Marcus Rashford is the most valuable player in our squad

Son

That’s a massive disservice to Nani, he could hit it from range with either foot, Nani at his peak was one of the best wide men around, he had it all.
I am probably doing Nani a disservice I’ll admit that. He was one of the best wide men around for a couple of years. Albeit apart from Robben and Ribery at that time I can’t think of too many ridiculously talented pure wingers in the early 10’s.

Rashford to me looks like he may be a bracket above Nani though due to his maturity for his age. This season he has kicked on in a way we all wished Nani would have done at the time.

Would I take a player like Nani in this current team? Hell yes! I can’t wait for us to buy another tricky winger.

Would I swap a 22 yr old Rashford for a 22 yr old Nani... No

ReddBalls

Comparing Paul Scholes - a player adored by Zidane, Pirlo, Messi - to Marcus fecking Rashford...

Yeah, ok.
Exactly. Even though Scholes was adored by Zidane, Pielo, Messi, Xavi, and hailed as one of the best of his generation, United never received any offers for him.

It's pretty obvious that Rashford, just like Scholes, isn't interested in going anywhere else. That doesn't make them equal as players in any way, but it shows how stupid it is to gauge a players ability by how many offers from other clubs they attract.

Le Red

I am probably doing Nani a disservice I’ll admit that. He was one of the best wide men around for a couple of years. Albeit apart from Robben and Ribery at that time I can’t think of too many ridiculously talented pure wingers in the early 10’s.

Rashford to me looks like he may be a bracket above Nani though due to his maturity for his age. This season he has kicked on in a way we all wished Nani would have done at the time.

Would I take a player like Nani in this current team? Hell yes! I can’t wait for us to buy another tricky winger.

Would I swap a 22 yr old Rashford for a 22 yr old Nani... No
Not the same kind of player, even when Rashford plays on the wing.
I don't know why the comparison, but if Rashford becomes as good as Nani I'll be very happy.

Le Red

Rashford deserves a lot of praise for the growth he's shown during tumultuous times at the club and the chaos of managerial upheaval, but this thread is a reach and reads like the hope of fans, not the reality of the here and now.

To put a valuation to Rashford, you first have to look around the clubs that pay fortunes for talent, then you have to look at what they have and who they have spent on in the past and why. Then, you have to ask whether they would put equivalent money on the table for Rashford as usurper/supplanter, because no [true] fortune is spent on a substitute. So where does that leave us?

Neymar as potentially the best player on the planet sold twice for over £150m (yes, I'm factoring in all the underhanded payments).

Mbappe, as potentially the player of his generation, sold for over £170m already and any future sale, injuries and form notwithstanding, will be even more - invariably the new world record transfer.

Bale, after taking the league by storm, exploding in the CL and performing internationally.

Pogba, legitimately expected to be the midfielder of his generation and a future all-timer.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Juventus bought him to win the CL and raise their profile.

Coutinho, to Barca after a number of seasons of looking top brass.

Dembele, to Barca after a phenomenal season at Dortmund.

Hazard, after literal years of performance that some rate as the best in the PL.

None of this even factors commercial value, which obviously props up what's stated and catapults these players into a bracket clubs pay premiums for as a given.

Without the Champions League or a breakout international tournament or even absolute domestic-level dominance, it's absurd to place Rashford's monetary value over Pogba in our team. You first have to ask who would pay a premium for him as there only a handful of clubs who even entertain that notion: Real, PSG, Barca, Ourselves, Juve with the likes of City, Liverpool and perhaps even Chelsea not being clubs we'd sell to.

As of yet, Rashford does not have the profile for the Spanish clubs to come to the table with proper and correct offers; PSG are stable for the time being, besides which, they seek a more constant level of technical ability in their forwards... you're left with Juventus, far more likely to plunder Serie A than move on an unproven player from another league for an astronomical fee.

A player is worth what someone else is willing to pay. I would very much like to see a non-rose tint on where people are getting their Rashford valuations from and who they think would shell out Pogba money for him, and why.

