5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

eire-red

Nice to find someone who can disagree on some point without getting angry!

Look, I'm not saying Marcus can never become world-class, of course he can. Who is to say next year he doesn't get 25 PL goals? Nobody can predict that. What I am saying I don't think he will quite hit those heights. That is an opinion, it's totally subjective and is a debate on an Internet forum. Many may have a different opinion. What I have said time and time again to other posters is pointing out a player is NOT currently world-class or highlighting weaknesses isn't sacrilege.

What I will say about Rashford is that you are right about the passes between the lines. The one thing you can't ever accuse Rashford of is not trying things. I would prefer that any day to the likes of Mata who don't try things or Pereira/Lingard who do but just can't execute.

I'm genuinely baffled by the aggression of some posters if you suggest he might not be world-class though....how many players WILL be world-class? You're talking very, very few. Also, not all players in the 23 have to be world-class for us to have a fantastic side. I see no reason why Rashford couldn't start 20 games (in rotation with Sancho and Mason) in a side that wins the title one day

The one thing I will stand by (and probably get called all sorts of names for again) - I think Rashford is an AWFUL centre forward. Really, really bad. No striker's instinct whatsoever and as I said in my very first post, I think you take away all the good bits of his game if you ask him to play as a lone CF. Now, again. I don't get why people are so upset about me saying this. If you think back to our worst run this season, we played Rashford at CF due to Martial being injured. Now, of course I'm not saying we played poorly in those games just because Rashford played CF....but it WAS a factor. It was widely acknowledged at the time that he really struggled against some very poor sides. But hey, we learned something, don't play him at CF! That's not a criticism really is it....it's like saying Luke Shaw is a good LB but don't play him RB or Matic is a good DM but don't play him CB! Lest we forget, he was always a winger in the Youth teams!
Yeah he seems himself as a CF, but in reality when he plays there it strips all of the things that he excels at from his game (facing up defenders, running with the ball at pace, interlinking and playing passes between the lines, long distance shooting etc). Playing with his back to goal is not his strongest point. A great example was Greenwood's goal against Villa and the work Martial did to set it up, beating Mings on the half way line. That's not really Rashfords game.

The biggest criticism of Rashfords game for me is that he makes the most difficult things look effortless, but loses concentration on the basics. It's actually his focus on nailing down the basics this season that has propelled him to another level this season. Hopefully he can roll all of that together next season and be even better.

Handré1990

Yesterday:
The first thing to say is Rashford is not world class and never will be.
Today:
Nice to find someone who can disagree on some point without getting angry!

Look, I'm not saying Marcus can never become world-class, of course he can. Who is to say next year he doesn't get 25 PL goals? Nobody can predict that.
Which is it?

Lentwood

Yeah he seems himself as a CF, but in reality when he plays there it strips all of the things that he excels at from his game (facing up defenders, running with the ball at pace, interlinking and playing passes between the lines, long distance shooting etc). Playing with his back to goal is not his strongest point. A great example was Greenwood's goal against Villa and the work Martial did to set it up, beating Mings on the half way line. That's not really Rashfords game.

The biggest criticism of Rashfords game for me is that he makes the most difficult things look effortless, but loses concentration on the basics. It's actually his focus on nailing down the basics this season that has propelled him to another level this season. Hopefully he can roll all of that together next season and be even better.
Great point - I actually 100% agree with that. I've struggled to articulate the same point but that's what I mean when I talk about 'base level'.

For example, sometimes Rashford does things that are genuinely world-class (the rabona against Bournemouth last season, the free-kick against Chelsea) however, he also misplaces simple passes and mis-controls the ball far more regularly than you would expect a top player to.

Maybe that's concentration more than bare technique. My opinion is I side towards technique....but if it's concentration then yeah that can easily improve with age

Handré1990

One is my opinion - my OPINION is that I don't think he will ever be world-class

The other is a fact - it is a FACT that we cannot conclusively say he will never be world-class
You didn’t say so. In fact, I can quote the sentence directly before this one, which is presented as a more objective and realistic view:

Now, all that being said, I feel that now we’re on an upward trajectory, we have a settled manager who understands Rashford’s best position and the fan/media hype around him has largely disappeared, we can be honest and level-headed about his actual talent.

The post was just a mess, with clear bias presented as the more objective judgement. It wasn’t. You get a lot more leeway when criticizing players if there isn’t a clear dislike based on no tangible empiric basis. You then proceeded to complain about posters lack of quality analysis when called out. Go figure!

We don’t know either way, but what we do know, if you’ve actually watched Rashford from 18 yo until now, is that he’s had a tremendous development.

CG1010

His confidence is improving every game.. the only things missing have been his driving runs towards defenders when space opens up and a goal from open play. Hopefully we will see both today! I am somehow positive about this being a good game for Rashford.

KennyBurner

Great point - I actually 100% agree with that. I've struggled to articulate the same point but that's what I mean when I talk about 'base level'.

For example, sometimes Rashford does things that are genuinely world-class (the rabona against Bournemouth last season, the free-kick against Chelsea) however, he also misplaces simple passes and mis-controls the ball far more regularly than you would expect a top player to.

Maybe that's concentration more than bare technique. My opinion is I side towards technique....but if it's concentration then yeah that can easily improve with age
I agree with this. His inconsistent touch or pass is something that always bothered me about his game. I always thought he was a bit clumsy when running at defenders with the ball.

However I will say after the restart he has started thinking more about his plays which has increased his consistency on the ball. I’m just happy he has stopped that sudden burst of running straight into defenders.

I will note that maybe a lot of his frustrations trying to hard on the ball came about because we few creative players in the team. It’s very similar to pogba who also used to try to hard.

