4.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mctrials23

In terms of being in an underperforming team, Ronaldo was part of an underwhelming era at United the first time around. He went through the inconsistencies and frustrations that a lot of players go through. He was incredibly exciting at times of course, but he was also incredibly frustrating. Social media wasn't a thing so we can't say what he would, or would not, have been doing and it is unfair to speculate. He did mature early and rid his game of those inconsistencies younger than 99% of other players though which as you say is probably borne out of that work ethic and self-belief.
The difference was that Ronaldo was erratic in outcome but not erratic in application. This has been one of our biggest issues over the last 10 years or so. Previously a player could be erratic in their form but if their application was not there the manager would have binned them off quickly. We now give players silly contracts for showing a hint of talent and then massage their egos as they stroll around the pitch putting in 60% of the effort they should be.

Effort levels and application are probably about 70-80% of our problem at the moment. This isn't a bad set of players. If you could click your fingers and they suddenly had the mentality of the current Liverpool side I reckon we would be competing for the league for most of the season. Problem is, they don't give a shit. They don't do what they are asked and they down tools at the slightest provocation or opportunity. Thats why so many of them need to go. Its mentality, not skill.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Wish we’d got this sorted and nipped it in the bud when he came back walking post lockdown. The stats and :lol: mob along with his wall to wall PR made me feel like I was slowly going mad. No lads, he’s just shit, one of the laziest and most predictable forwards in the league and has been for ages.

JB7

The difference was that Ronaldo was erratic in outcome but not erratic in application. This has been one of our biggest issues over the last 10 years or so. Previously a player could be erratic in their form but if their application was not there the manager would have binned them off quickly. We now give players silly contracts for showing a hint of talent and then massage their egos as they stroll around the pitch putting in 60% of the effort they should be.

Effort levels and application are probably about 70-80% of our problem at the moment. This isn't a bad set of players. If you could click your fingers and they suddenly had the mentality of the current Liverpool side I reckon we would be competing for the league for most of the season. Problem is, they don't give a shit. They don't do what they are asked and they down tools at the slightest provocation or opportunity. Thats why so many of them need to go. Its mentality, not skill.
Look don't think for one minute I was defending Rashford in that comparison, I was playing devil's advocate of sorts. I've tried to stay on his side as much as possible in the past but it's nigh on impossible to offer any kind of defence for him this year.

stw2022

The rot set in when he became undroppable under Ole. There was no incentive to work hard because he didn’t need to in order to retain his place in the side. He was also being treated like a national hero at the same time.

When you’re playing every week for your club, having every sport and news journalists in the country licking you balls and being more popular in the country at large than an orgasm it’s going to hit you once all that stops. I think his form hasn’t been helped by what could be described as a fairly petulant reaction to the fact all of the above got taken away for one reason or another over the last few months.

jem

Stopped reading at 'managed to get good amount of goals and assists'. That's his job mate. Last season he got similar numbers to Sadio Mane.

This season has been a disaster for him but he's not alone. Other than DDG and Ronaldo the whole lot of them have been atrocious. It's not ability that's letting us down. It's blatantly obvious the squad have all fallen out.
He was garbage from the second half of last season on. His United career has been all about potential, with the reality being that he's only ever really come close to fulfilling that potential in the 2019-20 season (he was particularly great before he got injured.) He's been with us roughly the same amount of time as Luke Shaw (particularly when you factor in Shaw's long rehab from a horrific injury.) I'd say their careers have been roughly equal in terms of success, with each having one very good season (2019-20 for Rashford; last season for Shaw); a handful of decent seasons, and several very forgettable ones.

Bwuk

Looking forward to his inevitable 2/10 performance tomorrow and tweet after the game.

SuperiorXI

You can’t swing your dick so publicly when your stats this season are that poor, and your standing within football in terms of quality isn’t that great.

Imagine going up to Ferguson in the 90s with that, he‘d laugh and tell you to feck off.
There's a story of Giggs I think it was, he was young and in the first team playing really well, the senior players encouraged him to go and ask for a company car like they had. Anyway he went and asked Fergie and let's just say it didn't end well.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
if he comes back focused and working hard, he will be like a new signing. I highly doubt that though. Too much damage has been made to his ego. Elanga will probably outjump him in the pecking order and he will down his tools and eventually leaves. Let's hope I am wrong.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'd hate the club if they indeed gave him improved contract after all this debacle.

Really wish he could just feck off but knowing he wont. He'll milk the club dry for another big contract. I hope ETH seriously isolate this player. His media twisting is vomit inducing

Foxbatt

There's a story of Giggs I think it was, he was young and in the first team playing really well, the senior players encouraged him to go and ask for a company car like they had. Anyway he went and asked Fergie and let's just say it didn't end well.
He basically told him to Eff Off and a lot more.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He was garbage from the second half of last season on. His United career has been all about potential, with the reality being that he's only ever really come close to fulfilling that potential in the 2019-20 season (he was particularly great before he got injured.) He's been with us roughly the same amount of time as Luke Shaw (particularly when you factor in Shaw's long rehab from a horrific injury.) I'd say their careers have been roughly equal in terms of success, with each having one very good season (2019-20 for Rashford; last season for Shaw); a handful of decent seasons, and several very forgettable ones.
Totally disagree. Rashford, up until this season, has been perfectly fine. Nowhere near one of our worst players over the last 5 years.

This season has been an utter disaster for him but I think we are starting to find out why. The whole team seems to have fallen out so there's no way it's being changed until next season.

Rashford isn't a bad player. He's just a bit lost at the moment. Bruno gone the same way too.

