Marcus Rashford deals with the naysayers and slaggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantonagotmehere

I love the guy so much and I want him to do well. He looks so unhappy. We need him to start enjoying his football again, because he's unplayably good when he wants to be, and a great man. I hope he gets better soon.
Exactly how I feel. I had just texted my mate a shorter version of your post.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As someone who thinks Rashford is a terrific person for what he’s done off the pitch I’m usually inclined to try and find every excuse possible for him but it’s not fair for me to shit on players like Martial for playing like a lazy, disinterested bag of shite then refuse to criticise Rashford for serving up the same disinterested bollox. He needs to buck up his fecking ideas or we need to get rid.

joedirt87

Add to this their lack of pressing, tracking back, aggression, link up play, creativity, unpredictability and everything else too. We pamper these lads when they should be getting an absolute rocket for walking around letting their mates get swamped. At least do that and then have your pot shots. Terrible really and it’s been going on ages. Badly need another creative winger. Not a striker. A winger. Who passes and links up and shows aggression and unpredictability
Elanga, Amad, Pellistri. All young guys who should get more shots. I don't really lump Sancho in with the other selfish forward players. I think the best approach right now might be less is more. play less of these underwhelming attacking players. Help the midfield for once, it's clear as day they are getting overrun most games. hell throw on another defender if its gonna help the team play higher and push wingbacks into midfield/attacking positions. They just have to stop starting these games with 4 forwards.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
For what it’s worth I remember being told that there was a spell, post Munich, when Bobby Charlton’s form took a dive. It happens to a lot of players.
I still think Marcus will come good and be the player we know he can be.
But the clock is ticking.

For what it’s worth I remember being told that there was a spell, post Munich, when Bobby Charlton’s form took a dive. It happens to a lot of players.
He saw his friends die in front of him, and was lucky to survive himself, at 20 years old.

Rashford missed a penalty and had an elective shoulder surgery after three weeks in Turks and Caicos.

Not exactly comparable.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As someone who thinks Rashford is a terrific person for what he’s done off the pitch I’m usually inclined to try and find every excuse possible for him but it’s not fair for me to shit on players like Martial for playing like a lazy, disinterested bag of shite then refuse to criticise Rashford for serving up the same disinterested bollox. He needs to buck up his fecking ideas or we need to get rid.
Thank you. Seems like you're one of the few on here that try to keep it balanced.

dave1956

Oh for those far of days when a number of our first team players would have been sent to play and train with the reserve side to either get their confidence back, rebuild their match fitness after injury or bring their egos back too earth. Sadlly these days however, they play they remain with " The Squad".

Red_toad

So could any of our under-performing players; such a weird take. Seems like another cop out for him.
How is it weird? Please explain?
OP stated he wasn't ill, I simply asked how they knew. Unless you think all illnesses have reactions that are visible.

Zapata

Some people fail to separate the player off the field with the player’s on field performances and at the moment rashford is far from what he has showed in the past. He needs to ride pine for a while and hopefully that lights a fire under his ass.

ryansgirl

I wish that were true.

Unfortunately we’ve got an “always knew he was shit” brigade on here who cant’t wait to pile into player performance threads whenever a player hits a poor run of form (or even a one-off poor performance). They do everything they can to denigrate a player’s previous past good performances in order to show that they are wiser and more perceptive than the rest of us. It’s absolutely infuriating and ruins any decent discussion.

Rashford’s poor form has been going on for ages though, and it’s fine to call that out. Though blaming it on his off-field activities seems a bit of a stretch. It’s more likely that he’s frustrated that injuries have brought about a permanent decline in his physical prowess, and he’s finding that hard to come to terms with.

“Apologies” on social media don’t cut any ice. Maybe players are expected to post this sort of crap by the club?
Stop making sense! Great post and I can't recall whether Marcus actually has had Covid-19 or not but if he has, this could explain some loss of form.
While I don't like the spook stories that have been regularly paraded in both the popular media and the more serious media during this pandemic and the kind of reporting that omits context, there is no doubt that this nasty virus is having all sorts of repercussions for different people.