As an addendum, I do think Rashford will have a genuine breakthrough season, at which point it would not be unreasonable or illogical to think his worth will take a leap and have him as a player the aforementioned teams would have on their radar as a starter, not an undercut substitute.
OK. Rose-tinted glasses off, I did a little check on transfermarkt. Far from being the truth, but still a neutral source.
They place Rashford at 80m Euros, which would make him the 5th most expensive CF and 29th in the world.
If his second half of the season is as good as the first, this will certainly improve considerably.
It seems that you're massive underrating his market potential.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
OK. Rose-tinted glasses off, I did a little check on transfermarkt. Far from being the truth, but still a neutral source.
They place Rashford at 80m Euros, which would make him the 5th most expensive CF and 29th in the world.
If his second half of the season is as good as the first, this will certainly improve considerably.
It seems that you're massive underrating his market potential.
Who do you think will buy him for that price, particularly so, clubs we'd actually sell to?

Actually, remove that, and add those, too, if you want.

The proviso with these players is they either have a phenomenal domestic campaign; CL campaign; international one, or all three, which puts you in the Mbappé bracket.

Rashford is having a good domestic campaign, nothing spectacular relative to those listed when they earned their moves.

He has age on his side as well as growth and potential, but is that enough to catapult him into the conversation with the top brass, de facto most desirable assets in football? Not yet, no.

I'd add it's a massive hit to not be showing wares in the CL for Rashford. He barely gets to play against the greatest the continent has to offer let alone make the name for himself the others on the list got to, and even more damaging is he will have to cement himself as an established performer at the level some way down the road when we're finally back in the competition.

Rashford's worth will increase exponentially, one would think, but he's not the most desirable or valuable asset we have.

Le Red

Who do you think will buy him for that price, particularly so, clubs we'd actually sell to?

Actually, remove that, and add those, too, if you want.

The proviso with these players is they either have a phenomenal domestic campaign; CL campaign; international one, or all three, which puts you in the Mbappé bracket.

Rashford is having a good domestic campaign, nothing spectacular relative to those listed when they earned their moves.

He has age on his side as well as growth and potential, but is that enough to catapult him into the conversation with the top brass, de facto most desirable assets in football? Not yet, no.

I'd add it's a massive hit to not be showing wares in the CL for Rashford. He barely gets to play against the greatest the continent has to offer let alone make the name for himself the others on the list got to, and even more damaging is he will have to cement himself as an established performer at the level some way down the road when we're finally back in the competition.

Rashford's worth will increase exponentially, one would think, but he's not the most desirable or valuable asset we have.
I think you are making a mistake in equating a player's value with offers potentially received.
It's hard to guess what a player would be sold for when he's obviously not for sale.
If the club was looking to sell Rashford for whatever reason, there would be a lot of suitors, I have no doubt.
I think Real Madrid is one that needs a player just like him, for example.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think you are making a mistake in equating a player's value with offers potentially received.
It's hard to guess what a player would be sold for when he's obviously not for sale.
If the club was looking to sell Rashford for whatever reason, there would be a lot of suitors, I have no doubt.
I think Real Madrid is one that needs a player just like him, for example.
Real Madrid run like clockwork; what they buy for premium rate is either the most elite teenagers on the planet or finished article players. Rashford is neither; even if they came in for him, it would be with a lowball offer after the usual tap-up routine.

And neither Spanish club respects 'not for sale' the only way to fend them off once you have a bonafide superstar is the player flatly turning them down, or having enough money yourself to absolutely wreak havoc with them in return - see PSG with the Neymar affair once Barca thought it prudent to go after Verratti.

The football world is a small and formulaic place when talking about selling elite talent, so talking about lots of suitors without naming them doesn't really cut it.

Atletico dipped their toe in that water and it hasn't worked out well for them thus far; I am not sure they'll be eager to do so again. Arsenal, too.

TrueRed79

This thread is worth a bump. Way too many around here don't appreciate how good he is.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
There is something nice about this now. About the notion that the title statement is actually true now.

For so long, we have only ever heard about how Paul Pogba is the MVP and most valuable player in the squad. There hasn’t been too much debate and most other potential challengers to the throne were shot down or laughed off.

Marcus Rashford is the MVP of Manchester United now. Would I sell Pogba for 90 million tomorrow? Without even thinking, I would! Would I sell Rashford for 90 million tomorrow? Not a chance!

