5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MS4

It's strange, he does not play well on the right side but he is still always a threat and the opponents reacts to "Rashford is on the pitch" no matter if he is on the right or left, even though he does not produce much on the right side

Lassitude42

I think we've got to play Rashford on the left or not at all. Greenwood is so much more effective on the right.

I find his decision making bizarre at times. Stop trying to skin 3-4 players and keep the ball moving ffs

Godfather

I agree he was rubbish. I just saw a lot of single/two word posts from you. Wasn’t sure if this was an account that just randomly generated phrases.
Well sometimes a single word says it all. But yeah you won't find anything meaningful from me during matchdays.

Varun

Staff
Absolutely garbage on the right so no real surprise when he stank the place out. It's on Ole as much as it is on him though.

Nicolarra90

Made my mind up on him.
He's just Nani.

A forward Nani.

Our most frustrating player, capable of being world class for a month and then championship level the next one.

Pickle85

Such a frustrating player to watch at the moment. You know he's capable of moments of real quality but they seem to be fewer and further between these days. Still, his numbers for the season are impressive, considering the pasting he gets here. If he is injured and playing through I do question the wisdom of Ole in letting him do it. Would be such a shame if a fairly minor issue that could have been solved with rest and/or an op became something more serious, longer term and debilitating because we insist on playing him. I like him when he's running at defenders but his decision making remains questionable. The thing that's annoyed me the most about this season, though, is the work rate doesn't really seem to be there. Again, likely to do with the injury but it's so irritating watching him stroll or stand hands on hips while Cavani is running around like a madman.

Robindinho

Ole has a blind spot for him, picking him on name, not merit...

Shouldn’t be starting games currently - especially when it means Greenwood is left out to accommodate him.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Pogba staying might be bad news for Rashford as it seems Ole has dropped the idea that Pogba can play in the double pivot.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I honestly don't enjoy him that much as a player. He's clearly improved massively since his breakthrough and at his best he's unplayable but his bottom level is absolutely shocking. It's a credit to him that he still manages to produce moments even when playing poorly but he frustrates the life out of me, particularly this season. Not sure what it is but stylistically he's just not my kind of player. Much much prefer watching an inform Martial or Greenwood who both have superior technical skills and ball retention. I'm just not convinced at the moment that we will win big titles with both Bruno and Rashford in the side as both are so wasteful. The difference is that Bruno has that extra bit of quality, that bit of wizardry that the team needs which I'm not convinced Rashford delivers enough to compensate for the number of moves that he breaks down. Seeing Pogba on the left and Greenwood on the right is our strongest attack for me and leave Rashford as an impact sub, unfortunately Ole favours Rashford above anyone else and certainly seems to prioritise him over Greenwood which is a mistake I reckon.

Craig Ward

Pogba staying might be bad news for Rashford as it seems Ole has dropped the idea that Pogba can play in the double pivot.
On the flip side, it could be genius from Ole.

Rashford now knows he has real competition for the LW - so he has to elevate his game.

Much like having Telles around has pushed Shaw on.....

Every great squad needs proper competition for places - something we have sorely lacked for years across the squad. Lets get real, the majority of our starting 11 know they're place is secured which is not healthy. We need competition for places simple as that

RW doesnt suit Rashford - although he has had good moments there in the past lets not forget.

He's always been inconsistent but lets not bash him too much - he's still a player of real quality

Andersons Dietician

I don’t think his poor performance had anything to do with him being on the right. He was just poor. The only difference is he can’t come inside and smash a shot which is more often than not what saves him on the left.

Hes played much better this season at times on the right, just wasn’t his night. But if we bring in a Sancho or Grealish he’ll probably find his new position is that right hand side. Just seemed to get stuck in old habits of trying to take on too many people instead of passing, or ignoring passes in favour of trying to carve himself out a chance to shoot. Which inevitably broke down. Hopefully it’s just a light blip and he gets back some form.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think he was bad at all last night. Despite not being comfortable on the right he was still a threat, I feel like when he doesn’t score people come on here and try to outdo each other’s disapproval of his performance.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Ole plays him because hes a threat, on either side and his numbers for the season back this up. However I think now Mason and Pogba have more consistent form.

