Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's fair -

But possesion isn't just about passing; it's just as important to have good positioning as said in Pep's 3 P's; and this has to be done by both him and his team mates.

Rashford played a much more simplified game under Van Gaal so I hope that Ten Hag can bring something up again for the whole team where they have things like the right positioning for things like passing and pressure. When watching City, the football is not jaw dropping passing, its actually a very simple pass to a player literally next to them that me and you could do on the football pitch, so Rashford should be able to do it.

Then there is the variety of players that cohesively make a team - an inverted forward like Rashford doesn't get the best out of a striker like Ronaldo and just as important; vice versa. This is probably why Sancho has been our primary LW this season because he gets the better out of Ronaldo more than Rashford.

I do agree that he is very counter attacking based player but I also feel like that's the easiest way for him to play football. After the debut under Van Gaal he has only had physical defensive football (at times park the bus football) under Jose and then individualised soak the pressure counter attacking football under Ole. I'm personally not seeing any sort of team tactic under Rangnick.

It's why I feel like I can wait and see him under Ten Hag. Ten Hag is a manager that should be able to get a team playing to a cohesive team tactic written on the white board - if Rashford is not good enough at that point then he is no use for anyone at all.
Don't think Rashford would be able to do that as he can't even get simple move right most of the time when facing teams packing their back behind the balls. He only work well with space, hence only fast counter attack football suit him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Don't think Rashford would be able to do that as he can't even get simple move right most of the time when facing teams packing their back behind the balls. He only work well with space, hence only fast counter attack football suit him.
I get that but again, I dont think football is all that simple anymore. We have teams playing against City passing the ball around until the space opens up. We have teams like Liverpool on the other hand giving no space at all.

I'm currently seeing Sancho not getting past anyone. Ronaldo not being able to dribble, have any sort of first touch or pass. No team work whatsoever that opens up space or fools anyone apart from Bruno's high risk passes. Rashford is horrible at helping others just as much as others are horrible at helping the others too or fooling the opposition together as a team.

If he is a possesion based manager, then at his absolute worst Ten Hag should have us playing cohesively but slow like Van Gaal. A team tactic and a team game again. Rashford will stand out as a weak or even incoherent type of football player.

Right now he is shit but so are his team mates. He is getting called a low work rate player but so are his team mates. Let Ten Hag build something again and let's see if Rashford is a worthwhile brick off a multiple brick building or just a piece of mud amongst a multiple brick building.

Cloud7

Historically - good pace and movement, ability to beat players down the left wing, a powerful right footed shot with little back lift that caught keepers off guard and an ability to take half chances utterly clinically. That last one usually came in games where he'd already messed up a couple of easier chances mind but the one he scored would be perfect.

He was very hard to defend against and if he'd improved his decision making when it came to whether to shoot or pass (usually he went for the former but he did also sometimes mix it up by attempting a pass that wasn't on when he had a very good chance) then he would've been one of the league's best players. There was a period after the lockdown break when he looked like he wasn't that far off.

These days - he is contracted to play football for Manchester United, usually available for selection, and over the age of 16. Which is something we've been quite light on since end of January.
:lol:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Hopefully we play as a team next season and then it becomes obvious if Rashford can keep to team standards or not.

Right now he has been horrible in a horrible team, showing no work rate in a team that has no work ethic or understanding. Its why I don't feel like picking on him like he is the single cause of our problems.
To be honest I don't think Rashford is a team player at all. In 200 PL games he's provided 32 assists which for his position is very low. Even in his best form his strength was running at defenders normally culminating in him having a shot at goal. Very similar type player as Sterling and I suppose if Pep is prolonging his career maybe there's still hope for Rashford. For me it's the lack of football intelligence where Rashford is going to struggle, which in a functioning team is a very important component.

One stat which did surprise me is in 200 PL games he's only scored 1 free kick which considering his technique is also remarkably low although not a biggie in the grand scale of things.

