Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
There is no real "insight" in this post, which is a real shame, the poster seems to be "irrational" with his rhetoric and fundamentally "indignant" with a player that's come through the United youth team and has "contributed" more than almost anyone else in the current team.
Nice one mate, however I was hoping you’d contribute more than just “he’s shit, but he’s our own polished shit so we must love him”. Thanks for the effort though.

haram

He plays like someone that thinks they’re a lot more skillful than they actually are. He lacks the intelligence on the field to manipulate the game without the ball.

He might press like a headless chicken but his urgency and work ethic off the ball in the final 1/3 is school boy level. He rarely is creating any angles and most of the time dwells on the ball making poor decisions. The odd time he attempts a take on, or if we’re lucky, a long range toe punt aiming for top row.

There’s no arrow head ‘point’ to his game play. There is no impetus. There is no real ‘danger’ with a lot of things he does. I have fleeting moments where I see a 17/18 year old Ronaldo for us but then it’s just mostly some kid that got hyped up too much in the playground

Having said all that - we have no choice but to back him. He’s one of our only attacking starting players. Give us a decent season in our fight for 7/8th place
This is all wrong.

SoCross

this season will be invaluable for Rashford in terms of his development and maturity alongside Martial and a few others.

the Glazers should have backed Ole properly.... obviously we shouldn't be going into a season where Rashford/Martial have to play every game. We needed a replacement for Sanchez/Lukaku and even a loan for Icardi would have been great but the one silver lining will be the experience our young attackers will get
Experience will be invaluable but we really are throwing them into the deep end. Some swim...

Precisely. When he was playing alongside Kane who's an experienced head. The pressure is off Rashford to do everything and he performs better.
Definitely helps! This is not an excuse, Rashford needs to up his game . But it’s not his fault that United are super dependent on him for goals . You can’t expect him to be a consistent goal scorer at his age.

-Supreme-

So it isn't Rashford's fault that...

1. He is rubbish for United and lets put all the blames and responsibility to our manager
2. He is rubbish for United because he isn't playing with better players comparing to his England team
3. He is rubbish for United because PL oppositions are far more competitive than international games
4. He is given a huge contract that he clearly was forced to take all this money and we should all treat him as squad player in terms of our expectations
5. His club managers haven't been able to get the best out of him
6. He has been played out of positions
7. He has been poor and "injured" since the Liverpool game in February last season and Ole mismanaged him as he forced Rashford to play through a bad "injury"

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It’s not me being arrogant it’s my opinion, I believe in football World class Talent can’t be learned, you’ve either got it or you haven’t. Perhaps it’s to do with united fans overrating rashford from the start but to me he will always be the potential man. I’m not hating on him but He’s just a largely average, very very occasionally decent player but will never be world class no matter how his brain matures.
I agree he probably will never be world class, but it would be a huge failure if he never grows past being a 'largely average, very occasionally decent' player. There's a very large range between there that the majority of players at the top club reach.

He should be reaching a level somewhere in the range of Cole, Yorke, Solskjaer and Saha. Not necessarily world class (although Yorke did have that one season), but still a very good player who are an important part of their team. Obviously he's got to get his head right first, as it's generally his decision making which he screws up. Hopefully he will.

El Jefe

So he’s more prolific than Henry/Ronaldo at the same age because he’s playing for a worse team than they did, with worse players around him?

That’s a hell of a theory.
I can't say for Henry because I don't know much about his Monaco team but for Ronaldo its not a bad point really. Our team has been so devoid of scorers since Rashford broke through that he's by default in the top three likely scorers for the team. He's been tasked with more of the goal scoring burden than Ronaldo ever was for his first 3 seasons. Ronaldo had RVN, Saha, Rooney and Scholes and Giggs who could also chip in with 10 goals so goal scoring wasn't as necessary for him in his first 3 seasons compared to Rashford.

If Ronaldo was tasked with greater scoring responsibility he too would have scored more. I mean look at Dan James he's definitely not a 3 in 4 player, he scored 5 in the championship last season but the team is so devoid of scorers that his input is suddenly crucial.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
So he’s more prolific than Henry/Ronaldo at the same age because he’s playing for a worse team than they did, with worse players around him?

