Marcus Rashford deals with the naysayers and slaggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
I really hope the lad is ok, he seems timid whenever the chance of a physical interaction is in front of him. I am almost certain he was one the players that won us the most fouls before the back end of last season, but lately he barely engages in physical contact.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Absolutely. My biggest fear is that the mental health excuse has become another kind of saveur du jour that unwillingly does serious disservice to actual people suffering from genuine, serious, and potentially harming issues out there in society. Regarding athletes and celebrities, there are several instances of people shutting off their social media accounts as means to avoid taking a load of criticism and to keep control upon their lives. I wish I could understand how and why nobody at the club has learned anything from the shitshow that Jesse Lingard has made to his own career because of social media.

Back on Rashford. Does he think he's the first Manchester United player to be criticized en masse over the internet when things aren't going well? No! Wayne Rooney got his own share a number of times and quite harshly as well, but he kept on working his socks off in order to end his own slumps and let actions do the speaking on the pitch so much that he was unstoppable when he was on a good streak. Rashford's biggest fans still try to remind us of the role model part, but I would rather trust a Scouser, who was born and raised from one of the toughest neighborhoods in Merseyside and who learned from his own mistakes in order to live a very fulfilling life, to be that example to follow right now. Even a physically banged up and retired Wayne Rooney would show more fight on the pitch than this version of Marcus Rashford.

Speaking of yesterday, the fact that he basically gave up even though Martinez dropped quite a juicy rebound in the vicinity... how can people not get fed up with him when they see that? That was the epitomy of total disinterestment and laziness.
The irony of it all is that once these players decide to leave on a free the tune will change to 'they are right to look after themselves'. So maybe it's time for the club to start doing the same by selling underperforming players.

stw2022

Pretty sure I could find a video highlight reel of him within 20 seconds of looking that proves he is a good player.
Fans thinking a player having YouTube highlight reels makes them a top player is problematic too

stw2022

I have to say imposing imaginary mental health issues on him because people would prefer that explanation to having to admit he isn’t very good, is quite sick.

He doesn’t track back any more? Must have a mental illness then.

Seriously stop with that. Stop diagnosing mental health issues because you don’t want to admit you have overrated a player but rather than admit you may have been wrong - it must be a mental health issue. It’s repulsive.

Greck

Oh please, pretty convenient for the depression theory to come up after another subpar performance. No one was mentioning it 24 hours ago when we were all being told off for critiquing his form. Worse yet, it's based on feckall but body language.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Maybe football is just no longer his passion anymore. Maybe it’s getting in the way of the good work he’s doing off the pitch.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Another one of those who "made it" and now couldn't be arsed?

Bestietom

Why ain't he dropped. Greenwood also. We have players on the bench who would love a chance.
Play Elanga and Amad in their place, or DvB.

AndySmith1990

Our malady is only curable by strong hands

You're not fit or right in your head : bench, 6 months no progress or getting better : transfer listed.

Enough with this padded cotton wool approach, I swear we're the only clubs who tolerates this kind of shenagigans, giving unlimited amount of benefits of doubts. He would have been benched, and relegated to u23, or sold without much fuss if this is some other big club. Remember Martial? Oh It's jose, it's his spouse, oh he married early, or he got his number taken, oh he's not a winger, oh let's try him as winger, oh let's try him under jose, etc.

I wish fans would star being stricter in their support, no doubt some of their PR team are reading forums like this and gauging the reaction and maybe it's time to tell them enough is enough. Get your head sorted or get out.
Well said and I agree with it all.

You'd think we were supporting a charity or some sort of homeless shelter the way some people are so protective of these players.

Being in the public spotlight and handling the pressure and criticism that goes with it is part of why they're paid millions of pounds to play for Manchester United. If they can't handle it or don't like it they're free to go and find another line of work. Perhaps they could go and work in the NHS for £30k a year instead of £200k a week and see if life's any easier for them.