The husband of a friend of mine has been diagnosed with 'long covid' and he's had to give up the job he loves. Prior to that he was in reasonable health but as a smoker he made himself more vulnerable and even non smokers in good health have been affected badly in some cases.

ryansgirl

I've been thinking something recently -
How so many of our fans complain of our players mood and sour faces they pull when things don't go right.
Yet our fans are not sitting there in front of a TV looking happy with bright faces as we lose points and matches are we?
Absolutely. When players look too relaxed on the pitch, some people tear into them and I don't mean players laughing after the game with the opposition. I'm talking about players not scowling and running around with faces like thunder when they are losing. If Marcus had a different demeanour he would be slagged off by the same kind of 'supporters' for not taking the game seriously enough.

I've been wondering just what constitutes some people's idea of being a supporter of a football club, especially one like Manchester United that has gone through periods of upheaval and instability - post Sir Matt Busby for example.
There are a number of different reasons why the club we love and which is part of our way of life is having problems. A lot of it is structural with the decision to appoint David Moyes as the beginning of this contemporary decline.

Of course the players are to blame in terms of their responsibility to gell on the pitch and give their all but they're not responsible for the managerial merry-go-round and the decisions made at board level to over-pay to bring in players who haven't shown their worth in a sustained way. I think Louis Van Gaal wasn't a bad manager for a limited period of time and at least he won silverware but Mourinho was too late at the club - and supporters like me never wanted him in the first place.

I knew Mourinho would destablise the situation by his communication for a start and if we were going to appoint him, it should have been done earlier. I love Ole like most people and he did well but the lack of strategic nouse did him in.
However, we should respect the way he tried to get back a sense of identity in the squad.
Some people on here go on about Real Madrid, Chelsea and City but I don't want that mercenary culture of constant Real Madrid sackings and the ridiculous amounts spent on constantly luring other clubs' top players.

True our board has over-spent and we haven't seen the rewards for it but I think the Manchester United idea that there is an identity dear to it is still crucial. There is no contradiction between holding that as a strong principle and practice and getting in managers and staff who are not too close to the club to cast a cold eye on what does need to be changed and as soon as possible.

Denis79

How do you know? He could well have some mental health issues he’s working through.
If he has problems I really hope he seeks help and gets better, I really like him as a person and respect so much of the things he has done off the pitch but if there is nothing serious bothering him that display tonight was criminal.

Atheist

Some on here are willing to do an extraordinary level of gymnastics (injury, comparisons to Bobby Charlton, depression) to justify his poor performances. I don't think that leeway is given to any other players in the squad.

Tropical Bob

I don't think many of our squad realise that all the people in the stadium have actually had to pay money to be allowed to be there, and that to get that money, they had to go out and work. I know that some of us take this kind of knowledge for granted, but maybe we shouldn't...

wise_old_man

He saw his friends die in front of him, and was lucky to survive himself, at 20 years old.

Rashford missed a penalty and had an elective shoulder surgery after three weeks in Turks and Caicos.

Not exactly comparable.
Players these days are more fragile mentally. May be Rashford suffered from that penalty miss just as much as Sir Bobby. I know the 2 incidents are not comparable but their mentalities as players are not comparable either.

ryansgirl

I wonder where's the teenager that wrote that shambles of an OP now to tell us we're not relevant :lol: . Probably waiting another 10 months for him to fluke a goal and come to say I told you so.
You certainly don't seem relevant after your attempt at a put down masquerading as something to add to this thread. That's alright, you can be proud of your 'wit'.
I remember a time when the caf didn't have so many like you but obviously you're on a roll in your own mind. Carry on!

ryansgirl

Players these days are more fragile mentally. May be Rashford suffered from that penalty miss just as much as Sir Bobby. I know the 2 incidents are not comparable but their mentalities as players are not comparable either.
So true and their admittedly ridiculous millions have come with the price of huge online as well as offline media and public scrutiny. But trying talking sense to a few of the posters on here now who remember zilch of United pre-Sir Alex and think being a member of a Manchester United forum means they are 'clever' for trolling and slagging off those of us who think a supporter is one through bad times as well as good times.

redcafe_reader

So true and their admittedly ridiculous millions have come with the price of huge online as well as offline media and public scrutiny. But trying talking sense to a few of the posters on here now who remember zilch of United pre-Sir Alex and think being a member of a Manchester United forum means they are 'clever' for trolling and slagging off those of us who think a supporter is one through bad times as well as good times.
I support Manchester United FC, not Rashford FC.

