Marcus Rashford is the most valuable player in our squad

Ekeke

Ok City maybe not. They've already got Sterling playing a similar role. He'd certainly fit in a Klopp set-up. As for European teams outside of RM and Barca, which other teams in the PL and top European leagues do you believe he wouldn't get into? Prefer concrete answers rather than "the less said the better"
Juventus, maybe Inter because of the good partnership they have between strikers already, possibly Atletico Madrid

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't understand why United Fans feel the need to talk things like "Player X was 10 times the player Rashford was" or "his ceiling will be Player Y" or "he will be the new Walcott/Welbeck". I don't even get the point of these comparisons. Nobody who isn't Nostradamus can say which way his development will go at this point. I get we are on a football forum and talk about United, but sometimes it's a bit over the top imo. I for one just enjoy seeing such a talented youth product play and develop for us. Sometimes he frustrates, sometimes he is sensational. I'm excited to find out how our journey with Marcus Rashford will continue.
I agree, though its not a United fan issue. Its football-wide. That lad who scored a hat trick for Madrid midweek was dubbed 'the new Neymar' by the media. This kind of commentary is happening everywhere, and it rubs off on fans.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ok City maybe not. They've already got Sterling playing a similar role. He'd certainly fit in a Klopp set-up. As for European teams outside of RM and Barca, which other teams in the PL and top European leagues do you believe he wouldn't get into? Prefer concrete answers rather than "the less said the better"
If you are talking about the starting eleven, he wouldn't start for PSG, Atletico(he would be in the same situation than Correa), Juventus, City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and probably other teams. But he would probably start for Inter, Napoli, at Dortmund it would be a competition but he could win it, Tottenham and Arsenal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If you are talking about the starting eleven, he wouldn't start for PSG, Atletico(he would be in the same situation than Correa), Juventus, City, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern and probably other teams. But he would probably start for Inter, Napoli, at Dortmund it would be a competition but he could win it, Tottenham and Arsenal.
Yeah, agree with this. Also it's not a simple yes no answer, for example, Lemar starts for Atletico, do I take him ahead of Rashford? No. I think Atletico fans would say same about Lemar and won't go with Rashford. Unless the player is very obviously better that what other club have, it will be 50-50 decision with more in favor of existing players in the squad.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
There's 0 chance he'd walk into Liverpool's XI ahead of Salah or Mané. Absolutely none.

At Tottenham he'd be in competition with L. Moura, Lo Celso, Sessegnon and Son. Arsenal would be a better bet if they move Auba in front and drop Lacazette or Pepe, which I find to be frankly doubtful. Chelsea have similar or better wingers in Mount, Pulisic or Willian, so here again his place is all but guaranteed. For other teams see above and I'd argue that he'll be on the bench for Dortmund as he's not better than Brandt or T. Hazard.

I'm not saying he's a shit player, mind. Given space he's proven that he could be lethal, his consistency and finishing can be improved without a doubt. That said I think that he lacks vision, footballing brain and positioning (especially against deep sitting teams) at the moment. His decision making isn't the best as well as his passing. He's 22 though, so by far not the finished product and under a good manager he could definitely go up a level.

Whether he can live up to the expectations remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Red00012

Tammy Abraham has just matched our “most valuable” players best goal scoring season in November.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There's 0 chance he'd walk into Liverpool's XI ahead of Salah or Mané. Absolutely none.

At Tottenham he'd be in competition with L. Moura, Lo Celso, Sessegnon and Son. Arsenal would be a better bet if they move Auba in front and drop Lacazette or Pepe, which I find to be frankly doubtful. Chelsea have similar or better wingers in Mount, Pulisic or Willian, so here again his place is all but guaranteed. For other teams see above and I'd argue that he'll be on the bench for Dortmund as he's not better than Reus or Sancho.

I'm not saying he's a shit player, mind. Given space he's proven that he could be lethal, his consistency and finishing can be improved without a doubt. That said I think that he lacks vision, footballing brain and positioning (especially against deep sitting teams) at the moment. His decision making isn't the best as well as his passing. He's 22 though, so by far not the finished product and under a good manager he could definitely go up a level.