He has so much upside now, and seems to be getting better and better. If he is in a better side and is able to become more consistent (those two might come hand in hand), he will be a scary, scary player.

We have a world class player on our hands and he is one of our own. Nothing against Paul Pogba, but it feels great to say Marcus Rashford is our star player.

In Rainbows

There is something nice about this now. About the notion that the title statement is actually true now.

For so long, we have only ever heard about how Paul Pogba is the MVP and most valuable player in the squad. There hasn’t been too much debate and most other potential challengers to the throne were shot down or laughed off.

Marcus Rashford is the MVP of Manchester United now. Would I sell Pogba for 90 million tomorrow? Without even thinking, I would! Would I sell Rashford for 90 million tomorrow? Not a chance!
Why would you want to sell either unless forced? If we bought Sancho, would then that mean that we would need to sell Rashford? How about having multiple candidates for that? It only makes the side better.

Maluco

Why would you want to sell either unless forced? If we bought Sancho, would then that mean that we would need to sell Rashford? How about having multiple candidates for that? It only makes the side better.
Honestly? I would want to sell Pogba because I don’t think he fits the profile of this squad, and I don’t think he is fully committed to the team. I think he believes he is bigger than Manchester United and deserves better, whereas Marcus is getting his hands dirty and lifting the teams performances.

All the constant agent and transfer talk is annoying and just detracts from the team. If funds are limited, I would gladly accept money for Pogba and use it for a few players who want to be here and I think the squad and first team would be better off.

If we sold Rashford for that? I think we would struggle to find a player with as high potential. I don’t feel that way with Pogba. I think there are midfielders available who would offer more consistency and set a better example for the squad.

Rashford is the new face of United and I am delighted about it.

BR7

There is one good thing about such threads and that is it exposes those who really don’t understand football. I’ve been watching our youth team for years now dating back to macheda and Petrucci and just before....

I’ve been impressed with many of the lads who then never fulfilled their true potential or make the next step and they then disappear. Hundreds.... the number that do is minimal compared to those who sadly move on as they haven’t made that grade that isrequired here.

When I first saw rash I was massively impressed he seemed to be a natural goal scorer with pace, fearless at that level who would run at defenders with an excellent physique for his age. Sometimes it’s more obvious with some players as it was with rash. He’s hugely talented and will only get better.

Unfortunately for rash, then came mason soon after.I have watched this kid with absolute awe. Where Marcus has one foot (which misfires sometimes) mason has two. I’ve read people talking about his preferred foot but reality is I’ve seen him score wondergoals with both. We have something truly and seriously special in mason. I think we’ll be talking about Mason more than rash in two years time.

People compare mason to RVP, it’s misguided, he is far more advanced than RVP was at the same age. He is the best talent I’ve seen come through our system since I watched our youth teams.

A poignant picture years ago when rash had broken into the first team. Mason at a youth game sat on the bench watching the game and in the background there was rash who’d turned up to watch the youth team and all he was watching or looking at was mason sat on the bench, not the match in front of him, with beedy eyes.

It’s either no secret or the worst kept secret at Utd, Mason is and will be the one. Apologies if anyone thought I was trying to change the direction of the thread, really wasn’t my intention. I’ve seen in my opinion the best ever youth product we have ever had since I’ve been watching them, in mason. Away at Liverpool in the cup, I know they had a player sent off by then but his 2 free kicks under pressure were sublime and his free kick against Newcastle, his goal against Bradford...... I could write ten pages on him and he’s just turned 18. He has skills, tricks the whole package but we’ll start seeing them soon enough once he’s settled.

So we can keep talking about rash for now but ultimately this will be a moot point.

SOmeone wrote on a different thread that mason was playing within himself currently just breaking into the first team etc.... couldn’t agree more. Guys, enjoy what’s coming with both mason and rash. Let’s get behind them.

Reactions: Dargonk

Maluco

There is one good thing about such threads and that is it exposes those who really don’t understand football. I’ve been watching our youth team for years now dating back to macheda and Petrucci and just before....

I’ve been impressed with many of the lads who then never fulfilled their true potential or make the next step and they then disappear. Hundreds.... the number that do is minimal compared to those who sadly move on as they haven’t made that grade that isrequired here.