With the way he's playing, his presence is a net negative for the club.

Yakuza_devils

The new psychologist hired by Rangnick should work closely with Rashford on the mental side of things.

Need to sort out whatever holding him back to performance. Need to re-focus on the field. Maybe he was too involved with events off field.

During SAF time, all players must have full focus on the field. Case in point, Beckham was literally kicked out of the club once he got too much commitment off the field.

We need to instill discipline and change of mindset of the majority of the players. If you're not giving 100% on the field, you will be kicked out.

ryansgirl

That's a reasonable post.
This is a forum where people can disagree even strongly with others but there are posters here that lack the ability to understand that their trollish, would be 'clever' put-down and in a few cases almost hysterical opposition to players whose club they claim to support, is not redcafe forum quality.
They lack the skills for forum debate because they're used to the social media quickies.

On another thread the poster devilish completely disagreed with me about what the club should do in our current malaise but they did it in the way forum members here do normally.

Foxbatt

The new psychologist hired by Rangnick should work closely with Rashford on the mental side of things.

Need to sort out whatever holding him back to performance. Need to re-focus on the field. Maybe he was too involved with events off field.

During SAF time, all players must have full focus on the field. Case in point, Beckham was literally kicked out of the club once he got too much commitment off the field.

We need to instill discipline and change of mindset of the majority of the players. If you're not giving 100% on the field, you will be kicked out.
He is going to tell him Knobhead, feck off. We need the manager to be strong and the club to back the manager 100%. He should be dropped to the bench.

Foxbatt

Some on here are willing to do an extraordinary level of gymnastics (injury, comparisons to Bobby Charlton, depression) to justify his poor performances. I don't think that leeway is given to any other players in the squad.
You missed Covid.

Siezard

Funny how people forget that Rashford and co beat Villa last night.

And without Rashford for most of the match against Wolves, they lost.

Greck

Christ, Greenwood. You know for a while I wondered why our strikers play this way. Make unselfishly squaring the ball look like "advanced tactics" then I remember they just spent 3 years with Ole preaching shoot on sight and strikers being greedy. Might have done more damage than good for youngins like Rashford and Greenwood because they are by far by far the most one minded talents in the box.

Rashford hasn't improved a lick on rounding out his feel for the game beyond running into space and shooting. He should be further along in his development. May already be a lost cause. Big big failing on the club's part, those weaknesses were there from the day he broke through. Hoping the next manager can reform Greenwood and scrub his memory of this kind of idiot football. The modern game has gone beyond the front man playing this way. Also makes me realize how much we took Rooney for granted.

RedDevil@84

So will we be having another 100 word post on his social media after that crap performance? Something along the lines of “I can do better blah blah”?
Not really. We won the game.

He may react if there is lot of online abuse directed at him. But otherwise his PR team may sit silent for now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Our malady is only curable by strong hands

You're not fit or right in your head : bench, 6 months no progress or getting better : transfer listed.

Enough with this padded cotton wool approach, I swear we're the only clubs who tolerates this kind of shenagigans, giving unlimited amount of benefits of doubts. He would have been benched, and relegated to u23, or sold without much fuss if this is some other big club. Remember Martial? Oh It's jose, it's his spouse, oh he married early, or he got his number taken, oh he's not a winger, oh let's try him as winger, oh let's try him under jose, etc.

I wish fans would star being stricter in their support, no doubt some of their PR team are reading forums like this and gauging the reaction and maybe it's time to tell them enough is enough. Get your head sorted or get out.

Kopral Jono

Our malady is only curable by strong hands

You're not fit or right in your head : bench, 6 months no progress or getting better : transfer listed.

Enough with this padded cotton wool approach, I swear we're the only clubs who tolerates this kind of shenagigans, giving unlimited amount of benefits of doubts. He would have been benched, and relegated to u23, or sold without much fuss if this is some other big club. Remember Martial? Oh It's jose, it's his spouse, oh he married early, or he got his number taken, oh he's not a winger, oh let's try him as winger, oh let's try him under jose, etc.

