Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stw2022

11 assists

He has played 11 league matches, 3 goals, 2 assists. United would be in league one if not for Rashford's goal scoring form this season
From August until Christmas he played 1131 minutes in the league and scored 4 goals

From mid February until the end of the season in the league it was 3 goals from 948 minutes.

He was in form for 54 days between 27th December to 19th February.

Let's look at Callum Wilson and Ivan Toney and break the season down into thirds

Goals per game average in league:

August - November
Rashford - 1 in 3.5
Wilson - 1 in 1.8
Toney - 1 in 1.3

December - February
Rashford - 1 in 1
Wilson - 1 in 6
Toney - 1 in 1.75

March - May
Rashford - 1 in 3.6
Wilson - 1 in 1.1
Toney 1 in 2

I'm not being unreasonable and comparing him to Haaland. Wilson managed consistency over the majority of the season. Toney consistent throughout. Rashford for two thirds of the campaign was on a goal scoring run you'd expect from someone on course to deliver 10 goals a season.

Yes he played well in that Dec - Feb period. He was on fire. But the third of the season that came before that and the third that came after it in my opinion he still exemplifies why the manager shouldn't go forward with plans to make him an integral part of a starting XI. Even in his (equal) best season he's was out of form for two thirds of it. Whilst he played well in those 10 games mid-season he's looked far more like 'old Marcus' throughout most of the league season than the punditry and plaudits would have you believe

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
From August until Christmas he played 1131 minutes in the league and scored 4 goals

From mid February until the end of the season in the league it was 3 goals from 948 minutes.

Let's look at Callum Wilson and Ivan Toney and break the season down into thirds

August - November
Rashford - 1 in 3.5
Wilson - 1 in 1.8
Toney - 1 in 1.3

December - February
Rashford - 1 in 1
Wilson - 1 in 6
Toney - 1 in 1.75

March - May
Rashford - 1 in 3.6
Wilson - 1 in 1.1
Toney 1 in 2

I'm not being unreasonable and comparing him to Haaland. Wilson managed consistency over the majority of the season. Toney consistent throughout. Rashford for two thirds of the campaign was on a goal scoring run you'd expect from someone on course to deliver 10 goals a season.

Yes he played well in that Dec - Feb period. He was on fire. But the third of the season that came before that and the third that came after it in my opinion he still exemplifies why the manager shouldn't go forward with plans to make him an integral part of a starting XI. Even in his (equal) best season he's was out of form for two thirds of it. Whilst he played well in those 10 games mid-season he's looked far more like 'old Marcus' throughout most of the league season than the punditry and plaudits would have you believe
Why are you comparing him with strikers and not left wingers?

jesperjaap

August - November
Rashford - 1 in 3.5
Wilson - 1 in 1.8
Toney - 1 in 1.3

December - February
Rashford - 1 in 1
Wilson - 1 in 6
Toney - 1 in 1.75

March - May
Rashford - 1 in 3.6
Wilson - 1 in 1.1
Toney 1 in 2

AGree with the post above it is unfair you comparing him to strikers and its hard to criticise a player that has just scored 30golas, but I still agree with the sentiment that you are making.

Lots of fans wanted Rashford gone jsut 12months ago. We can talk about injuries, managerial problems.....but he had stunk the place out for a fair while regardless, lets not forget that. I was one happy for him to go and can hold my hands up and say, well obviously he has had a very good season....however, liek the point you are making I fell, for me that very good season, the bulk of it has been concentrated into a truly world class spell of 3/4months, take away that spell and its just been a decent season.

That spell was the first time in his career here where I felt they ype and love of him as a player was justified. But I think the last two months of the season he tailed off quite a lot. He ISNT one of the best players in Europe or the world, he doesnt start fro England in my opinion, despite the pace and tricks....his consistency levels arent up there with the best.

