5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Handré1990

He didn’t try and do it in an eye catching way, he did it in a way that gave him the most control over the situation. It allowed him to send the goalkeeper the wrong way and avoid exactly the situation Sancho and Saka found themselves in: hit and hope, and with the goalkeeper in control.

The trade off for that control is a much higher level of technical execution and composure is required. It was a courageous choice to make, not an arrogant one. If you look at some of the most effective penalty takers around today, they follow the same technique - not for panache but for consistent control.

The reason people are judging him differently is because people have false preconceptions about him and his choices.
Well said. He was a cm or two away after completely tricking Donnarumma.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Sults, as @roonster09 just posted, he's been using that technique for a year now and has been quite effective from it.
I'm fine Rashford using the technique. He would have been hailed as a hero had the ball been a few centimetres on the other side of the post.

Cloud7

Hopefully he gets some much needed rest now, and surgery if he really does need it. He’s not looked fully fit for about a year, so I’m inclined to think he probably does need it.

Marwood

Georginho also missed and he's probably one of the best at that technique. I thought Rashford got caught up in two minds. He started off running then he either got nervous or lost his run-up resulting in that penalty technique.
Thought it was all as planned and well executed right up to sending the keeper the wrong way. Did the hard part and then pretty much has an empty goal.

But with that empty goal you don't then have to stick it right in the corner. That's the whole point of that type of pen.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
People forgetting that Mr 100% and regular Chelsea penalty taker Jorginho also missed in the same shootout. There was huge pressure on those kicks.

Southgate cost us the game by sitting back. We had the tools to hurt Italy at the back and we chose to defend the entire game after we scored early.

Siezard

Rashford should never have revealed his medical condition on twitter or social media. What would you do if you are the coach and the player announced to the whole world he has a back injury, it's nagging him and he will take a surgery after the competition? (You must never reveal your injury unless you are fully recovered)

Very likely, you will play him much less as his coach. You don't want to be blamed for playing an injured player, resulting in the team loss so there's no way Rashford will play much this tournament. So Rashford created the future for himself where he will just come out in the last few mins and take the penalty kick but he failed.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolutely gutted for Marcus.

He looked so upset bless him - I can only say in the end thankfully 2 others missed to share the burden with him.

He really deserves to have a long rest now, but unfortunately he won't get that either.

He's going to need our support a lot this year, as no doubt he will get trolled by opposition crowds throughout the country.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just imagine the Martial thread if he was in the same situation for France and missed his penalty. Thats why I’m not buying the support our lads because a lot of people on this forum don’t support our own players in our own club. Just go back to the Martial thread when he missed against PSG when the ball bounced up slaughtered for months.

Why I’m on Rashford is because so many times he can make something happen for a teammate, but Rashford only wants to make something happen for himself and the name Marcus Rashford not the club Manchester United and then we got people complaining about his teammates when it’s not easy to play with they guy. He rather do it all by himself, unable to see a pass or just not having the understanding of what he should do.

For the coming season I really want to see a mature Rashford that plays for the team I don’t care if he scores 30 I rather see the team score 30 together.
How the hell did this post get a like?

shahzy

No point blaming players for penalty misses imo. Every team should be trying to win the game within ET at the latest. If you cant win before that either your tactics are shit or your team is outclassed heavily. Here it was the former.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Georginho also missed and he's probably one of the best at that technique. I thought Rashford got caught up in two minds. He started off running then he either got nervous or lost his run-up resulting in that penalty technique.
Jorginho* sults ;) I think he just mishit it slightly. Caught it on the lower part of his foot rather than the center which made it go wide.

dinostar77

Hopefully he gets some much needed rest now, and surgery if he really does need it. He’s not looked fully fit for about a year, so I’m inclined to think he probably does need it.
Couldn't agree more. Playing injured and too many games over the season. Lad needs to get his surgery done, rest and recuperate. Hopefully the fans will be back at OT next season and when he comes on for his season debut he'll get a nice round of applause from the fans.

Parma Dewol

Can't wait for his return to Old Trafford after he's had his surgery. We'll give him a huge reception.

