6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

phelans shorts

I'm not defending Rashford because his form has been indefensible but Terry as a centre back is different from an explosive attacking player.

It's just sad and infuriating seeing Rashford's decline as a Utd fan.
Rashford seems to eternally look bereft of confidence at this point. It raises the question of whether he just isn’t confident his own body can do what he wants it to at this point.

I really want him to click again but I am very much starting to doubt that it will. Think a year under a manager like Ten Haag or Rooney is a bit last chance saloon at this level.

criticalanalysis

But it should be clear that whole injury thing was an excuse.

Rashord's issue is not that he is or was slow or lost his burst. It was terrible decision making and buying his own hype. He started to take on 3-4 defenders and run into walls. Started playing like a Neymar or Hazard without every having the skill. This boy just bought his own hype.

If he remained disciplined and focused on the team he would be a menace.
It's definitely a poor excuse when we consider the length of his decline but I would say he does look like he's lost a bit of that explosiveness too.

So I think three things can be true here with regards to Rashford and probably quite a few others, 1) he was overplayed/misused 2) overindulged/extremely poorly coached and 3) he's also been very very poor.

Rashford seems to eternally look bereft of confidence at this point. It raises the question of whether he just isn’t confident his own body can do what he wants it to at this point.

I really want him to click again but I am very much starting to doubt that it will. Think a year under a manager like Ten Haag or Rooney is a bit last chance saloon at this level.
Same. It's the hope that gets you.

Threesus

This guy says with a straight face that people should give 100% when wearing our shirt.

TOKUGAWA-X

I am absolutely dissapointed that ETH hasnt benched Rashford.

We have seen enough, ETH saw enough in the summer, it is time to drop Marcus for good, send the message and sell him before the windows closes or in january for good.

Longshanks

His form dropped at the back end of 20/21 with him clearly carrying an injury but he still on the whole had a good season.

Last season his missed the first third of it recovering from major surgery then come back in as the wheels fell off spectacularly on Ole, then was a bit part player in and out of the side under Rangnick, and let's be honest noone played well under the dreadful Rangnick.

2 games in and he's looked OK so far, not amazing but certainly not bad but again its been two pretty poor team performances and he has been let down by his teammates.

He desperately needs Ronaldo out of the side thats one thing I can tell you as does Bruno, sancho etc. We know Ronaldo has a negative impact on players around him for the sake of his own personal goals and its a clear as day when you look at Rashford.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
ETH mentioned recently that they viewed Rashford more of a striker but he was doing well at left wing in training so they stuck with him at LW.

I wonder if it was more to do with not having enough capable wide forwards/wingers in the team. Maybe once we get Antony and Gakpo we might see Rashford at Centre Forward competing with Martial for that spot? Sancho will take the LW and Antony the RW. Just hypothesising.

edit: this was the interview: https://www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/erik-ten-hag-clarifies-striker-situation-with-martial-out

Replenish

I'll play along, so we remove Maguire in place of Varane I assume and Sancho for Rashford on left with feck knows off the right because they're all just as useless there? We'll still have a midfield of McFred, Bruno will still be Bruno and the rest speak for themselves. It's hard to say them two are consistently the worst when are whole team put in stinker after stinker. Can you honestly say the difference betweena standard Rashford and Sancho performance isn't negligible?
There's a vast difference between a standard Rashford performance and a standard Sancho performance. In our first two games of the season, no, but last season which is the only other information we have to go on, then Sancho was miles better than Rashford despite Sancho not setting the world alight either.

I think Maguire and Rashford are our weakest first teamers and a line up without them would be stronger. Swapping Maguire out is simple, as you said for Varane or even Lindelof. And up top there are options depsite us being thin there. With Martial back we could easily play him on the left, Ronaldo up top and Sancho on the right. Or perhaps, Sancho left, Martial up front, and one of the youngsters left? I feel anything is a better option than Rashford right now, that's just my opinion.

Of course the midfield is still going to be sticking point but hopefully the transfer window will resolve that to a degree.

Drainy

ETH mentioned recently that they viewed Rashford more of a striker but he was doing well at left wing in training so they stuck with him at LW.

I wonder if it was more to do with not having enough capable wide forwards/wingers in the team. Maybe once we get Antony and Gakpo we might see Rashford at Centre Forward competing with Martial for that spot? Sancho will take the LW and Antony the RW. Just hypothesising.

edit: this was the interview: https://www.manutd.com/en/amp/news/detail/erik-ten-hag-clarifies-striker-situation-with-martial-out
I expect Rashford to be moved more centrally.

His decline in ability to beat a man 1 on 1 has deminished his effectiveness there, but he still has a good touch and link up play so can be effective in the all around game if retrained well.

Doracle

There's a vast difference between a standard Rashford performance and a standard Sancho performance. In our first two games of the season, no, but last season which is the only other information we have to go on, then Sancho was miles better than Rashford despite Sancho not setting the world alight either.

