5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winmove

What he should copy from Ronaldo isn't his tricks, his freekick or the way he shoot. It's his movement and ability to attack the space and anticipate where the ball is coming. Ronaldo scores tons of tap ins because he is a great poacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

rotherham_red

I agree with most of what you've said but that bolded part is absolute rubbish. Sterling has never suffered from poor decision making. Maybe you've said it to find some correlation between him and rashford where in reality there isnt one. he was brilliant at liverpool and is now brilliant at city. Guardiola helped his career in some way but he was always destined for greatness with or without guardiola. The only problem with him over the years has been his final ball or technique. Its improved and is getting him the goods but is still a bit shaky.
No he wasn't. He was a running joke for years after his one good season with Liverpool. He stagnated to an alarming degree under Rodgers and then was bordering on a flop at City until 2018/19 which was when he really started to come in to his own.

If Pep didn't go to City, he'd be the same Sterling who couldn't finish his dinner. The difference between him then and now is astounding. It also helps that he plays in a City team which creates chances for fun.

rotherham_red

Pep has let it be known off the record that if he could have the choice of one player at Utd for his City team, it would be Rashford...

... But anonymous mouth breathers on Twitter and the internet forums know best :rolleyes:

romufc

Why is it rubbish? Think about it. Sterling's main weakness before Guardiola was his decision-making in front of goal. I remember his final season at Liverpool very well. He was brilliant at Liverpool I agree but he was still hesitant in front of goal. You even agreed with that yourself.

Compare both of their stats:

Sterling's final season at Liverpool PL stats at 20;
35 games, 7 goals, 8 assists.

Rashford's PL stats at same age (17/18);
35 games, 7 goals, 5 assists.

Sterling's 1st season at City PL stats at 21;
31 games, 6 goals, 2 assists.

Rashford PL stats last season at 21;
33 games, 10 goals, 7 assists.

Sterling's 2nd season at City PL stats at 22;
33 games, 7 goals, 10 assists.

Sterling's PL stats with City at 23;
33 games, 18 goals, 15 assists.

As you can see, their records at the same age are very similar.

To say Sterling was always destined for greatness wasn't true & is hindsight. Nothing is ever set in stone. I never thought he was capable of the records he's posting now, that's for sure. He's benefited from excellent coaching at City from Guardiola and has matured with age.

Rashford has similar weaknesses. He is excellent at getting into a dangerous position, but once there, his decision making is letting him down. That's normal though. The biggest thing is that he keeps on getting into those positions in the first place.

That's how it is with young players, they consistently frustrate until bang, they explode, it suddenly clicks and away they go.
Great post. Maybe gives the Rashford critics something. I think Rashford has a bit more than Sterling did at his age.

I think Rashford will click.

HowieC

Nope, but I have it from a good authority. If you want to know, PM me.
Surely you jest. Can you imagine Pep going for someone of such mediocre technical ability. Can't keep the ball, play incisive passes, can't dribble in tight spaces, unintelligent play.

Sounds like the BS rumours of Barcelona wanting him

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Pep has let it be known off the record that if he could have the choice of one player at Utd for his City team, it would be Rashford...

... But anonymous mouth breathers on Twitter and the internet forums know best :rolleyes:
The options aren't exactly great right now. Pogba doesn't fit his style, neither Martial.

He'd be a Gabriel Jesus type player on the bench for them.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Surely you jest. Can you imagine Pep going for someone of such mediocre technical ability. Can't keep the ball, play incisive passes, can't dribble in tight spaces, unintelligent play.

Sounds like the BS rumours of Barcelona wanting him
:lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes and rightly so. He needs a bit of a wake up call for both club and country. He shouldn't be an automatic or regular starter for either based on his current form.
Did you by any chance watch the last game against Bulgaria?

stepic

Why is it rubbish? Think about it. Sterling's main weakness before Guardiola was his decision-making in front of goal. I remember his final season at Liverpool very well. He was brilliant at Liverpool I agree but he was still hesitant in front of goal. You even agreed with that yourself.

Compare both of their stats:

Sterling's final season at Liverpool PL stats at 20;
35 games, 7 goals, 8 assists.

Rashford's PL stats at same age (17/18);
35 games, 7 goals, 5 assists.

Sterling's 1st season at City PL stats at 21;
31 games, 6 goals, 2 assists.

Rashford PL stats last season at 21;
33 games, 10 goals, 7 assists.

Sterling's 2nd season at City PL stats at 22;
33 games, 7 goals, 10 assists.

Sterling's PL stats with City at 23;
33 games, 18 goals, 15 assists.

