4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

edgecutter

https://www.skysports.com/football/...nnot-seriously-consider-sale-says-paul-merson

How am I finding myself agreeing with almost every word Paul Merson says? scary times.
This attitude towards youth players will be the death of the club.

We are paying a guy 200k a week to not even try and chase a ball. That is unacceptable. Every week our fans are spending a huge amount to go see this guy hardly put in a shift and if he is allowed to become bigger than the club because of some status that he hasn't even earned than we are done for.

clarkydaz

Why do you think it's his ego by the way and not a post injury thing?

This is what RVP directly said to Rashford :

Robin van Persie has warned Manchester United that Marcus Rashford may always have a “weakspot” after picking up a back injury.

Why isn't that a possibility why he doesn't run as much as before?

I just want to know your opinion.

On Google back pain and running is said "Running with improper form can dramatically increase the stress to the back and can contribute to joint injuries (hip, knee and ankle) developing over time."
The manager said only last week he has no injury issues

Telsim

How short is your memory to not think that Rashford ability is not impressive? What are we expecting from our players, continual improvement season on season until they become the next Salah? He's going through the worst patch of his career but why are you so adamant he should be moved on?

How is keeping a 24 year old player, with his best years ahead of him a decision based on sentiment - it would be an astute footballing decision. Pretty sure we would not be short of suitors if he was up for sale and that would be from teams competing in the latter stages of the CL.

Complete hyperbolic nonsense here, I'm afraid. We're not having a good season at all but this idea of "sell everyone and everything" attitude of ‘fans’ chucking their toys out of the pram is dim-witted.
This is precisely the delusion I was talking about. Rashford's dreadful performance has little to do with confidence or form. Neither of which make you not want to track back, pass the ball, or mindlessly dribble into 4 people.

You take Rashford for a significantly better player than he actually is. During his best form he was an above average, but still very limited, footballer. He was fast, strong and willing to put a shift in, and he fit the style of play of the team, but he was still woefully deficient in the more technical aspects of the game. He was young back then, so it was reasonable to expect he would develop further and expand his skill set. But he didn't and he hasn't. For the last 2 years his development has ground to a halt. Some might say he has even regressed. Not in the least of course due to his injury, Ole's deficient coaching, and the tendency of the club to hand out ridiculous contracts at the drop of a hat. To makes matters worse, he seems to have also bought into his hype way too much and is behaving like a 35-year-old on his last contract. But he has neither the experience, the skill or the reputation to do that.

As a result, we are now paying 250k/week to an average and incredibly limited football player with an inflated ego. We shouldn't be doing that, particularly if we are planning to play any other system than... whatever we played under Ole. In fact, I think Rashford himself could benefit from a change of scenery. A transfer might give him the reality check he desperately needs.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The manager said only last week he has no injury issues
Well that's not an injury issue - that's a injury that has gotten better but has left him not feeling or playing to the way he was before. His back injury can be better, but it can still leave him not moving around like he did before.

Again, Kaka had no injury issues after injury - but he wasn't the same player.

MUFC OK

This is precisely the delusion I was talking about. Rashford's dreadful performance has little to do with confidence or form. Neither of which make you not want to track back, pass the ball, or mindlessly dribble into 4 people.

You take Rashford for a significantly better player than he actually is. During his best form he was an above average, but still very limited, footballer.
He was fast, strong and willing to put a shift in, and he fit the style of play of the team, but he was still woefully deficient in the more technical aspects of the game. He was young back then, so it was reasonable to expect he would develop further and expand his skill set. But he didn't and he hasn't. For the last 2 years his development has ground to a halt. Some might say he has even regressed. Not in the least of course due to his injury, Ole's deficient coaching, and the tendency of the club to hand out ridiculous contracts at the drop of a hat. To makes matters worse, he seems to have also bought into his hype way too much and is behaving like a 35-year-old on his last contract. But he has neither the experience, the skill or the reputation to do that.
Regarding the first bolded part, have you ever played football? Overthinking it, overplaying it inaccurate passing and poor decision making are absolutely symptoms of a player who is low on confidence.

I know I saw him score more goals than Mane last season, including 6 goals in 6 in the champions league. 22 and 21 goals in the two seasons before this one and he was injured half of 20/21. I'd say those are the stats of a pretty good player, who is yet to turn 25. Some players don't just go on a linear trajectory to greatness season after season, and it doesnt mean they must be sold immediately.

I don't understand the vitriol towards him. The lack of workrate isn't acceptable and he needs to do better but that's why he isn't starting at present. We've invested years in Rashford the player and so I don't see us getting rid at all this summer. It would be a rash decision.

