Lautaro Martinez 8

Minutes per npg:
Kylian Mbappe 81
Tammy Abraham 129
Jaden Sancho 131
Lautaro Martinez 164
Victor Osimhen 175
Marcus Rashford 209
And Rashford won 3 or 4 of those that he scored. Keep trying though.

KristianMackle

The only player you can genuinely tell is trying his utmost to get us going every game is Marcus. Haven't seen that since prime Rooney days.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
And Rashford won 3 or 4 of those that he scored. Keep trying though.
Not taking any sides here, but what does that matter? There's players on that list who don't take the penalties but won them.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Penalties need to be put away though don't they?
Sure they do, it's an important aspect of the game, but that's not really what I was asking. I was just curious why Doom was being so dismissive of the list if some on it have won the penalties themselves but aren't the penalty taker, which doesn't mean they couldn't put it away themselves, by the way. We can agree that scoring a penalty should be easier than scoring in the flow of the game.

Jeffthered

The only player you can genuinely tell is trying his utmost to get us going every game is Marcus. Haven't seen that since prime Rooney days.
Not sure if I agree with this statement, not at all. Rashford is still maturing , his game is witness to that.. but even this season, he has had periods where he goes missing, but he seems, seems to be becoming more consistent, and responsible. Rooney comparisons are both immature, and in my opinion, wrong. Rooney was all action.. physically imposing himself across the park... Rashford is not at that level yet, and I wonder whether he plays that way. Rashford still has a bit of a 'showreel' about his game.. a bit. He doesn't need that, because he is a talented player. Just keep things simple. Look at Messi, Ronaldo...most of their touches are actually quite basic, and donot disrupt the rhythm of their team.. their individuality compliments, rather than challenges, their team. I think Rashford has a little way to go in this aspect of his game, but he is getting better. However, it should be said that he doesn't have anybody to give him that guidance.

romufc

Sure they do, it's an important aspect of the game, but that's not really what I was asking. I was just curious why Doom was being so dismissive of the list if some on it have won the penalties themselves but aren't the penalty taker, which doesn't mean they couldn't put it away themselves, by the way. We can agree that scoring a penalty should be easier than scoring in the flow of the game.
Yes, winning the penalty doesn't make too much of a difference because it doesnt mean if they didnt get fouled they would even get a shot off, let alone score.

They should be easier but some of the penalties Rashford has taken have been under considerable pressure.

He also had his goal v Villa chopped off.

But a goal is a goal no? look at Tammy's goal on the weekend.

KennyBurner

Please tell me exactly what Fred does to make you think he's our most important player. Then we can have a discussion!
Controls tempo and gets the ball forward. Without him we would be settling for 1-0 games and De gea having to lob the ball out the back. I dont agree that he is our most important player but for me he is top 3 best performers so far this season.

Its really difficult to appreciate some of our players right now because we are sitting in 5th but they have pulled their weight this season. We have just been unlucky with injuries and having to give game time to Lingard/pereira.

romufc

Its really difficult to appreciate some of our players right now because we are sitting in 5th but they have pulled their weight this season. We have just been unlucky with injuries and having to give game time to Lingard/pereira.
Or it could be because of the clear lack of quality in this team?

Even though a number of players are playing well and pulling their weight we are only 5th?

3/4 quality players needed to bridge the quality gap, then there is consistency.

simplyared

Controls tempo and gets the ball forward. Without him we would be settling for 1-0 games and De gea having to lob the ball out the back. I dont agree that he is our most important player but for me he is top 3 best performers so far this season.

It amazes me the praise Fred get's on this forum. This isn't a thread on him but I must voice my opinion here. What does the player bring to the table seriously? He can't shoot, he can't take on opponents; he passes sideways and backwords more than he passes forwards. He takes zero initiative by just releasing the ball as soon as he gets it and leaving the creativity to others. How can he control the tempo when he only has the ball for 3 seconds? On top of that I cannot see the player ever getting on the score sheet, which for a midfielder is a big limitation. To have him has one of our top 3 performers is way out imo.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I didn’t take the photo bro

5000 plus posts and I bet they’re all useful as your one above. You deliberately missed the point. Tell me mate how was jumper for goal posts when you were growing up (still growing up I see) while I was playing high level of football, turned down semi pro and played 1st x1 for 2 different universities as well as receiving my university blue?