I think Maguire and Rashford are our weakest first teamers and a line up without them would be stronger. Swapping Maguire out is simple, as you said for Varane or even Lindelof. And up top there are options depsite us being thin there. With Martial back we could easily play him on the left, Ronaldo up top and Sancho on the right. Or perhaps, Sancho left, Martial up front, and one of the youngsters left? I feel anything is a better option than Rashford right now, that's just my opinion.

Of course the midfield is still going to be sticking point but hopefully the transfer window will resolve that to a degree.
Except we also have the evidence of Rashford being miles better than Sancho’s 21/22 level in previous seasons, so hard to draw too many conclusions from Sancho being a bit less shit under Rangnick.

Maguire and Rashford have probably been our least worst players so far this season and Rashford has been comfortably better than Sancho in both matches. I want both Rashford and Sancho to come good but this desire to write off players who actually have been good for us previously and rely on shiny new toys is tiring.

Also, how anyone can say Rashford and Maguire are the worst players in a team for whom Dalot is a starter is completely beyond me. Two of those players have performed well for us at a high level in the past. Dalot has never shown any ability whatsoever.

Replenish

Except we also have the evidence of Rashford being miles better than Sancho’s 21/22 level in previous seasons, so hard to draw too many conclusions from Sancho being a bit less shit under Rangnick.

Maguire and Rashford have probably been our least worst players so far this season and Rashford has been comfortably better than Sancho in both matches. I want both Rashford and Sancho to come good but this desire to write off players who actually have been good for us previously and rely on shiny new toys is tiring.

Also, how anyone can say Rashford and Maguire are the worst players in a team for whom Dalot is a starter is completely beyond me. Two of those players have performed well for us at a high level in the past. Dalot has never shown any ability whatsoever.
Ok mate, if you think Rashford and Maguire have been our "least worst players" then this conversation is a waste of time. They've been as awful as everyone else and Rashford has not been better than Sancho. You seem to think running down a blind alley and losing the ball is good play. It seems you've gotten used to them being so bad that if they don't make obvious stand our errors you seem to think they've played well or better than everyone else.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I expect Rashford to be moved more centrally.

His decline in ability to beat a man 1 on 1 has deminished his effectiveness there, but he still has a good touch and link up play so can be effective in the all around game if retrained well.
Rashford avoids any physical contact possible. 1 bump by a CB and he will be limping down the tunnel. Lets face it, he's not got the bottle or desire for football anymore.

Frank White

That's just incorrect. A standard performance for both of them is basically identical, defensive output= awful, attacking stats= near identical. Sancho looked after the ball a bit better but that's expected when whenever he got it he took 5/6 touches, looked back and passed to someone else. Didn't try to create anything, didn't try to take anyone on, just a nothing performance for huge portions of the season.

As for the rest would love to bench Rashford in favour of Sancho out left or even Tony there. Martial Ronaldo Sancho can't be any worse than what we've seen after the 1st two games.

Hughes35

He's been absolutely awful for at least 2 years now. I think he's actually the player I now hate seeing in the first 11 more than any other

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
lets see if his application on the pitch backs up his latest episode of PR.

feck me I hope it does - we deserve a break at this stage

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Stats are really only mad if one doesn't see the games to contextualise them. Sancho would snag Rashford's position from straight under him because of the gulf in performances beyond the numbers. Rashford would in fact end up outside the XI. He lost that to Elanga.
sounds like you haven't seen the games to contextualise them

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
I feel like a few years back he was massively overrated and now a few years later the scales have tipped back an equal amount the other way. He's put under the microscope and even the most simple of mistakes that vast majority of players make sees him become 'championship' level. I suppose it isn't without reason given the low quality, low effort levels of the last year and a half but even so.

Hope the club learns from this and in future doesn't put all their chips on young players with everything to prove at a massive club with gargantuan levels of pressure.

His application was much better in the last couple of games. Provided he works hard and is 100% committed, fans should get behind him, even if he's ultimately not good enough to be a starter. I think he is being forced to play a system now (about time) and he looks really short on confidence. He's trying at least and that's enough for me.

Feels like he is getting the reality check that was needed but it's not nice to see him torn to pieces, there's a decent player in there. I feel like it's the club's fault this situation has evolved due to weak and incompetent leadership at a variety of levels.

Greck

sounds like you haven't seen the games to contextualise them
Speak for yourself. Sancho wasnt great but Rashford became unplayable and wasnt even starting games when it was over. RR even chose Pogba/Bruno to play striker against city or liverpool when CR got injured. Rashford fell out of the team completely. How can one even attempt to say he had the same season as the very player who earned his starting position over him. Make it make sense. Sancho comfortably outperformed him once he got played on the left.

Last edited:

stw2022

The difference between Sancho and Rashford is when Sancho plays poorly his performance thread isn't full of people wondering why we're not calling out Rashford.

It isn't so much Rashford is consistently awful it's the pretence that lasted for the longest time that noticing he was awful made you less of a fan that irked.