SmallCaine

Well that's not an injury issue - that's a injury that has gotten better but has left him not feeling or playing to the way he was before. His back injury can be better, but it can still leave him not moving around like he did before.

Again, Kaka had no injury issues after injury - but he wasn't the same player.
If he has as many issues as his fan boys think he has, he should just retire then. If you are so affected by an injury that you can't run anymore, maybe football ain't for you.

SmallCaine

Regarding the first bolded part, have you ever played football? Overthinking it, overplaying it inaccurate passing and poor decision making are absolutely symptoms of a player who is low on confidence.

I know I saw him score more goals than Mane last season, including 6 goals in 6 in the champions league. 22 and 21 goals in the two seasons before this one and he was injured half of 20/21. I'd say those are the stats of a pretty good player, who is yet to turn 25. Some players don't just go on a linear trajectory to greatness season after season, and it doesnt mean they must be sold immediately.

I don't understand the vitriol towards him. The lack of workrate isn't acceptable and he needs to do better but that's why he isn't starting at present. We've invested years in Rashford the player and so I don't see us getting rid at all this summer. It would be a rash decision.
A strategy that has worked so well with jones and lingard.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How has no one told him that his dribbling isn’t good enough?

Kaos

I see a lot of us willing to give him time to get over his poor form and are willing to be more patient with him because he' an academy graduate and local lad. It's exactly this sort of sentiment which symbolises our dropping in standards. Sir Alex had no qualms binning the likes of Ravel Morrison or selling Danny Welbeck to Arsenal once he realised they weren't up to it, and I'd wager he would have lost patience with Rashford by now too.

We can't simply carry on coddling players like him, Lingard and Henderson (not academy but joined us young) and obliging them with massive contracts to keep them at the club, hoping they come good. We should take a leaf out of our rival's books - once you ascertain they aren't good enough, fetch a sizeable fee for them and move on to recruiting better players. Look how ruthless City have been with their younger players, look how much money Chelsea have been able to garner from players they deem no longer good enough. Its only us that seem to have this bizarre notion of keeping them on for the sake of sentiment or "protecting our assets". The best time to sell Rashford is now, fail to do that and we're either obliged to give him a massive new contract, hoping he returns to his level from years ago (ridiculous for a young player), or losing him on a free like Lingard.

Greck

Come on now, form issues can affect execution but they don't make a player unintelligent. This is the same Rashford he has always been but without license to shoot. Even on form he was boneheaded. The only difference between this Rashford and on form Rashford is slashed shooting opportunities and no longer playing counterattacking football.

Even his actual goal comps contain a lot of stupid shooting decisions where passing made more sense, bad decisions that panned out but were doomed to become a problem if we ever modernised. On form a fair amount of his goals also came off counter situations against retreating defensive lines, he wasn't exactly bossing it in general play. What we're seeing isn't just form, it's a very limited striker struggling to transition his game to a modern style.

Last edited:

Doracle

Exactly this. Worth also noting that he has the same goals and assists as Sancho this season, despite clearly being miles off his best form, having been injured for a significant period and having been played out of position regularly.

Currently, both the club and the fans should be giving him a lot of support. We need him back in form. Of course, he also needs to get his head down. If the media reports we’ve seen are coming out of his camp, then that is really disappointing. If we get a new manager in, he has a full pre-season, and he’s still a shadow of his former self next season, that’s when we should properly be discussing his future.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

He's been absolute shit since the 2nd part of the 2020/21 season

Some of these goals and assists compeltely mask how bad he was but he's been playing injured so we're supposed to ignore these performances, Right?

Greck

Exactly this. Worth also noting that he has the same goals and assists as Sancho this season, despite clearly being miles off his best form, having been injured for a significant period and having been played out of position regularly.

Currently, both the club and the fans should be giving him a lot of support. We need him back in form. Of course, he also needs to get his head down. If the media reports we’ve seen are coming out of his camp, then that is really disappointing. If we get a new manager in, he has a full pre-season, and he’s still a shadow of his former self next season, that’s when we should properly be discussing his future.
Sancho has only just come good but before that spent half the season being doubted as a flop so I definitely don't think that's a very impressive stat. Also, Sancho is the most anti-Rashford player I can think of, comparing their out of context stats couldn't be more misleading. Two players can finish with 1 goal and 1 assist and it may not even be close who had a better game.

MUFC OK

He's been absolute shit since the 2nd part of the 2020/21 season

Some of these goals and assists compeltely mask how bad he was but he's been playing injured so we're supposed to ignore these performances, Right?
Didn't say that did I. Yeah he's been very poor since second half of 20/21, part of which he was carrying injuries - do you not think that was a factor?