As you can see, their records at the same age are very similar.

To say Sterling was always destined for greatness wasn't true & is hindsight. Nothing is ever set in stone. I never thought he was capable of the records he's posting now, that's for sure. He's benefited from excellent coaching at City from Guardiola and has matured with age.

Rashford has similar weaknesses. He is excellent at getting into a dangerous position, but once there, his decision making is letting him down. That's normal though. The biggest thing is that he keeps on getting into those positions in the first place.

That's how it is with young players, they consistently frustrate until bang, they explode, it suddenly clicks and away they go.
hopefully you're right and Rashford follows Sterling's progression. but there's no reason to think he will. Theo Walcott in 2010/11, aged 21: 28 games, 9 goals, 7 assists. not too dissimilar to both Rashford and Sterling either, and whilst he had an OK career, he never became a star. and he had a legendary Manager to help him too.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
hopefully you're right and Rashford follows Sterling's progression. but there's no reason to think he will. Theo Walcott in 2010/11, aged 21: 28 games, 9 goals, 7 assists. not too dissimilar to both Rashford and Sterling either, and whilst he had an OK career, he never became a star. and he had a legendary Manager to help him too.
Your comparison with Walcott is valid, but i think Rashford has a higher ceiling than he ever had due to his physical frame and technique. But Walcott's case does highlight that nothing is set in stone with young players. For every Sterling there's many more who fail to reach that level.

Right now Rashford has the potential to be frightening if he can put it all together. That's all we know. With the right guidance and a bit of luck, let's see if he can fulfil that in the next few years. I think it's going to be exciting to watch.

Sp00ks11

Did you by any chance watch the last game against Bulgaria?
1 slightly above average performance after 6 months of shite and you think he doesn't need to be dropped? Jesus Christ, how the standards of United fans have sunk. You think Rashford could stink up the place with this poor form at the likes of Real, Barca, City or Liverpool?

He is 21 and shown almost no improvement since he broke into the first team. Do you remember Rooney at 21?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
1 slightly above average performance after 6 months of shite and you think he doesn't need to be dropped? Jesus Christ, how the standards of United fans have sunk. You think Rashford could stink up the place with this poor form at the likes of Real, Barca, City or Liverpool?

He is 21 and shown almost no improvement since he broke into the first team. Do you remember Rooney at 21?
Are we talking about being dropped for England or Manchester United now? You said Southgate should drop him, despite him not actually performing poorly for Southgate’s team.

And him ‘improving since he broke through’ is a red herring. He scored every game when he first broke through. So if that is what you are judging him against, he’s not doing better than that. But he’s a better player. And one of the few in our squad that would land at a Champions League squad of sold.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes

Exactly. The Rashford love in on here is just plain weird. It's like some people have more invested in Rashford becoming a superstar than in Utd actually scoring some goals and climbing the league table. I've said it before that he is a talented kid with a lot of potential, but the overhyping does him no favours. His form is frequently off and there's always a reason. 'Mourinho played him out of position'. 'He needs to play CF' 'He's best on the wing' 'He's carrying an injury', there's always a new excuse. Absolutely certain SAF would never in a million years have put up with some of the performances he's turned out. If there's one way Rashford isn't going to become a world class player, it's by being undroppable in the team regardless of how utterly dreadful the performances you turn out are. He needs to be on the bench, playing second fiddle to someone better and more experienced. He needs competition for his place, to stay on his toes.

Edit: Also I question Rashford's will to win. His drive to help the team win was illustrated by that stupid 40 yard volley attempt (gif earler in thread) he tried when we were chasing a game. Does he want to win the game, or the ballon d'or? I never ever doubted Rooney's will to win. He would've taken Colleen out back and done her in with a spade if he thought it would get him another league title. Same with Keano, can you honestly look me in the eye and tell me he wouldn't trade a bollock for another FA cup?

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Yes and rightly so. He needs a bit of a wake up call for both club and country. He shouldn't be an automatic or regular starter for either based on his current form.
He played well in the first game. :lol:

Posters here are already rewriting history. Playing Rashford in game 1 and Sancho in game 2 was probably always part of the plan. Funnily enough, they both played on opposite wings.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
That hate for Rashford is as juvenile as it is preposterous. This kid has massive potential. People forget how young he is. He’s 21 ffs. On his day he is fantastic. But he’s inconsistent. Well, duh, he’s 21. 95% of players are inconsistent at his age. Just look at how his frame has changed in the last 3 years since he broke through. He’s an absolute unit now, and is still discovering his game. It’s absolutely bonkers to shit on this kid. He’s the best player to come through the academy in fecking ages. And with some patience, guidance, hard work and luck, he’s going to be a fantastic player for us.