Esquire

For the sake of his career and that of the club, really think he can and should consider other clubs. This marriage is joyless, as plain as day. He needs a fresh start, maybe less pressure elsewhere. And we need to free up that wage bill.

gajender

To be honest I don't think Rashford is a team player at all. In 200 PL games he's provided 32 assists which for his position is very low. Even in his best form his strength was running at defenders normally culminating in him having a shot at goal. Very similar type player as Sterling and I suppose if Pep is prolonging his career maybe there's still hope for Rashford. For me it's the lack of football intelligence where Rashford is going to struggle, which in a functioning team is a very important component.

One stat which did surprise me is in 200 PL games he's only scored 1 free kick which considering his technique is also remarkably low although not a biggie in the grand scale of things.
He is nowhere near Sterling in terms of talent and nor he is anything similar to him when it comes to Style of play . Sterling overall assists stats as well goals scored despite him being poor finisher are significantly better than Rashford and his overall game has always been on a different level to Rashford .

mctrials23

United wouldn't sell Rashford for under £80m IMO. Hes not worth half that at the moment and his wages are frankly laughable but that is what they would want. Hes a marketing home run for the club and they don't care about much else.

mctrials23

I genuinely find the hate for him astonishing.
Is it hate or is it just people who are sick of players at the club getting paid insane wages and putting in the bare minimum. I don't hate Rashford but I wouldn't care one bit if he was sold.

Paid over £200k/week
Complains a lot and quite publicly
Seems far more interested in matters off the field than on
Doesn't work for the team
Looks miserable when playing for us
Hasn't improved in a long time and has in fact regressed

Whats not to love eh.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He is nowhere near Sterling in terms of talent and nor he is anything similar to him when it comes to Style of play . Sterling overall assists stats as well goals scored despite him being poor finisher are significantly better than Rashford and his overall game has always been on a different level to Rashford .
As team players both are pretty similar. The only difference is Sterling has Pep while Rashford had Mourinho and Ole which obviously hasn't helped his development. Both are frustrating running down blind alleys. Both are selfish although Sterling does have a little more trickery in his armour.

You say Sterling has a significantly higher goals and assists ratio to Rashford isn't really accurate. Sterling scores every 0.34 per match while Rashford scores every 0.29 which isn't a great difference. On the assists side Sterling has a ratio of 54 in 314 games, while Rashford has a ratio of 32 in 200 games. Once again, not lot of difference.

Individually Sterling is obviously the better player but as team players I don't think there's a lot of difference between the 2.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm thinking we'll be making the same mistake we did on Pogba with Rashford. I'm not talking about Pogba's exit under Fergie. I'm talking about how we should've sold Pogba when he had time on his contract and a bit of value despite having not fulfilled anything close to his potential at the club.

We'll renew his contract for big money, and then watch on in muted resignation as Rashford continually disappoints year after year while his contract runs down.

AndySmith1990

I'm thinking we'll be making the same mistake we did on Pogba with Rashford. I'm not talking about Pogba's exit under Fergie. I'm talking about how we should've sold Pogba when he had time on his contract and a bit of value despite having not fulfilled anything close to his potential at the club.

We'll renew his contract for big money, and then watch on in muted resignation as Rashford continually disappoints year after year while his contract runs down.
I don't understand why we are so against selling players. We seem more interested in tying them down on long contracts with inflated wages regardless of performance. We are often told its to protect their value. But we never see any of that so-called value come back into the club to get reinvested. They become deadwood and we lose all the value.

mctrials23

I don't understand why we are so against selling players. We seem more interested in tying them down on long contracts with inflated wages regardless of performance. We are often told its to protect their value. But we never see any of that so-called value come back into the club to get reinvested. They become deadwood and we lose all the value.
Because he is fantastically marketable and in a team full of individuals he is easily one of our best when he is on form.

The club is always scared of losing any player that is good because we are a team that relies so heavily on the individual.

Marwood

We've sold loads of players over the last 8 years.

The problem is we keep replacing them with the wrong types and soon end up needing to sell them as well.

So it's this constant loop of selling and restocking and selling and restocking etc etc.

On Rashford to have already sold him would have been premature. You can't sell what looked like a very good player that soon after a bad period. You have to give them a good chunk of time to sort it out.