AussieDevil

How are people still defending him? He has been awful for a year now and out of form for almost two. He doesn’t care about Manchester United, your work rate doesn’t just dramatically drop at the age or 24, it’s not because he can’t, it’s because he doesn’t want to. He needs to release United fans gave him the platform to do his charity work, the least he can do is put in an effort whilst he collects his 200k a week. He is a diva.

pre Munich Red

Needs to be dropped for his own sake, just not interested in ‘doing his job’.
Bring in the hungry youngsters now.

romufc

Looking from the outside it seems he has lost the passion and hunger for the game. We all know this feeling, when you do something half heartedly, you look disinterested.
This is exactly the case with Rashford.

He shouldn't even be in matchday squads as things stand, he has no motivation, no desire, nothing out on the pitch. Deserved the reaction from fans when he came off.

EdinburghDevil

Marcus hasn't been right since he's come back from injury. Had a few nice cameos in the 1st couple of games back, but has really struggled since.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yes, pity you don't do the same. But you have the right to your trollish, no historical perspective, witless put-downs of others. Until you go too far one day.
Until I go too far? Melodramatic much?

This thread and attacking those that disagree with its relevance has not registered with you, has it?

But whatever, you keep writing your moral compass lessons instead of addressing people's points.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The trouble with threads like this is that once you disagree with the OP you suddenly labelled as hating the player. Its not the case. I think that an on form Rashford is a first team level player and I applaud what he's doing on the pitch. What I do believe though is that there is an off the board complacency in the team with many players not putting the effort in. Since this happened during Mou/Ole's last year and under Rangnick as well then its safe to say that this is not down to coaching either.

wolvored

Ok let me react to your OP.

Firstly there is a thread for Rashford. No need for another one.

Secondly - he has been dreadful on the pitch for a long time now. A very long time? Is that irrelevant to you ? Does his poor performances not matter?
Is the fact he is a local lad a reason to overlook his poor performances?
Do you think he reads this forum? I dont care for his Twitter PR. Do his job on the pitch and then whatever he does off of it is a non issue no?

What is he and other committed players going through- per your statement in the OP?

At the end of the day his pitch performance is his job and he isn't doing it very well. People are allowed to be pissed off with that
This. Completly agree

Mike Smalling

It's fascinating how the mental illness/distress excuse is only used with English players. Mental distress was used with Maguire when he went on a fighting spree with the Greek police, then with Jesse and now with Rashford. You'll never hear United fans saying that Martial or Pogba might be suffering with a mental illness...oh no, those players are just lazy. Its more fascinating that the likes of Liverpool, Bayern and City do not seem to suffer of this phenomenon. Their players either deliver or they are sold off.

I was half expecting that we'd learn a lesson from the Jesse experience. The guy's performance nosedived at a time when his social presence was at the roof (while doing very professional stuff like humping pillows etc), then when finally fans turned on him he came out with a sob story. This lead to the club giving him a second chance by loaning him instead of selling him. Turned out that Beans refused to sign a new contract after that and is now set to move on a free. Mental distress indeed.
Spot on. Especially the part about how top clubs do not seem to have these problems.

We have become world champions in finding excuses for players and giving them second chances. It simply doesn't translate into a winning culture, if the players constantly see no consequences for poor performances over prolonged periods.

ZupZup

He clearly needs a little break and some time on the bench... but I hope the fans show support next time he does make an appearance as I think he needs it. You can see he is clearly frustrated with himself and his own performance and it just makes him look sulky. The manager could have done him a favour and taken him off ten mins earlier as he was clearly spent.

I expect he will return to good form though. He just needs to get his head down and start focusing on the basics... not trying to do too much and don't try and force it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I almost buy into the claim that he was carrying an injury last season which results in his lackluster performance throughout the year. And I thought he already had an surgery which fix all that early this season. But its still the same old shite week in week out.

Foxbatt

Martial has been having depression for a longer time now. Why is he not given the same leeway by some of you?