Whether he can live up to the expectations remains to be seen.
For Dortmund the competition would be with Hazard, Brandt and Hakimi, not Sancho and Reus.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
For Dortmund the competition would be with Hazard, Brandt and Hakimi, not Sancho and Reus.
Yeah, you're right but Reus can also play on the left wing as well as a CF even if it's not the case at Dortmund right now.

I'll edit my post nonetheless.

DoomSlayer

Somebody actually said it out loud! :nervous:
It doesn't matter what we say anymore, you can see the dumb or troll threads are popping up almost every day and no actions are taken. I've also noticed that most of the sensible and rational posters are less and less involved in the forum.

I've been following the Caf since 2008 and was excited to finally sign up and get promoted, but now reading through the threads only depresses me or makes me angry, so I try and not involve myself emotionally as I have enough to worry about in real life.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
A lot of this thread is shite. If you would have asked me ten years ago if I’d have taken a Manc academy player with the quality of Rashford I’d have bit your hand off despite the fact we had Rooney, Ronaldo, tevez, Berbatov. The more quality around him the better he will get.

Walters_19_MuFc

Our talisman and as you say, most important player. Amazing again tonight. Like Neville said, we will never truly know how good he can really be until he gets more quality and consistency around him. He's only 22!

buckooo1978

bumping this.....

Rashford has played for United during the most tumultuous times in the last 30 years.

He's played in difficult circumstances, under immense pressure, in disjointed United teams, in flawed tactical approaches under difficult characters.

he's a leader in this new side of Ole's and we are starting to see the consistency arrive.....he's gained experiences many dont have by the age of 30

as I sit here, contemplative in my morning poop.... I ask the question- how good can Rashford be?

in 3 years Rashford (25), Martial (26) and Greenwood (21) could be a frightening and title winning prospect with the right signings.

Given Rasfords physicality and drive I think he can be a Rooney to Greenwood's Ronaldo in the sense that Greenwood will be the classier player and finisher but Rashford will make it possible with his qualities

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It doesn't matter what we say anymore, you can see the dumb or troll threads are popping up almost every day and no actions are taken. I've also noticed that most of the sensible and rational posters are less and less involved in the forum.

I've been following the Caf since 2008 and was excited to finally sign up and get promoted, but now reading through the threads only depresses me or makes me angry, so I try and not involve myself emotionally as I have enough to worry about in real life.
The forum is improved immeasurably by managing your own ignore list liberally.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If we're combining age, commitment to the club and ability, you're probably right.

Pogba is a better player but his commitment is an issue. De Gea has been a better player although is on the decline now & is another who has looked to leave in the past.

Rashford, Martial and Wan-Bissaka are our most important/valuable players right now.

Given Rasfords physicality and drive I think he can be a Rooney to Greenwood's Ronaldo in the sense that Greenwood will be the classier player and finisher but Rashford will make it possible with his qualities
Other way around for me, Rashford=Ronaldo, Greenwood=Rooney

Before the mob start I'm not saying they are as good as them.

Ronaldo was not a fantastic finisher at 21-22, he missed a lot of chances, similar to Rashford now. In fact, his breakout season was 2006-07 when he hit 23 goals from the wing, he was 21-22 that season. Rashford is already on 16 this season, so he should hit that mark or perhaps even beat it. I'm by no means saying Rashford will be anything close to Ronaldo's level, but there are similarities statistically between them at the same age. Rashford seems to be beginning to become a good header of the ball, another thing Ronaldo developed at from 21-22 onwards.

If you look at their PL records in full seasons when they were the same age

Ronaldo at age 18-19 - apps: 29, goals: 4
Rashford at age 18-19 - apps: 32, goals: 5

Ronaldo at age 19-20 - apps: 33, goals: 5
Rashford at age 19-20 - apps: 35, goals: 7

Ronaldo at age 20-21 - apps: 33, goals: 9
Rashford at age 20-21 - apps: 33, goals 10

Ronaldo at age 21-22 - apps: 34, goals: 17
Rashford at age 21-22 (so far) - apps: 20, goals: 12

It's undeniable that it's a strikingly similar record.

Last edited:

Ollie Derbyshire

If we're combining age, commitment to the club and ability, you're probably right.

Pogba is a better player but his commitment is an issue. De Gea has been a better player although is on the decline now & is another who has looked to leave in the past.

Rashford, Martial and Wan-Bissaka are our most important/valuable players right now.