For me he's an explosive impact player, when he's on it he's so good but when hes not I find him quite frustrating. You wont get 7.5/8 every week from him, you'll get a few games at 9's and 10's then 4's and 5's, seems to be more 4's and 5's lately though.

Seems to walk about a lot lately looking down at his feet pondering for some reason.

Swiss_Red89

He played him there in the second half against Burnley. I think it depends on opponent and situation.

And as others have mentioned, i think it will bring the best out of Rashford as he isn't as secure of his spot as previous.

Regarding yesterdays performance, there is a lot of hyperbole in this thread. Of course he is capable of playing better than yesterday, but he clearly wasn't rubbish or shit or anything for me. Some things he has tried have worked, some didn't. The last performance where he really was shit and rubbish was against Crystal Palace away.

simplyared

He's calmed down a bit of late. Not as explosive as we know him but I reckon it's understandable. Wouldn't surprise me if the coaching staff has told him to put the brakes on a tad. Thinking of his fitness and nearest future. All part of his development. Still good enough though and he'll learn and become even better.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Pogba being in form is not bad news for Rashford, it’s great news for us. Let’s not forget that Pogba was out of form and injured for a longer period, Rashford is currently out of form and carrying injuries. This kind of stuff will keep happening. We need several good players because only then we will keep playing well even if a couple of them are injured or out of form at times.
Look how City didn’t suffer when De Bruyne was out as they have so many other attacking players.
We need to buy Sancho as well and not worry about who plays where when everyone is fit.

KW2006

He was poor last night. But I think Ole picked him for a reason.

Pogba - Creativity
Cavani - Focal Point
Rashy - Pace

All three offer different values.

With the pace of Rashy, no matter he performs well or not, would push the opponent's back line to stay back a little bit, thus offer enough rooms for Cavani and Pogba to operate. In this aspect he is more efficient than Jones because the opponents fear him more.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
yeah it does seem like we've finally found Pogba's best position which does present a problem for Rashford, good for the team though actually having options rather than being screwed as soon as we get an injury

still feel with the right foundations behind him Pogba and Bruno could both play as part of a 3 man midfield with Rashford/Cavani/Greenwood ahead of them

it changes by the week but right now a CB and DM look the most pressing areas for the summer window

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ole has a blind spot for him, picking him on name, not merit...

Shouldn’t be starting games currently - especially when it means Greenwood is left out to accommodate him.
Hes just trying to play him back into the spark. I would have dropped Bruno to the bench after Leeds to be honest and look how he replied. I think Rashford is getting an easier ride because of this injury talk but he’s always been liable to make poor decisions on the pitch. He needs to sort it out if he wants to make the jump from one of the better PL players to one of the best around. He has the talent but I’m not sure how it’ll go when he makes the same mistakes on repeat. It’s like his mind goes blank or something. He’s not productive or ruthless enough to be our main everything goes through him forward and he’s not creative or unpredictable enough to be an out and out winger either. If he’s going to be a winger he’s going to need to sort out his creativity and I don’t really ever see him at ST. Unfortunately he currently makes our play too predictable and he’s probably played himself out of our strongest 11 since January.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

Hes just trying to play him back into the spark. I would have dropped Bruno to the bench after Leeds to be honest and look how he replied. I guess the manager knows his players fitness. I think Rashford is getting an easier ride because of this injury talk but he’s always been liable to make poor decisions on the pitch. He needs to sort it out if he wants to make the jump from one of the better PL players to one of the best around. He has the talent but I’m not sure how it’ll go when he makes the same mistakes on repeat. It’s like his mind goes blank or something
This. The manager has a bond with these players, some you drop some you play into form.