Sound harsh knocking him, but for me garnacho obviously has a lot to prove still and progress to....but you can see from his spells from the bench, the effectiveness of game changing moments in the final third, he offers more of a threat in that regard than RAshford. Garnacho is full able to surpass him into the starting eleven next season in my opinion, not be a good back up. Rashford not at his absoltue best for me still isnt as good as cracked up to be, but what a four months it was to be fair

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We won’t win a league with Rashford as our main goal scoring threat.
Every season he has a brief run of goals & form. We need players like him to be on it all season.
He constantly disappears in in big games.
We have relied on him for far too long.
He ain’t world class and will never be.
He constantly disappears in big games???

His record against the big boys is better than Rooney had for us. Just watch the clips back against City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. He scores goals in all these fixtures regularly.

It's almost like you've plucked that opinion from absolutely nowhere mate.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah a real captains performance. Best to save energy during the game by not competing for headers so you can pick your losing teammates off the ground when it's over.
Keane, Bruce etc. would be proud
No need to be a dick. He’s been at the club since he was a tiny kid, has scored 30 goals this season and was commiserating the youngest member of our team after the final whistle. There is nothing mean you should want to say after watching that footage.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yeah a real captains performance. Best to save energy during the game by not competing for headers so you can pick your losing teammates off the ground when it's over.
Where have Martial Antony, Sancho and Weghorst been all season to help him out? Absolutely nowhere.

The stick this lad gets is nothing short of embarrassing from so called fans.

He's just won fans and players player of the year too.

Can't begin to describe the stupidity of this forum these days. Most of you are watching the wrong sport.

Rashford has scored 30 goals and scores against all the big teams consistently. He's got goals against City Liverpool and Arsenal this season as he often does for us. Not sure what else he has to do?

I'd sell every other forward player we own over Rashford with the possible exception of Garnacho as he has the potential to be very special I think. Rashford is miles better than the rest of them and it's not even close.

Baneofthegame

Where have Martial Antony, Sancho and Weghorst been all season to help him out? Absolutely nowhere.

Can't begin to describe the stupidity of this forum these days. Most of you are watching the wrong sport.

Rashford has scored 30 goals and scores against all the big teams consistently. He's got goals against City Liverpool and Arsenal this season as he often does for us. Not sure what else he has to do?

I'd sell every other forward player we own over Rashford with the possible exception of Garnacho as he has the potential to be very special I think. Rashford is miles better than the rest of them and it's not even close.
I think you’ll find many people on here want the four players you refer to sold as well.

It’s not unfair to say he could improve his work rate or other areas when things aren’t going his way.

Not that I want him gone either way.

stw2022

Rashford isn't a "left winger" he's a forward who plays from the left. People know that's what he is but whenever there's criticism of his goalscoring consistency suddenly he becomes a midfielder.

He's in the team to get goals. Therefore he's going to be compared to other players that this also applies to. Whether they play from the left, right, through the middle, number 10, false number 9 or anything else in inbetween

In any event, if people actually want Rashford judged by his link up play instead I'm not sure that's an argument he comes out of as well as either.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think you’ll find many people on here want the four players you refer to sold as well.

It’s not unfair to say he could improve his work rate or other areas when things aren’t going his way.

Not that I want him gone either way.
Him and Bruno are exhausted from carrying us into the top 4 again just like they both did two seasons ago.

Baneofthegame

Him and Bruno are exhausted from carrying us into the top 4 again just like they both did two seasons ago.
Okay then, so anything we don’t like blame fatigue and what we do like is a hero’s effort.

Like I said, I like Rashford, he carried us during a portion of the season which was invaluable to our season, but he can still improve aspects of his game especially some of the basics.

Stacks

Invisible.

30 goals or not, I can’t see us competing for the top honours with him in the starting 11 every game. It’s pointless playing him up top. It should be on the left or on the bench.