Womp

idiot
Rashford should never have revealed his medical condition on twitter or social media. What would you do if you are the coach and the player announced to the whole world he has a back injury, it's nagging him and he will take a surgery after the competition? (You must never reveal your injury unless you are fully recovered)

Very likely, you will play him much less as his coach. You don't want to be blamed for playing an injured player, resulting in the team loss so there's no way Rashford will play much this tournament. So Rashford created the future for himself where he will just come out in the last few mins and take the penalty kick but he failed.
I'm sure they would have already been well aware. Players discuss these things with the medical staff etc. It's not like everyone was completely oblivious to it before he made that announcement.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Imagine being such a prick that after last nights match you feel the need to post negatively and can’t empathise with a (young) human being who has experienced what Rashford, Sancho and Sako did last night. It is only football ffs. Literally a game at its most basic and a human story at its most complicated. I can’t stand people that see it so importantly that they need to criticise moments of what will obviously be a players personal despair like last night.

To anyone posting negative shit, either here or on other Social media, imagine Rashford (or Sancho and Sako) was your son. Would you criticise them for last night? Or would you put your arms around them?

I have competed in front of crowds of maybe 1000, the pressure was insane and that would have only been an incomparably minute fraction of what those players last night faced in that shootout. Most people I would imagine, who are posting unsympathetic bullshit, would literally crap their pants even walking up to that penalty spot, in front of tens of thousands of fans in the stadium and millions in front of TVs worldwide. Cowards.

charlenefan

Imagine being such a prick that after last nights match you feel the need to post negatively and can’t empathise with a (young) human being who has experienced what Rashford, Sancho and Sako did last night. It is only football ffs. Literally a game at its most basic and a human story at its most complicated. I can’t stand people that see it so importantly that they need to criticise moments of what will obviously be a players personal despair like last night.

To anyone posting negative shit, either here or on other Social media, imagine Rashford (or Sancho and Sako) was your son. Would you criticise them for last night? Or would you put your arms around them?

I have competed in front of crowds of maybe 1000, the pressure was insane and that would have only been an incomparably minute fraction of what those players last night faced in that shootout. Most people I would imagine, who are posting unsympathetic bullshit, would literally crap their pants even walking up to that penalty spot, in front of tens of thousands of fans in the stadium and millions in front of TVs worldwide. Cowards.
Let's not imagine some of the vile people in this thread with the responsibility of raising a child eh, they shouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors let alone anything else

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He didn’t try and do it in an eye catching way, he did it in a way that gave him the most control over the situation. It allowed him to send the goalkeeper the wrong way and avoid exactly the situation Sancho and Saka found themselves in: hit and hope, and with the goalkeeper in control.

The trade off for that control is a much higher level of technical execution and composure is required. It was a courageous choice to make, not an arrogant one. If you look at some of the most effective penalty takers around today, they follow the same technique - not for panache but for consistent control.

The reason people are judging him differently is because people have false preconceptions about him and his choices.
I in no way blame Rashford for his penalty miss but why try something he's never done before in the biggest game of his career? Nerves obviously play a big part but in that situation players shouldn't over think things and should stick to a trusted method that works best for them. With Rashford it's putting his laces through the ball like he did against PSG a couple of seasons ago.

I can just imagine what was going through his mind taking that penalty. In his run up when he seen that Donnarumma wasn't going to ground he was probably thinking, oh feck what have I done? which made him scuff his shot so unfortunately Rashford does have to take his share of the responsibility but as I said before I don't blame him at all. All the blame lies with Southgate for putting him in that position in the first place.

charlenefan

I in no way blame Rashford for his penalty miss but why try something he's never done before in the biggest game of his career? Nerves obviously play a big part but in that situation players shouldn't over think things and should stick to a trusted method that works best for them. With Rashford it's putting his laces through the ball like he did against PSG a couple of seasons ago.

I can just imagine what was going through his mind taking that penalty. In his run up when he seen that Donnarumma wasn't going to ground he was probably thinking, oh feck what have I done? which made him scuff his shot so unfortunately Rashford does have to take his share of the responsibility but as I said before I don't blame him at all. All the blame lies with Southgate for putting him in that position in the first place.
There's already been a post dispelling this myth