That’s a hell of a theory.
Ronaldo played with prime RVN, Rooney, Forlan, Saha and Ole himself whilst maturing. He was never in a position to be the focal point of a team, we had a variety of goals from different strikers as well as midfield.

Rashford has played 3/4 season with Zlatan as our main goal outlet, two seasons with Lukaku out of form for a lot of his time here or scoring in bunches and now himself and Martial. Pogba was our top scorer last season (a lot of them penalties, which this season Rashford will benefit from). The team is reliant on him to score, even if he’s ready or not. He gets the chances and positioning on the pitch that Ronaldo never could at his age.

As for Henry I’d be lying if knew too much about the competition, but he was at a strong Monaco side and then Juve.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
I can't say for Henry because I don't know much about his Monaco team but for Ronaldo its not a bad point really. Our team has been so devoid of scorers since Rashford broke through that he's by default in the top three likely scorers for the team. He's been tasked with more of the goal scoring burden than Ronaldo ever was for his first 3 seasons. Ronaldo had RVN, Saha, Rooney and Scholes and Giggs who could also chip in with 10 goals so goal scoring wasn't as necessary for him in his first 3 seasons compared to Rashford.

If Ronaldo was tasked with greater scoring responsibility he too would have scored more. I mean look at Dan James he's definitely not a 3 in 4 player, he scored 5 in the championship last season but the team is so devoid of scorers that his input is suddenly crucial.
Thank you for this. I don’t think my initial post was as clear as this. The theory isn’t madness, it’s simple and is seen on every football pitch around the country at lower levels. That doesn’t always correspond to top level football but it definitely has a case here.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
United fans lacking patience for a young player in a struggling team. Who would have thought

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
You could also say that he’s scored way more goals than his talent and potential should purely because he’s playing too much in a team that struggles for goal scorers. Law of averages says he’s bound to get goals. The other two had to play with great strikers who would easily out score them.

Really don’t think he will be as big a player as everyone hopes, his talent is limited. However, hope I’m wrong and he goes on to have a solid career as a squad member of a successful team for us.
This is a really good point and similar to a point i made earlier in the thread, after the usual 'Rooney Ronaldo Henry' comparison stats get turned out. The poster was talking about how Rashford has such a stellar goals record compared to other forwards of his age. Which technically is true. But how many young players get so many opportunities as the main striker/attacker in teams where they are being assisted by players of the quality of Pogba?

The answer is not many, so the pool of comparison is naturally very very low. Why? Maybe because the type of clubs that can afford superstars like Pogba don't like languishing in fecking eighth position in the league and so rely on established goalscorers rather than their own overhyped academy products.

Rashford has a lot of potential, but the fact remains that currently he plays poorly for about 8 games to every 2 good ones. The contract was undeserved as we are still paying for 'potential' and this season threatens to be a real sh*tshow if we are relying on him to knock the goals in. He frequently breaks down our attacks or hinders them, makes braindead decisions, doesn't pick out teammates, messes up simple passes, runs the ball out of play, doesn't show any 'poachers' instinct, cant compete for the ball aerially and struggles to make inroads against compact defensive teams. He's being managed really poorly and being encouraged to think the sun shines out of his arse, because the club is so desperate (or cant now attract a better option) to have a home grown academy superstar to crow about. Some of his performances are up there as the worst I've ever seen from a striker in a utd shirt.

Seriously comparing him to Henry, Ronaldo or young Rooney is a joke. All you need is eyes to be able to appreciate the level of quality they had was a couple of levels above.

Edit: Gonna add that it is absolutely true that occasionally Rashford looks like a real world beater. The problem is these kind of performances are followed by about 7 or 8 games where he looks like he has won a competition to play for his favourite team in the premier league.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is a really good point and similar to a point i made earlier in the thread, after the usual 'Rooney Ronaldo Henry' comparison stats get turned out. The poster was talking about how Rashford has such a stellar goals record compared to other forwards of his age. Which technically is true. But how many young players get so many opportunities as the main striker/attacker in teams where they are being assisted by players of the quality of Pogba?