When I first saw rash I was massively impressed he seemed to be a natural goal scorer with pace, fearless at that level who would run at defenders with an excellent physique for his age. Sometimes it’s more obvious with some players as it was with rash. He’s hugely talented and will only get better.

Unfortunately for rash, then came mason soon after.I have watched this kid with absolute awe. Where Marcus has one foot (which misfires sometimes) mason has two. I’ve read people talking about his preferred foot but reality is I’ve seen him score wondergoals with both. We have something truly and seriously special in mason. I think we’ll be talking about Mason more than rash in two years time.

People compare mason to RVP, it’s misguided, he is far more advanced than RVP was at the same age. He is the best talent I’ve seen come through our system since I watched our youth teams.

A poignant picture years ago when rash had broken into the first team. Mason at a youth game sat on the bench watching the game and in the background there was rash who’d turned up to watch the youth team and all he was watching or looking at was mason sat on the bench, not the match in front of him, with beedy eyes.

It’s either no secret or the worst kept secret at Utd, Mason is and will be the one. Apologies if anyone thought I was trying to change the direction of the thread, really wasn’t my intention. I’ve seen in my opinion the best ever youth product we have ever had since I’ve been watching them, in mason. Away at Liverpool in the cup, I know they had a player sent off by then but his 2 free kicks under pressure were sublime and his free kick against Newcastle, his goal against Bradford...... I could write ten pages on him and he’s just turned 18. He has skills, tricks the whole package but we’ll start seeing them soon enough once he’s settled.

So we can keep talking about rash for now but ultimately this will be a moot point.

SOmeone wrote on a different thread that mason was playing within himself currently just breaking into the first team etc.... couldn’t agree more. Guys, enjoy what’s coming with both mason and rash. Let’s get behind them.
You have said it yourself mate, it’s all potential until they step up and do it at the highest level. It’s not all about ability. It’s about mentality, determination to succeed, workrate and attitude. I have seen enough of Greenwood too to believe that he can be very special, and I really hope he is.

The fact of the matter is that Rashford joins an elite list as of now with Best and Giggs. Right now, he is the man. He is producing and he is the best player in the squad and the most important. I am excited about where he can go and what heights he can reach.

If Greenwood comes along in two years and blows him away, and is clearly world class and the better player, that’s only going to benefit Manchester United.

But right now, Rashford is proving that he has more than just ability. He has the determination and attitude to become world class, and he deserves to be number one for now. Greenwood still has it all to prove, it’s by no means a given that it will be moot in a few years.

I hope, for United’s sake, it is though!

Reactions: KM

Strelok

Min 150 £m atm, period. If he scores 35+ goals this season then 200 £m.

Look at Maddison, he had one and a half good/decent season at Leicester and is now rated at 100 £m.

Around his age, he's only second to Mbappe imo.

Fridge chutney

rash who’d turned up to watch the youth team and all he was watching or looking at was mason sat on the bench, not the match in front of him, with beedy eyes.
This is an extremely weird and slightly disturbing statement.

simplyared

Obviously you know a lot more about Mason and interesting to hear your comments about him. Some people can spot talent after seeing a player just a few times. Myself as so many others on here like to think they know a gem when they see one. Yes he's something special and what stands out with me mostly is of course his finishing (not difficult to see) and his movement with the ball. If you know what I mean some players (George Best coming to mind) look as though they were born to be footballers, "poetry in motion" say whay you like. Although not comparing him with Best (that would be crazy) you can already see he has the ability to get a goal out of nothing which could well make him invaluable to our team in the near future.
Rashford has obviously come further in his development and is a bit rougher round the edges. But you'd have to look far to find a better athlete on the field of football. His comittment is also second to none. Yes to think these 2 guys are homegrown is a great feeling and they certainly bring a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Min 150 £m atm, period. If he scores 35+ goals this season then 200 £m.

Look at Maddison, he had one and a half good/decent season at Leicester and is now rated at 100 £m.

Around his age, he's only second to Mbappe imo.
Exactly my thought.
Mbappe vs Rashford could be the next Messi vs Ronaldo :drool:

Joking aside, I really rate Rashford highly after watching his improvement this season. He is definitely one of the most exciting and valuable young player out there.

littleman

I think he's doing great. He did horrible at the start of the season and didn't justify his pay.