How long that period is is hard to say. Feels like we're approaching it now though.

Marwood

He will get next season at the very most if the club have even half a brain. They also won't give him a pay rise.
Yeah agree. I think that'd be about right. Hopefully we reinforce in the summer as well and don't go into next season counting on him to return to form. We did that last summer and it's gone horribly wrong.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Yeah agree. I think that'd be about right. Hopefully we reinforce in the summer as well and don't go into next season counting on him to return to form. We did that last summer and it's gone horribly wrong.
Same people want to give him 1 more summer are the same people who will complain when we fail to sell him next year with 1 year on his contract and again the same people who will complain if we try protecting the asset value by extending the contract

I would sell.

romufc

Same people want to give him 1 more summer are the same people who will complain when we fail to sell him next year with 1 year on his contract and again the same people who will complain if we try protecting the asset value by extending the contract

I would sell.
Agreed. If the fans want ETH as manager, they understand that he is not a counter attack type manager, he wants to keep possession and wants players to have their defined roles. Unfortunately, Rashford does not suit this because he is not very good with intricate play, neither can he play a defined role, he doesn't know what he will do himself before the ball comes to him.

Get rid this summer and get Nkuku to replace him.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Agreed. If the fans want ETH as manager, they understand that he is not a counter attack type manager, he wants to keep possession and wants players to have their defined roles. Unfortunately, Rashford does not suit this because he is not very good with intricate play, neither can he play a defined role, he doesn't know what he will do himself before the ball comes to him.

That would really show me the club are serious about prioritizing football over brands which is why it will never happen

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I kept an eye at times where we were phasing out the game vs Everton, and on transition runs I still saw Rashford walking toward the middle of the pitch as Everton were into a counter attack. It was so frustrating to watch, and this is absolutely nothing to do with confidence or technical ability. There just isn't an excuse.

romufc

That would really show me the club are serious about prioritizing football over brands which is why it will never happen
Correct. Letting Rashford go would be a massive show of change in culture and environment. It would even send a message to the players saying buckle up or you can leave.

romufc

I kept an eye at times where we were phasing out the game vs Everton, and on transition runs I still saw Rashford walking toward the middle of the pitch as Everton were into a counter attack. It was so frustrating to watch, and this is absolutely nothing to do with confidence or technical ability. There just isn't an excuse.
Correct. We cannot afford to carry players like him in a team. Players like Ronaldo who have done it and produce over 15 years just about get away with it.

Rashford has no reason why he cannot run, he is 24, peak of his fitness and he cannot be asked to run for the team?

What is even more frustrating is, when he is given the chances, he doesn't come across as he wants to impress either.

Bebestation

I'm sad that I might not be able to get to see the way Rashford was playing before his back pain.

It was great to watch.

Shame if it never comes to force when entering his prime years no matter the reason why.

Bebestation

Correct. We cannot afford to carry players like him in a team. Players like Ronaldo who have done it and produce over 15 years just about get away with it.

Rashford has no reason why he cannot run, he is 24, peak of his fitness and he cannot be asked to run for the team?

What is even more frustrating is, when he is given the chances, he doesn't come across as he wants to impress either.
This is personally why I believe we don't see any Gegenpressing. Some players do it and some people do not. A team can't gegenpress when that happens.

romufc

This is personally why I believe we don't see any Gegenpressing. Some players do it and some people do not. A team can't gegenpress when that happens.
Ofcourse not. There is no way this group of players can press high. This means you have to win your individual duels. I can't think of any player in our starting 11 that can win their individual duals. I see players go past our midfield like they aren't there. Our full backs cannot really deal with 1 v 1 situations, neither can our CB's.

I think we will need to make some signings that fit the profile for it to work. I can see Rashford chasing after a ball but, he will chase it then give up, thats not pressing. Pressing is when you consistently hound the opponent making it hard for them to pass or dribble past you.

Our press is run towards the ball, over run and the opponent plays a one - two or does a shimmy and our press is broke.