The answer is not many, so the pool of comparison is naturally very very low. Why? Maybe because the type of clubs that can afford superstars like Pogba don't like languishing in fecking eighth position in the league and so rely on established goalscorers rather than their own overhyped academy products.

Rashford has a lot of potential, but the fact remains that currently he plays poorly for about 8 games to every 2 good ones. The contract was undeserved as we are still paying for 'potential' and this season threatens to be a real sh*tshow if we are relying on him to knock the goals in. He frequently breaks down our attacks or hinders them, makes braindead decisions, doesn't pick out teammates, messes up simple passes, runs the ball out of play, doesn't show any 'poachers' instinct, cant compete for the ball aerially and struggles to make inroads against compact defensive teams. He's being managed really poorly and being encouraged to think the sun shines out of his arse, because the club is so desperate (or cant now attract a better option) to have a home grown academy superstar to crow about. Some of his performances are up there as the worst I've ever seen from a striker in a utd shirt.

Seriously comparing him to Henry, Ronaldo or young Rooney is a joke. All you need is eyes to be able to appreciate the level of quality they had was a couple of levels above.

Edit: Gonna add that it is absolutely true that occasionally Rashford looks like a real world beater. The problem is these kind of performances are followed by about 7 or 8 games where he looks like he has won a competition to play for his favourite team in the premier league.

You do realise that this season is the first time in his United career that Rashford has been the main attacker? For a grand total of 4 league games! Do the names Rooney, Van Persie, Falcao, Ibrahimovic and Lukaku ring any bells at all? I mean, they’re all quite well known footballers.

This thread is like the twilight fecking zone. Some of the posts are so dumb they’re almost surreal.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

I am not sure this was always true. When Rashford first burst onto the scene under Van Gaal he seemed to have a real instinct for goal. His goals against Midtjylland and Arsenal owed a lot to getting across the face of the six yard box.

However, in recent times he seems to have lost his striker's instinct. He no longer seems to gamble on crosses, preferring to wait for cut backs and balls to feet. It's a tad frustrating but maybe we need to accept that he's more likely to develop into a wide forward than a centre forward.

Martialfc

My friend was in Manchester on a night out the other night and he went the toilet and saw none other than Marcus Rashford in the toilets. He went and asked him for a photograph and then out of nowhere two of Rashford crew came out of nowhere and said “no pictures. He’s got a game coming up he’s not meant to be here.” This fella leads the line for United! Let’s be honest he’s not good enough. He doesn’t have the right attitude you can see it on and now off the pitch. I’d sell him at try get the £ 15m he is worth. I’m fed up of sub average players getting paid ridiculous sums of money! I’d be happy if he left and he can take his beans beans beans mate with him. Both Lingard and Rashford are frauds! I can’t wait to finish 6th this season! Thanks ed Woodward you’ve had a blinder giving these idiots ridiculous contracts!

haram

100% is a wide forward. It really has taken until now for people to realise this. People saying he was a better number 9 than Lukaku was cringeworthy.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
You do realise that this season is the first time in his United career that Rashford has been the main attacker? For a grand total of 4 league games! Do the names Rooney, Van Persie, Falcao, Ibrahimovic and Lukaku ring any bells at all? I mean, they’re all quite well known footballers.

This thread is like the twilight fecking zone. Some of the posts are so dumb they’re almost surreal.
Last season when ole took over it became apparent that most of the time Rashford would be preferred to lukaku. That's a good chunk of the season as the go to attacker which refutes your point. Faiir enough, lukaku was bad. But Rashfords had a lot of minutes as a forward at a big club. The argument is he has got more minutes because of being academy and it's a valid one.

I also argued that put Tammy Abraham in this team and he woul prob score at the same rate or higher than Rashford. Same Tammy Abraham that has just scored four in his last two league games. Then said would he be a superstar coveted by barca etc too then?

Superstar talents are obvious and Rashford is poor more often than not making it apparent he is not in that league.

