Marcus Rashford is the most valuable player in our squad

Classical Mechanic

It just seems like a strange method to try and make Rashford look better than he is, which is completely unnecessary as he's done great on his own this season, without these nonsense methods. The simple reason why this doesn't work is because it's not calculated that way for the golden boot for example. Unless you're playing outside of the top 5 leagues, at which point they will start to devalue goals. As shocking as it may be, it's not really harder to score in the Premier league or La Liga compared to the Bundesliga, Serie A, or Ligue 1; there's plenty of players who have demonstrated that in the past, and will continue to do so.

It's good to see you guessed around though, I'm sure that will make it a bit more valid and contextualized. :lol:
:lol:

French league isn't even a top 5 league anymore!

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

Can't live in the past forever.

Of course its harder to score at a higher level!!! The majority of players that come from the French lego league to PL see a reduction in output and plenty of PL cloggers become killers when going the opposite way. Some can make it sure but most get levelled.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol:

French league isn't even a top 5 league anymore!

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2020

Can't live in the past forever.

Of course its harder to score at a higher level!!! The majority of players that come from the French lego league to PL see a reduction in output and plenty of PL cloggers become killers when going the opposite way. Some can make it sure but most get levelled.
You're linking a website that shows it in the top 5. :houllier:

It's still ranked that way for the European golden boot, a goal is worth the full amount of points, same as Italy, England, Germany, and Spain.

And there isn't much past to live off of when it comes to Ligue 1. :lol:

Classical Mechanic

You're linking a website that shows it in the top 5. :houllier:

It's still ranked that way for the European golden boot, a goal is worth the full amount of points, same as Italy, England, Germany, and Spain.

And there isn't much past to live off of when it comes to Ligue 1. :lol:
:houllier:

Last year it was 6th and this year its behind Portugal again! The times they're a changing. The Golden Boot is wacky, not as wacky as it used to be but it still needs better weighting but I guess since players from the very top leagues only win it anyway they're happy that it serves its purpose as it is. Even Neymar says that playing in France isn't a sporting challenge so how can goals there be the same as in a top league?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:houllier:

Last year it was 6th and this year its behind Portugal again! The times they're a changing. The Golden Boot is wacky, not as wacky as it used to be but it still needs better weighting but I guess since players from the very top leagues only win it anyway they're happy that it serves its purpose as it is. Even Neymar says that playing in France isn't a sporting challenge so how can goals there be the same as in a top league?
Neymar is wrecking Ligue 1, he'd do just the same in England, has done it in Spain, Mbappe will do the same when he moves to Real Madrid, there's just some players that will thrive anywhere because they're just that good. It's silly to believe the Premier league is this last frontier for players like that, they'd do as much damage anywhere.

It just seems like a nonsense counter-argument to the whole 'penalty context' fiasco from the previous page that triggered some. I mean, you actually tried to take away goals and raised the min/goal ratio of players because they're not in the PL, that's kind of strange. At least the penalty conversation had some validity to it, this is just nonsense.

Classical Mechanic

Neymar is wrecking Ligue 1, he'd do just the same in England, has done it in Spain, Mbappe will do the same when he moves to Real Madrid, there's just some players that will thrive anywhere because they're just that good. It's silly to believe the Premier league is this last frontier for players like that, they'd do as much damage anywhere.

It just seems like a nonsense counter-argument to the whole 'penalty context' fiasco from the previous page that triggered some. I mean, you actually tried to take away goals and raised the min/goal ratio of players because they're not in the PL, that's kind of strange. At least the penalty conversation had some validity to it, this is just nonsense.
It's logical, the leagues need to be weighted in some way to reflect their quality. There's no better guide than the coefficients. It doesn't matter if Neymar or Mbappe could do well in a top league, the point is that they aren't. I never said the Premier League is the final frontier. I'd give La Liga a *1 rating too because although the PL has topped the coefficients for 2 seasons its been very close. When the PL was weaker a few years back it would have been a *0.7 to Spain's *1 or something. If the PL declines then so would its weighting. It just so happens that no La Liga players were on that list.