Stick to knitting son
Mate if you're going to be this smug then you need to develop your footballer career a little further. That's a pretty poor cv.

thepolice123

Interesting response to a deeper statistical context.
I don't get your point.

Abraham's stats are heavily padded by the 7 goals he scored against Wolves, Sheffield and Norwich. And that was almost 4 months ago in the month of August. Not exactly the hallmark of consistency.

Penalties or not, Rashford's performances this season is enough to put him up there with the best U23 players.

downunder red

It amazes me the praise Fred get's on this forum. This isn't a thread on him but I must voice my opinion here. What does the player bring to the table seriously? He can't shoot, he can't take on opponents; he passes sideways and backwords more than he passes forwards. He takes zero initiative by just releasing the ball as soon as he gets it and leaving the creativity to others. How can he control the tempo when he only has the ball for 3 seconds? On top of that I cannot see the player ever getting on the score sheet, which for a midfielder is a big limitation. To have him has one of our top 3 performers is way out imo.
Don't get me wrong, Rashford is having a great and hopefully his break out year. You have picked him as the most important player right now. IMO Fred is. He's the work horse of the team. He passes forward a lot more times than you think and sets himself to receive the ball from the backs thus breaking the oppositions first line of defense. I'll agree with you about his goal scoring but right now I shudder to think what we'd look like with out him at the moment.

VJ1762

Not taking any sides here, but what does that matter? There's players on that list who don't take the penalties but won them.
But he has won them 4 out of 5 by himself though. Are we going to start penalising players for winning penalties and taking them now?

VJ1762

I mean even Messi himself has missed a few penalties in important matches. I know people take shots at ronaldo and say 'Penaldo' and all that, but sometimes pressure can get to you.
I am not Rashford's biggest fan and he is very overrated on the back of games we win, but he has clearly been the MVP this season. Maybe next year will be different, and maybe we will see the real Martial and Pogba(if he stays).

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
But he has won them 4 out of 5 by himself though. Are we going to start penalising players for winning penalties and taking them now?
I'm not penalizing him, I'm simply just giving credits to others on the list to give some context to the comparison that they do win penalties but don't necessarily take them because of different factors that have nothing to do with their inability to convert them themselves. Someone dismissed the list of players who seem to be better scorer of goals compared to Rashford because Rashford won his penalties so it shouldn't be a factor at all in the conversation that he's got a good chunk of his goals from penalties, my simple point is that others on the list have also won their team penalties but don't take them, and would be higher on the goal charts if not for that fact.

I am not trying to downplay anything, I've spoken very highly of Rashford and I do see him as the MVP this season, I'm simply interested in context when the discussion of best or most efficient forward is being had and we're making comparisons.

BR7

Mate if you're going to be this smug then you need to develop your footballer career a little further. That's a pretty poor cv.
The point wasn’t to be smug but over the years the united fans who have never played football at any level have too much to say. The cv isn’t great but add six a-levels and a law degree I’m happy with my lot.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Min 150 £m atm, period. If he scores 35+ goals this season then 200 £m.

Look at Maddison, he had one and a half good/decent season at Leicester and is now rated at 100 £m.

Around his age, he's only second to Mbappe imo.
If we were offered £250m today we would turn it down without thinking. £300m we would have a think and then turn it down.

BR7

Talk sport we’re discussing rash leading the line for England if kane doesnt make it and how well he’ll do. Any thoughts anyone?

Footyislife

The best indicator of a players worth is whether the team performs without them.

By that standard I'd say Martial or Pogba are the obvious most valuable players as our performances are the most dire without them.

That being said, Rashford brings far more consistent effort than those two which makes him one of our key players. It's only his inefficiency with scoring chances holds him back from being our best player in my opinion.

Stacks

If Rashford had been let go from an English club's academy and was performing the way he has been doing the past 4 years for a club like Napoli or Dortmund, we'd be linked to him and the fees quoted would be up to 150m.
I reckon 100mill as it's this season where he has pushed on. The other seasons his stats were meh. Jason Sancho is the example

OverratedOpinion

The best indicator of a players worth is whether the team performs without them.

By that standard I'd say Martial or Pogba are the obvious most valuable players as our performances are the most dire without them.