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

He doesn’t rely on that technique but he has used it before to good effect. Certainly wasn’t a spur of the moment decision to try something new and ballsy. For me it was the right decision given how Donnarumma saved the next two more conventional penalties.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
There's already been a post dispelling this myth
I honestly have never seen Rashford take a penalty like this ever although to be fair I did miss a few more games than normal last season. It was a brave choice from him to try that type of peno but with his confidence at a low point added with the nerves of taking a penalty in England's biggest game in half a century maybe it wasn't the best choice of kick to try. Although hindsight is a wonder thing. Stick to what you're good at which in Rashford's case is power instead of over complicating things.

charlenefan

I honestly have never seen Rashford take a penalty like this ever although to be fair I did miss a few more games than normal last season. It was a brave choice from him to try that type of peno but with his confidence at a low point added with the nerves of taking a penalty in England's biggest game in half a century maybe it wasn't the best choice of kick to try. Although hindsight is a wonder thing. Stick to what you're good at which in Rashford's case is power instead of over complicating things.
Well there you go, read back a few pages and you'll see a post highlighting a number of penalties all scored with the same technique

Nickelodeon

No point in criticizing young players over penalty misses. Its just what happens in shootouts. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. I would always argue that the blame has to be on the manager who decided to take it to the lottery rather than actually risking enough to win the damn thing.

Clear parallels between our Europa final and this one. Not sure why both England and United didn't try enough during ET.

But the penalty takers can't have any blame attached. I also argued that De Gea shouldn't have been made a scapegoat but for some reason, that found few takers.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
He doesn’t rely on that technique but he has used it before to good effect. Certainly wasn’t a spur of the moment decision to try something new and ballsy. For me it was the right decision given how Donnarumma saved the next two more conventional penalties.
For me in these type of critical games, unless you're Bruno or Jorginho (even though the pressure got to him) a player should just put his laces through the ball like Kane normally does or how Maguire did yesterday. Especially when you can hit a ball as well as Rashford can. Sancho and Saka both went for placement which will always give a keeper a chance. Once again I'm not blaming any of the 3 that missed. That goes directly onto Southgates shoulders but I do think that Rashford was slightly naive in his choice of penalty even if he was only a few centimeters away. When suffering from nerves the last thing needed is to overthink things.

I don't have time going through Rashfords stats but I'd appreciate if someone could tell me how many times Rashford has used this technique and his success rate?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Get his surgery and hopefully he will be back to his best. Carrying an injury can lead to problems elsewhere, which I think is what has happened here. Think the initial back injury has caused problems in other areas, even though his back has been fixed. Just hope we give him chance to recuperate properly and don't rush him back.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Sorry for the shit sources.

From the Sun:

And asked whether he needed an operation, Man Utd ace Rashford, 23, said: “I have to decide after - it's either an operation or I don’t get an operation on my shoulder.

“I’m not 100 per cent sure if I need it yet. I’ll finish strongly here and like I said I’ve got a few weeks off to just relax and decide what I’m going to do.

“The doctors have not said how long I’d be out for.

----

And from the Telegraph:

Marcus Rashford may need shoulder surgery after European Championship
Manchester United striker suffered muscle tear in his left shoulder against Arsenal in November and problem has yet to correct itself

---

If it's rotator cuff surgery, that could mean he's out for months. Can anyone more knowledgeable chip in?

charlenefan

People talking about his shoulder and yet it was his ankle that was causing him issues at the end of the season (he even referenced it in his post EL Final interview)

Surgery or not let him have a good rest even if it means he misses the first month of the season

Giggsyking

He shouldn't have even been in the euro squad, never mind taking a crucial penalty in the final, he was selected in the squad on name alone.
What a stupid post! He was selected because he scored 20 goals in the season. Have you ever played football?

OL29

Plastic Utd fans who don't even come from England is the reason. Most would be City fans if they were born 20 years later in life.

Cretins.
Behave, I’ve seen you absolutely slaughter some of our players this season, so what makes the ones criticising Rashford plastic, and you a superior fan? It seems that foreign players are fair game but if you say a word about our English players you’re a plastic. Double standards.

UncleBob

People on the Let's Laugh at England thread are probably wanking to this.
Since when are we judging people for what they wank to :nervous:

It's a bit amusing that Rashford has annoyed politicians to the point where they post something like that.

IRN-BRUno

I can't understand why so many of our fans appear to take delight in bashing our players at every opportunity.

You don't have to love Marcus, it's okay if in your opinion he's not good enough but is it that difficult to get behind him? He's one of us and just had a horrible experience. We need to support him and not add to the abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.