Marcus Rashford is the most valuable player in our squad

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Our best player by far. No doubt. Anyone disagree?
I think he's comfortably below Pogba in terms of value and ability and has a lower ceiling than both Martial and Greenwood. That's not an intended slight on Rashford either, he is clearly a talented player.

KennyBurner

Are we talking about transfer value or actual value? Transfer value Pogba would obviously fetch more. Maguire would too. Martial wouldn't but would be in the same ballpark as Rashford (60-70m at a push).

Actual value, well, just off the top of the head we can easily say that James has had a better season than Rashford so far. Martial is clearly more important statistically because our win % is something like triple for games he starts in, which is not the case with Rashford. Maguire and De Gea add more value in defence. Pogba and McTominay probably more valuable to our overall play as well.

Rashford is easily replaced by Martial or James. McTominay is easily replaced by... Matic? Exactly.
Tottenham, Arsenal, PSG have all enquired about Martial while barcelona was "supposedly" interested in rashford yet you think rashford would fetch more transfer value? Do some of you even realize that if not for United rashford would be playing for bournemouth? Rashford would only go for 40 million at most to any non english team and 50mil to an english side. Martial on the other hand is 70 million minimum.

This thread is very bait mind you.

KennyBurner

No player scores half of the chances they get, the best players barely hit the target half of the time.
maybe he meant half of the sitters he gets. Ive rewatched the partisan game and its criminal how many sitters rashford missed.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I've only been on this forum for a short time but it isn't too difficult to work out how things go around here.

Ole wins a game - Give him 2 years
Ole loses a game--"told you he was shit."

Player has a good game- "I think this is the best performance I've seen in the last 10 years"
Player has a bad game- "told you he was shit."

I think I may have to look up middle ground in the dictionary to make sure it still exists because it certainly doesn't here.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If you’re taking all factors into account Pogba is more valuable. After Pogba he’s probably the second most valuable; English, young, years of top flight experience, England international, quite a good player and a long contract. If you’re taking pure ability into account I think Martial and De Gea pip him.

ifightdragons

Rashford, like so many of our other players, is way too inconsistent. He has awful games just as much as good games.
He doesn't seem to be a very clever footballer either, often not making the right runs to get in deadly spaces.

So, he is definitely not a great footballer yet. And I feel the thread starter has overrated him.
But I would have to agree that in this poor squad we have right now, he is probably one of our most important players. I believe Martial is better.

If we ever become a world-beating side again, Rashford would have to improve manifold to even have a chance of making the starting XI.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Disagree.
I'd argue he isn't even the best in his position at the club.

Great player to have, but not near the talent or player a lot of people seem to think. (in general, not just the caf)

ifightdragons

Disagree.
I'd argue he isn't even the best in his position at the club.

Great player to have, but not near the talent or player a lot of people seem to think. (in general, not just the caf)
Back of the net, 100 % agreed.

I'd say the exact same about Pogba. He was inconsistent at Juventus, and has continued in the same vein here. But a couple of moments of brilliance here and there, and a social media presence/style/flair/whatever, makes him massively overrated among kids and adults that are easily swayed by shallow swagger.

BigLebowski007

The best player? Close, but don't think so. Most valuable player? Again probably not.
But he is a player i would never want to leave United. I'd sell everyone before him.

He is very hard working, quick and strong, determined, great skills, amazing player in my opinion. His attitude is amazing. And he is our own!

lysglimt

Scout
As a footballer he has an extremely high potential - as a goalscorer, he hasn't.

He will always work hard, create a lot, score some incredible goals - but he will never be clinical. But because of his quality, because of his ability to create chances he will score 15+ League-goals each season, if he injury-free. So his overall contribution to the team will always be high, but he will never come close to Shearer or Kane in terms of goals.

Decomposing In Paris

Even taking into account recent struggles for form, De Gea's still one of the top 10 in the world in his position, arguably Pogba is too, and a case could be made on his day for Maguire. That's not true yet for anyone else in our squad, much as I rate AWB, Martial, & Rashford.

ifightdragons

As a footballer he has an extremely high potential - as a goalscorer, he hasn't.

He will always work hard, create a lot, score some incredible goals - but he will never be clinical. But because of his quality, because of his ability to create chances he will score 15+ League-goals each season, if he injury-free. So his overall contribution to the team will always be high, but he will never come close to Shearer or Kane in terms of goals.
Spot on. What we need is a van Nistelrooy.