Tibs

Need a hat trick from Marcus tonight for my fantasy football

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I am absolutely dissapointed that ETH hasnt benched Rashford.

We have seen enough, ETH saw enough in the summer, it is time to drop Marcus for good, send the message and sell him before the windows closes or in january for good.
You dont bench players like him so soon without repercussions. Like it or not he's quite influential in the dressing room.

Replenish

That's just incorrect. A standard performance for both of them is basically identical, defensive output= awful, attacking stats= near identical. Sancho looked after the ball a bit better but that's expected when whenever he got it he took 5/6 touches, looked back and passed to someone else. Didn't try to create anything, didn't try to take anyone on, just a nothing performance for huge portions of the season.

As for the rest would love to bench Rashford in favour of Sancho out left or even Tony there. Martial Ronaldo Sancho can't be any worse than what we've seen after the 1st two games.
I don't agree, I think Rashford has been far worse on average. Sancho had a handful of good games last season. Rashford had none.

Anyway, at least we agree we'd like to see a Martial, Ronaldo, Sancho front 3. Let's hope it happens tonight but I doubt it. I suspect we are going to see Rashford, Martial, Sancho with Ronaldo dropping out.

Frank White

The difference between Sancho and Rashford is when Sancho plays poorly his performance thread isn't full of people wondering why we're not calling out Rashford.

It isn't so much Rashford is consistently awful it's the pretence that lasted for the longest time that noticing he was awful made you less of a fan that irked.
Honestly it's only recently that people have started to acknowledge that he's even a United player, normally his poor performances just get swept under the rug.

Is this the reason why you have a one man crusade against Rashford then? Always found it weird how to you there only seems to be Rashford under performing or at least he's the only one you'll ever criticise.

Greck

I don't agree, I think Rashford has been far worse on average. Sancho had a handful of good games last season. Rashford had none.

Anyway, at least we agree we'd like to see a Martial, Ronaldo, Sancho front 3. Let's hope it happens tonight but I doubt it. I suspect we are going to see Rashford, Martial, Sancho with Ronaldo dropping out.
I'm with you. That was so untrue. I don't understand the talk of standard performances. Rashford spent a solid 6 months losing the ball by running into a wall of defenders or passing into defender's legs at point blank range even with little pressure. He got removed from the starting lineup even when everyone was bad because he was especially detrimental. His standard performance has been so far below Sancho or everyone else. I'm not feeling this bringing down Sancho to deflect Rashford's performances. One can discuss his performances in his thread if they're really pressed to do so.

edit I'm guessing the Antony pursuit has people realising he and Sancho could soon be competing for that left side once more. Let him make his case on the pitch. If he performs better he wont lose out like he did last season

Last edited:

BlahRules

I was optimistic that Rashford will start performing to the point I had him on my FPL for the last two games but I have no hope for him. I had to come to the realisation that he will not improve. I need my points as I am now lacking behind and Rashford is to blame.

Greck

I was optimistic that Rashford will start performing to the point I had him on my FPL for the last two games but I have no hope for him. I had to come to the realisation that he will not improve. I need my points as I am now lacking behind and Rashford is to blame.
We'll see how he plays with Martial. Without improvement he's once again going to lose his starting role. He's already playing with his head down in the final third and missing teammates making key runs and overlaps. These will go under the radar till the coach has had enough and he gets benched. Then we'll hear how he was hard done by the manager.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Remember when Rashford destroyed TAA with a chop and smashed a rocket into the bottom corner? good times.

How I wish he was capable of that again tonight.

Doracle

Remember when Rashford destroyed TAA with a chop and smashed a rocket into the bottom corner? good times.

How I wish he was capable of that again tonight.
Or when he played an inch perfect through ball for our first and then scored our second as we knocked them out of the Cup in 2021? Fingers crossed he can find some form tonight.

poleglass red

Hopefully with the attacking players we have been linked with, it lights a fire under him, and we actually see some of the play we know he can produce. Same with Sancho as well.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
My biggest hope is Benny McCarthy.

Rashford seems injured and not a winger anymore because he can’t take his man on with any sort of pace or acceleration.

I hope he can become a striker - no doubt a weaker role of his - because maybe that’s all he has in his locker now.

MetoTTT

You dont bench players like him so soon without repercussions. Like it or not he's quite influential in the dressing room.
Well,
It's not like he was at Ryan Giggs level for years, proved his quality at the highest level for a long time and it's just a bad stint (which lasts).
Many media are often more critical with the foreign players.
Then when you're a great player but you're not good, you question yourself, you work harder to deserve to start again

Chairman Steve

I hope Rashfords got a bit more unpredictability in the centre than he is coming off the left, where he’s easily read by most defenders. He’s rotten coming off the right otherwise.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Absolutely outstanding. One of the most committed players too, closing down everything. Fecking fantastic. Don't let the bar drop.

Bobski

Confidence has been gone from him for so long it was like a chrysalis moment when he scored.

Status
Not open for further replies.