Ronaldo was not a fantastic finisher at 21-22, he missed a lot of chances, similar to Rashford now. In fact, his breakout season was 2006-07 when he hit 23 goals from the wing, he was 21-22 that season. Rashford is already on 16 this season, so he should hit that mark or perhaps even beat it. I'm by no means saying Rashford will be anything close to Ronaldo's level, but there are similarities statistically between them at the same age. Rashford seems to be beginning to become a good header of the ball, another thing Ronaldo developed at from 21-22 onwards.

Rashfords stats are even better when you compare the teams they were/are in, Ronaldo was surrounded with a much high level of player

Paul_Scholes18

He has been key to us getting the Europa league win and the Fa cup at a young age.
Now getting even better in front of goal. His shooting is deadly.

Still a lot to learn when it comes to smart movement and making the right decisions.
Hopefully our current management staff or a future one will work on those things in the future.

KekiZeki

He definitely is. If we were to put him on the market he'd fetch the best price. Pogba's wages alone would cut the price down if we were to sell, not to mention his problematic caracter.

United58

ldo was not a fantastic finisher at 21-22, he missed a lot of chances, similar to Rashford now. In fact, his breakout season was 2006-07 when he hit 23 goals from the wing, he was 21-22 that season. Rashford is already on 16 this season, so he should hit that mark or perhaps even beat it. I'm by no means saying Rashford will be anything close to Ronaldo's level, but there are similarities statistically between them at the same age. Rashford seems to be beginning to become a good header of the ball, another thing Ronaldo developed at from 21-22 onwards.
While I agree with your sentiments, Ronaldo was always fantastic in the air. Rashford's very timid in the air - brilliant goal against Newcastle aside - and while he is certainly improving, I think it'll remain a (slight) weakness in his game. Not that it matters too much, giving our crossing ability :lol: Why do we hardly ever score from corners, given our players' apparent ability in the air?

Regardless, I'm very excited by Rashford :) My one worry for him is burnout, every manager seems quick to rush him back whenever he's back from injury (though thankfully he seems one of our very few non-injury prone players)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Very interesting stats.
And for Rashford to be spoken about in the same sentence as Ronaldo is significant in its own right.

The most important thing for Rashford to do is to strive to continually improve as does Ronaldo.
In football you cannot ever stand still. You absolutely have to have the mentality to improve and improve and the improve again.

The question is; does he have that driven mentality.

Messi and Ronaldo are close to the end of their fabulous careeres.
Time for a new king...

PoTMS

Most valuable player... to us. I'm sure other teams would possibly take Pogba ahead of him but I know I wouldn't. We'd be even more fecked without Rashford this season.

Pogba is still better and more valuable and it ain’t even close.
that’s the great thing about football, because many many people would think you are completely wrong - including me!

of course it’s hypothetical, but I’d see Rashford going for a significantly more ££ than Pogba if both were sold.

simplyared

Don't get me wrong you caf members. When I said in the OP our most valuable player, I dont mean in money value on the transfer market, as that would of course be Pogba. I'm talking valuable in terms of his importance to our club.

AshRK

His ceiling is unimaginable and with his right attitude sky is his limit. I think the first time I thought the boy was special was when Jose after our first leg win over Celta Vigo said Rashford stays late in training and practices. The boy was alwayss special and is finally showing everyone he has everything to become one of the best. He should never be complacent but considering he likes himself to be compared with Ronaldo he would know better than anyone Ronaldo never became complacent.

One concern I have which @United58 also pointed out above is him getting burnt out. I hope he takes care of his body and hopefully stays away from serious injuries.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Most valuable player... to us. I'm sure other teams would possibly take Pogba ahead of him but I know I wouldn't. We'd be even more fecked without Rashford this season.
Not a fact. Barca has inquired about Rashy, but they have little interest in Pogba

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
De Gea all the way.

Rash will be lucky to be at least once in PL's Team of the Year. Perhaps in the future, perhaps not.

Son

It’s funny cos I was watching a compilation video literally just yesterday of all of nani’s goals while at the club and he really had a sweet strike in him!
Rashford is better than Nani. He can also hit a ball far sweeter imo.

Nani was a good tricky winger but that’s about it. Only one season did he play like something resembling Rashford this year. Rashford could go on to become a legend at this club, he’s mentally stronger with a bigger potential. He’s a special player for us atm.