YNWAManUnited

As of now, I'd say Pogba and De Gea are the only players who are better than him. It doesn't help him that he has been switching between striker and winger. Rashford is not a natural winger but he has great movement, very good pace and understanding of when and where to run combined with good link up play. However, with his work rate he needs to be a better judge when to press and when not to so he keeps his pace during the game.

His strong right foot makes him threat from the left side of the box and he attracts alot of attention from the defense which provides opportunity for his team mates around the penalty spot. It would help him if he played with a striker complementing his game in the centre (Haaland?) and a offensive CM making runs into the centre.

To take the next step, besides improving his finishing, he needs to improve his anticipation and movement in the box. He doesn't get alot of the easy goals.

He's young, he's quality and he will keep improving.

Member 119614

Well I don't think he has a goal in him like the one Martial scored vs Partizan or his debut goal vs Liverpool. Martial is more talented and exciting in my book. Despite scoring goals regularly he is having a poor season but it looks like his confidence is improving.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Nobody who isn't Nostradamus can say which way his development will go at this point. I get we are on a football forum and talk about United, but sometimes it's a bit over the top imo. I for one just enjoy seeing such a talented youth product play and develop for us. Sometimes he frustrates, sometimes he is sensational. I'm excited to find out how our journey with Marcus Rashford will continue.
Nostradamus couldn’t either mate, his stuff was fake news!

Tarrou

he's definitely top 3

I'd probably have Pogba and Martial above him, though

RUCK4444

I would agree Rashford is our most valuable player.

We don’t have anybody else other than Martial who has the potential to be better.

Rashford has a huge ceiling

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's a top 5 player in our squad for sure but we also need to buy players which would bump him out of that top 5 if we want to compete for titles against the best again.

AFC NimbleThumb

His fitness & his record in big games [plus some recency bias] would see me agreeing with the OP.

De Gea & Pogba should be clearly ahead in this debate though.

eire-red

Can't see the logic in people denying this and stating Pobga and Martial are clearly our most valuable players. Almost everything that has been good this season from United has come from Rashford.

He's still not at the level we need, but when he's left in that free role on the left he has more influence on the game than any of our players. Top goalscorer, most assists, pretty much looks our most dangerous player every game. Pogba may be our most talented player, but has never shown the desire Rashford has, nor has Pogba ever played to his potential for a consistent period of time.

Same goes for both Martial and Rashford really, but if Rashford can produce similar performances to what he produced against Belgrade in the first half, he'll easily become our most valuable player by the end of the season.

He tore Belgrade to shreds in the first half. If he was a better finisher then he could have scored 3/4. Been a while since we've been able to sit back and watch a player tear a team apart with such ease. Maybe let's focus less on the negatives in his game, and blatantly disregard his potential in favour of players who haven't shown much better in the last couple of seasons, and instead hope the lad does become our most important player and bring his game to the next level.

Nothing more satisfying than watching a local lad who loves the club in the form he's in. Let's just enjoy it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His workrate
His attitude
His comittment to the club
His young age
The responsibility he takes on board
His will to make things happen
His contribution in every game
And the fact he could get into any other top team in the PL and rest of Europe for that matter. Bar RM and Barcelona maybe!
:lol: :lol:

cyril C

Martial is better.
Agree. Rashford only runs and shoot, may be score 1 every 5-6 chances. martial plays the crucial #9 role which Rashford fails, Martial's finishing is also much better, and I rate him (on finishing) better than Greenword. Rashford only better than Martial on mental strength.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
"Best players" in any club are consistent. By that measure neither Rashford nor Pogba are "best" because they are horribly inconsistent. Random games of quality and once-in-a-dozen brilliant goals do not make a footballer "best". No, no, and million times no.

We are in the shite we are in, exactly because our most talented players are inconsistent and we have a bunch of players that simply aren't good enough. A horrible combination.

Thank God for Dan James and AWB - they are the reason I watch the games, and also thankful for Maguire, because without him we would be losing every single game and that would suck even more than it does now.

Member 119614

He actually probably is the most valuable player in terms of a possible transfer fee Utd would receive when he gets sold. Outsiders still rate Rashford pretty highly from what I gather.

meamth

In terms of value, no. Pogba is easily 120 million pounds player.

Rashford, should be valued at 60 million pounds, but if someone wants him they should pay 100 million and above.

In terms of abilities...he should be down the pecking order after Pogba, De Gea and Martial.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I think his ceiling is a lot higher than people are saying to be fair to him. His development is not too different to Bale or Sterling at the same age.

Think he'd be appreciated more in a better side, with Martial in the side he's already looking better. You could see even Martial was finding it hard to get in the game when Rashford was off. The lack of quality in our squad suffocates our own attack.