Last edited:

rooneyberbatov

It's not only about Rashford, though I think the Euros broke him. Athletes are humans and they should be able to talk openly about their mental health. If you watch tennis, you know what happened with Naomi Osaka. With social media, absolutely crazy amount of money involved, they struggle, and I'm not surprised.

I feel for Rashford, if he's depressed, he has to get professional help. He has the means to do that and that's a good thing, because many people don't. And the club should support him. But at the same time he shouldn't be near the squad and I'm baffled our coaches haven't noticed his struggles.

Offsideagain

Rashford is 24 now, not a kid. For me, I think he is struggling with some sort of injury, perhaps his back or shoulder. I don’t buy this mental health issue stuff. The team are in bad shape, nothing seems to be going our way. We need a spark to ignite a fire under them. I thought Elanga was good for the short time he was on and I hope to see more of him this season. That may be the spark that gets the others going.

Siezard

Why ain't he dropped. Greenwood also. We have players on the bench who would love a chance.
Play Elanga and Amad in their place, or DvB.
Won't happen for Elanga and Amad. Their status are simply far too low compared to Greenwood and Rashford or Martial or Cavani or CR7.

Their chance of playing in the next game always hinge on them producing a goal/an assist within 15 mins of their entire sub appearance. The chance is lower than 1%.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Was he booed off last night ?
I think so. His attitude absolutely stinks right now and the match going fans have picked up on it.

After all of the time out this season, he should be looking as fresh as a button but he doesn’t even look like he wants to run.

There is something very wrong with this young man at the moment. I hope he’s ok.

Jackal981

Oh please, pretty convenient for the depression theory to come up after another subpar performance. No one was mentioning it 24 hours ago when we were all being told off for critiquing his form. Worse yet, it's based on feckall but body language.
Felt like mental health is a cop out in this current time we are living.

Devil’s Trident

What the hell is going on ? How the hell people have decided he has depression or mental health issues ? Based on what ? How people have diagnosed him ?

Just because he doesn’t look arsed or track back, it’s must be depression ? How come posters use this word so lightly ? It’s illiterate and so idiotic of all of you who don’t take it seriously and throw this word just like that. Gossip mongerers and Rumour creators. Plucking something out of thin air rather than thinking that he might just be shit and have an attitude but no, every thing has to have a sinister excuse to justify the crap attitude and performances so that we keep our dishonesty intact and keep on shitting on other players for the same level of performances. I see no difference between you lot and the British media. Cut from the same cloth.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He saw his friends die in front of him, and was lucky to survive himself, at 20 years old.

Rashford missed a penalty and had an elective shoulder surgery after three weeks in Turks and Caicos.

Not exactly comparable.
[/QUOTE
I was aware.
But I am not aware of what’s going on with Rashford .Neither are you.
He will be back.

Born2Lose

Never seen a player so mothered before.

These apathetic people who think United should be some kind of rehabilitation centre for affable losers are watching the football they deserve right now.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Thanks for that reminder. I could understand more of the negativity going Marcus' way if the lad had a bad attitude or a big head but he has neither.
His rough patch is going on too long and somebody of his character and class would be feeling incredibly frustrated with himself and the fact that he's letting the side and fans down.
Nobody knows that better than him, his problem is not to do with attitude. I hope he can get it together very soon and hopefully Rangnick will make a difference,
Im not convinced that is true, The standing around waving his arms when HE loses the ball, lack of chasing, blatantly being pissed at greenwood for not laying it on a plate for him, not following up in the box and actually turning his back on the ball, plus the shitty emails from his entourage to journalists, (followed with the usual "I was hacked" bollocks) suggests a poor attitude to me. I could be wrong, but it doesnt look good.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He's not enjoying himself out there, that's for sure. That doesn't automatically point to mental health issues, sure, but it cannot be ruled out.

The ignorance of those suggesting mental health issues is just a cop-out should come as a surprise. It doesn't.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
This can be taken to his player discussion thread. Can we leave out the speculation about his mental health and cod psychology though please. No-one has a clue, so it's just idle, and tasteless, postulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.