Paul_Scholes18

Hope he can score and join our forwards in being in good scoring form. He got the pen goal, but it doesn't really count. Want to see a goal in open play.

Lentwood

You didn’t say so. In fact, I can quote the sentence directly before this one, which is presented as a more objective and realistic view:

Now, all that being said, I feel that now we’re on an upward trajectory, we have a settled manager who understands Rashford’s best position and the fan/media hype around him has largely disappeared, we can be honest and level-headed about his actual talent.

The post was just a mess, with clear bias presented as the more objective judgement. It wasn’t. You get a lot more leeway when criticizing players if there isn’t a clear dislike based on no tangible empiric basis. You then proceeded to complain about posters lack of quality analysis when called out. Go figure!

We don’t know either way, but what we do know, if you’ve actually watched Rashford from 18 yo until now, is that he’s had a tremendous development.
I'm not being drawn into semantics - I write these posts in 5 minutes on my phone, they're not political discourses! I think it was very clear exactly what I was saying - that I believe Rashford will fall short of world-class

Incidentally, Gary Neville literally just said on Sky that Greenwood, and I quote, is 'another level' to Rashford and Martial. I expect several members of the Rashford fan club on this page must have just melted at the mere suggestion he's not the best player ever

CAVEAT - As usual, I will add that I like Rashford, I rate Rashford (as an AML) and I am merely claiming I don't believe he is or will ever be 'world-class'

Handré1990

I'm not being drawn into semantics - I write these posts in 5 minutes on my phone, they're not political discourses! I think it was very clear exactly what I was saying - that I believe Rashford will fall short of world-class

Incidentally, Gary Neville literally just said on Sky that Greenwood, and I quote, is 'another level' to Rashford and Martial. I expect several members of the Rashford fan club on this page must have just melted at the mere suggestion he's not the best player ever

CAVEAT - As usual, I will add that I like Rashford, I rate Rashford (as an AML) and I am merely claiming I don't believe he is or will ever be 'world-class'
No worries, he’s not nailed on to become world class, I just think it’s unfair to state categorically that he won’t be. He has surprised me with his development since his first season. Exceeding my expectations so far, so he has a great chance to become a special player. Greenwood is something else indeed, that’s why level headed folks are getting giddy and comparing him to the greats.

Man Utd 2:2 Southampton

Drainy

why would anyone be annoyed about that? It's blatantly apparent and I said the exact same thing earlier in the thread - as a talent he blows both out of the water, but he's not a better footballer than either yet- will surpass both shortly, but not yet..

Do you think you have to be as individually talented as Greenwood to become a world class footballer?

Were any of the class of '92 world class to you? Rashford wouldn't have been out of place in that group.

KennyBurner

Cost us the game. Cant do the basic things right. Gives away the ball with no pressure and also under pressure. Hides from luke shaw when he needs an outlet to pass too. Honestly sick of this.

Dorris

Never seen a winger let a full back run off him so much when his team is hanging on. Good going forward though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He looked really sharp and looked dangerous whenever he got into their half.

BTW the defender blocked that shot, god knows how.

Welbeckham

Very good performance, but should have finished the game from that Martial pass, maybe even gift Bruno an empty goal. I knew it would come back to haunt us cause we looked knackered tonight.

Womp

idiot
Feck off with this bench him for Mason shite. He's one of our best players, along with Martial looked like the only one who could do anything that match.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Cost us the game. Cant do the basic things right. Gives away the ball with no pressure and also under pressure. Hides from luke shaw when he needs an outlet to pass too. Honestly sick of this.
:lol:

Womp

idiot
that chance that he missed cost us the game. he also misplaces way too many passes that put us under pressure. Whats so funny? His inconsistency is killing us.
Pogba being dispossessed, leading to a goal, cause he was too lazy cost us the game, Bruno looking shite cost us the game, Martial refusing to square to Mason after his run cost us the game, Martial failing to finish his chance 1v1 cost us the game. You're picking and choosing one moment to suit your rubbish agenda.

It was a ridiculous sliding block, it wasn't any easier a chance than Martial's 1v1.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
For some reason he was our only player who was fit to run in the second half, everyone else was tired and he kept running. Apart from Martial easily our best player tonight. Such a shame that chance was blocked.

Swiss_Red89

that chance that he missed cost us the game. he also misplaces way too many passes that put us under pressure. Whats so funny? His inconsistency is killing us.
How many passes has Bruno missplaced today?
Rashford and Martial were by far our best players. Yes Rashford should have scored the chance to make it 3:1 but he created the chance himself with a brilliant skill and play.
His workrate was also very good again. Never stopped running. Oh and btw he scored the important equaliser.

Honestly i'm getting sick of this shit written about one of our best players of the season.

Bojan11

Him and Martial were good. Sadly we barely could keep the ball so couldn’t get them involved more.

Ludens the Red

:lol: Are you drunk ? Was our second best player after Martial. Bruno and Pogba were far more sloppy with their passing.

Renegade

He played well, wish he would run at the defenders more. Also he is clearly Ole’s favourite player. Never subbed it seems. Even after coming from a serious back injury.

el3mel

Honestly don't think he was as good as what people are saying. Good goal and some nice moments but overall, not really his best.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We should have finish the game off. But let's face it, we shouldn't be conceded 2 goals against Southampton!! Let's not blame to our attackers on this one.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The chance where he got tackled literally as soon as the ball left his foot? What else exactly was he meant to do? It was just a great block.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very good game again from him. Good finish, had a very good finish for the offside goal and a great block to deny him in the 2nd.

In Rainbows

Thought Rashford was good. You could point to times they (he and Martial) could be more clinical, but by and large were two of our best players. They got us 2 goals so we should win off the back of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.