View full 2022-23 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't mean this in a negative way but nothing has changed. Both goals scored on the break and its great to have that option, but he was poor again in other situations and he offers little against a packed defence. We need a more technically adept player up front and our play will take another step forward. But like I say, good to have him on the bench for when we need it.

Member 125398

Scoring goals and making assists is the last thing we need in a striker. He does sometimes look a bit lost in the middle though tbf, hopefully confidence and coaching will improve that.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s like people don’t want to see the assist he created during possession football.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Sancho will be on the bench as a striker returns and moves Rashford back to LW.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Scoring goals and making assists is the last thing we need in a striker. He does sometimes look a bit lost in the middle though tbf, hopefully confidence and coaching will improve that.
Yeah I think it's apparent he's not a striker (and his 3 goals have all come as a LW) but he's got increasingly better there as the games have gone on.

Sylar

For those saying he made a contribution...

Well a bad rashford made great contribution, now imagine if we binned him and actually plays a proper striker, we would go really far
Bin him?

Red Rash

I found it to be a very weird game for Rashford. Generally I thought he was very poor especially when playing upfront. Seemed to lose the ball everytime it was played to him, wasn't really competing for headers and didn't press very hard. In fact I saw a few times when Bruno sprinted past him to press the CB since Rashford wasn't doing this himself.

However he scored two goals and had a really good assist so effectively won us the game. My opinion is we shouldn't play him as CF because it really prevented us from having a foothold on the game as an attacking sense. When Ronaldo came on I think the difference in terms of hold up play was huge.

footballbite

find this ‘he’s back’ nonsense quite ridiculous.

well done. He scored two and had an assist. An impact on the game.
It's not only that he's producing which makes it appear that "he's back", but also that he hasn't looked this quick and sharp for two seasons, since Ole basically ran him in to the ground. That's even more of a good sign really, as even when he scored a few at the start of last season he did so while still looking a bit rusty and off the pace.

Scottynaldinho

Say whatever you want but when he's on his bike he almost always finishes it off with a beautiful strike.

Swiss_Red89

Strange thread. To many people only focus on the negative regarding Rashford. You can tell some posters where annoyed he was the one to win us the game.

I pray that he continues to shoot his critics up until they run out of "excuses" why he's still shit.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't mean this in a negative way but nothing has changed. Both goals scored on the break and its great to have that option, but he was poor again in other situations and he offers little against a packed defence. We need a more technically adept player up front and our play will take another step forward. But like I say, good to have him on the bench for when we need it.
Erm his finishing hasn’t changed?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Strange thread. To many people only focus on the negative regarding Rashford. You can tell some posters where annoyed he was the one to win us the game.

I pray that he continues to shoot his critics up until they run out of "excuses" why he's still shit.
Because he can only do well when on counter with the opposing team exposed at the back. Watch him be absolute pants when we play against teams that sit deep and wait to counter us.

Teja

This and Liverpool are exactly the games he should start. When the opposition will basically have a lot of the ball and their defenders on the half way line. It plays perfectly to his strengths.

It's the games against teams that like to sit deeper and make it more compact that really expose him.
Yup I agree. Hope to see something like the below against Palace.

Ronaldo
Sancho - Bruno - Antony​

Redlyn

Were you statisfied by his performances last season? He was rightly criticized. He was proper shit and a non entity in most games. There is also a doubt if he needs a high line to be productive. He started a lot better this season and if he can produce consistently this season the criticism will naturally fall away. People always act like there is some mysterious agenda while it's mostly logical reactions to what we are seeing on the pitch.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Some people on this thread had a bad day yesterday. They almost seemed angry it was him. Absolute morons.

I was never a great fan of Pogba, especially in the latter years, but whenever he scored or played well I'd say so. And I still cheered the goals like I would any other player.

Rashford now has 5 attacking returns for the season. The most in the whole team. Hahahaha.

Wolvereen

Our most unnecessarily overly criticized player. The replies in here especially after yesterday’s contributions is shocking. Rashford is the only player in our squad that the fanbase expects absolute perfection from. Strange strange relationship we have with him. Hoping he tunes it all out.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He's a modern left winger/left forward rather than a CF. His third goal came from there and he'll still get opportunities to run in behind as a left winger/forward when given space behind. It's important to minimize what he isn't good at which is hold up play or weak back to goal play and maximize his strength which is attacking the space and running in behind.

It's good that he's scoring and assisting, it'll get his confidence up which is good for us, but he's not a CF and he won't see anywhere near close to the space he had against Arsenal in behind against most teams. He'll be required to mostly do hold up plays and bringing his teammates into play which he isn't good at. Hopefully when everyone is fit, he's restored to the left and only play CF in case of emergency.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I don't like him as a striker still and his goals came yesterday when he was moved to the left... but I hope this will give him a bit of a confidence boost. It's great that he's contributing with goals and assists.

Some of the comments I see about him and pressing seem a bit silly. The team will clearly have certain triggers where they are meant to press and other times where you don't. I hear similar comments at the game where fans bemoan him for not pressing when he is the only player between two centre backs. It's like they expect players to run around like headless chickens just for the sake of it. You press when you have a chance to win the ball... not when the opposition has an easy pass on to negate your little sprint... and when you press, you do it as a team in situations where you can put the opposition under real pressure and win the ball back.
Nah, it's not about that. Rashford does let the guy near him go past him unchallenged and that simply has to stop. If Martinez or Varane try to bring the ball up from the back and Jesus was near them he'll harass them and not let them comfortably get on with their business. It's disruptive and make it hard for the opponent to build from the back.