Insult my posts all you want with derogatory remarks it doesn't make your points any more valid, if anything just makes them appear less cogent and unsupported.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I am not sure this was always true. When Rashford first burst onto the scene under Van Gaal he seemed to have a real instinct for goal. His goals against Midtjylland and Arsenal owed a lot to getting across the face of the six yard box.

However, in recent times he seems to have lost his striker's instinct. He no longer seems to gamble on crosses, preferring to wait for cut backs and balls to feet. It's a tad frustrating but maybe we need to accept that he's more likely to develop into a wide forward than a centre forward.
He's not really even "leading the line" for United at the moment anyway, he was playing on the wing until Martial's injury and he'll probably go back to the wing once Martial returns.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So it isn't Rashford's fault that...

1. He is rubbish for United and lets put all the blames and responsibility to our manager
2. He is rubbish for United because he isn't playing with better players comparing to his England team
3. He is rubbish for United because PL oppositions are far more competitive than international games
4. He is given a huge contract that he clearly was forced to take all this money and we should all treat him as squad player in terms of our expectations
5. His club managers haven't been able to get the best out of him
6. He has been played out of positions
7. He has been poor and "injured" since the Liverpool game in February last season and Ole mismanaged him as he forced Rashford to play through a bad "injury"
Would have been funny if Rashford was rubbish but he isn't.

roonster09

Scout
Last season when ole took over it became apparent that most of the time Rashford would be preferred to lukaku. That's a good chunk of the season as the go to attacker which refutes your point. Faiir enough, lukaku was bad. But Rashfords had a lot of minutes as a forward at a big club. The argument is he has got more minutes because of being academy and it's a valid one.

I also argued that put Tammy Abraham in this team and he woul prob score at the same rate or higher than Rashford. Same Tammy Abraham that has just scored four in his last two league games. Then said would he be a superstar coveted by barca etc too then?

Superstar talents are obvious and Rashford is poor more often than not making it apparent he is not in that league.

Insult my posts all you want with derogatory remarks it doesn't make your points any more valid, if anything just makes them appear less cogent and unsupported.
Not sure why you are comparing Tammy Abraham and Rashford. One is the fox in the box, who is lead striker and other played most of his career as a winger.

Even last season he didn't play many mins as striker, Lukaku played many games too and when he did, Rashford was moved to wings.

Anyways going by how Ole and Southgate are using Rashford, he won't be a #9. He will always be a wide attacker who will fill as #9 when needed.

-Supreme-

Would have been funny if Rashford was rubbish but he isn't.
Well I guess that comes to point number 4 - our expectations of him

He was good for the first 2 months since Ole took over but everything has gone downhill since

roonster09

Scout
Well I guess that comes to point number 4 - our expectations of him

He was good for the first 2 months since Ole took over but everything has gone downhill since
No. It isn't. He is good young player who is inconsistent, who scored decent number of goals. It's not hard.

-Supreme-

No. It isn't. He is good young player who is inconsistent, who scored decent number of goals. It's not hard.
Exactly my point so he should be treated as squad player at best but due to his big fat contract people are rightfully has much higher expectations

roonster09

Scout
Exactly my point so he should be treated as squad player at best but due to his big fat contract people are rightfully has much higher expectations
People have right to expect whatever they want to, doesn't mean they are spot on. It's just so many don't even know how to set expectations. "20 goals or GTFO" "he is main man now, no excuses" are the nonsense posts we read all the time. Simple google check will help them to understand how many wide players were great goal scorers from young age and how many improved with age/experience.

Ideally he should be squad player and he would have been squad player if he was in SAF team.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People have right to expect whatever they want to, doesn't mean they are spot on. It's just so many don't even know how to set expectations. "20 goals or GTFO" "he is main man now, no excuses" are the nonsense posts we read all the time. Simple google check will help them to understand how many wide players were great goal scorers from young age and how many improved with age/experience.