Foxbatt

We did press against Palace. I would like to know what happened after that? Maybe Ralf would tell after he leaves United.
As for Rashford he is already a footballing legend in his own mind. That's probably why he doesn't make an effort. The same with Greenwood too by the way.

Devil81

Personally I think he should be given a chance under a fresh manager. He's defo been piss poor but of all the under performing stars I think he's the one who could get his career back on track.

If he doesn't improve ship him out in the next window or summer.

led_scholes

Personally I think he should be given a chance under a fresh manager. He's defo been piss poor but of all the under performing stars I think he's the one who could get his career back on track.

If he doesn't improve ship him out in the next window or summer.
I don't get this. He has underperformed for more than 12 months. Even before the league one form, he was never close to being the best player of the league and was far from being world class. Take away that he is mancunian and people would rightly pay the plane that would take him far from us.

Fans booed Nani, a player more talented than Rashford and who had offered and achieved far more than Rashford could ever dream, yet we treat Rashford as a sacred cow.

Elcabron

This is why I cannot stand him. No problem with bad form etc but the constant lack of effort and then considering his future really pisses me off.

He has clearly lost his humbleness and let his ego get in the way.

mctrials23

I don't get this. He has underperformed for more than 12 months. Even before the league one form, he was never close to being the best player of the league and was far from being world class. Take away that he is mancunian and people would rightly pay the plane that would take him far from us.

Fans booed Nani, a player more talented than Rashford and who had offered and achieved far more than Rashford could ever dream, yet we treat Rashford as a sacred cow.
Nani was a frustrating talent in a quality side which had the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney in it. Rashford was a bright spark in a side that had little else to be excited about.

A rich man going on his 3rd holiday to Dubai this year isn't as excited as the minimum wage worker going to the Costa del Sol. Its all relative.

Unfortunately the kind of player Rashford is doesn't really suit any sort of modern team at the top of the game. He would be good in a smaller team that counter attacks a lot but he doesn't have the technical chops to excel in a team that dominates and is required to break down the opposition in a low block.

led_scholes

Nani was a frustrating talent in a quality side which had the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney in it. Rashford was a bright spark in a side that had little else to be excited about.

A rich man going on his 3rd holiday to Dubai this year isn't as excited as the minimum wage worker going to the Costa del Sol. Its all relative.

Unfortunately the kind of player Rashford is doesn't really suit any sort of modern team at the top of the game. He would be good in a smaller team that counter attacks a lot but he doesn't have the technical chops to excel in a team that dominates and is required to break down the opposition in a low block.
Peak Nani was when there was no Ronaldo and Rooney was Awol or injured. He was also good for his national team. And don't tell me 2016 was a better team than England in 2021 or even 2018.

MrEleson

Peak Nani was when there was no Ronaldo and Rooney was Awol or injured. He was also good for his national team. And don't tell me 2016 was a better team than England in 2021 or even 2018.
Peak Nani was 09-11 which coincided with Rooney’s peak. As a winger, he was 3x the player Rashford is (who’s not even really a winger in the true sense of the word) and also a better player than Sancho.

Last edited:

AmanNits04

I would say let him have one more season under Ten hag, let's see how he performs he performs under a manager who can setup good tactics, if he still doesn't perform or doesn't put in any effort, then sell him. I still have hope he can be a player we all wish him to be.

r1z3mu

First - Rashford is not going to be sold. End of story. People just need to lower expectations.
Second - his "football IQ". No matter position if you often make wrong decisions your game will suffer. That can be alleviated by finally bring real coach (not going to name some previous dilettantes).

Bebestation

I would say let him have one more season under Ten hag, let's see how he performs he performs under a manager who can setup good tactics, if he still doesn't perform or doesn't put in any effort, then sell him. I still have hope he can be a player we all wish him to be.
Exactly.

Ten Hag is not going to come here and give players a freedom to play as they want.

Rashford is going to have to adapt to play Ten Hag football and if he doesn't then he will have to go.

It's the benefit of having a "philosophy" - because ultimately the players have to listen, learn and adapt like it was an education.

Status
Not open for further replies.