Right now, comfortably justifying his pay and position as part of the MUFC XI. Great job, Marcus.

One thing is I do feel like he and Martial overlap quite a bit. Not sure if Martial can truly become the striker we need, but Rashford has claimed left wing as his own.

Tony247

Rashford is learning fast and getting better. Good for a 22 yr old footballer. Keep it up.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If Rashford had been let go from an English club's academy and was performing the way he has been doing the past 4 years for a club like Napoli or Dortmund, we'd be linked to him and the fees quoted would be up to 150m.

Jibbs

He is easily worth 120 to 150 m in current market and definitely higher than Pogba. I just hope we can find from somewhere a player who can play just as well from right wing.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is easily worth 120 to 150 m in current market and definitely higher than Pogba. I just hope we can find from somewhere a player who can play just as well from right wing.
Sancho

But I don’t mind play Greenwood at RWF, although he is not very fast for that role.

BR7

I didn’t take the photo bro
5000 plus posts and I bet they’re all useful as your one above. You deliberately missed the point. Tell me mate how was jumper for goal posts when you were growing up (still growing up I see) while I was playing high level of football, turned down semi pro and played 1st x1 for 2 different universities as well as receiving my university blue?

Stick to knitting son

TRUERED89

Exactly. Even though Scholes was adored by Zidane, Pielo, Messi, Xavi, and hailed as one of the best of his generation, United never received any offers for him.

It's pretty obvious that Rashford, just like Scholes, isn't interested in going anywhere else. That doesn't make them equal as players in any way, but it shows how stupid it is to gauge a players ability by how many offers from other clubs they attract.
Every club knew Scholes would never leave, Giggs had a lot of interest from Italy in his time too. But in the end clubs knew not to bother as it would be a wasted effort.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If Rashford had been let go from an English club's academy and was performing the way he has been doing the past 4 years for a club like Napoli or Dortmund, we'd be linked to him and the fees quoted would be up to 150m.
He is worth that anyway.
Game changers are a rare commodity and at his age he is or is very close to being the most valuable forward in Europe.
Imagine if he was playing for a really good side with a really good coach.

TRUERED89

Martial was injured a lot. Can't score if you are not playing. I don't think Martial is better than Rashford but when Martial is on the pitch we clearly play better and arguably he stretches the defenders, creates space for Rashford to also be way more effective.
This… I bet if you gave them both 10 one-on-one's with the keeper, Martial would score more. Martial is the more accomplished/clinical finisher imo. I salute them both though, our most important players by far.

Fridge chutney

I didn’t take the photo bro

5000 plus posts and I bet they’re all useful as your one above. You deliberately missed the point. Tell me mate how was jumper for goal posts when you were growing up (still growing up I see) while I was playing high level of football, turned down semi pro and played 1st x1 for 2 different universities as well as receiving my university blue?

Stick to knitting son
What photo?

So you're standing by your statement that Rashford spent an entire match staring at Greenwood, even though he was on the bench, and with "beedy eyes"? It's objectively strange picture to paint and frankly is not a very flattering thing to say about Rashford because it makes him sound obsessed and jealous. I enjoyed reading the rest of your post but I couldn't reconcile that statement with everything else you wrote.

And thanks for the ad hominem, you'll last awhile on here if that's how you respond every time you disagree with something someone says.

downunder red

To me the most important player in the squad right now is Fred by along way. Don't get me wrong but if Fred goes half of what Marcus does will disappear.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Number of penalty goals:
Rashford: 5
Lautaro: 2
Osimhen: 1

Non penalty goals:
Tammy Abraham 13
Kylian Mbappe 11
Marcus Rashford 9
Victor Osimhen 9
Jaden Sancho 9
Lautaro Martinez 8

Minutes per npg:
Kylian Mbappe 81
Tammy Abraham 129
Jaden Sancho 131
Lautaro Martinez 164
Victor Osimhen 175
Marcus Rashford 209

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

Number of penalty goals:
Rashford: 5
Lautaro: 2
Osimhen: 1

Goals from open play:

Tammy Abraham 13
Kylian Mbappe 11
Marcus Rashford 9
Victor Osimhen 9
Jaden Sancho 9
Lautaro Martinez 8
And Rashford won 4 of those penalties...