9 Stone Elvis

The thing is that story about Giggs was when he was a young player who had just broken through, and those rows were what kept his feet on the ground as he matured. Rashford seemed fine when he was that age, fact is he isnt a kid any more , he's 25 this year. What he is now is what he is. Its all about the hits, the PR, the spin and very little about the effort and the football. Like most of this side I really dont care what they (or their people) tweet after the game, I can see their desire and commitment levels just by watching the game.

mctrials23

Totally disagree. Rashford, up until this season, has been perfectly fine. Nowhere near one of our worst players over the last 5 years.
My issue with Rashford and many like him is that in my view, you salary dictates the standards you are held to.

Rashford is on borderline world class money and he is playing like someone who should be on under £100k/week and I think thats generous. He is also not helping himself with his lack of fight on the pitch. The fans have endless patience for a player if they give their all when they play. What fans can't stand is a player who takes home one of the largest salaries in the club and doesn't seem to give a shit when he puts on the shirt.

It doesn't matter that hes not one of the worst players over the past few years, it matters that he is not one of out best in any metric. He just doesn't seem to give a shit and takes the fans for mugs with his constant PRs.

This season has been an utter disaster for him but I think we are starting to find out why. The whole team seems to have fallen out so there's no way it's being changed until next season.

Rashford isn't a bad player. He's just a bit lost at the moment. Bruno gone the same way too.
He's not just a bit lost. This has been coming for 2 or 3 years now. He hasn't developed his game at all and now his pace in behind isn't working, he's hopeless. He needs to go to a team lower down the league that sits deep and allows him to make those runs. He's finished at the top level already, I'm quite confident of that.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Look how good he is, and you want him out..
"Someone's only gone and snatched the ball off Rashy after a teammate gave it to him. Can anyone in the stadium yell at him to track back and get it back instead of throwing arms at the ref acting like he's not allowed to be tackled?"

Doracle

My issue with Rashford and many like him is that in my view, you salary dictates the standards you are held to.

Rashford is on borderline world class money and he is playing like someone who should be on under £100k/week and I think thats generous. He is also not helping himself with his lack of fight on the pitch. The fans have endless patience for a player if they give their all when they play. What fans can't stand is a player who takes home one of the largest salaries in the club and doesn't seem to give a shit when he puts on the shirt.

It doesn't matter that hes not one of the worst players over the past few years, it matters that he is not one of out best in any metric. He just doesn't seem to give a shit and takes the fans for mugs with his constant PRs.
He has been one of our best until this season though (and the tail end of last season but I think that’s more excusable). Do I think he deserves a £200k salary? No, I don’t think he’d be earning that anywhere else but we overpay our players and when it was signed his performance/importance to us meant it was reasonable in our wage structure.

As it is, this season has clearly been a write off for him for whatever reason. He’s got to hit the ground running next year and be back to the Rashford of old. In the meantime, I would like to see RR using him on the left for the majority of the last few games and just try and get his confidence back in front of goal.

youmeletsfly

He has been one of our best until this season though (and the tail end of last season but I think that’s more excusable). Do I think he deserves a £200k salary? No, I don’t think he’d be earning that anywhere else but we overpay our players and when it was signed his performance/importance to us meant it was reasonable in our wage structure.

As it is, this season has clearly been a write off for him for whatever reason. He’s got to hit the ground running next year and be back to the Rashford of old. In the meantime, I would like to see RR using him on the left for the majority of the last few games and just try and get his confidence back in front of goal.
He's been one of the better performers for a season, but not even close to "one of our best", let's be honest about it.
There was a guy who was tracking his stats in the season he got 20-25 goals and, at the end, he still missed about 10 sitters and, if I'm not wrong, he was the one in the team who lost possession the most.

I hope he finds a way to turn it around, even if I don't like him at all. But, let's be honest, for the antics he's thrown in the last 2 seasons, if he would've played for a different club/manager, he would've been booted a long time ago.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He was one of my favorite players but his new pr angle is really grinding my gears, its just so obviously bullshit and makes him look dishonest and disingenuous.

It pains me to say this but if we were to get a plus 50 mill offer for him, I think we should sell.

OL29

Who earns more a wage Sancho or Rashford?
You do realise that most fans will be a lot more patient with Sancho given it’s his first season and he’s also a few years younger? He’s also been better than Rashford so you can’t expect the same level of scrutiny.

allen7

He was one of my favorite players but his new pr angle is really grinding my gears, its just so obviously bullshit and makes him look dishonest and disingenuous.

It pains me to say this but if we were to get a plus 50 mill offer for him, I think we should sell.
Some may disagree but this is the first and foremost thing ETH should do because we cannot afford to carry players with poor attitude or no intention to play for this great club. ETH can address areas were we need new signings and change formations to bring the best output but the winning mentality is far more important that that.
Whatever happening with rashford is well beyond form at this point.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

He really doesn't take the piss and he's a Utd fan like us.

People need to grow up and realise this PR stuff is all fake and just part of living in 2022 I'm afraid. I don't like it either but it's the social media age. He probably doesn't even post most of it himself either.

Rashford under a top coach would be playing so much better than this.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United

People need to grow up and realise this PR stuff is all fake and just part of living in 2022 I'm afraid. I don't like it either but it's the social media age. He probably doesn't even post most of it himself either.

Any player who downtools as Rashford obviously has should be let go. Bad form can happen to any player. Lack of effort is inexcusable. United fan my arse.

AndySmith1990

His lack of effort has nothing to do with the quality of the coaching

Idxomer

Playing his favorite opponent in his favorite position, let's see what he does.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Great performance as left back for Chelsea today, didn’t allow United to create anything at that wing

Status
Not open for further replies.