In typical United fashion we’ll now give him a £350,000 a week, 5/6 year contract.
easy, we need goals and he has 30 goals in him and is a problem for opposition defence who have to game plan. Just need the other forwards to actually provide some goal scoring threat so it is not all on his shoulders. He could easily be part of a challenging team

August - November
Rashford - 1 in 3.5
Wilson - 1 in 1.8
Toney - 1 in 1.3

December - February
Rashford - 1 in 1
Wilson - 1 in 6
Toney - 1 in 1.75

March - May
Rashford - 1 in 3.6
Wilson - 1 in 1.1
Toney 1 in 2

so you are mad at the spread of goals? His goals kept us in the top 4 race and also advanced us in the cups. He also changes positions depending on who is available so I dont know why you comparing him to those players. Didn't he also score in the final? We need our other forwards to step up like Rashford has and then we'd be an actual threat

exactly. If our other forwards were as productive we'd be challenging

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Think everyone knows my opinion of him by now. He is a striker and that is it for me.
Might not be top end but we should not shoehorn him into WF because is likelier to be better there than in his true position. A wide player that can only beat his man when the ball is ahead of them both, can’t cross or lacks creative vision has no right to be there. If the club think so highly of his goal scoring ability we should bite the bullet and play him as a striker. He goes out of scoring form our whole LS of attack dies with him.
Cheaper to replace him outwide anyway, considering the pool of right footed LFs in football. We can’t continue to hamstrung ourself to individuals to the detriment of progressing a whole team. Play him as a striker and if he doesn’t deliver, we’ll know it wasn’t meant to be.
It might sound I think he is not a good football. No. I think he is a top class striker but not a great winger.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Okay then, so anything we don’t like blame fatigue and what we do like is a hero’s effort.

Like I said, I like Rashford, he carried us during a portion of the season which was invaluable to our season, but he can still improve aspects of his game especially some of the basics.
Everyone in this squad can improve aspects of their game though. This isn't unique to Rashford.

Dve

The "competing for headers" thing is based on one situation when he didn't challenge for the header, but instead waited to see where the ball landed. I agree he should have gone for the ball, but in the end, it doesn't matter much to be first on the ball, when you are in no control of where it lands. I see people labelling his whole performance based on that situation, while I saw no proof otherwise of him not running his socks of. We didn't lose because we didn't try hard enough, we lost to a better team.

Oscar Bonavena

The "competing for headers" thing is based on one situation when he didn't challenge for the header, but instead waited to see where the ball landed. I agree he should have gone for the ball, but in the end, it doesn't matter much to be first on the ball, when you are in no control of where it lands. I see people labelling his whole performance based on that situation, while I saw no proof otherwise of him not running his socks of. We didn't lose because we didn't try hard enough, we lost to a better team.
I wish Haaland "waited to see where the ball landed" instead of challenging for the header that set up Gundogan's goal.

Maybe if Rashford had gone for the header and won it, it would have amounted to nothing, or maybe it would have released a United teammate to start an attack, who knows.

But by chickening out of it (and make no mistake, he did chicken out of it as soon as he saw Rodri (?) going for it) it sent a message that we weren't really up for it, and deflated the fans.

It reminded me of Sancho pulling out of a 50-50 on the edge of our own box when we were under the cosh v Sevilla.

Roy Keane has often said he used to put in a tackle just to get the fans and the rest of the team going. Little, apparently inconsequential things like that can make a big difference in a game. That's what too many of the players on the current team don't get.

Real Name

Spoken like a true Rashford hater. Kudos.

After a season he's had its just incredible you see posts criticising him to the core still and for silly reasons like they still just want to have a pop at him.
One video of him not competing for a header and haters are back at it in masse.

Crimson King

Think everyone knows my opinion of him by now. He is a striker and that is it for me.
Might not be top end but we should not shoehorn him into WF because is likelier to be better there than in his true position. A wide player that can only beat his man when the ball is ahead of them both, can’t cross or lacks creative vision has no right to be there. If the club think so highly of his goal scoring ability we should bite the bullet and play him as a striker. He goes out of scoring form our whole LS of attack dies with him.
Cheaper to replace him outwide anyway, considering the pool of right footed LFs in football. We can’t continue to hamstrung ourself to individuals to the detriment of progressing a whole team. Play him as a striker and if he doesn’t deliver, we’ll know it wasn’t meant to be.
It might sound I think he is not a good football. No. I think he is a top class striker but not a great winger.
Never has so much shit been written so confidently.