It was a bit tongue cheek of course but there's certainly merit in such a method.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Hasn't put a foot wrong this season. Gone from being a frustrating player on the pitch and doing dumb stuff off it with his Beanz mate Lingard, to being consistently good on the pitch and a perfect role model off it. Easily the most valuable player in the squad.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We’re so lucky to have him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I’m almost certain he’s going to burst into being comprehensively one of the best in the league next season.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I’m almost certain he’s going to burst into being comprehensively one of the best in the league next season.
Yeah his progression up to now certainly suggests the sky’s the limit for him. Has all the tools and a good head on him. Devastating attacker.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I choose to believe that our boy Juan Mata has rubbed off the right way on Rashford. Way to pay it forward Marcus, you're making Manchester proud.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........

Hasn't put a foot wrong this season. Gone from being a frustrating player on the pitch and doing dumb stuff off it with his Beanz mate Lingard, to being consistently good on the pitch and a perfect role model off it. Easily the most valuable player in the squad.
What a fantastic, well grounded human being. The lad deserves every success he will inevitably gain.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
With the addition of Bruno and the rise of Fred/McT I think Pogba will be the best player in our squad. Ideally we’d buy a top CM to complement him too, but we’ll see.

Samid

I actually think his performances this season have been severely underrated. He was delivering the goods without any creative midfielders behind him. The threat on the opposite wing was more or less non-existent so the opposition could afford marking him with an extra man. Also most of the penalties he scored he won them himself through individual brilliance.

Put Pogba/Bruno behind him and Sancho on the opposite wing and we're looking at a potential beast.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I actually think his performances this season have been severely underrated. He was delivering the goods without any creative midfielders behind him. The threat on the opposite wing was more or less non-existent so the opposition could afford marking him with an extra man. Also most of the penalties he scored he won them himself through individual brilliance.

Put Pogba/Bruno behind him and Sancho on the opposite wing and we're looking at a potential beast.
Yep. Way too many caveats of “how many penalty goals!!” whilst he battered the likes of City and Chelsea in every game he played against them.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
What's up with Pogba? He's going no where.
I know, that's why I said he'd be the best player in the squad?

Was highlighting the fact that in the past he's had to play with shite, so now with an inform squad and the addition of Bruno I think his game will go up to the level it's at for France.

Walters_19_MuFc

Him being a frustrating player was inevitable at such a young age. Think people forget the lads only 22!

Also, what's the 'dumb stuff' you're referring to?

TheReligion

Abusive
I know, that's why I said he'd be the best player in the squad?

Was highlighting the fact that in the past he's had to play with shite, so now with an inform squad and the addition of Bruno I think his game will go up to the level it's at for France.
Ahh I see I see I see. Bonjour Monsieur

Samid

Him being a frustrating player was inevitable at such a young age. Think people forget the lads only 22!

Also, what's the 'dumb stuff' you're referring to?

These are just some of the examples. Most of these were either during our rotten spell towards the end of last season or right after the season ended. All well and good wearing flashy stuff and acting like clowns if things are going great on the pitch. But if they aren't, buckle down and concentrate on your job.

Manchester United bosses Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Mike Phelan have reportedly pulled aside Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard individually to warn them to remain focused.

There have been concerns over the focus of the attacking duo and they were given separate messages, urging them to concentrate on their football amid worries they could be distracted by outside commitments.

Lingard launched his own fashion label last year and has been criticised for his form, with manager Solskjaer urging him to work harder on the pitch and put work on his brand on the backburner.

With fears Rashford could also become distracted by opportunities away from the sport, Solskjaer is believed to have given him the same warning, backed up by assistant Phelan.

Close friends Rashford and Lingard spent their summer on holiday together, with social media footage of their trip drawing criticism from some quarters.
This was reported in September and it's quite evident that at least Rashford has learned his lesson. He's been a model pro ever since. If we are to return to where we once were we need a squad full of model pros. Leave the off field shenanigans to banter clubs like Arsenal.