I wish fans would star being stricter in their support, no doubt some of their PR team are reading forums like this and gauging the reaction and maybe it's time to tell them enough is enough. Get your head sorted or get out.
Good post, which is why I was pleasantly surprised last night when sections of our fans sarcastically cheered as Rashford was taken off.

ryansgirl

Funny how people forget that Rashford and co beat Villa last night.
And without Rashford for most of the match against Wolves, they lost.
Thanks for that reminder. I could understand more of the negativity going Marcus' way if the lad had a bad attitude or a big head but he has neither.
His rough patch is going on too long and somebody of his character and class would be feeling incredibly frustrated with himself and the fact that he's letting the side and fans down.
Nobody knows that better than him, his problem is not to do with attitude. I hope he can get it together very soon and hopefully Rangnick will make a difference,

bringbackbebe

The problem is not with Rashford alone, but a group of disoriented players including Rashford who act and move faster than they can think. With the exception of Varane, McTominay and possibly Dalot/Cavani, the rest of the squad looked woeful as ever yesterday. Rashford gets highlighted because of some poor decision making in the final third but there was plenty of poor decision making elsewhere to see as well.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
To try to compare Rashford’s constant dip in form with what Charlton experienced after Munich could be the peak delusion we could ever see.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's fascinating how the mental illness/distress excuse is only used with English players. Mental distress was used with Maguire when he went on a fighting spree with the Greek police, then with Jesse and now with Rashford. You'll never hear United fans saying that Martial or Pogba might be suffering with a mental illness...oh no, those players are just lazy. Its more fascinating that the likes of Liverpool, Bayern and City do not seem to suffer of this phenomenon. Their players either deliver or they are sold off.

I was half expecting that we'd learn a lesson from the Jesse experience. The guy's performance nosedived at a time when his social presence was at the roof (while doing very professional stuff like humping pillows etc), then when finally fans turned on him he came out with a sob story. This lead to the club giving him a second chance by loaning him instead of selling him. Turned out that Beans refused to sign a new contract after that and is now set to move on a free. Mental distress indeed.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

It's fascinating how the mental illness/distress excuse is only used with English players. Mental distress was used with Maguire when he went on a fighting spree with the Greek police, then with Jesse and now with Rashford. You'll never hear United fans saying that Martial or Pogba might be suffering with a mental illness...oh no, those players are just lazy. Its more fascinating that the likes of Liverpool, Bayern and City do not seem to suffer of this phenomenon. Their players either deliver or they are sold off.

I was half expecting that we'd learn a lesson from the Jesse experience. The guy's performance nosedived at a time when his social presence was at the roof (while doing very professional stuff like humping pillows etc), then when finally fans turned on him he came out with a sob story. This lead to the club giving him a second chance by loaning him instead of selling him. Turned out that Beans refused to sign a new contract after that and is now set to move on a free. Mental distress indeed.
Absolutely. My biggest fear is that the mental health excuse has become another kind of saveur du jour that unwillingly does serious disservice to actual people suffering from genuine, serious, and potentially harming issues out there in society. Regarding athletes and celebrities, there are several instances of people shutting off their social media accounts as means to avoid taking a load of criticism and to keep control upon their lives. I wish I could understand how and why nobody at the club has learned anything from the shitshow that Jesse Lingard has made to his own career because of social media.

Back on Rashford. Does he think he's the first Manchester United player to be criticized en masse over the internet when things aren't going well? No! Wayne Rooney got his own share a number of times and quite harshly as well, but he kept on working his socks off in order to end his own slumps and let actions do the speaking on the pitch so much that he was unstoppable when he was on a good streak. Rashford's biggest fans still try to remind us of the role model part, but I would rather trust a Scouser, who was born and raised from one of the toughest neighborhoods in Merseyside and who learned from his own mistakes in order to live a very fulfilling life, to be that example to follow right now. Even a physically banged up and retired Wayne Rooney would show more fight on the pitch than this version of Marcus Rashford.

Speaking of yesterday, the fact that he basically gave up even though Martinez dropped quite a juicy rebound in the vicinity... how can people not get fed up with him when they see that? That was the epitomy of total disinterestment and laziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.