Sylar

Yeah that's nonsense and we can't pick and choose what is considered a big game.
A winner v city, essentially the winner v Liverpool, opening the scoring at arsenal.

I agree with those annoyed he didn't challenge for the header. Little things like that do make a difference in games like this (as pointed out, haaland going for a header lead to the first goal).

However rashford has done more good than bad. The break now is good considering he picked up a knock and came back fairly quick but didn't look the same

Real Name

Yeah that's nonsense and we can't pick and choose what is considered a big game.
A winner v city, essentially the winner v Liverpool, opening the scoring at arsenal.

I agree with those annoyed he didn't challenge for the header. Little things like that do make a difference in games like this (as pointed out, haaland going for a header lead to the first goal).

However rashford has done more good than bad. The break now is good considering he picked up a knock and came back fairly quick but didn't look the same
I'm annoyed too but that is now used as an example of him not caring, not being good enough, United not going for trophies with him in the lineup. As per usual. The amount of hate this guy gets never ceases to amaze me.

Sylar

I'm annoyed too but that is now used as an example of him not caring, not being good enough, United not going for trophies with him in the lineup. As per usual. The amount of hate this guy gets never ceases to amaze me.
For me, we have bigger issues. The actual striker position being one, which has meant Rashford has had to move around. I'm trying to think it city, or Liverpool or arsenal had somebody like grealish, Salah, saka respectively have to move from their desired position to up top as much to accommodate the teams lack of balance.

The funny thing is even a competent striker who could get a few goals would have meant rashford mostly on the left and we would have had top4 secured a long time ago.

(Same with Bruno having to move a lot to essentially accomodate lesser players)

The number of games where you look at our bench and think wtf? , And realise rashford limping is still a better option

Real Name

For me, we have bigger issues. The actual striker position being one, which has meant Rashford has had to move around. I'm trying to think it city, or Liverpool or arsenal had somebody like grealish, Salah, saka respectively have to move from their desired position to up top as much to accommodate the teams lack of balance.

The funny thing is even a competent striker who could get a few goals would have meant rashford mostly on the left and we would have had top4 secured a long time ago.

(Same with Bruno having to move a lot to essentially accomodate lesser players)

The number of games where you look at our bench and think wtf? , And realise rashford limping is still a better option
Completely agree. If we buy a proper striker we'll flourish. He carried us this season with his goals all the while shifting positions.
Whatever he does he still gets flak and tons of it. Sad.

GueRed

He's had a great season but Saturday was further proof he isn't a natural CF.
I've said it before his link-up play and work back to goal is average at best. It's slightly improved this season but still it's not quite there yet..

His strength is still on the break and quick on 'transitional' plays attacking the space behind defenders usually from out wide with his devastating pace and powerful shooting.

Oscar Bonavena

Which header was that? Was it from a goal kick?
I can't even remember what it was from. A high ball coming down, Marcus is looking at it and moves towards it, then sees I think it was Rodri backing up to head it and decides "I don't fancy that" and leaves him get a free header away. United crowd in the stand let him know what they thought of it.

Banana Republic

That non-challenge for that header wasn't an isolated incident in the final.
There were lots of occasions where he made no effort to challenge, press or harass City players as they passed the ball around at the back up to the half way line and beyond.
I remember at one point, Stones was in possession, looking for the next pass, with Rashford literally 3 yards behind him on the blindside and he just wasn't interested in getting involved, casually jogging away from the ball, as if the game was nothing to do with him.
What a marked contrast to that brief, 3 month golden spell, when everyone thought he'd turned a corner and was banging in the goals.
Are we going to wait another 3 years, to see a repeat of that form?

Frank White

That non-challenge for that header wasn't an isolated incident in the final.
There were lots of occasions where he made no effort to challenge, press or harass City players as they passed the ball around at the back up to the half way line and beyond.
I remember at one point, Stones was in possession, looking for the next pass, with Rashford literally 3 yards behind him on the blindside and he just wasn't interested in getting involved, casually jogging away from the ball, as if the game was nothing to do with him.
What a marked contrast to that brief, 3 month golden spell, when everyone thought he'd turned a corner and was banging in the goals.
Are we going to wait another 3 years, to see a repeat of that form?