Withnail

These are just some of the examples. Most of these were either during our rotten spell towards the end of last season or right after the season ended. All well and good wearing flashy stuff and acting like clowns if things are going great on the pitch. But if they aren't, buckle down and concentrate on your job.

This was reported in September and it's quite evident that at least Rashford has learned his lesson. He's been a model pro ever since. If we are to return to where we once were we need a squad full of model pros. Leave the off field shenanigans to banter clubs like Arsenal.
Wow!

Rashford did feck all here and was rumoured to have been warned because Jesse was. Seems like guilt by association to me.

There's feck all in this mate and hardly any reason to believe he wasn't focussed.

Get a grip.

Samid

Wow!

Rashford did feck all here and was rumoured to have been warned because Jesse was. Seems like guilt by association to me.

There's feck all in this mate and hardly any reason to believe he wasn't focussed.

Get a grip.
We can agree to disagree then. I for one am glad that the current management knows when to put the foot down when players act like clowns rather than pat them on the back and say 'you did nothing wrong'.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I can’t wait to see Rashford back with Bruno in the team feeding him. Hopefully his layoff hasn’t affected his game too much. It’s all rather lethal on paper especially if pogba will muck in. Add sancho and it’s dream team type stuff. Imagine the two lads and Maguire challenging for everything with united and England over the next while. Them playing together every week can only be a good thing. I only wish we’d players that good in the Irish setup.

MrPooni

Pretty sure you're just seeing want you want here. Absolutely nothing in this imo.

Withnail

I can’t wait to see Rashford back with Bruno in the team feeding him. Hopefully his layoff hasn’t affected his game too much. It’s all rather lethal on paper especially if pogba will muck in. Add sancho and it’s dream team type stuff. Imagine the two lads and Maguire challenging for everything with united and England over the next while. Them playing together every week can only be a good thing. I only wish we’d players that good in the Irish setup.
We can only hope some of the young players coming through will get to that level.

Although there's reason to be optimistic with the current crop. It does appear the work put in by Ruud Dokter (what a name) etc over the past 7 years is bearing some fruit now.

Cloud7

Not sure if I ever posted in this thread, but I agree he's our most valuable player

Son

How many sides in the world have a better front 5 of Pogba, Bruno, Sancho?, Rashford & Martial? Man City, PSG maybe... I don’t really know any others.

If they form a cohesive unit we ‘should’ be an awesome attacking threat. Ole will have to earn his stripes again with a talented team. The pressure is going to be huge in these coming years to win things with those players.

Stacks

How many sides in the world have a better front 5 of Pogba, Bruno, Sancho?, Rashford & Martial? Man City, PSG maybe... I don’t really know any others.

If they form a cohesive unit we ‘should’ be an awesome attacking threat. Ole will have to earn his stripes again with a talented team. The pressure is going to be huge in these coming years to win things with those players.
Barcelona, Juventus, Real, Bayern?

romufc

Barcelona, Juventus, Real, Bayern?
Clearly, they are not that good. Juve and Barca rely on Ronaldo and Messi. The others dont really have a better front 5 as they are all ageing and past the best.

Stacks

Clearly, they are not that good. Juve and Barca rely on Ronaldo and Messi. The others dont really have a better front 5 as they are all ageing and past the best.
Being past your best is not a problem when you were world class. Ours are yet to prove anything at a high level. Remember we are 5th with very few wins and one of our worst point tally and 44 league goals. This is not an all conquering side, proven at the highest level.
Bayern thrashed Spurs and have 27 goals in the champions league (more than anyone else). Relying on Messi is not a problem as he is part of their attack. Only a season ago they smashed us with their frontline 3-0 and we barely managed 1 goal over 2 ties.
I am sure a Barcelona fan would laugh that we now claim our attack is superior! They have Griezmann and Suarez aswell.
Benzema contributed 41 G + A only last season and could easily do the same again. Being young doesn't necessarily translate to automatically being better than someone because they are old.