Rashford tends to let guys just casually bring the ball up, go past him while he jogs and doesn't even attempt to challenge them. I mean we're literally talking about players at breathing distance of Rashford whom he just let stroll past him with the ball at their feet. Makes it way too easy for opponents to build from the back and get the ball to their midfielders if your CF won't challenge the defender who's bringing the ball up. He needs to cut that out ASAP.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Huh? I mean that's exactly what you should need from your striker. I know there is more to give but scoring and assisting are the most essential parts.

Sancho will be on the bench as a striker returns and moves Rashford back to LW.
I believe so. I initially thought Rashford will go to the bench when Martial returns as ETG lines up Antony, Martial and Sancho but unless he ups his performance and doesn't get gassed after 60 minutes, he'll be seeing the bench when a proper striker shows up. It's quite clear to me that ETH likes Rashford's pace and he's been productive, so he won't bench him.

The Siege

He's invisible when we're playing anything except counter attacking football.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Antony is good for 2 wing spots. A striker like Toney would drastically change the whole dynamics.

The Siege

Like when he got the assist for the first goal yesterday?
Yep. Got pushed off the ball several times when it needed to be held up for a split second more and then played forward into a run, to find that one key pass in one instance. And then scored two signature counter-attacking goals.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has a place in this squad and its tactical flexibility. He just wasn't the optimal striker for how we started out yesterday.

Erm his finishing hasn’t changed?
Not really. He's always been ok on the break, save for that period where he couldn't hit a barn door from anywhere. It's telling that his goals have all come against Liverpool and Arsenal, teams that give him space to run into, and all three were on the break,

jesperjaap

Not really. He's always been ok on the break, save for that period where he couldn't hit a barn door from anywhere. It's telling that his goals have all come against Liverpool and Arsenal, teams that give him space to run into, and all three were on the break,
I think being good on the break isnt just Rashford, excluding Antony who know little about, that is the strength of ou rattack, pace and fast balls trhough the line. We are set up well to play some of the bigger teams if we can perform.....but playing sides who get behind the ball and dont go foward in such bigger numbers is more of a concern. We can forget the first two games really, but Leicester we really struggled to create anything.

I am certainly not conviced Rashford is a striker, or htat we can rely on Martial when he comesback fit. Oe that Fernandes will continue the decisive passes against certain sides.

I was 100% for selling both Rashford and Martial this summer, and not sure in all honesty that my mind will be changed this season, same even mroe so with Dalot who I have always thought was garbage, similar with McTominay.

But, let not go overboard, we beat a poor Liverpool, struggled past Leicester and got absolutely battered by Arsenal at times....but we have won all of those games, the attitude and work rate has been good amd though the football has not been perfect, improvements are beign made and the worth ethic and desire that has rubbed of from some of the new signings and management on to some of these players is working so far, we are seeing genuine effort and desire, so I really dont think we can criticise them at the moment....though I agee with what you are saying and I have been a staunch critic of many, not going to sing there praises after three games, but as much as they have deserved criticism for some time.....they are doing ok at the moment

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It probably feels inappropriate to criticise him after getting 2 goals and 1 assist, but there are still some concerning aspects of his game which don't seem to be changing or improving even under ETH.

It was quite noticeable yesterday and even previous games where is off the ball work and intensity is still poor. There were a few occasions yesterday where the crowd got on his back because he made very little effort to close down or press in situations where we could have put pressure on the defenders and keeper. I'm certain ETH would want forwards who have high intensity and pressing which I'm sure is what ETH keeps referring to after every match that we need to improve on our pressing. It was noticeable Bruno getting frustrated with Rashford on one occasion yesterday where Rashford should have been the one to press but he just slowed down and Bruno went and pressed instead.

If we are going to beat teams who sit deep, the high intensity and pressing is very important as that is what will allow us to force errors and lead to key chances. Rashford's pace will be less important in these games.
Good post. I totally agree

Wolvereen

Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Antony is good for 2 wing spots. A striker like Toney would drastically change the whole dynamics.
Toney is the perfect striker for us and the system we'd like to play. Powerful, strong, technically good enough, strong finisher, etc. I would go in for him this January.

Greck

My man of the match but I already know him as one of the best breakaway scorers in football. That one skill is why I prefer him to start over Ronaldo. He will also try to play with the wing forwards so it's not a one way street.

This is however not some turning point performance. It's the same movie we've been watching. If he got to run into space all 38 games he'd be competing with Haland. If he gets through the next game without regressing to the player who has little clue how to use his talents against deeper defensive lines I'll join the celebrations. Decent stats sprinkled into poor general play is the curse he has to break. At least his production is returning, that should be enough to keep us afloat till we can control games. Long term is anybody's guess.

Last edited:
He needs to watch a few Raheem Sterling tap in videos and start getting the goals at the back post position that Lineker is always banging on about. With Anthony on the right wing I suspect there will be opportunities at the back post throughout this season, especially against the low block teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.