The cretins in our fan base always do this. Hype youngsters to the max, then strip them down at the first sign of difficulty. All our successful young players here have gone through it. People wanted Scholes dropped when he came through. People shit on Ronaldo and his end product until he was about 21/22 (after the initial hype). Fletcher got it really badly. Perhaps worse than anyone.

As always, the hyping is unrealistic. As is the slagging off. Greenwood and Gomes are in for a tough time.

Look at Dan James ffs. First start against Wolves and people were calling him a championship player and never in a million years a United player. I’d pull up some of the posts, but I can’t be arsed. But suffice to say that some of them were as half witted as they come after watching a player for one game. Two games later and people are hyping him to the max and calling him potential signing of the season and first name on the team sheet. Half of them the same stupid cnuts that were writing him off - categorically - and slagging off the management for his signing, just days before.

The management and leadership of this institution has been appalling these last few years; but I have to say that some of our fan base is equally appalling. And you wonder if they even have the first clue about football.
Seriously don't understand where it's even coming from. At first I thought it was the crowd that were obsessed with Martial but it's definitely something more than that. It's not even criticism, some people genuinely hate the guy.

This guy from ex managers accounts is one of the hardest working trainers in the club. Jose practically loved him for that. Yet some people here can't back him at all, it's like they've never seen a 21 year old develop.

OL29

Seriously don't understand where it's even coming from. At first I thought it was the crowd that were obsessed with Martial but it's definitely something more than that. It's not even criticism, some people genuinely hate the guy.

This guy from ex managers accounts is one of the hardest working trainers in the club. Jose practically loved him for that. Yet some people here can't back him at all, it's like they've never seen a 21 year old develop.
It’s simply impatience.

Sp00ks11

He played well in the first game. :lol:

Posters here are already rewriting history. Playing Rashford in game 1 and Sancho in game 2 was probably always part of the plan. Funnily enough, they both played on opposite wings.
No point quoting 1 of my points, when I have already addressed the very same point you are attempting but failing to make.

Mr PG

That hate for Rashford is as juvenile as it is preposterous. This kid has massive potential. People forget how young he is. He’s 21 ffs. On his day he is fantastic. But he’s inconsistent. Well, duh, he’s 21. 95% of players are inconsistent at his age. Just look at how his frame has changed in the last 3 years since he broke through. He’s an absolute unit now, and is still discovering his game. It’s absolutely bonkers to shit on this kid. He’s the best player to come through the academy in fecking ages. And with some patience, guidance, hard work and luck, he’s going to be a fantastic player for us.

The cretins in our fan base always do this. Hype youngsters to the max, then strip them down at the first sign of difficulty. All our successful young players here have gone through it. People wanted Scholes dropped when he came through. People shit on Ronaldo and his end product until he was about 21/22 (after the initial hype). Fletcher got it really badly. Perhaps worse than anyone.

As always, the hyping is unrealistic. As is the slagging off. Greenwood and Gomes are in for a tough time.

Look at Dan James ffs. First start against Wolves and people were calling him a championship player and never in a million years a United player. I’d pull up some of the posts, but I can’t be arsed. But suffice to say that some of them were as half witted as they come after watching a player for one game. Two games later and people are hyping him to the max and calling him potential signing of the season and first name on the team sheet. Half of them the same stupid cnuts that were writing him off - categorically - and slagging off the management for his signing, just days before.

The management and leadership of this institution has been appalling these last few years; but I have to say that some of our fan base is equally appalling. And you wonder if they even have the first clue about football.[/
Well said.
Amazing post...agree with everything here

stepic

It’s simply impatience.
Rashford has been pushed by management into a role he isn't quite ready for, and he's being criticized accordingly - as a starter and now important member of the attack for Manchester United. he should be coming off the bench or being rotated at best, and if that was the case, he wouldn't be getting so much scrutiny, because, yes, he is only 21 - but he isn't doing that. therefore he's criticized because at times his performances aren't good enough for the role he's been given.

it's ultimately down to bad management, really.

roonster09

Scout
Rashford has been pushed by management into a role he isn't quite ready for, and he's being criticized accordingly - as a starter and now important member of the attack for Manchester United. he should be coming off the bench or being rotated at best, and if that was the case, he wouldn't be getting so much scrutiny, because, yes, he is only 21 - but he isn't doing that. therefore he's criticized because at times his performances aren't good enough for the role he's been given.