Ideally he should be squad player and he would have been squad player if he was in SAF team.
That makes sense all things considered. I don't expect much from him in general, I just wish the club wouldn't be put him in this crazy pressure.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
My friend was in Manchester on a night out the other night and he went the toilet and saw none other than Marcus Rashford in the toilets. He went and asked him for a photograph and then out of nowhere two of Rashford crew came out of nowhere and said “no pictures. He’s got a game coming up he’s not meant to be here.” This fella leads the line for United! Let’s be honest he’s not good enough. He doesn’t have the right attitude you can see it on and now off the pitch. I’d sell him at try get the £ 15m he is worth. I’m fed up of sub average players getting paid ridiculous sums of money! I’d be happy if he left and he can take his beans beans beans mate with him. Both Lingard and Rashford are frauds! I can’t wait to finish 6th this season! Thanks ed Woodward you’ve had a blinder giving these idiots ridiculous contracts!
Maybe he just wanted to enjoy his night out and not take random photos with a drunk guy in the toilets? Just a thought.

finneh

Nice one mate, however I was hoping you’d contribute more than just “he’s shit, but he’s our own polished shit so we must love him”. Thanks for the effort though.
He's 21 for Christ sake. We either put up with the inconsistency that is pretty much guaranteed in players under 24, or we shut down our academy and only buy 27-30 year olds; which given that the majority of this forum believe any player over 26 is nearing retirement would be an strange position.

Bwuk

This happened.

haram

Ban this troll :lol:

ash_86

Sounds like a RAWK story.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He's 21 for Christ sake. We either put up with the inconsistency that is pretty much guaranteed in players under 24, or we shut down our academy and only buy 27-30 year olds; which given that the majority of this forum believe any player over 26 is nearing retirement would be an strange position.
Untrue. That is a false dilemma. That is not the only scenario.

How about having some true consistent quality in one of the key positions on the pitch, supplementing them with young players until they are ready to take over? Too much to ask? That doesn't mean you want to shut down the academy. We are supposed to actually compete in the short term aren't we?

Top teams don't flounder about in mid-table relying on kids to come good which isn't even guaranteed to begin with. That would be insane, under a club that has aspirations to compete.

But, that is exactly what we are being told by Woodward & the fans lap it up.

My criticism isn't against Rashford because he shouldn't even be in this position to begin with. Like McTominay, he has been elevated above his station. He would be a squad player in a properly run team which would be fine.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Post of the year contender.

finneh

Untrue. That is a false dilemma. That is not the only scenario.

How about having some true consistent quality in one of the key positions on the pitch, supplementing them with young players until they are ready to take over? Too much to ask? That doesn't mean you want to shut down the academy. We are supposed to actually compete in the short term aren't we?

Top teams don't flounder about in mid-table relying on kids to come good which isn't even guaranteed to begin with. That would be insane, under a club that has aspirations to compete.

But, that is exactly what we are being told by Woodward & the fans lap it up.

My criticism isn't against Rashford because he shouldn't even be in this position to begin with. Like McTominay, he has been elevated above his station. He would be a squad player in a properly run team which would be fine.
My comment wasn't aimed at anyone who isn't criticising Rashford; it's aimed at those who vociferously are. If comments were similar to "he shouldn't be first choice yet at a club like United and we have Woodward to blame for that. He should be playing off the bench until he builds his consistency which may take another couple of years", then that would be a fair and balanced viewpoint.

Comments such as the below are not balanced however. They're writing off a 21 year old who's achieved far more than almost any other 21 year old in the world today simply because he doesn't have the consistency of a 28 year old.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but he is absolutely a mere pace merchant at this point...IF he develops some humility and willingness to learn, he may one day reach the level of a vardy
Iv never seen a more brainless footballer at his level he has no awareness at all
He's an overhyped pace merchant
If we are still talking about 'potential' and 'he should improve his decision making' after 200 appearances and 4 seasons, then people just need to accept that Rashford will never live up to the expectations that they have built of him.
If he can't score 20 goals this season, it is high time we ship him off and bring in somebody who can
I have fleeting moments where I see a 17/18 year old Ronaldo for us but then it’s just mostly some kid that got hyped up too much in the playground
For three years he has exhibited mediocre control in tight spaces, lack of true finishing ability, absence of goo link up play, and abysmal decision making apart from very brief spurts of good form. If he is mostly bad, and bad in terms of fundamentals like touch and technique, not just decision making
You get paid as a starter, you better deliver as a starter.

