5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doracle

Did ok without any moments of magic today. Very unlucky with a first time pass to Greenwood in the first half and some intelligent passing.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Pretty fecking terrible. I'm sick of these constant "great" runs he makes while our defenders are on the ball when it's clear to anyone that none of them have enough quality to get the ball to him consistently. It turns into hit and hope and worse, those runs make shaw and Fred much more easy to press as its one less outlet.

Also he's becoming Ole's version of LVG and Rooney where he'll never sub him off. Greenwood was clearly the sharpest forward we had yet gets subbed off constantly while Rashford puts in a stinker.

Ash_G

It takes a lot to make him move in his own half. Very very lazy player.

At this point I don't even know what he is. Wide player? Surely not. Striker? Maybe, but not a very good one.
I find him strange to define as well. Personally it feels like he's allowed to almost do what he wants. He has the talent and confidence that means he will get a return from that but I'm not convinced that we'd get more out as a team if he played for the team more. Just doesn't feel like he makes the right decisions/movements enough and I think to play the way he does the return needs to be a lot more as he kills a lot of momentum often. Either he needs to up his game or we need to really upgrade right wing at the minimum.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I find him strange to define as well. Personally it feels like he's allowed to almost do what he wants. He has the talent and confidence that means he will get a return from that but I'm not convinced that we'd get more out as a team if he played for the team more. Just doesn't feel like he makes the right decisions/movements enough and I think to play the way he does the return needs to be a lot more as he kills a lot of momentum often. Either he needs to up his game or we need to really upgrade right wing at the minimum.
Agreed. To be honest I don't think he feels confident at all though. He has two modes: pass it back and stroll around or dribble into 3 opposition players. Imo when he is confident he is quite useful to the team in general.

What I think is this team needs some structure. I don't see the benefits of all front 4 roaming around, we und up looking very flat.

Ash_G

Agreed. To be honest I don't think he feels confident at all though. He has two modes: pass it back and stroll around or dribble into 3 opposition players. Imo when he is confident he is quite useful to the team in general.

What I think is this team needs some structure. I don't see the benefits of all front 4 roaming around, we und up looking very flat.
Agreed, I don't think it feels like a joined up attack enough. With Rashford (and this might be unfair) I feel like when he passes it back he's assessed that he can't get himself into a shooting position so rather than looking to create he's happy to just slow it down and play it back. It's not all the time of course, and he did try a couple of good ideas today but too often it feels like if he can't get a shot off that he's not interested whether that's in creating space for others or putting in pass.

Raven

He's a moment's player, his influence on matches, generally speaking, is negative unless he's producing an assist or a goal. Really needs to improve his decision making.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think his passing is improving.

That cross field pass for James was great.

Rashford was quite unlucky today that Bruno Fernandes couldn't pick some easy and sometimes clean passes towards him.

Frank White

I think his passing is improving.

That cross field pass for James was great.

Rashford was quite unlucky today that Bruno Fernandes couldn't pick some easy and sometimes clean passes towards him.
Exactly this. Bruno had a shocker in terms of picking Rashford out today, he's usually spot on at knocking the long ball over the top but he messed up quite a few today. Didn't think Rashford didn't much wrong today, didn't do much right either but got nothing of the ball.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There was a period in the second half where I literally forgot he was playing. When we are defending he just stands there and doesn't help Shaw, when we win the ball and Shaw is looking to play it out Rashford continues just standing there instead of showing himself as an option, when Shaw drives the ball forward himself Rashford just stands there until Shaw gives him the ball and then he proceeds to give it away.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Did ok without any moments of magic today. Very unlucky with a first time pass to Greenwood in the first half and some intelligent passing.
Do you also think his passing is improving too? He isnt sneidjer or xavi but has improved a bit compared to the player that couldnt pass at all. His cross field passes in particular has been something new thing I have seen he does quite regularly.

UncleBob

There was a period in the second half where I literally forgot he was playing. When we are defending he just stands there and doesn't help Shaw, when we win the ball and Shaw is looking to play it out Rashford continues just standing there instead of showing himself as an option, when Shaw drives the ball forward himself Rashford just stands there until Shaw gives him the ball and then he proceeds to give it away.
Was it the entire 45?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Do you also think his passing is improving too? He isnt sneidjer or xavi but has improved a bit compared to the player that couldnt pass at all. His cross field passes in particular has been something new thing I have seen he does quite regularly.
His passing has been much improved this season. Lovely left footed pass to James when he had a shot blocked and seems to be be better than anyone else at slipping in Shaw when he overlaps.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We need more out of him. 1 nice pass to James in 90 minutes isn’t enough.

Banana Republic

Lots of others have highlighted his failings today and how poor he is.
A couple of examples sum it up.

2nd half, Chelsea trying to build some forward movement from their own half and Bruno is running round like a madman trying to press the entire Chelsea back line and central midfield. Rashford just stands there doing nothing, hardly moving at all and does nothing to help Bruno, even when the ball comes to a Chelsea player no more than 5 yards away.

2nd half again. Remember that great effort from James, getting to the byline under heavy pressure and managing to cut the ball back across the goal, with Mason just failing to get to it ( would have been a fantastic goal if he had).
Where was Rashford? He wanders to the edge of the box and just stands there flat footed watching.
No movement, no attempt to run in on goal or to the far post (from the cross), where he may have found himself in a scoring position, even a tap in, or able to get to a loose ball if the keeper or defender had knocked it clear.

