Marcus Rashford destroying the DailyMail

Fluctuation0161

Agreed this only really occurs in London in the big lavish houses where the rental yield is relatively small and the upside capital appreciaton can be vast. Mostly owned in offshore companies by wealthy foreigners who look to diversify their portfolios.

As you say why would you sit on an empty property additonally the locations he’s brought them, rent defaults aren’t likely and Rashfords PR team won’t let them be empty.

There is a housing problem and it’s based on the ancient planning system however this has got slightly better with the easing of regulations due to COVID.

I agree there needs to be oversight to ensure quality new build housing but it can be much much more efficient.

Why can’t the government step in, allocate green belt land for social housing and own the estates, SIMPLE. I guess they won’t be lining the pockets of the people who keep them in power if they did that I guess.

Anyway the daily mail can fakoff.
The housing problem is down to the simple fact that not enough social housing or council housing has been built. Last 10 years has seen a massive dip in rate of production for social/ Council housing.

I hope you are joking about building on the green belt, plenty of brownfield sites would fit the bill.

Eire Red United

Another positive move from Rashford, but read the first comment. Typical poppy wearing knuckle dragger posts some absolute made up rubbish about him avoiding tax.

dal

The housing problem is down to the simple fact that not enough social housing or council housing has been built. Last 10 years has seen a massive dip in rate of production for social/ Council housing.

I hope you are joking about building on the green belt, plenty of brownfield sites would fit the bill.
Why would I be joking about building on the green belt, it’s built on all the time, I don’t quite understand.

United Hobbit

I'm not sure if there is a separate thread about his book club but if he can get that established too he's done a fantastic job there too, I think reading is so important for children to do, I can remember my mum always made time each evening for us to read together and when I eventually have children I'd like to do the same

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Obviously, they're opponents politically but good to see another publication call them out.

https://amp.theguardian.com/footbal...n-a-young-black-man?__twitter_impression=true
Just read that one. Good read

Saying the Daily Mail is a disgrace is really redundant, but this is a new low even for them.

So because hes black hes not allowed to be a philanthropist? Him looking out for his closest family means he cant do good for society at large? The Mail and the rotten fecking scum who wrote it can feck right off.

The Guardian raise a good point there, he is not getting involved in politics with all this. Just pointing out what he wants to happen, instead of pinning his name to Corbyn or whoever like so many other celebrities do. Millions more are listening to him as a result and it should be a lesson for others in his position.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So The Guardian's Jonathan Liew wrote this (excellent) article basically damning the Mail for their article and delving into the (sinister) reasons behind it

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...shford-a-sinister-attack-on-a-young-black-man

And the Mail - of course put their blinkers on and wrote this hilarious letter as a response

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/nov/17/nothing-wrong-with-our-rashford-report

The premise of Jonathan Liew’s article (Mail on Sunday v Marcus Rashford: a sinister attack on a young black man, 16 November) seems to be that our writing about Mr Rashford purchasing buy-to-let homes is (a) somehow racist, and (b) part of some rightwing plot to discredit him. But these claims are as offensive as they are wrong and ignore several important points.

First, last month (25 October) our columnist Sarah Vine wrote a stinging article about the government’s disastrous response to Mr Rashford’s free school meals campaign. While she had only hostile words for the government, she described Mr Rashford as a “role model” and “a sincere young man who understands the issues from his own experience and who is trying in a dignified way to bring them to the fore”. The following week, we carried a 1,000-word piece across two pages from Mr Rashford himself about his campaign, which, as our headline said, has “inspired the nation”.

We wrote about Mr Rashford’s buy-to-let homes for exactly the same reason we’ve previously written about other high-profile footballers such as Robbie Fowler who’ve invested in this way – it’s simply an interesting story. Of course, we also mentioned Mr Rashford’s campaigning – that’s the reason he’s so much in the public eye.

Incidentally, it’s only people on the left who think there’s anything wrong with becoming a buy-to-let landlord. My view is the same as Mr Rashford’s – he’s in a profession with a notoriously short lifespan and he’s extremely wise to be making preparations for the future.
Ted Verity
Editor, Mail on Sunday

In summary... Ted Verity a bit of a knob.

For a summary of why - go here: https://www.football365.com/news/guardian-mail-on-sunday-marcus-rashford

MrBest

A young talented footballer, gives back to the community and uses his position of influence to do this. He then spends his own money to invest in his families future, rather than gambling it all away. Obviously the time he invested in supporting children in the UK is not enough, and the DM suggest he should be giving his own money to the cause. This is coincided with Borris securing billions of pounds to the defence of the UK whilst Marcus had to beg and beg for visibility and action. What a terrible person Rashford must be.

MrBest

He's only doing what lots of rich people do, which is buy up property and rent them. It's a shame there isn't more stringent regulation in place which stops this kind of practice when taken to extremities, though. It's causing a global housing crisis.
I don't blame him investing in his family at all. He is not from a privileged background and all he is doing is securing the future of his family in this country whereby people from a ethnic background have rarely been given this opportunity. I totally do the same and invest my money, i dont have huge inheritance sitting on my lap, i am the first generation in the country so what I do, matters for the future of my family. I hate it that people treat situations like this as a commodity rather than strip out and review the facts (fyi, this is not a dig at you at all).

Posh Red

I don't blame him investing in his family at all. He is not from a privileged background and all he is doing is securing the future of his family in this country whereby people from a ethnic background have rarely been given this opportunity. I totally do the same and invest my money, i dont have huge inheritance sitting on my lap, i am the first generation in the country so what I do, matters for the future of my family. I hate it that people treat situations like this as a commodity rather than strip out and review the facts (fyi, this is not a dig at you at all).
There’s nothing wrong with the sentiment, but that doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t deeper issues with the BTL market in the UK in general. It’s why the government has put more schemes in place to help first time buyers on to the property ladder over the last decade or so.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
they are really scraping the barrel if "Rashford buys some houses" is the best they can come up with
Didn't Michael Owen buy an entire street..?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a good lad. Fair play to him. feck the daily fail & feck the tories.

on a side note though, maybe time to focus on the football a bit more? I feel bad saying it but he’s had one good game in months...

Lee565

The daily mail and its readers wont be happy unless he was living on the streets in a cardboard box just like they wish every other black, gay and foreign person was living like.