I don’t think Rashford is the type that benefits from being dropped.

Plus (imo) the position he usually plays off the left is one where he still always links well with Shaw, so even if he’s not quite on it and banging in goals he’s also not deadweight on the pitch (unlike Martial when he’s out of form.)

I don’t believe it’a blind loyalty from the manager.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This. The manager has a bond with these players, some you drop some you play into form.

I don’t think Rashford is the type that benefits from being dropped.

Plus (imo) the position he usually plays off the left is one where he still always links well with Shaw, so even if he’s not quite on it and banging in goals he’s also not deadweight on the pitch (unlike Martial when he’s out of form.)

I don’t believe it’a blind loyalty from the manager.
To be fair he looked much brighter against Burnley after only one match off and then standard enough kind of thing in the last match. We should be winding him down now and keeping him fresh for the EL. We were all over Roma yesterday and he was walking around the pitch. Greenwood is much better than him on the right and I think Pogba is currently better on the left.

RUCK4444

To be fair he looked much brighter against Burnley after only one match off. We should be winding him down now and keeping him fresh for the EL. We were all over Roma yesterday and he was walking around the pitch. Greenwood is much better than him on the right and I think Pogba is currently better on the left.
I’ve no problem playing Pogba on the left instead.

Just get the feeling he’s one that won’t benefit hugely from being dropped, however I think this knock he’s carrying is a cause for his drop in form as well. So yeah probably better to rest him and play Pogba in that position whilst Paul’s in this form as well.

TrustInOle

I thought it was one of his better games coming of the RW, especially second half, always looked to beat his man or create something. But should definatley not be a long term option. Hopefully Diallo can compete abit with Mason for the spot. Keep Rashford coming of the left or as a striker.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Rashford is easily our best LW. He's got 20 goals and 13 assists from playing there this season and whilst carrying an injury too. He links up with Shaw the best out of them all too.

I feel sorry for him a bit. Overplayed, rushed back at times and shunted onto the right to accommodate the midfielders. Pogba should be playing CM.

SamMank_86

Seen a couple of stories coming out in the press that Marcus has been carrying an injury for quite some time. I have to say, it wouldn’t surprise me given his body language and application in certain situations (head is often low, looks frustrated with himself and a bit dejected when a move doesn’t come off).
Usually he is very positive and a driving force for the front line.

Anyone else noticed this or am I looking too much into it?

Mr Smith

If a marquee winger comes in, he’s in trouble.
I actually think if we sign Sancho he'll play a lot of games at striker next season. His goal return has improved and if we persist with Pogba in this free role on the left, then we're better off alternating him with Cavani than Greenwood, who's much better on the right.

It is a bit concerning that we can't just get him consistently playing in one position. If we could play Bruno and Pogba as free 8's with a world-class DM behind he could just play on the left every game (where he's obviously best) and we wouldn't have this issue, but I'm not sure if that players is available in the market.

KennyBurner

Meh but then again he isnt suited to the right against a low block. Just rest him Ole not everyday stress your players.

Not even sure if he starts against Liverpool. Pogba is in great form and its clear his best performances are coming in from Rashford best position.

Dr Foo

Seen a couple of stories coming out in the press that Marcus has been carrying an injury for quite some time. I have to say, it wouldn’t surprise me given his body language and application in certain situations (head is often low, looks frustrated with himself and a bit dejected when a move doesn’t come off).
Usually he is very positive and a driving force for the front line.

Anyone else noticed this or am I looking too much into it?
I think it's quite clear that he's not playing as free as he normally does. Ole has said he's had to manage Rashford's pain and injuries the past year. When he got a rest prior and played against Burnley, we saw more of his usual spark

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I hope we rest him as much as possible before the final. I expect he probably will play against Liverpool (doesn't he have a good record against them), but he should get the Roma and Villa games off before we face Leicester. Then we have Fulham and Wolves so he should play only one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.