That being said, Rashford brings far more consistent effort than those two which makes him one of our key players. It's only his inefficiency with scoring chances holds him back from being our best player in my opinion.
Very hard to judge given how rare it is that Rashford is injured.

MuranoLover

For first 200 games , Rashy with 64 goals and 31 assists .

Ronaldo had 47 goals and 41 assists .

Henry 50 goals and 11 assists .

Mainoldo

For first 200 games , Rashy with 64 goals and 31 assists .

Ronaldo had 47 goals and 41 assists .

Henry 50 goals and 11 assists .
Hopefully he takes off like them too. Half of Ronaldo’s stats and we are in for a treat.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Our results were shite with or without Pogba always. Only difference is that against teams we win 2-0 usually, with Pogba we win those games 4-0. If anything, I would say we are even better without Pogba in some bigger games.

chromepaxos

The point wasn’t to be smug but over the years the united fans who have never played football at any level have too much to say. The cv isn’t great but add six a-levels and a law degree I’m happy with my lot.
"I'm not smug but look at all my A-levels."

That is fkn hysterical.

He is actually boasting about his A-LEVELS!!! Hahahahahahahahahahah... Oh, feck me. That made me laugh.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Looks like Rashford rejected Raiola:

Earlier this year, the Italian-born Dutchman held talks with Marcus Rashford’s representatives with a view to working together at some stage. Rashford is looked after by his brothers Dwaine and Dane through D N May Sports Management and they had a couple of introductory meetings with Raiola. The conversation was said to centre on future collaboration, rather than any transfer away from Old Trafford — amid strong interest from Barcelona — and the two sides left impressed by the other. But ultimately, Rashford and his brothers declined the offer of assistance .

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Looks like Rashford rejected Raiola:

Earlier this year, the Italian-born Dutchman held talks with Marcus Rashford’s representatives with a view to working together at some stage. Rashford is looked after by his brothers Dwaine and Dane through D N May Sports Management and they had a couple of introductory meetings with Raiola. The conversation was said to centre on future collaboration, rather than any transfer away from Old Trafford — amid strong interest from Barcelona — and the two sides left impressed by the other. But ultimately, Rashford and his brothers declined the offer of assistance .
Good lad, his head seems to be in the right place. Wish him the best.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Worth dropping in for the frankly epic BR7 tirade. Astounding stuff. Thanks to all involved.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Number of penalty goals:
Rashford: 5
Lautaro: 2
Osimhen: 1

Non penalty goals:
Tammy Abraham 13
Kylian Mbappe 11
Marcus Rashford 9
Victor Osimhen 9
Jaden Sancho 9
Lautaro Martinez 8

Minutes per npg:
Kylian Mbappe 81
Tammy Abraham 129
Jaden Sancho 131
Lautaro Martinez 164
Victor Osimhen 175
Marcus Rashford 209
Erm, okay....

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Talk sport we’re discussing rash leading the line for England if kane doesnt make it and how well he’ll do. Any thoughts anyone?
Vardy up top and Rashford to the left. Then throw in Sterling and Sancho interchanging on the right and through the middle and you've got some threat on the counter. That said, I don't know how England line up these days.

RooneyLegend

Nope, he is ahead Martial already...
Pogba because he is played longer and supposed to be on his peak
Not in my opinion hes not. He still has games where nothing comes of for him. Not the case with Martial. Honestly, if we had a better coach people would realize just how good Martial is.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Not in my opinion hes not. He still has games where nothing comes of for him. Not the case with Martial. Honestly, if we had a better coach people would realize just how good Martial is.
The same could be said of Martial. They're still developing.

That said, Rashford seems to have found himself in the left forward spot and made it his own. He's more consistent and looks like he's up for it almost every game. On current form he seems a step ahead of Martial.

Martial is very, very gifted, probably more so than Rashford, and his close control is a joy to watch, but I'd like to point out that most valuable player is not the same thing as best or most gifted player.

Not to derail the thread but with Rashford doing well in the left attacking spot, he's no longer competing with Martial, who prefers CF. The threat to Martial's spot in a year or two would probably be from Greenwood.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Number of penalty goals:
Rashford: 5
Lautaro: 2
Osimhen: 1

Non penalty goals:
Tammy Abraham 13
Kylian Mbappe 11
Marcus Rashford 9
Victor Osimhen 9
Jaden Sancho 9