Flip side - he was on 18 goals in the first half of last season. Is that too far in the distant past now?

Won't commenting on this thread anymore but certain Rashford will be here next season. Cheers.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

So when do you think the decision should be made? The end of next season when he has 1 year left on his contract? And then what? succumb to his demand of improved wage regardless of how he perform, or losing him for free with him possibly do a Lingard with ZERO care for his last year?

Club need to decide of either him sign a new contract this Summer, or just let him go.
People need to think long-term, just as this Club should be.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

This is a load of bollocks. His injury has got nothing to do with what happened against City. He has just come on as a sub and he was not arsed enough to move than 10 feet of where he was standing when they attacked us. Lingard who was playing as the furthest forward player in that move ran back to help. Rashford was the 5 furthest forward player when the ball was in the City half and when DeGea had to make that save he was the furthest forward player. He did not move beyond 10 feet. It has got nothing to do with any injury. He should be sold unless he changes his attitude immediately.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
If Rashford played for another club, would anybody here be interested in buying him?
That sums this whole debate up nicely. Take away the off field activities, the Utd DNA, the academy starlet and there is no Utd fan ever wanting to buy a 2022 Rashford from another club.
Absolutely no way

stw2022

He has one of those special injuries that only kicks in when the opposition has the ball and he's asked to do defensive work. For two years it's been the same: fit enough to make himself available, too injured to put in a shift. When he's running into dead-ends with the ball that's the fault of his shoulder injury. It's well known shoulder injuries impact decision making. You can tell when Rashford has a new injury because he stands still. It's either that or memory of an old injury he had in the last two years has returned. It happens most of the time, bless him.

Plus he hasn't recovered from hasalotonhisminditis. Maybe he should go on Lorraine and talk about it.

When people say he's the epitome of the football club these days, its heart and soul - I agree, but I don't think that's a positive thing at all.

Maniron

It feels like the time is right for Marcus to move on. He hasn't managed to fulfil his early potential and it it appears his heart is no longer with the club. Whether this is in part due to his off field activities or the seemingly never ending conveyor belt of hapless managers, he needs a change.

A new club offers him a second chance and more game time and hopefully we can get a decent fee for him . Hard to see our top 3 rivals coming in to him.

hobbers

Won't commenting on this thread anymore but certain Rashford will be here next season. Cheers.
No doubt. Just like we're all certain he'll never regain his status as a regular starter here and that his career will fizzle out like Welbeck's.

Greck

I think the agitation is because he wants to make the world cup team. It's not a coincidence all our fringe players all of a sudden want to immediately get first team minutes at any cost. The problem here is he has no right to ask for playing time. Unlike the other fringe players who couldn't get a game Rashford was actually backed pretty extensively.

It's beyond tone deaf entitlement to be asking for playing time after the wicked embarrassing fashion he just lost his place, I mean it can't be understated that he had almost no competition for his place in the XI and still lost it. Between he and Sancho we only had 2 wide forwards in the entire senior team thanks to all the departures. He didn't even have to play well, he just had to play average to below average to be guaranteed a start.

Last edited:

erinoco

Supports
Arsenal
Sir Alex had no qualms binning the likes of Ravel Morrison or selling Danny Welbeck to Arsenal once he realised they weren't up to it, and I'd wager he would have lost patience with Rashford by now too.
It was van Gaal who let Welbeck leave, and it did take a lot off the pitch for Ferguson to finally lose patience with Morrison.

Trex

Alternative take on Rashford current situation.
At the moment Rashford is totally out of form, his level isn't good enough, but so is Ronaldo, Ronaldo is possibly worst, yet he gets to start every game playing 90 mins.
Could this be demoralizing Rashford, seeing as the club he has given everything to would prefer 37 year old past it Ronaldo over him, is there any sporting benefit to persist with Ronaldo who is even more likely to walk away before Rashford and has less to offer medium to long term.

BarstoolProphet

I praised his workrate during the first half, but he fell off a cliff in the second. Looks completely done as a player. Wouldnt even attempt to outrun PEH.

Last edited:

Telsim

Worst player on the pitch. Again. I don't know what's up with him. He always does the same thing. Mindlessly runs around a lot to no avail for a while, and then stops running at all. And then does nothing or gives the ball away. Awful.

Idxomer

The problem isn't with his efforts these days, his insane pace seems to have completely gone which is a huge worry for him.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Thought he wasn't bad in the first half which basically means not a liability at the moment. Second half he just fades away as much if not more than some of our geriatric contingent. Matic looked gassed but he's like 40, not sure what Rashford's excuse is as Sancho still looks up for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.