he was "present with them" unless you weren't watching games back then and are just looking at who scored more goals. He wasn't a very good goal scorer, but he was a top quality winger that offered much to the team and made City invest that much money in him.

I don't know what other teammates have to do with comparing the qualities of any two players. Feels like this is the ultimate excuse that comes down whenever we say player X is better than one of our players. Suarez and Sturbridge didn't make Sterling look better. He was already good enough. His goals scoring record improved under Pep but it doesn't he wasn't quality back then in several aspects.

Rashford may improve over time but Sterling was, is and will probably stay being better.
Its silly to argue, compare them at 15, Sterling was better, compare them at 17-18 Sterling was better, literally at every stage of his development Sterling has been better. Sterling was always a top talent, comparable to Sancho, Rashford has never shown the same level of prodigy, this is just the simple facts.

Righteous Steps

Nope, because Sterling was operating as a number 10 a lot of the times, Rashford hasn't shown the same level of tactical and technical ability to thrive in the same position at the same age.

Rashford can be a world class striker no doubt, but even at 18 Sterling was showing the signs of someone who could potentially win the B'allon D'or when Messi and Ronaldo were on the decline, hence him winning the Golden Ball and etc, two different levels of talent, Martial is really the one with the innate and natural ability to match Sterling, even more so in my opinion, tactically though and mentality wise he is a bit behind, which is why Rashford has over taken him, Sterling has the right mixture of the best of both players.

DoomSlayer

I don't think you pay attention toi Sterling if you think Rashford an be a better passer, your evidence is based on very little.
Apparently Rashford was playing as a 10 for a lot of his youth career, though someone with more knowledge about that should confirm it if it's true ir not.

Also, I've been watching Rashford and he has a very good long pass in his locker, something I haven't seen from Sterling, so as I said, becoming a better all-round passes is a possibility for Marcus.

0le

He seems to have found his form since Martial has returned and he has started to play on LW again. Very similar to Nani in that he creates chances, even if he isn't always as consistent as we'd like.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

I disagreed. Sterling was already a very good player under Brendan. He runs funny but his decision making on the final third was already light years above Rashford at the same age. Unless if you're just into flashes of brilliance that Rashford sometimes pulled off.

Last edited:

meamth

Sterling is more like Hazard, Rashford is like Ronaldo wannabe, but he's good.

Both are different type of players.

But Sterling is one of the best ball carriers today, able to twist and turn unpredictably in tight situations. Rashford cantc do that.

meamth

I never was happy with striker Rashford project. And i stand by that. He is not a striker and never will be( i am talking about Man Utd level, not some mid table level).
I just love Rashford when he is playing inside left forward and i am pretty sure that on that position he can become one of the best in the world.

About his flaws( which are still the same as in last season); finishing will come, i am not worried about that. But coaches just must start working with him on his decision making and vision. I don't mind when attacker shoots when he is in penalty box so it is all good when he does that( like after that dribble against Brighton) but he kills so many attacks with either not playing simple pass to player or not seeing free player in better position at all.

Oh yes, and i see that he started to use his left foot which is great. He needs to do it more often.
Spot on. Saw his brilliant run last night, he should've shot it with power.

But he hesitated, lost the ball. Good thing that is something he can improve!

VJ1762

It is nice to see he is doing something for the community. Homelessness is a problem everywhere, and he is contributing to tackling it. We often hear about how these multi-millionaires live in a bubble, so it is good to hear stuff like this.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It is nice to see he is doing something for the community. Homelessness is a problem everywhere, and he is contributing to tackling it. We often hear about how these multi-millionaires live in a bubble, so it is good to hear stuff like this.
Multi millionaires do love in a bubble, it's only when they're footballers they're expected to put something back into the community and live humble lives.

The rest of the City bigwigs go about their business,amassing wealth, with impunity.

Double standards? Of course not

Status
Not open for further replies.