-Supreme-

We all agree that he should be squad player, but is it really a big ask to expect him to deliver at a higher level than what he has shown given the money he demanded, and the game time the club has invested in him?

Yes he is still relatively young coming up to 22 next month but let's not forget that the amount of games he has gained through both club and international levels over the last four years that no other young players in his age group could even dream of but worryingly his progression seems to have stalled.

He has been allowed time to develop at United since he came up through the ranks until Ole took over, if we don't see a clear sign of improvement by the end of the season then he (along with other players in the squad) deserves to get the same treatment by the fans.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
You should put up with his inconsistency by sending him out on loan. The day Man United fans are told they should accept an inconsistent nr 1 striker is the day we can say they are not a big club. Go ahead and tell Real, Barca and Bayern they should accept an inconsistent nr 1 striker and see what they say.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He should be getting the best coaching out there with Solskjær as his manager.

I used to love the training videos posted when Van Gaal was around of him working with strikers on simple finishes. It looked daft to see him teaching Rooney how to take a touch before shooting but sometimes repetitions in training can do wonders. The strikers were also quite clinical under Van Gaal even if the chances created were at a bare minimum.

Drainy

You should put up with his inconsistency by sending him out on loan. The day Man United fans are told they should accept an inconsistent nr 1 striker is the day we can say they are not a big club. Go ahead and tell Real, Barca and Bayern they should accept an inconsistent nr 1 striker and see what they say.
It's what we're doing so..

Lets be honest, we spunked our wad with Lukaku and it didn't work out, we were lucky to get most of it back and have already spent the budget the Glazers set plus the Lukaku money on strengthening other areas that needed investment.

We're not one of the clubs that would spend £250m every few seasons. The Glazers clearly have no stomach for that after how the last few big summers went. We're a club that is going to look the bring players through.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
My comment wasn't aimed at anyone who isn't criticising Rashford; it's aimed at those who vociferously are. If comments were similar to "he shouldn't be first choice yet at a club like United and we have Woodward to blame for that. He should be playing off the bench until he builds his consistency which may take another couple of years", then that would be a fair and balanced viewpoint.

Comments such as the below are not balanced however. They're writing off a 21 year old who's achieved far more than almost any other 21 year old in the world today simply because he doesn't have the consistency of a 28 year old.
Ah that makes sense, which is fair enough. I take it back then.

Rashford is 21. His biggest weakness for a while now has been his decision-making. I remember Sterling a few years ago had very poor decision-making too, suddenly a few years later under a top class trainer in Guardiola and he's had multiple 20+ goal seasons now. So he's proof it definitely can be improved under the right guidance. City however had Aguero & multiple other consistent attackers so Sterling was never relied upon as heavily. He had the right environment to thrive in.

The biggest worry is, Rashford & our other young forwards don't have that. We currently have no-one to alleviate the responsibility from them until they are ready. We also have very questionable coaching here too. There is a clear lack of structure to our play, most of what we create is from individual brilliance. That's not exactly the greatest environment to grow in to begin with.

That's why i very much doubt any of this has been done in the youth or the team's interests. No-one would choose to do this.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
It's what we're doing so..

Lets be honest, we spunked our wad with Lukaku and it didn't work out, we were lucky to get most of it back and have already spent the budget the Glazers set plus the Lukaku money on strengthening other areas that needed investment.

We're not one of the clubs that would spend £250m every few seasons. The Glazers clearly have no stomach for that after how the last few big summers went. We're a club that is going to look the bring players through.
We spent £80m net this summer & £50m net last summer. We had record revenues of £590m last year. For a team supposed to be rebuilding, you call that a proper investment?

Besides that, who would actively choose to develop youth inside a poor environment? It makes no sense. You don't add youth to a team already devoid of any experience or leadership. With the pressure & responsibility immediately placed upon them, that's setting them up to fail.

You add youth to an already experienced setup so they can be free to naturally develop. It's the way all the top teams around the world do it. SAF used to do it this way. Rooney & Ronaldo were completely surrounded by leaders as youngsters. They were never laid bare like how we're attempting to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.