Why would we be waiting 3 years? Don't tell me his "poor" form has jumped from a year to 18 months and now it's at 3 years!

Stacks

He's a pretty good crosser and assister of goals. Sterling wasn't amazing at crossing and was a important part of Pep's teams. Is Saka great at crossing? Who are these LF that are better? Y'all thought Sancho and Antony were going to kick him from the team but they not on the same level. The grass isn't always greener

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Until we have not just one, but actually two reliable goal scorers apart from Rashford people can keep their illusion of replacing him as a starter exactly like that: illusion.
Our own manager name checked him and no one else in our squad to score goals. Quite telling he said apart from Rashford we need another goal scorer externally or from within. He could have also said Antony or Sancho will provide goals, but he didn’t.

stw2022

He's a confidence player. Pretty much his entire season was two months where he went on a fanatic run. If he's happy and playing well, things flow. It was the same two or three seasons back; he was playing well for a period then injury. He couldn't get going after that.

When the goals dry up be doesn't seem to have that drive to play through and come out the other side. It also doesn't take much to go from looking like everything he touches turns to gold Rashford to head down, walking pace, looking a bit dejected Rashford. And his form dips last months, not the odd run of games.

Unless you had no other option I don't see how you would want to be reliant on that week in week out.

Banana Republic

Why would we be waiting 3 years? Don't tell me his "poor" form has jumped from a year to 18 months and now it's at 3 years!
His last "golden spell" of regularly banging in the goals, came in the 2019/20 Covid broken season, when both he and Martial netted over 20 goals each.
That was 3 years ago.
The following season, he was pretty average in the league and his goal tally was only boosted by a good scoring run in the Europa league.
His form took a terrible dip later in that season, lasting the 18 months plus (continuing into the whole of last season), that you alluded to.

Nobody is denying that Marcus' goals saved our season and without them, we would have been struggling in mid table like Chelsea.
He was on a great run and looked the part, but that great run was short lived (2 or 3 months?).
That's why I said..... "Are we going to wait another 3 years, to see a repeat of that form?"
I hope not.

This season's 17 EPL goals matched his 2020/21 EPL total and has brought his career goal average up from 9 league goals a season, to 10 league goals a season (over 7 full seasons).

Frank White

His last "golden spell" of regularly banging in the goals, came in the 2019/20 Covid broken season, when both he and Martial netted over 20 goals each.
That was 3 years ago.
The following season, he was pretty average in the league and his goal tally was only boosted by a good scoring run in the Europa league.
His form took a terrible dip later in that season, lasting the 18 months plus (continuing into the whole of last season), that you alluded to.

Nobody is denying that Marcus' goals saved our season and without them, we would have been struggling in mid table like Chelsea.
He was on a great run and looked the part, but that great run was short lived (2 or 3 months?).
That's why I said..... "Are we going to wait another 3 years, to see a repeat of that form?"
I hope not.

This season's 17 EPL goals matched his 2020/21 EPL total and has brought his career goal average up from 9 league goals a season, to 10 league goals a season (over 7 full seasons).

Answered my question then it has jumped from 12 months to now 3 years, good to know.

Frank White

He's a confidence player. Pretty much his entire season was two months where he went on a fanatic run. If he's happy and playing well, things flow. It was the same two or three seasons back; he was playing well for a period then injury. He couldn't get going after that.

When the goals dry up be doesn't seem to have that drive to play through and come out the other side. It also doesn't take much to go from looking like everything he touches turns to gold Rashford to head down, walking pace, looking a bit dejected Rashford. And his form dips last months, not the odd run of games.

Unless you had no other option I don't see how you would want to be reliant on that week in week out.
What do you suggest should be done?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
That was 3 years ago.

I hope not.

So poor.

Rashford had shit managers who destroyed the whole teams ability - it wasn’t Rashford by himself that was shit. If he was performing as a 30 goal player under Ole or Rangnick then the guy would be the GOAT.

He has Ten Hag now and will perform next year as long as he is managing the whole squad to a quality standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.