Those two examples are just typical of his laziness and apparent disengagement from the game.
Nine times out of ten, he can only react and never anticipates.
These traits have been there for a few seasons, even when he’s had good spells and been in scoring form, but they’re getting worst.
I just can’t see this being coached out of him.

Foxbatt

His problem is I feel he thinks he is better than he really is. He tries to beat his man on his own and being English the pundits think no end of him. We need someone to tell him that he needs to pass when it's advantageous for the team instead of trying to take to beat the opposition on his own.

Swiss_Red89

I think it was a difficult game for every forward on the pitch, similar to all our games vs top 6 this season expect the Spurs game.

Rashford lacks the deceisive moments in these games this season, but so does Bruno unfortunately. We need them to produce more in the top 6 games to win them again. There are fine margins as always though. If McTominay completes the squared pass Rashford may have been the matchwinner.

The hyperbole in this thread is sad.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
he also ignores shaws overlapping more often than he should. We definitely need one (if not even 2) of the front 3 to be solidly creative.

Lentwood

I’ve long been a critic of Rashford’s technical ability so I won’t bother going over old ground, but seriously, when/why did he get so lazy?

Countless times today he was off the press. He was the weak link time and time again, switching off, not being close enough, not running with any intensity.

Again, Martial (rightly) gets stick for being lazy but Rashford is as bad defensively

GlasgowCeltic

It of course doesn't matter really at all but there's something about his general demeanour and even the way he celebrates goals at times, like his mind isn't fully there or he isn't enjoying it as much.

The United

His playmaking when he is on the mood is very good. It has been improving since last year.

But, it seems like he loses some spark. I used to see him a lot more passion 12-18 months ago or so.

Now, it seems like he does not bother much. Again, I might be wrong.

I'm sick of hearing and seeing him getting frustrated when nobody picks out his runs. It's because they're arrow straight and require the passing skills of Pirlo and Scholes combined, and he's offside half the time anyway.

Raven

I'm sick of hearing and seeing him getting frustrated when nobody picks out his runs. It's because they're arrow straight and require the passing skills of Pirlo and Scholes combined, and he's offside half the time anyway.
It's especially annoying given that he ignores the runs of his team mates 9 times out of 10.

MadMike

Why is he immune to being subbed.
For whom? With Cavani out, it's only him and Bruno that can score a goal.

Martial and Greewood have been very poor productivity-wise this season. In fact the two of them combined have been less productive than Rashford alone.

Are you telling me that if he was taken off for Martial today at 60-70 mins, you feel that the James, Martial, Greenwood triplet was more likely to score? In what universe?

Fact is, while 2 out of 4 strikers in the team are having an abysmal season and the 3rd (Cavani) is in and out of the team due to injuries and suspensions... Rashford has to play if we want to even have a hope of scoring a goal.

Same goes for Bruno. He was also terrible today like Rashford but (given Pogba is also out) if you take him out of the team as well, then where will the goals come from?

We are extremely reliant on Bruno and Rashford because the other options haven't proved to be half as good.

MadDogg

I’ve long been a critic of Rashford’s technical ability so I won’t bother going over old ground, but seriously, when/why did he get so lazy?
It started at the beginning of last season, and only seems to have gotten worse since then. For somebody who used to be noted for his workrate and willingness to press the opposition, it's incredible how completely that has changed.

Water Melon

Rashy is as shit this season as Martial is, yet almost never gets subbed. He tries to dribble past 4-5 players and loses the ball or crosses only when he has all the time in the world. He does not read the game well, thus rarely makes that final pass while carrying the ball. Mason and Cavani should be our CFs, while the former two continue to play from wings.

MadDogg

Rashy is as shit this season as Martial is, yet almost never gets subbed.
His general play is often just as bad, but the difference (and it's a fairly big difference to be fair) is that Rashford still regularly scores or assists even when he's playing shit. He and Bruno are the only two with a decent chance of getting us a goal so it's difficult to take either of them off even when they aren't playing well.

Lentwood

Covered less ground than Maguire today. Only ~200m more than Lindelof.

If that is accurate then that is totally unacceptable.

When you press, if one player is half a beat off it then you give the opponent a way out and undo all of the good work your teammates have done. It was obvious to the eye that Rashford was the weak link in the press again yesterday but if those stats are accurate then its indefensible

Idxomer

Covered less ground than Maguire today. Only ~200m more than Lindelof.

That's why his presence on the pitch is harmful to the team whenever he doesn't score or assist.

I like the guy but this special treatment from the coaching staff won't do him any favors in the long term.

Born2Lose

I can't help thinking that there is no way Rashford would be a starter in either of our past two CL winning teams, if that's the level we're looking to reach then like most of our current players he should be looked at as upgradeable over the longer term.

Kag

Countless times today he was off the press. He was the weak link time and time again, switching off, not being close enough, not running with any intensity.

Again, Martial (rightly) gets stick for being lazy but Rashford is as bad defensively
His body language is often appalling, you’re right.

pascell

He hasn't looked the same in body language and intensity since coming back from the double stress fracture in his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.