2017-18 season he came off the bench in many games and was squad player, didn't stop him getting too much criticism.

Swiss_Red89

I really hope he can continue his good form for England and will bounce back for United with a strong September.

We really need him in form if we want to compete for top 4 this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Exactly. The Rashford love in on here is just plain weird. It's like some people have more invested in Rashford becoming a superstar than in Utd actually scoring some goals and climbing the league table. I've said it before that he is a talented kid with a lot of potential, but the overhyping does him no favours. His form is frequently off and there's always a reason. 'Mourinho played him out of position'. 'He needs to play CF' 'He's best on the wing' 'He's carrying an injury', there's always a new excuse. Absolutely certain SAF would never in a million years have put up with some of the performances he's turned out. If there's one way Rashford isn't going to become a world class player, it's by being undroppable in the team regardless of how utterly dreadful the performances you turn out are. He needs to be on the bench, playing second fiddle to someone better and more experienced. He needs competition for his place, to stay on his toes.

Edit: Also I question Rashford's will to win. His drive to help the team win was illustrated by that stupid 40 yard volley attempt (gif earler in thread) he tried when we were chasing a game. Does he want to win the game, or the ballon d'or? I never ever doubted Rooney's will to win. He would've taken Colleen out back and done her in with a spade if he thought it would get him another league title. Same with Keano, can you honestly look me in the eye and tell me he wouldn't trade a bollock for another FA cup?
Rashford has an incredible will to win, and is amongst the hardest workers in the team.

You also forget Rooney trying to chip a goalkeeper who was on his line from 40 yards every fecking week because it worked once against David James.

OL29

I understand all that but the vitriol in the criticism is too much, you’re right that he shouldn’t have such an important status in the first team right now and that is down to poor management. I just wish people wouldn’t take that out on Rashford, he’s doing his best and there’s not many 22 year olds who would do a better job in similar circumstances.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I agree with most of what you've said but that bolded part is absolute rubbish. Sterling has never suffered from poor decision making. Maybe you've said it to find some correlation between him and rashford where in reality there isnt one. he was brilliant at liverpool and is now brilliant at city. Guardiola helped his career in some way but he was always destined for greatness with or without guardiola. The only problem with him over the years has been his final ball or technique. Its improved and is getting him the goods but is still a bit shaky.
A poor final ball is a direct consequence of poor decision making. But I agree its obvious Sterling had better vision and intelligence in the build up than Rashford probably ever will.

KennyBurner

A poor final ball is a direct consequence of poor decision making. But I agree its obvious Sterling had better vision and intelligence in the build up than Rashford probably ever will.
Poor final ball is technique related and not decision making. Even right now sterlings best attributes are his speed, dribbling, workrate and intelligence. His mental attributes are up there. Those are the same things he had when at Liverpool. The only problem he has ever really had was technique related but when you are always in the right position 90 percent of the time it hardly ever matters. What guardiola has improved is a better system for him to improve on which is easier after spending a trillion gathering the best players to carry it out.

I just find it odd that posters are comparing sterling to rashford when there isn’t anything major to compare. For example sterling never struggled making the right decision in passing the ball when it mattered at rashford age. Rashford on the other hand would rather shoot from distance when next to another player. Sterling can dribble in tight spaces were rashford relies on space. Only thing rashford has better than sterling is shooting technique. They are both different types of players in my opinion and will both exceed in different setups. Ofcourse sterling will always be the better player due to the fact he has the mental attributes to back up his great physique.

Rinnegan240

Re-watching Rashford's debut season, it seems we have two totally different players. One had the knack for drifting into great positions and knowing where the ball will be to take advantage of the last man and the other seems to have forgotten how to do that.

I still think there's a good player in there but I really think some more time under Van Gaal would have done him a world of good

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I understand all that but the vitriol in the criticism is too much, you’re right that he shouldn’t have such an important status in the first team right now and that is down to poor management. I just wish people wouldn’t take that out on Rashford, he’s doing his best and there’s not many 22 year olds who would do a better job in similar circumstances.
It's not his fault he's not that good.

I blame those putting too much faith in him, rather than the player himself.

roonster09

Scout
With Pogba and Martial missing the game, big responsibility on him to step up tomorrow. Hopefully he will.

Wilfred Brown

lazy, complacent, arrogant

We have to accept that this player will never make it.
He is going to turn into another Balotelli

acnumber9

Not sure what can be expected of a striker who doesn’t get the ball because we’re incapable of passing it to him. Not that Rashford isn’t guilty or shit passing too but still.

AJ10

Did his best Lukaku impression without the crap first touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.